CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ccured
NinjaSven
MEL
6pack
gamecockphan
CockNJersey
Master Bedroom
Ironfan
cockinraleigh
Order 66
So we're 3-1. Ugh. T (2440)
Remember how our off (1312)
Our chances against (1310)
Can we stop trying t (1147)
Muschamp Presser que (1093)
BAW out for the year (1019)
I wish we all could (1011)
Some questions after (915)
People forget that.. (831)
Turning point - Jaco (729)
Honest assessment of how
BURN THE BOATS: Nothing t
Muschamp Presser question
I wish we all could get a
For those going to the A&
Some questions after Game
Our chances against aTm
Mental toughness
The Bama mentality: what
College Football 2017

View Poll Results: What's your grade for Jake through 2 games?
A 15 9.62%
B 114 73.08%
C 27 17.31%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-11-2017, 06:57 PM   #21
AtlGAMECOCK
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 964742
AtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to AtlGAMECOCK
Default Re: Report for Jake Bentley through 2 games

You didn't grade Jake Brantley
Old 09-11-2017, 08:07 PM   #22
2k15
Music Lover

Male

CockyCash: 2016201620162500
2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material

good decision making + elusiveness - too many erratic passes = B

that's what I chalk it up to
Old 09-11-2017, 10:52 PM   #23
sandstorm2001
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 50700
sandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot material

I gave him a B. That one play where he eluded the NC State lineman and fired the ball to Deebo in the endzone was probably one of the best single plays I've seen from a Gamecock QB. He has us at 2-0, but I put that on Deebo more than Jake right now. Let's be honest, a little difference in how the NC State game went and we'd probably all be giving him Cs. I think there's still a high ceiling for Jake, just happy to be along for the ride.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:00 PM   #24
garnetmike
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 2001250
garnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot material

I'd agree with the consensus. B to B-

He needs to be willing to hit shi and others on those quick shots in the middle off the line. He opts to go to the easier out a lot

He will get better

Last edited by garnetmike; 09-12-2017 at 07:35 AM..
garnetmike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 11:48 PM   #25
SC Sandlapper
Mr. 10,000

Male

CockyCash: 1650
SC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot material

I give him a B but it's not over until Jake Brantley plays pro baseball or bombs Pearl Harbor.
Old 09-12-2017, 12:55 AM   #26
cockyboy
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
cockyboy has earned his spurscockyboy has earned his spurscockyboy has earned his spurscockyboy has earned his spurscockyboy has earned his spurscockyboy has earned his spurs

I give him a C+. He has left some points on the field and he refuses to look at Edwards when in obvious 1v1 situations. I'd rather him give Edwards a jump ball than take a sack. But, he is doing enough to have us 2-0. I just expect more.
cockyboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 01:12 AM   #27
Three and Out
Game MVP

Male

Three and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudly

Last year, he just came in and ran the plays that were called. During the off season, he has spent countless hours in the film room. He's also spent a lot of time learning much more of the playbook as well as various blocking schemes and reading defenses. So when a play is called this year, he has a lot more information to process. At this point, some of his mistakes are due to information overload. He's only played in 9 games, so he is still the equivalent of a freshman. He'll continue to improve as the season goes on, but unfortunately many fans were expecting more from him from the beginning. Having the first two games away from WB has been difficult and it looks like Roper is being very conservative with our passing game until Bentley gets more familiar with the entire offense. It almost looks like he's calling plays based on take what the defense gives us. Plus, he's being asked to get the ball out quicker. So overall, I gave him a B and am expecting him to get better with each game, especially at WB. Our team's success this year rests largely on his shoulders.
Three and Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 01:23 AM   #28
ChunkSnackwell
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
ChunkSnackwell is USC mascot materialChunkSnackwell is USC mascot materialChunkSnackwell is USC mascot materialChunkSnackwell is USC mascot materialChunkSnackwell is USC mascot materialChunkSnackwell is USC mascot materialChunkSnackwell is USC mascot materialChunkSnackwell is USC mascot materialChunkSnackwell is USC mascot materialChunkSnackwell is USC mascot materialChunkSnackwell is USC mascot material

C.

He's looked pretty average so far IMO.

Maybe not a popular opinion but it is what it is.
ChunkSnackwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 02:23 AM   #29
Y Formation
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1400
Y Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChunkSnackwell View Post
C.

I would have to go with a B. Definitely better than average.
Y Formation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 04:23 AM   #30
kacrosinsc
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 100200
kacrosinsc is developing his combkacrosinsc is developing his combkacrosinsc is developing his combkacrosinsc is developing his combkacrosinsc is developing his combkacrosinsc is developing his combkacrosinsc is developing his combkacrosinsc is developing his comb

Appears he is off to a slow start thus far as accuracy goes. Really want to see his 1st 300yard passing game and hopefully he will have several of those this year. B-
kacrosinsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 07:42 AM   #31
garnetmike
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 2001250
garnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot material

Really proud of him for spending all that time in the film room. Just wish he would have spent a little room time under some pressure throwing passes to the back of the end zone. I realize some are throw always - but many have just been ten yard overthrows. Plus A and B+ QBs hit wide open receivers and Bentley has probably thrown 8-10 just poor passes this season already.

He will get better but I think the pressure or the accolades have gotten in his head a bit. He needs to come down to earth just a bit and we will get us a very good QB.
garnetmike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 08:05 AM   #32
STAGE1
Walk On

Male

STAGE1 is learning to peckSTAGE1 is learning to peck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChunkSnackwell View Post
C.

Unfortunately you're correct. Maybe C+ as we've been winning but he's been average as average gets. 187 yards against that Missouri defense... ehhh...

Fortunately we have Deebo, but Jake is still looking like a game manager so far. The off-season hype and making a sophomore the face of the program may have been a mistake.
STAGE1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 08:13 AM   #33
Thundercocks- Ho!
Recruit

Male

Thundercocks- Ho! is crowing loudlyThundercocks- Ho! is crowing loudlyThundercocks- Ho! is crowing loudlyThundercocks- Ho! is crowing loudlyThundercocks- Ho! is crowing loudlyThundercocks- Ho! is crowing loudlyThundercocks- Ho! is crowing loudlyThundercocks- Ho! is crowing loudlyThundercocks- Ho! is crowing loudlyThundercocks- Ho! is crowing loudlyThundercocks- Ho! is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three and Out View Post
Last year, he just came in and ran the plays that were called. During the off season, he has spent countless hours in the film room. He's also spent a lot of time learning much more of the playbook as well as various blocking schemes and reading defenses. So when a play is called this year, he has a lot more information to process. At this point, some of his mistakes are due to information overload. He's only played in 9 games, so he is still the equivalent of a freshman. He'll continue to improve as the season goes on, but unfortunately many fans were expecting more from him from the beginning. Having the first two games away from WB has been difficult and it looks like Roper is being very conservative with our passing game until Bentley gets more familiar with the entire offense. It almost looks like he's calling plays based on take what the defense gives us. Plus, he's being asked to get the ball out quicker. So overall, I gave him a B and am expecting him to get better with each game, especially at WB. Our team's success this year rests largely on his shoulders.
My thoughts exactly. Our offense has been methodical and effective thus far. Only the coaches can say with certainty how many plays he has effected with presnap adjustments. I imagine when these adjustments become a a part of his subconscious thought process you will see a big jump in his play.
Thundercocks- Ho! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 08:41 AM   #34
Jwilson
60 Year Fan

Male

Jwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot material

Kind of reminds me of Shaw, early in his career. Took a bit for Shaw to figure out the game is about first downs first. As was pointed out, Jake doesn't have a bunch of games under his belt yet. Even with that, I can't see where any opposing QB on our schedule is significantly any better.
Jwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 08:51 AM   #35
AtlGAMECOCK
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 964742
AtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to AtlGAMECOCK

C+
Old 09-12-2017, 08:58 AM   #36
Wisercock
Bowl MVP

Male

Wisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot material

B

He overthrew too many receivers early against Mizzo, but he has made some spectacular throws in both games so far. He runs the team very well. He just has to control the adrenaline rush. We still can look forward to his best games the rest of this year and next.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:04 AM   #37
damron
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
damron is making other chickens nervousdamron is making other chickens nervousdamron is making other chickens nervousdamron is making other chickens nervousdamron is making other chickens nervousdamron is making other chickens nervousdamron is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUSCMike View Post
Every time somebody says "Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?" some dipwad has to point out it was the Japs that bombed Pearl Harbor. I think we just found that dipwad.
um, he is a tater..LOL...RMO III
damron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:58 AM   #38
U-S-C till i D-I-E
4-Star

Male

U-S-C till i D-I-E is making other chickens nervousU-S-C till i D-I-E is making other chickens nervousU-S-C till i D-I-E is making other chickens nervousU-S-C till i D-I-E is making other chickens nervousU-S-C till i D-I-E is making other chickens nervousU-S-C till i D-I-E is making other chickens nervousU-S-C till i D-I-E is making other chickens nervous

B. Just because he seemed to be a little off on Saturday. But he's getting the job done. The scramble td pass to Deebo against State was an A+ play. One interception that I put more on play calling than him. He's played good and shown good poise and leadership. We haven't seen his best playing yet but we will soon enough.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:36 AM   #39
Wisercock
Bowl MVP

Male

Wisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three and Out View Post
Good points. He has to take the next step forward and show he has command of the offense. Especially if he wants to play in the NFL.
Old 09-16-2017, 09:41 PM   #40
gamecockphan
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 102200
gamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot material

Obviously folks were being charitable bc we won the first 2 games. I'm guilty of voting B as well.

He's been less than good this season against 3 sub par teams.
gamecockphan is online now   Reply With Quote