CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
carolina_corpsman
taylorssc
Spur's Addiction
TaySC
etowngangsta
SheckWes
rt3891
wildwes
TastyLicks
TAFC 5 1981
Facilities (1612)
Getting Paid. (1302)
Muschamp: the anti- (1026)
2020 Charlie Spegal (857)
Didn't catch the lat (423)
Hey Y'all...Penny Ma (254)
Football staff raise (202)
2020 Warm / Warmer / (159)
Dinosaur footprints (112)
2020 - Deidrick Stan (62)
100 DAYS!!!
2019 Warm / Warmer / Favo
2019 - Reddy Steward
2019 - Samuel Brooks - Mi
2020 - Deidrick Stanley
2019 - Tyron Hopper - Flo
2019 - Jashawn Sheffield
2019 - John Dixon
2019 Commitment - Jahkeem
2019 - Matthew Bedford -

Old 10-10-2018, 03:47 PM   #41
WeDemBoyz
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 5500
WeDemBoyz is developing his combWeDemBoyz is developing his combWeDemBoyz is developing his combWeDemBoyz is developing his combWeDemBoyz is developing his combWeDemBoyz is developing his combWeDemBoyz is developing his combWeDemBoyz is developing his comb
Default Re: Jake Bentley or Bust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Bedroom View Post
Yes a fade route. If he can throw a wheel route then that is 2. I also saw him use touch when he needed to and throw receivers open
The first TD to Bryan Edwards was beautiful as well, I know the Mizzou defender fell down, but the throw was made before he fell and the ball was thrown only where Bryan could catch it. Scar throws the slant great as well. Bentley could be the best option but I can't say that with 100% certainty now. And who cares, we've never beaten A&M and not gonna win the east, why not try something different?
WeDemBoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 03:49 PM   #42
CapitolCock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1000002258
CapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeDemBoyz View Post
Scar was consistently more accurate, in one game I will say, than Jake typically is. I've seen JB make the throw before then overthrow the open receiver the very next play, or make a pass that leaves a receiver high and dry i.e. leading to drops. I was never for what you are suggesting just throwing guys out there, Scar got his shot through an injury and proved himself in a game, so why not give him another? Or hell just a few series?
Jake's completion percentage is 6 points higher than Scarnecchia's even with 12+ drops that count against him. So I can't really agree with that.

Quote:
Yes a fade route. If he can throw a wheel route then that is 2. I also saw him use touch when he needed to and throw receivers open
Edwards absolutely burned that guy out there. I could have made that throw. I agree that Scarnecchia did use some quality touch and the appropriate level of velocity on his throws, but I think Jake gets burned because when his receivers drop passes, people are quick to say he threw it too hard. I just don't really buy that. Yes, there are a couple where he probably could have used more touch, but I don't see a systemic problem there.
CapitolCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 03:52 PM   #43
WeDemBoyz
4-Star

Male

WeDemBoyz is developing his combWeDemBoyz is developing his combWeDemBoyz is developing his combWeDemBoyz is developing his combWeDemBoyz is developing his combWeDemBoyz is developing his combWeDemBoyz is developing his combWeDemBoyz is developing his comb

Quote:
Wtf? He has shown nothing to prove he can play against a good caliber opponent, not a knock but the reality. Sometimes by being the safer option the guy can also be the better option. I am not saying this is the case, but if Scarnecchia could go out against good teams, hit the high percentage throws and not turn the ball over then he should give SC a better chance in those games...in theory.
Hey now he had a good game against a good Michigan defense in the bowl game where our offense scored 0 points in the first 3 quarters and were helped out by some timely UM turnovers! That's a good game right there. I swear our fan base needs to wake the hell up. I've been hearing Bentley is no good ever since he got here and could not would not buy into that and get so mad, but after UGA and UK this year I'm realizing he's good for 10-17 points against good defenses which will never give us the W. God I hope i'm wrong after this week but I have nothing on Bentley to back him up right now.
Old 10-10-2018, 03:54 PM   #44
NAGamec0ckFan
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 16384
NAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitolCock View Post
I've been all over this board the last two days saying Jake should be the starter. I've also said that Jake needs to clean up some of his forced throws, and quite possibly, BMac needs to limit the amount of decision-making ability that Jake has. He still needs to have more than what Scarnecchia was given against Missouri, but maybe just a little bit less than what he currently has.

But here we go...

1. Jake has a much higher upside. WAY higher upside.
2. Missouri just isn't even that good defensively. Jake has played against way tougher defenses, including UGA, who he played really well against.
3. You're saying Scarnecchia is our better option based on a single game where he wasn't even asked to do that much.
4. Jake has been a three-year (two and a half) starter over Scarnecchia who has been here for 5 years. I don't think any of us have more first-hand knowledge of the two than Muschamp/McClendon/Werner.

There are four things right there just to kick off our conversation if you want to have one. Can't wait to hear about how Jake is only starting because his dad is on staff though.
1. Does Jake have a higher upside? I'm not so sure any more. He's in his third year and doesn't look any better than his first. He doesn't have that "it" factor.
2. Irrelevant
3. I'm not saying Scar is our better option, but he looked better running the offense last week than Bentley has all year so he has earned the right to start the next game. If he stinks it up, put Bentley back in. If he continues to run the offense as efficiently as he did last week, let him play.
4. Politics
NAGamec0ckFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 03:54 PM   #45
CapitolCock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Wtf? He has shown nothing to prove he can play against a good caliber opponent, not a knock but the reality. Sometimes by being the safer option the guy can also be the better option. I am not saying this is the case, but if Scarnecchia could go out against good teams, hit the high percentage throws and not turn the ball over then he should give SC a better chance in those games...in theory.
Other than Kentucky and Clemson, I can't really think of a game where he's played so poorly that he should sit. I just can't. I get that our record hasn't been great against ranked teams, but we also just weren't that good the past couple years. 2016 we were bad, but made it into a bowl game mostly due to elevated QB play when we put Jake in. 2017 was honestly a good year (record-wise) with a lack of talent. We just made the most out of the players that we had. This year, we ran into a buzzsaw at Kentucky. That happens.
Old 10-10-2018, 03:55 PM   #46
WeDemBoyz
4-Star

Male

Quote:
Jake's completion percentage is 6 points higher than Scarnecchia's even with 12+ drops that count against him. So I can't really agree with that.

Edwards absolutely burned that guy out there. I could have made that throw. I agree that Scarnecchia did use some quality touch and the appropriate level of velocity on his throws, but I think Jake gets burned because when his receivers drop passes, people are quick to say he threw it too hard. I just don't really buy that. Yes, there are a couple where he probably could have used more touch, but I don't see a systemic problem there.
Receivers drop his passes because they are thrown too low, too high, too behind, too hard from 5 yards away too often. Spurrier said it all the time you have throw a catchable ball. You could not have made the Edwards throw it was put. Anyways i'm done I mean obviously everyone agrees to disagree on here which is completely fine, it's the nature of being a fan but ppl need to stop getting all butt hurt when someone says something that isn't their opinion.
Old 10-10-2018, 03:57 PM   #47
CapitolCock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAGamec0ckFan View Post
1. Does Jake have a higher upside? I'm not so sure any more. He's in his third year and doesn't look any better than his first. He doesn't have that "it" factor.
2. Irrelevant
3. I'm not saying Scar is our better option, but he looked better running the offense last week than Bentley has all year so he has earned the right to start the next game. If he stinks it up, put Bentley back in. If he continues to run the offense as efficiently as he did last week, let him play.
4. Politics
Ha. How is #2 irrelevant? Scarnecchia hasn't played anybody, but you want to crown him as our new starting QB based on that performance. You know, Matt Flynn stepped in for Rodgers one week and threw 6 touchdowns (either 5 or 6). Maybe he should have been the starter for the Packers in the playoffs?
3. It was a different offense. Scarnecchia wasn't asked to do much. That was pretty clear to anybody who watched the game.
4. Give me a break.
Old 10-10-2018, 03:58 PM   #48
CapitolCock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Receivers drop his passes because they are thrown too low, too high, too behind, too hard from 5 yards away too often. Spurrier said it all the time you have throw a catchable ball. You could not have made the Edwards throw it was put. Anyways i'm done I mean obviously everyone agrees to disagree on here which is completely fine, it's the nature of being a fan but ppl need to stop getting all butt hurt when someone says something that isn't their opinion.
And yet, he still has a higher completion percentage than Scarnecchia. How could that be?
Old 10-10-2018, 03:59 PM   #49
tedginn07
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
tedginn07 has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Indeed ball placement is a big key on playing qb and not getting your receivers killed. Iíve seen Jake do it too many times.
tedginn07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 03:59 PM   #50
tedginn07
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
tedginn07 has hatched from the shell

Quote:
And yet, he still has a higher completion percentage than Scarnecchia. How could that be?
Has more starts...
tedginn07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 04:02 PM   #51
CapitolCock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedginn07 View Post
Has more starts...
Completion percentage has nothing to do with the number of starts.

I FEEL LIKE I'M TAKING CRAZY PILLS.
Old 10-10-2018, 04:04 PM   #52
WeDemBoyz
4-Star

Male

I don't care about stats per se I care about wins, I think ppl focus too much on stats sometimes. Obviously you have to have decent stats to be successful but you can also have all the stats in the world and still not have the "it" factor or not be able to convert on a timely posssesion. Highlights for timely pressure situations this year, Scar sets up a winning field goal against Mizzou, JB scores before half in the 2 minute drill to extend the lead against Coastal Carolina. Again not saying he's the answer, but he deserves a shot over Bentley at this point
Old 10-10-2018, 04:07 PM   #53
NAGamec0ckFan
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 16384
NAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Ha. How is #2 irrelevant? Scarnecchia hasn't played anybody, but you want to crown him as our new starting QB based on that performance. You know, Matt Flynn stepped in for Rodgers one week and threw 6 touchdowns (either 5 or 6). Maybe he should have been the starter for the Packers in the playoffs?
3. It was a different offense. Scarnecchia wasn't asked to do much. That was pretty clear to anybody who watched the game.
4. Give me a break.
I don't want to crown him our new starter, but he earned the right to at least get a chance.
As for 3, it's arguable how much he was given, but he looked pretty good so why not let him open it up. 4, we'll just have to agree to disagree.
NAGamec0ckFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 04:12 PM   #54
CapitolCock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
I don't care about stats per se I care about wins, I think ppl focus too much on stats sometimes. Obviously you have to have decent stats to be successful but you can also have all the stats in the world and still not have the "it" factor or not be able to convert on a timely posssesion. Highlights for timely pressure situations this year, Scar sets up a winning field goal against Mizzou, JB scores before half in the 2 minute drill to extend the lead against Coastal Carolina. Again not saying he's the answer, but he deserves a shot over Bentley at this point
I normally never reference statistics. But generally speaking, completion percentage can indicate whether or not the ball is is getting where it needs to be. But if you remove just 10 dropped passes, he's at 71%. So he's not exactly "inaccurate." He just makes occasional mistakes with the ball that are more memorable than others. He needs to clean that up, but everything else points to him really not having a bad season.
Old 10-10-2018, 04:12 PM   #55
Master Bedroom
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 10500
Master Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot material

Quote:
Hey now he had a good game against a good Michigan defense in the bowl game where our offense scored 0 points in the first 3 quarters and were helped out by some timely UM turnovers! That's a good game right there. I swear our fan base needs to wake the hell up. I've been hearing Bentley is no good ever since he got here and could not would not buy into that and get so mad, but after UGA and UK this year I'm realizing he's good for 10-17 points against good defenses which will never give us the W. God I hope i'm wrong after this week but I have nothing on Bentley to back him up right now.
This is true, he played well in that game. I am not saying he is a bad qb at all, I guess all I am saying is that I think it makes all the sense in the world to give MS the first quarter against aTm...expecially if JB isn't 100%
Master Bedroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 04:14 PM   #56
WeDemBoyz
4-Star

Male

Quote:
I normally never reference statistics. But generally speaking, completion percentage can indicate whether or not the ball is is getting where it needs to be. But if you remove just 10 dropped passes, he's at 71%. So he's not exactly "inaccurate." He just makes occasional mistakes with the ball that are more memorable than others. He needs to clean that up, but everything else points to him really not having a bad season.
And I sure do hope that, just starting to not see it as of now, sorry for all of the gloom and doom
Old 10-10-2018, 04:15 PM   #57
CapitolCock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAGamec0ckFan View Post
I don't want to crown him our new starter, but he earned the right to at least get a chance.
As for 3, it's arguable how much he was given, but he looked pretty good so why not let him open it up. 4, we'll just have to agree to disagree.
Sure, it's arguable, but that doesn't mean he is all of a sudden ready to do everything else. Clearly, the coaching staff feels the same way.

And I've made my thoughts pretty clear on the whole, "he's starting because his dad is a coach" thing, and I think it's a pretty pathetic claim, but that's as far as I'll go into that.
Old 10-10-2018, 04:16 PM   #58
WeDemBoyz
4-Star

Male

Quote:
This is true, he played well in that game. I am not saying he is a bad qb at all, I guess all I am saying is that I think it makes all the sense in the world to give MS the first quarter against aTm...expecially if JB isn't 100%
I was being a little sarcastic there, but I mean the 4th quarter was decent, just against better opponents it needs to be maybe 3/4 quarters not 1/4. Michigan is somehow ranked 12 right now but haven't really proven anything this year imo, no quality wins and a loss to ND.
Old 10-10-2018, 04:37 PM   #59
kidrobinski
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 1320
kidrobinski is USC mascot materialkidrobinski is USC mascot materialkidrobinski is USC mascot materialkidrobinski is USC mascot materialkidrobinski is USC mascot materialkidrobinski is USC mascot materialkidrobinski is USC mascot materialkidrobinski is USC mascot materialkidrobinski is USC mascot materialkidrobinski is USC mascot materialkidrobinski is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedginn07 View Post
Has more starts...
Lol. I swear you cannot make this stuff up.
kidrobinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 06:21 PM   #60
Master Bedroom
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 10500
Master Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot material

Quote:
I was being a little sarcastic there, but I mean the 4th quarter was decent, just against better opponents it needs to be maybe 3/4 quarters not 1/4. Michigan is somehow ranked 12 right now but haven't really proven anything this year imo, no quality wins and a loss to ND.
Yea I knew what you were getting at but he still delivered in that 2nd half. Yea that Um is a head scratcher
Master Bedroom is offline   Reply With Quote