CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Three and Out
Wisercock
GregoryHouse
The Yancey
Blitzkrieg
ChunkSnackwell
carolina_corpsman
wincocks84
bassman
Egotistical11
Ortre Smith (1741)
TJ Brunson (1061)
Woman loses her mind (868)
DIY flowerpot smoker (327)
The Godfather explai (253)
2019 WBB - HoopGurlz (221)
NCAAF: LOUISIANA TEC (187)
NCAAF: MISSISSIPPI S (116)
NCAAF: FLORIDA @ KEN (109)
NCAAF: NORTH CAROLIN (106)
Why SC and Kurt Roper Sho
DIY flowerpot smoker
Crowd Against La Tech
Discussion: 2018 Recruiti
TJ Brunson
Ortre Smith
2019 WBB - HoopGurlz (ESP
2018 MBB - Simisola "
2018 MBB Zion Williamson
4 tic for Sale LaTech

Old 09-10-2017, 02:40 PM   #1
2k15
Music Lover

Male

CockyCash: 2016201620162500
2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material
Wink Refuting the Ball Calls!!

As we all know, the officials had a very poor game last night, and there is a thread dedicated to that already, but I just wanted to provide some solid evidence that the unexplainable blown calls that should've gone our way should have, in fact, gone our way.

One of the reasons I hate Mizzou's field is they have stationary, low positioned cameras, and thus the angles are very poor and you can't see the teams very well because the camera is too low. This is possibly one of the reasons we didn't get the 4th down (non) stop reviewed and overturned. Nevertheless that call should've got our way, despite the poor angles.

On the 4th down that should have been a stop, the officials didn't even bring out the sticks, despite how close the call was. In this first screenshot, the wide shot angle, you see that the marker (not the sticks, the sticks are only there to tell the down, not mark where the first down is. The 1st down marker is the little orange pad on the ground) is a couple feet past the 32 yard line. You can see the tick mark of the 32 yard line, then a few feet past that is the marker on the ground.

Now, in the next screenshot we have the point of contact. This is basically the farthest forward that the Mizzou RB went before he went backwards. You can't see the ball itself, but you can see the 32 yard line, marked by the vertical blue line, and then approximately where the 1st down marker is, based on the first wide angle shot (the yellow vertical line). In any case, even if the Mizzou running back extended the ball (it looked like it was tucked, not extended), the entire pile is infront of where that 1st down marker is. It looks like the pile never really goes past the 32 yard line, and the running back doesn't look like he ever makes it to the 32 at all.

Hell, maybe it was a first down because the camera angles suck, but based on the angles we do have and the way we stopped them up, that more than deserved the sticks to be brought out. Pretty ridiculous call.

In the last screenshot we have the Ty'Son Williams (non) touchdown. As you can see, his left foot is clearly in bounds, his right knee is bent upwards and the right foot is off the ground, and the ball clearly breaks the plane. It's one of the better angles of the night, and the official could see it perfectly. I was very surprised that this one was not overturned, and even more surprised at the speed at which they confirmed it out of bounds.

Anyway, it was a horrible officiating night. But who freaking cares, we won. I just wanted to refute the crappy calls they made.
Attached Images

Old 09-10-2017, 02:56 PM   #2
Blitzkrieg
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
Blitzkrieg is USC mascot materialBlitzkrieg is USC mascot materialBlitzkrieg is USC mascot materialBlitzkrieg is USC mascot materialBlitzkrieg is USC mascot materialBlitzkrieg is USC mascot materialBlitzkrieg is USC mascot materialBlitzkrieg is USC mascot materialBlitzkrieg is USC mascot materialBlitzkrieg is USC mascot materialBlitzkrieg is USC mascot material
Default Re: Refuting the Ball Calls!!

Good work........
Old 09-10-2017, 03:05 PM   #3
USCarolina
Walk On

Female

CockyCash: 360
USCarolina has hatched from the shell

Im glad you posted that because I thought I was missing something. I get on the field it may be hard to see everything and you are going to make mistakes but I thought both should be overturned in the review booth. Pretty terrible if you ask me.
USCarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 08:00 AM   #4
kingoftheroost
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 100014000
kingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k15 View Post
As we all know, the officials had a very poor game last night, and there is a thread dedicated to that already, but I just wanted to provide some solid evidence that the unexplainable blown calls that should've gone our way should have, in fact, gone our way.

One of the reasons I hate Mizzou's field is they have stationary, low positioned cameras, and thus the angles are very poor and you can't see the teams very well because the camera is too low. This is possibly one of the reasons we didn't get the 4th down (non) stop reviewed and overturned. Nevertheless that call should've got our way, despite the poor angles.

On the 4th down that should have been a stop, the officials didn't even bring out the sticks, despite how close the call was. In this first screenshot, the wide shot angle, you see that the marker (not the sticks, the sticks are only there to tell the down, not mark where the first down is. The 1st down marker is the little orange pad on the ground) is a couple feet past the 32 yard line. You can see the tick mark of the 32 yard line, then a few feet past that is the marker on the ground.

Now, in the next screenshot we have the point of contact. This is basically the farthest forward that the Mizzou RB went before he went backwards. You can't see the ball itself, but you can see the 32 yard line, marked by the vertical blue line, and then approximately where the 1st down marker is, based on the first wide angle shot (the yellow vertical line). In any case, even if the Mizzou running back extended the ball (it looked like it was tucked, not extended), the entire pile is infront of where that 1st down marker is. It looks like the pile never really goes past the 32 yard line, and the running back doesn't look like he ever makes it to the 32 at all.

Hell, maybe it was a first down because the camera angles suck, but based on the angles we do have and the way we stopped them up, that more than deserved the sticks to be brought out. Pretty ridiculous call.

In the last screenshot we have the Ty'Son Williams (non) touchdown. As you can see, his left foot is clearly in bounds, his right knee is bent upwards and the right foot is off the ground, and the ball clearly breaks the plane. It's one of the better angles of the night, and the official could see it perfectly. I was very surprised that this one was not overturned, and even more surprised at the speed at which they confirmed it out of bounds.

Anyway, it was a horrible officiating night. But who freaking cares, we won. I just wanted to refute the crappy calls they made.
I, too, believe Williams scored on that play. I also think they should have at least measured on the 4th down mark, but the little field marker you pointed out in the picture isn't the official line to gain. The sticks are official, and it looks like it was dead on the 32, which is behind the orange field marker. It was, at least, a lot closer than it appeared to those of us who watched on television, and he may have well earned it, but not measuring was wrong.

Last edited by kingoftheroost; 09-11-2017 at 08:18 AM..
kingoftheroost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 08:05 AM   #5
Spur's Addiction
Been caught moddin'

Male

CockyCash: 200
Spur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot material

Yea I agree. These calls should have at least been reviewed. Bu it seems like they just kept going. Very strange.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:19 AM   #6
RoosterBooster
1st Team All-SEC

CockyCash: 100500
RoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot material

Cameras are definitely the problem. They gave him the spot on the 1st down call and the angles were not good enough to review. Same on the TD which I agree was a TD, but you have to assume the ball is still inside the Pylon. Both camera angles sucked.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:28 AM   #7
Roosterdog
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Roosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot material

Can a Head Coach request a measurement? Seems like the coach should be allowed to ask them to measure close calls.
Roosterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 08:35 AM   #8
2000grad
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 1233026
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

First, those are auxillary markers and attempt to mirror the official line to gain chains on the visitor sidelines. Those are the ones the Head Linesman works with to spot the ball and set thr chains. Second, the side judge was in a perfect position to judge the goal line call. Third, the camera angle is diagonally behind and in front of the goal line, so it gives an appearance that the ball is further than it actually is. Personally, it was a good call from the side judge and the crew did a good job overall.
2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 08:38 AM   #9
Lonnie
Band

Male

CockyCash: 499
Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

I won't disagree, but just want to introduce you to a concept called Parallax

Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 08:38 AM   #10
2000grad
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 1233026
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterdog View Post
Can a Head Coach request a measurement? Seems like the coach should be allowed to ask them to measure close calls.
Yes, but it has to be requested before the ready for play is given. It can also be denied.
2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 08:47 AM   #11
USCBASEBALL1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 311755
USCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot material

So far this year Officiating across College Football has been horendous
USCBASEBALL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 08:56 AM   #12
LegalCock
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 1000
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

Is that why games from there always look like high school? So you are saying the school provides the cameras? Or only certain locations are made available for cameras by the stadium layout? Lighting or something always looks like garbage there too. But yeah those refs were horrendous and should be fined or something.

He scored. He was looking down at his feet and the pylon and just trying to dip across. Next time he needs to go straight through the cat to about two yards deep. He can do that, no problem.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 09:04 AM   #13
Ace Dilcock
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 840
Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material

Both calls were bad and would have been over-turned with the proper camera angle. The issue with the TD was that the official at the goal line was afraid of getting hit and was backing up. The fallback is to call him out and let IR overturn, which would have happened with a good camera angle.

Bizarre on the 4th Down play that they did not review the spot or measure. It was almost like the ref was looking at the distance past the yard marker for the ball and the First Down marker, but was looking at the wrong yard marker. I other words, the ball was a half yard short, but the ref saw it a half yard past the marker because he was looking at the wrong yard marker.

Mizzou needs to get with the program - for all of the criticism that we give the ACC, that stadium is in dire need of upgrades.
Ace Dilcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 09:06 AM   #14
Lant
grumpy old fart

Male

CockyCash: 50000
Lant is USC mascot materialLant is USC mascot materialLant is USC mascot materialLant is USC mascot materialLant is USC mascot materialLant is USC mascot materialLant is USC mascot materialLant is USC mascot materialLant is USC mascot materialLant is USC mascot materialLant is USC mascot material

I thought I heard the announcers say they had "fixed camera angles" down on the field.
Lant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 09:17 AM   #15
USC97
Walk On

Male

USC97 has hatched from the shell

I was in row 1 on the 40 yard line behind our bench. ESPN had a sideline camera cart running up and down an asphalt track. It was 15+ ft high and obstructed the view in the first 5 rows when it was parked.

Kinlaw is just massive in person and dwarfs most of our players.
USC97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 09:20 AM   #16
dumpyloser
Two Deep

Male

dumpyloser is USC mascot materialdumpyloser is USC mascot materialdumpyloser is USC mascot materialdumpyloser is USC mascot materialdumpyloser is USC mascot materialdumpyloser is USC mascot materialdumpyloser is USC mascot materialdumpyloser is USC mascot materialdumpyloser is USC mascot materialdumpyloser is USC mascot materialdumpyloser is USC mascot material

I was actually worried about the TD play for a different reason. literally as soon as the shot in the OP goes by and the next few frames come in, Ty'Son dropped the ball. It scared me that they would say he didn't have possession as he broke the goal line and that it was a touchback.
dumpyloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 09:30 AM   #17
the camp branch kid
Recruit

Male

the camp branch kid rules the CockPitthe camp branch kid rules the CockPitthe camp branch kid rules the CockPitthe camp branch kid rules the CockPitthe camp branch kid rules the CockPitthe camp branch kid rules the CockPitthe camp branch kid rules the CockPitthe camp branch kid rules the CockPitthe camp branch kid rules the CockPitthe camp branch kid rules the CockPitthe camp branch kid rules the CockPit

The deep ball that was caught down the right sideline over King was bobbled and loose on the receiver's belly as he made contact out of bounds. Mizzou rushed up to the line and ran the next play in what appeared to be an attempt to avoid a replay. I thought the "booth" was supposed to review all close plays as a default. The fact Mizzou rushed to run the next play should have been an indicator that it may have been bobbled. TV only showed the replay once due to the next play being ran so quickly.The catch is around the 4:55 mark maybe a bit earlier. I am not certain about college, but in the NFL if you do get complete control before being out of bounds it is not a catch. I will admit it was close but it at least deserved an official replay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55iDANC8_H0
with a Gamecock story to tell.
the camp branch kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 09:31 AM   #18
Lonnie
Band

Male

CockyCash: 499
Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Here's the 4th and one....

Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 09:40 AM   #19
the camp branch kid
Recruit

Male

the camp branch kid rules the CockPitthe camp branch kid rules the CockPitthe camp branch kid rules the CockPitthe camp branch kid rules the CockPitthe camp branch kid rules the CockPitthe camp branch kid rules the CockPitthe camp branch kid rules the CockPitthe camp branch kid rules the CockPitthe camp branch kid rules the CockPitthe camp branch kid rules the CockPitthe camp branch kid rules the CockPit

Regarding the 4th down. The only thing I can figure is that the official chains were on the near sideline, not the one the camera was facing. It is not uncommon for the official chains and the opposite field chains to get off by a little. If this is not the case then it was definitely a 4th down stop or at least deserved a measurement.
with a Gamecock story to tell.
the camp branch kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 09:45 AM   #20
LegalCock
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 1000
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

How about that guy calling the TD at the end of the game where the ball was on the receivers ass? Thankfully that was overturned but damnit man. That and the no measure spot and the signal the wrong way that had to be overruled on the fumbled punt. Just wow! These guys get paid for this right?
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote