CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
2k15
Gamecocks1137
TaySC
Blackland
MEL
gotrice?
wumarshall82
GregoryHouse
Senior Rooster
GoldenSpur7
**USC vs. Wofford GA (15472)
Clemson (1212)
8-3 (2nd East) (1093)
First Time Since 201 (1055)
That was Jake’s best (1026)
Clemson fairgrounds (603)
Don't underestimate (530)
Inside the Locker Ro (456)
Malcolm Young Dead (430)
First for everything (265)
8-3 (2nd East)
Game replay or on YouTube
2018 - Channing Tindall
First Time Since 2013...
Discussion: 2018 Recruiti
**USC vs. Wofford GAME Th
Marcus Lattimore Wounded
Cooler and crock pot inse
Clemson fairgrounds parki
Ugliest uniforms around

Old 09-11-2017, 09:51 AM   #21
ShutTheSuccop
Go Cocks!

Male

CockyCash: 76600600
ShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot material
Default Re: Refuting the Ball Calls!!

That was a TD
ShutTheSuccop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 09:59 AM   #22
cockfight#1
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
cockfight#1 is making other chickens nervouscockfight#1 is making other chickens nervouscockfight#1 is making other chickens nervouscockfight#1 is making other chickens nervouscockfight#1 is making other chickens nervouscockfight#1 is making other chickens nervouscockfight#1 is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000grad View Post
First, those are auxillary markers and attempt to mirror the official line to gain chains on the visitor sidelines. Those are the ones the Head Linesman works with to spot the ball and set thr chains. Second, the side judge was in a perfect position to judge the goal line call. Third, the camera angle is diagonally behind and in front of the goal line, so it gives an appearance that the ball is further than it actually is. Personally, it was a good call from the side judge and the crew did a good job overall.

What are you an official that has to come on here and take up for those blind idiots.

How about the clearly dropped touchdown pass that had to be overturned at the end of the game? TWO refs were standing there.

Not having a measurement on that 4th down play is completely inept.

Yes the guy is standing there on the Williams Touchdown but at the very least the ball should be spotted at the 1 inch line not a full yard back.

THE BALL IS SPOTTED WHERE THE BALL IS WHEN THE PLAYER IS OUT OF BOUNDS NOT WHERE HIS FOOT LANDS. That's the default spot for $hitty refs who can't chew gum and walk that the same time.

That crew is indefensible.
cockfight#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 10:09 AM   #23
2000grad
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 1233026
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockfight#1 View Post
What are you an official that has to come on here and take up for those blind idiots.

How about the clearly dropped touchdown pass that had to be overturned at the end of the game? TWO refs were standing there.

Not having a measurement on that 4th down play is completely inept.

Yes the guy is standing there on the Williams Touchdown but at the very least the ball should be spotted at the 1 inch line not a full yard back.

THE BALL IS SPOTTED WHERE THE BALL IS WHEN THE PLAYER IS OUT OF BOUNDS NOT WHERE HIS FOOT LANDS. That's the default spot for $hitty refs who can't chew gum and walk that the same time.

That crew is indefensible.
Yeah...i know exactly how to spot a ball on a field and where it is supposed to be when a runner goes OOB.

Dang it...you got me. I made a profile 10 years ago in anticipation of this very thread. I do have some on field experience as a chain crew at williams-brice. The officials did a good job yesterday. the spectators always have the jumbo tron to make the call. 99% of the calls on the field are correct. Real time 5 feet from the action is a little different than armchairing it 1-2 days after the game.

Who has possession and who has the line in a pass? Do you know? Do you know which key each official has at the snap? What i am saying is it is easy to sit back and criticize from an uninformed perspective.

Officials make mistakes, but these guys didn't do anything in the game to cause it to be on their shoulders.
2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 10:15 AM   #24
Lonnie
Band

Male

CockyCash: 197300
Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Come on ya'll. We've seen this before...

Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 10:20 AM   #25
sporkgod50
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000000000
sporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot material

the OP reads like some crazy conspiracy theory. oh boy.

Le Olive de Sudan!
sporkgod50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 10:24 AM   #26
Carolina4eva
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
Carolina4eva is crowing loudlyCarolina4eva is crowing loudlyCarolina4eva is crowing loudlyCarolina4eva is crowing loudlyCarolina4eva is crowing loudlyCarolina4eva is crowing loudlyCarolina4eva is crowing loudlyCarolina4eva is crowing loudlyCarolina4eva is crowing loudlyCarolina4eva is crowing loudlyCarolina4eva is crowing loudly

Watching from the stands I couldn't tell if Tyson crossed the goal line or not. What I would like to know is why didn't he lay out for the pylon? It would of been a easy touchdown. Usually a player of his caliber will have the instinct to lay out when it's going to be that close of a play.

Army National Guard
Carolina4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 10:25 AM   #27
Emery
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 11950
Emery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot material

Quote:
Yeah...i know exactly how to spot a ball on a field and where it is supposed to be when a runner goes OOB.

Dang it...you got me. I made a profile 10 years ago in anticipation of this very thread. I do have some on field experience as a chain crew at williams-brice. The officials did a good job yesterday. the spectators always have the jumbo tron to make the call. 99% of the calls on the field are correct. Real time 5 feet from the action is a little different than armchairing it 1-2 days after the game.

Who has possession and who has the line in a pass? Do you know? Do you know which key each official has at the snap? What i am saying is it is easy to sit back and criticize from an uninformed perspective.

Officials make mistakes, but these guys didn't do anything in the game to cause it to be on their shoulders.
I'm not into the refs trying to get us, and honestly the TD from Mizzou could've gone either way and we got the benefit of that.

And this time it didn't matter because of the score, but....

The fourth down I get. I personally don't think they should be able to review the spot of the ball on plays like that. If a runner is down or out of bounds and takes off, okay, but a scrum like that is best left to the field and not cameras. However, something that is that close should've been measured.

The TD is what bothers me. Correct me because it seems you have more officiating knowledge, but the ref at the pile on is just there to check the ball? I thought the other refs were to determine if a player is in or out of bounds? It'd been impossible for that one ref to spot the ball and when Williams went out of bounds. And what on replay was there not to overturn it?
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 10:29 AM   #28
2000grad
Heisman Winner

Male

2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
Come on ya'll. We've seen this before...

Don't know how that was messed up
Old 09-11-2017, 10:30 AM   #29
LegalCock
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 6000
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

yeah the cap one bowl was bad but at least they measured it! This one looked like 1.5 yards short to me.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 10:33 AM   #30
kingoftheroost
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 100014000
kingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalCock View Post
yeah the cap one bowl was bad but at least they measured it! This one looked like 1.5 yards short to me.
Sorry, but that's the fan's sight coming in to play. It was extremely close, and he may have actually gotten the first down. The only definite error I saw on the play was them not measuring.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:45 AM   #31
2000grad
Heisman Winner

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emery View Post
I'm not into the refs trying to get us, and honestly the TD from Mizzou could've gone either way and we got the benefit of that.

And this time it didn't matter because of the score, but....

The fourth down I get. I personally don't think they should be able to review the spot of the ball on plays like that. If a runner is down or out of bounds and takes off, okay, but a scrum like that is best left to the field and not cameras. However, something that is that close should've been measured.

The TD is what bothers me. Correct me because it seems you have more officiating knowledge, but the ref at the pile on is just there to check the ball? I thought the other refs were to determine if a player is in or out of bounds? It'd been impossible for that one ref to spot the ball and when Williams went out of bounds. And what on replay was there not to overturn it?
In college, you have 8 officials, all with different keys during different types of plays and situations. With a scrum, it is very difficult to see where the foremost point of the ball is at the time a knee, leg, or part of the arm, other than the hand, is on the ground or when forward progress is stopped. The Head linesman and the Line Judge are supposed to help with that spot. The umpire may help as well. The philosophy is to see the ball as opposed to guessing. That is usually why the play is allowed to go a little longer with a scrum because you can't see the ball. Not to say it hasn't been messed up before. Mechanics usually dictate that the officials on the line run in to give a signal or spot. The spot is the downfield foot and the umpire places the foremost point of the ball on that spot.

On a pass play at the sideline, you have the H or the LJ to determine whether or not a foot is OOB or inbounds and the SJ or the FJ to determine if it is a catch or not.

The goal line play with Williams running...I was trying to see if there was a really good camera angle and I couldn't determine with what was shown. You have to default to the official who has that call. If the guy was out of position, then that is inexcusable with 8 officials unless it is some kind of scrum downfield and then a breakaway for 50 yds.

I think some people believe that officials are infallible (I don't), but I also know the intense training these guys go through (I am not a collegiate official but personally know several) and the rigorous test they must pass to be on a crew. Like I previously stated, 99% of the time, they get these calls correct on the field at the time. I like the replay aspect because it helps. The replay official makes that call. The white hat just announces the ruling. Remember that the ruling was that the call stands, which means not enough evidence to overturn it or to say that it was confirmed. I agree about the poor camera angles, but you have to go with what you have
Old 09-12-2017, 12:22 AM   #32
2k15
Music Lover

Male

CockyCash: 2016201620162500
2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material

Rewatching the game and considering already how poor the officiating was in that game, I noticed this BS...

The play is over, and players are walking to their sidelines. While Bentley is heading towards his sideline from where he threw the ball near midfield. A Mizzou defensive lineman is walking back to his sideline, and he steps into Bentley's path, knocking him over. Jake falls down, obviously upset at the lack of sportsmanship, and the lineman just goes ahead and walks right over Bentley, clearly not caring or considering that he should be flagged for that. And the worst part is the freaking ref is standing right behind them and watches the whole thing happen. Not only this, but when Jake gets up and looks at the ref incredulously, the ref scowled and shakes his head, as if Bentley was just trying to get a first down out of it.

Honestly, if you don't call knocking a player over after play has ended and then walking over their body as a personal foul, you either don't deserve or know how to ref at all. That game was utterly embarrassing from an officiating standpoint, and the fact that he looked at Bentley and scowled is ridiculous. You can't be faking a personal foul if the player knocks you down and then proceeds to walk over you. Even if Bentley faked the fall, it's the definition of a personal foul.

Old 09-12-2017, 12:39 AM   #33
Order 66
Ed O'Bannon must pay

Male

CockyCash: 10950385
Order 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k15 View Post
Rewatching the game and considering already how poor the officiating was in that game, I noticed this BS...

The play is over, and players are walking to their sidelines. While Bentley is heading towards his sideline from where he threw the ball near midfield. A Mizzou defensive lineman is walking back to his sideline, and he steps into Bentley's path, knocking him over. Jake falls down, obviously upset at the lack of sportsmanship, and the lineman just goes ahead and walks right over Bentley, clearly not caring or considering that he should be flagged for that. And the worst part is the freaking ref is standing right behind them and watches the whole thing happen. Not only this, but when Jake gets up and looks at the ref incredulously, the ref scowled and shakes his head, as if Bentley was just trying to get a first down out of it.

Honestly, if you don't call knocking a player over after play has ended and then walking over their body as a personal foul, you either don't deserve or know how to ref at all. That game was utterly embarrassing from an officiating standpoint, and the fact that he looked at Bentley and scowled is ridiculous. You can't be faking a personal foul if the player knocks you down and then proceeds to walk over you. Even if Bentley faked the fall, it's the definition of a personal foul.

Yep, I saw that during the game. I'd keep an eye out for that ref for the rest of the season. He might go all Wilbur Hackett and try to spear Bentley at the goal line...

Order 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 01:05 PM   #34
henmania
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 5500
henmania is USC mascot materialhenmania is USC mascot materialhenmania is USC mascot materialhenmania is USC mascot materialhenmania is USC mascot materialhenmania is USC mascot materialhenmania is USC mascot materialhenmania is USC mascot materialhenmania is USC mascot materialhenmania is USC mascot materialhenmania is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k15 View Post

It looked like Jake flopped to me. Didn't look hard enough of a bump to knock him down.
henmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 01:23 PM   #35
RoosterBooster
1st Team All-SEC

CockyCash: 100500
RoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by henmania View Post
It looked like Jake flopped to me. Didn't look hard enough of a bump to knock him down.
I agree, looked like he was flopping for a charge. I think that is exactly what the ref was thinking. Bad sportsmanship definitely. Unsportsmanlike Conduct, no.
Old 09-12-2017, 01:26 PM   #36
2000grad
Heisman Winner

Male

Quote:
He did that during the bowl game and got a call
Old 09-12-2017, 01:34 PM   #37
CapitolCock
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000002258
CapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot material

I agree that the Ty'Son Williams run should have been reviewed, but on the first down the poster literally put "approx." as to where he believes the first down marker is. That's the whole reason why we didn't challenge. Why would Muschamp waste a challenge on the hopes that an approximated angle will be the deciding factor?

Also, Jake flopped, but that guy clearly walked into him intentionally. It's not like the Mizzou guy was attempting to hurt Jake though. This stuff happens all the time.
CapitolCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 01:39 PM   #38
LegalCock
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 6000
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Order 66 View Post
Yep, I saw that during the game. I'd keep an eye out for that ref for the rest of the season. He might go all Wilbur Hackett and try to spear Bentley at the goal line...

LOL that was hilarious, but horrible. Garcia shoulda' trucked him like a Florida linebacker.

I think Muschamp was smart not to challenge the TD. They had plenty of time to review it, just had shitty high school AV camera angles, and he knew we were all lathered up at that point as Hurst showed three Mizzou defenders on the following play.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 01:47 PM   #39
Lonnie
Band

Male

Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Quote:
Don't know how that was messed up
It turned out Ok. One play later, all was right in the universe....

Old 09-12-2017, 01:48 PM   #40
Lonnie
Band

Male

Quote:
He did and I laughed about it. Can't blame the kid for trying.