CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
carolina_corpsman
Spur's Addiction
TastyLicks
FurmanCock
Captain9Dragons
SanAntonioCock
Blitzkrieg
Order 66
rt3891
etowngangsta
In-game adjustments, (829)
Doing Something Stup (492)
Exhibition game vs A (208)
Florida calls for Sp (187)
In-game adjustments, conf
2019 - Shilo Sanders
Bentley or Scarnecchia ?
2019 WBB - HoopGurlz (ESP
High school football has
what happened to Frank’s
Exhibition game vs August
JBJ is the ALCS MVP
vBookie Request: Post Req
Zion Williamson pay to pl

Old 02-20-2018, 01:50 PM   #141
BringBackGarcia
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 1000
BringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot material
Default Re: Outcome-Based Goals vs Process-Based Goals

My point stands, though, in that all the arguments about process all hinge on outcome. There's no way to objectively judge a process without the results. Therefore, every good process will thus have good outcome-based goals. And if you try to argue that someone had a meet all process based goals and did things the right way, and yet failed to produce, you'd get a lot of laughs and eye rolls.

Let's take Muschamp for example again. People keep saying he's doing thing the right way based on...W-L's. Nothing changes in process, presumably, and the next three seasons we're sub 500. Still a good process? Nothing's changed except the W's and I bet he'd be getting a lot of heat, though.

I stand by the statement that people touting process-based goals as a means to their success are just patting themselves on the back. They're looking for some sort of logical and meaningful reason they are successful. The fact is, people can all do exactly the same thing and one will be successful and the other 90 will not and it has nothing to do with the worth of that person, or how many process based goals they had, or even with their work ethic.

It's oversimplifying something that has no explanation. Why does person A succeed when persons B, C, and D don't? It can't be something as random as luck, or where they were born, or who they met in college. It has to be something inherent with person A, but 9 times out of 10, it's not. It's just dumb luck and timing and having the right idea at the right time around the right people. But if you accept that, suddenly your success isn't based on you...but that can't be true? Can it? My self worth is based on my success. My worth can't be dictated by something random and pointless? Can it?
BringBackGarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 03:46 PM   #142
CockNJersey
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 5533
CockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot material

As in all areas of life, it totally depends. For some things, the process is irrelevant as long as desired results are produced.
CockNJersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 09:12 PM   #143
gotrice?
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 20020
gotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to gotrice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAtMoRTaYtErz View Post
There isn't one person alive that doesn't have a weakness you can't nitpick. His biggest weakness while he was here was that he was the coach at South Carolina. You just don't seem to get how incredible it was that he was able to do what he did here. Nick Saban himself couldn't do any damn better. There is reason why a guy like Saban doesn't take this job but goes after gigs like LSU and Alabama. At Alabama you can consistently recruit at the highest level, not at South Carolina.
You don't seem to get if Spurrier had been more invested off the field that we could have turned that success into being at Clemson's level instead of a mid season exit followed by a rebuild. The reason we didn't become that is due to the fact we didn't have solid processes in place, they kept evolving with whoever was running recruiting and handling player development. Processes don't need to be static but the changes need to come from the top not the assistants. Spurrier was a great coach but he went with a results oriented approach and never thought recruiting was overly important because he'd be able to out scheme his opponent, that eventually caught up to us and caught up to us at the most inopportune time when we were on the doorstep of being able to cement ourselves as a perennial top team. Result oriented approach with no attention paid to the process will inevitably catch up with you, it's not sustainable. Period. That's why you have to go with process, it's the one way to sustain success not just get lucky for a few years.
gotrice? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 05:20 AM   #144
GamecockInHell
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 1802785
GamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot material

I think if you go with a proven process you are going to have ups and downs but be basically successful. At least until someone comes along with a better (or more effective) process that makes yours obsolete.
GamecockInHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 09:11 AM   #145
GregoryHouse
Pompous Ass Hillbilly

Male

CockyCash: 4999447
GregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackGarcia View Post
My point stands, though, in that all the arguments about process all hinge on outcome. There's no way to objectively judge a process without the results. Therefore, every good process will thus have good outcome-based goals. And if you try to argue that someone had a meet all process based goals and did things the right way, and yet failed to produce, you'd get a lot of laughs and eye rolls.

Let's take Muschamp for example again. People keep saying he's doing thing the right way based on...W-L's. Nothing changes in process, presumably, and the next three seasons we're sub 500. Still a good process? Nothing's changed except the W's and I bet he'd be getting a lot of heat, though.

I stand by the statement that people touting process-based goals as a means to their success are just patting themselves on the back. They're looking for some sort of logical and meaningful reason they are successful. The fact is, people can all do exactly the same thing and one will be successful and the other 90 will not and it has nothing to do with the worth of that person, or how many process based goals they had, or even with their work ethic.

It's oversimplifying something that has no explanation. Why does person A succeed when persons B, C, and D don't? It can't be something as random as luck, or where they were born, or who they met in college. It has to be something inherent with person A, but 9 times out of 10, it's not. It's just dumb luck and timing and having the right idea at the right time around the right people. But if you accept that, suddenly your success isn't based on you...but that can't be true? Can it? My self worth is based on my success. My worth can't be dictated by something random and pointless? Can it?

If one is results oriented, how long are they willing to stay with a course of action before they change course and start over?
Old 02-21-2018, 06:27 PM   #146
highstick
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 2700
highstick is USC mascot materialhighstick is USC mascot materialhighstick is USC mascot materialhighstick is USC mascot materialhighstick is USC mascot materialhighstick is USC mascot materialhighstick is USC mascot materialhighstick is USC mascot materialhighstick is USC mascot materialhighstick is USC mascot materialhighstick is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockNJersey View Post
As in all areas of life, it totally depends. For some things, the process is irrelevant as long as desired results are produced.
Sorta like UnCheats...The process of "cheating" doesn't matter as long as you win National Championships?

Sorta destroys the concept of fair competition, doesn't? Or does that matter anymore?
highstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 07:18 PM   #147
GoldenSpur7
obscurum per obscurius

Male

CockyCash: 4951
GoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot material

Quote:

You might want to look into the difference between leading and lagging indicators. Here's one read: https://kpilibrary.com/topics/laggin...ing-indicators
GoldenSpur7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 02:04 PM   #148
GregoryHouse
Pompous Ass Hillbilly

Male

CockyCash: 4999447
GregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot material
Default Re: Trust the Process

Trust the Process
Old 02-28-2018, 02:50 PM   #149
BringBackGarcia
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 1000
BringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenSpur7 View Post
You might want to look into the difference between leading and lagging indicators. Here's one read: https://kpilibrary.com/topics/laggin...ing-indicators
First, what's more 2000 business vernacular? I swear if I were in finance and had to sit through a meeting where we discussed leading and lagging indicators, I'd lead myself to the nearest window.

But, I still feel like these examples are more clear than something like football. So the wins would be a lagging indicator? Easy to quantify but difficult to improve (especially, it would seem, at certain schools). The problem is, there are no clear leading indicators that would be clearly associated with success. I'm willing to bet every coach in division 1 football has a process or leading indicators that they believe will result in wins or the lagging indicator. But only so few meet with on field success and yet I'm willing to bet most of them will stand by their process or leading indicators.

Again, I feel like the vernacular is just another way to make something that seems elusive make more sense for people in the mix. Are you frustrated because you aren't gaining weight? Well, look how good you're doing with calories. Sucks to lose to UK year after year? Look at how much harder you're working in the offseason. The burst analysis on the sled is through the roof.

And frankly, outside the corporate world, still no one gives a flip about leading indicators. I don't care if a corporation is meeting all their marks on the day to day if my 401k sucks.

And "trust the process" is in the same neighborhood as "champions of life"
BringBackGarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 05:32 PM   #150
gotrice?
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 20020
gotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to gotrice?

Quote:
First, what's more 2000 business vernacular? I swear if I were in finance and had to sit through a meeting where we discussed leading and lagging indicators, I'd lead myself to the nearest window.

But, I still feel like these examples are more clear than something like football. So the wins would be a lagging indicator? Easy to quantify but difficult to improve (especially, it would seem, at certain schools). The problem is, there are no clear leading indicators that would be clearly associated with success. I'm willing to bet every coach in division 1 football has a process or leading indicators that they believe will result in wins or the lagging indicator. But only so few meet with on field success and yet I'm willing to bet most of them will stand by their process or leading indicators.

Again, I feel like the vernacular is just another way to make something that seems elusive make more sense for people in the mix. Are you frustrated because you aren't gaining weight? Well, look how good you're doing with calories. Sucks to lose to UK year after year? Look at how much harder you're working in the offseason. The burst analysis on the sled is through the roof.

And frankly, outside the corporate world, still no one gives a flip about leading indicators. I don't care if a corporation is meeting all their marks on the day to day if my 401k sucks.

And "trust the process" is in the same neighborhood as "champions of life"
Except that is essentially the mantra of Saban and Bellicheck. I'm not sure I'd put them in the category of Butch Jones, but that's just me.
gotrice? is offline   Reply With Quote