CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Blitzkrieg
kick_ball
robgusc76
Spur's Addiction
MountainCock
Captain9Dragons
Master Bedroom
NAGamec0ckFan
The Yancey
Ahmad
Dear Muschamp: Not (1388)
CFN Team ranking 1-1 (899)
I hope Jamarcus King (576)
Goergia Dome Collaps (376)
#600 (347)
NCAAF: CLEMSON TATER (202)
New Whip (202)
4 Clemson Tickets wi (33)
Funny story from my (0)
Clemson
I hope Jamarcus King has
CFN Team ranking 1-130
Jerry Meyers out as USC p
Mike Davis promoted to Se
2018 - Channing Tindall
Coaching carousel: 2017-1
No cable or Dish
NCAAB: SOUTH CAROLINA @ W
BE THERE

Old 09-11-2017, 02:20 PM   #1
Greyrooster
4 Star

Male

CockyCash: 5500
Greyrooster is crowing loudlyGreyrooster is crowing loudlyGreyrooster is crowing loudlyGreyrooster is crowing loudlyGreyrooster is crowing loudlyGreyrooster is crowing loudlyGreyrooster is crowing loudlyGreyrooster is crowing loudlyGreyrooster is crowing loudlyGreyrooster is crowing loudlyGreyrooster is crowing loudly
Default Illegal man down field

How was Hurst an illegal man down field? He is a tight end, tight ends are allowed downfield!! In the grand scheme of things it didn't matter, but it is still a unexplained call!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-11-2017, 02:23 PM   #2
MillerTime43
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
MillerTime43 has hatched from the shell
Default Re: Illegal man down field

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyrooster View Post
How was Hurst an illegal man down field? He is a tight end, tight ends are allowed downfield!! In the grand scheme of things it didn't matter, but it is still a unexplained call!!!

He was "covered up" by the wide receiver. So, even though he has an eligible number, he was ineligible on the play by virtue of how he lined up.
MillerTime43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 02:26 PM   #3
blake843811
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
blake843811 has hatched from the shell

He was "covered up" by the WR. Meaning Hurst was lined up on the line of scrimmage while there was another player lined up further out that was also on the LOS. That would make Hurst ineligible as a receiver.
blake843811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 02:26 PM   #4
Darth Visor
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 1000866
Darth Visor is USC mascot materialDarth Visor is USC mascot materialDarth Visor is USC mascot materialDarth Visor is USC mascot materialDarth Visor is USC mascot materialDarth Visor is USC mascot materialDarth Visor is USC mascot materialDarth Visor is USC mascot materialDarth Visor is USC mascot materialDarth Visor is USC mascot materialDarth Visor is USC mascot material

The officiating was brutal on Saturday.
Old 09-11-2017, 02:29 PM   #5
BigSpenda864
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 466
BigSpenda864 is developing his combBigSpenda864 is developing his combBigSpenda864 is developing his combBigSpenda864 is developing his combBigSpenda864 is developing his combBigSpenda864 is developing his combBigSpenda864 is developing his combBigSpenda864 is developing his combBigSpenda864 is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake843811 View Post
He was "covered up" by the WR. Meaning Hurst was lined up on the line of scrimmage while there was another player lined up further out that was also on the LOS. That would make Hurst ineligible as a receiver.
It wasn't a bad call.

Last edited by BigSpenda864; 09-11-2017 at 02:45 PM..
BigSpenda864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 02:30 PM   #6
rioninusc
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1000000056
rioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot material

On the call he was off the Los for him to be eligible he has to be on the Los.
rioninusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 02:35 PM   #7
Take-a-Knee
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 10000
Take-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot material

He looked like he was lined up behind the tackle to me but how far must you be back to be legal ?
Also the confusion on the punt, they marked it on our 10 to begin with then changed it to touchback, I thought they got the call right but the kicking team must always stop the ball from entering the end zone, right ?
Those refs had me scratching my head a few times ..

And that 4th down play they give Mizzou looked short too imo
Take-a-Knee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 02:39 PM   #8
FurmanCock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 5250
FurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Take-a-Knee View Post
He looked like he was lined up behind the tackle to me but how far must you be back to be legal ?
Also the confusion on the punt, they marked it on our 10 to begin with then changed it to touchback, I thought they got the call right but the kicking team must always stop the ball from entering the end zone, right ?
Those refs had me scratching my head a few times ..
Yeah, this is the one where I apparently don't know the rule. I guess that if after touching the ball at our 12 yard line had MO had recovered it prior to it going into the endzone, the ball would have been placed on the 12; however, since the ball continued on into the endzone without a full recovery, it was deemed a touch back? Is that correct?
Old 09-11-2017, 02:47 PM   #9
kick_ball
high midi-chlorian count

Male

CockyCash: 100549
kick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by rioninusc View Post
On the call he was off the Los for him to be eligible he has to be on the Los.
Not 100 accurate he just can't be covered up by the WR
kick_ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 02:54 PM   #10
gamecockphan
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 102200
gamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot material

It was definitely the right call and a mental error by Edwards that cost us a first down.
gamecockphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 02:57 PM   #11
Take-a-Knee
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Take-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot material

covered up by the WR ? You have two ends, any one in between must be off the los to be a legal receiver
Old 09-11-2017, 03:01 PM   #12
Take-a-Knee
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurmanCock View Post
Yeah, this is the one where I apparently don't know the rule. I guess that if after touching the ball at our 12 yard line had MO had recovered it prior to it going into the endzone, the ball would have been placed on the 12; however, since the ball continued on into the endzone without a full recovery, it was deemed a touch back? Is that correct?
That's what I thought
Old 09-11-2017, 03:20 PM   #13
GamecockUltimate
BIGGER. STRONGER.LONGER

Male

CockyCash: 10600
GamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot material

Quote:
Essentially. It's downed where you first touch the ball, but can't roll into the endzone.
GamecockUltimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 03:20 PM   #14
kick_ball
high midi-chlorian count

Male

CockyCash: 100549
kick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Take-a-Knee View Post
That's what I thought
He batted the ball back towards the end zone which is illegal is what I thought the ref was saying
kick_ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 03:43 PM   #15
kingoftheroost
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 100014000
kingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by kick_ball View Post
He batted the ball back towards the end zone which is illegal is what I thought the ref was saying
It wasn't illegal, but they just didn't stop it before it reached the end zone. If they had controlled the ball by downing it, the ball would've been placed at the spot of the initial touch, which would've been the 12. By contrast, if they had inadvertently batted it forward, the ball would've been spotted at the point where they had downed it. The rule is in place to prevent the defense from trying to gain better field position.
Old 09-11-2017, 03:57 PM   #16
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyrooster View Post

It was the correct call.
He was a TE, Yes, but he was split out wide and the receiver inside him was
in the slot (good there) the issue was that there was another WR lined up
outside him on the line of scrimmage (to his right) There was also another
WR on the opposite side of the formation on the line as well. The rules are
that you can only have 7 men on the line of scrimmage, and for a Receiver
to be eligible (TE, or WR) they have to be on the outside of the formation
with no other WR inside them and the last man of the interior line. When
you have another WR outside of you, you are considered by the rules an
offensive lineman and ineligible to get in the passing route.

It can get complicated according to the formations you use. He could have
stepped back a half yard as long as we didn't have another RB in the slot or
off the line on the other side and have been considered a part of the Backfield
and eligible to run routes. (basically a twin Slot receiver or H-back kind of
thing (like we used to run with Patrick DiMarco). If he was on the opposite
end of formation and at a TE spot, he could have split out and run routes as
long as we didn't put another WR outside him on that side of the field.
The guy outside him could have dropped off the line a half yard or so (as long
as we didn't have another RB in the backfield) and he would have been good to
go, but in this case, the refs got it right.
Old 09-11-2017, 03:58 PM   #17
ccured
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 74000
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

Its not hard. The last guys on the line of scrimmage are the only eligible receivers. It does not matter what position. If a tackle is the last guy on the line of scrimmage on that side then he is an eligible receiver. Everybody else must be behind the line. Tackle may need to report
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 04:28 PM   #18
rabid cock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 23028
rabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot material

Quote:
If the kicking team wants to down the ball, then they must do that. Merely touching does not down the ball, so when it rolled into the end zone, it became a touchback.
rabid cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 04:37 PM   #19
sc455
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 63940
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

the refs definitely got it right but can someone tell me the purpose of the rule? i mean, who gives a rats ass if they are both lined up on the los. who cares if a tight end an two outside receivers are lined up on the los. why cant everyone just go out, its football.

it would seem debilitating to the offense with the way the rule is now. the defender just has to glance and see if the tight end is on or off the los to figure out if he is blocking or going out for the pass.
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 04:41 PM   #20
2000grad
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 1233026
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
The rules are
that you can only have 7 men on the line of scrimmage

What rule states that you can ONLY have 7 on the LOS? You have to have at least 7, otherwise that is an illegal procedure call.

If Hurst was on the end but lined up off the LOS and a WR was on the line, then he is eligible. It doesn't matter if there is someone on the line that is right next to him or not.

The TE is eligible here because he is not covered up by the last man on the LOS since he is off the LOS.

There are 4 eligible receivers in this picture. If the inside receiver on the right goes downfield (more than the distance of the expanded neutral zone) and a pass crosses the LOS, it is ineligible downfield

In this play the snapper releases downfield to block before the pass is thrown. He is NOT an ineligible receiver downfield because the pass never crossed the LOS.

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote