CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
carolina_corpsman
Spur's Addiction
TastyLicks
FurmanCock
Captain9Dragons
SanAntonioCock
Blitzkrieg
Order 66
rt3891
etowngangsta
In-game adjustments, (829)
Doing Something Stup (492)
Exhibition game vs A (208)
Florida calls for Sp (187)
In-game adjustments, conf
2019 - Shilo Sanders
Bentley or Scarnecchia ?
2019 WBB - HoopGurlz (ESP
High school football has
what happened to Frank’s
Exhibition game vs August
JBJ is the ALCS MVP
vBookie Request: Post Req
Zion Williamson pay to pl

Old 02-28-2018, 03:25 PM   #1
dreammachine
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 20500
dreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot material
Default SEC CHAMPIONSHIP OR NATIONAL CHAMPS

I was having a conversation with a Jawja Bulldawg the other day and as he was trying to make all types of excuses for losing the National Championship to Alabama, I quickly reminded him that Jawja did win the SEC Championship and I think that is harder to do than winning the National Championship. I say this due to the fact that you have to run the gauntlet of playing 8 games against other SEC Schools. In the long process of a football season, your team gets beat up a good bit and unless you have quality depth you are going to lose some games to teams you might beat. That being said, when the National Championship game comes around you might have a month or longer to heal up some of your wounded warriors that can play and help your team.

I realize that Coach Nick Saban has won 6 NC while coaching, but sometimes he has done this without winning the SEC Championship Game. Coach Spurrier won 6 SEC Championships and 1 NC. So I realize that this makes both of these men great coaches in their own right, but I personally think that winning the SEC Championship is tougher than winning the National Championship.

What say you?
dreammachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 03:43 PM   #2
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
CockyCash: 20200
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material
Default Re: SEC CHAMPIONSHIP OR NATIONAL CHAMPS

To be in the National Championship game, you still have to run that same SEC gauntlet you'd have to run to make it to the SEC Championship. The only way to answer this question is on a year to year basis. There's been a good stretch that the East hasn't been as strong, so winning the SEC if you came from the West wasn't that tough to do.

Now, if you're coming from the East and knock off Bama and make it into the NC against pretty much anybody else, it's probably going to be "easier" to win.

I also think the new playoff makes the National Title a little tougher to reach than previously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoovecock View Post
I agree with Cack.
cack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 03:45 PM   #3
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 119154183
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

It depends on what is tougher to do: beat conference foes that you may have already played during the season, or regularly over the years, and they know your team and philosophies very well, or beat a foe from somewhere else that you may have never played or played in years, and know very little about their team beyond what you can skim off of game film of their season....

But the general thought process is, if you play in a tough conference, and play against tough opponents in the playoffs, the longer the season goes, the tougher it is to win....
ConwayGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 03:58 PM   #4
GregoryHouse
Pompous Ass Hillbilly

Male

CockyCash: 4999447
GregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreammachine View Post
I was having a conversation with a Jawja Bulldawg the other day and as he was trying to make all types of excuses for losing the National Championship to Alabama, I quickly reminded him that Jawja did win the SEC Championship and I think that is harder to do than winning the National Championship. I say this due to the fact that you have to run the gauntlet of playing 8 games against other SEC Schools. In the long process of a football season, your team gets beat up a good bit and unless you have quality depth you are going to lose some games to teams you might beat. That being said, when the National Championship game comes around you might have a month or longer to heal up some of your wounded warriors that can play and help your team.

I realize that Coach Nick Saban has won 6 NC while coaching, but sometimes he has done this without winning the SEC Championship Game. Coach Spurrier won 6 SEC Championships and 1 NC. So I realize that this makes both of these men great coaches in their own right, but I personally think that winning the SEC Championship is tougher than winning the National Championship.

What say you?
Saban's #1 job is to win Nattys. SEC Championships are good seasons but they are playing to win the chip.
Old 02-28-2018, 04:42 PM   #5
bcgibson75
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 5450
bcgibson75 is USC mascot materialbcgibson75 is USC mascot materialbcgibson75 is USC mascot materialbcgibson75 is USC mascot materialbcgibson75 is USC mascot materialbcgibson75 is USC mascot materialbcgibson75 is USC mascot materialbcgibson75 is USC mascot materialbcgibson75 is USC mascot materialbcgibson75 is USC mascot materialbcgibson75 is USC mascot material

SEC Championship is absolutely harder to win, imo.

SEC has the best collection of recruits/players to compete against week in & week out..and the numbers show the SEC is putting more players in the NFL than any other conference. Then you add in that the SEC Champ has to go through 9 other SEC teams (granted the SECCG is not a rematch like this past year).

The time you have to prepare for the Playoff Semi AND then your possible opponent in the Natty is a HUGE advantage. Your team gets 4 weeks off (or 5 weeks like Bama did) to rest/recover/prepare for a 2 game schedule...

Compare that to a 13 game schedule over 14 weeks in the regular season and SECCG.

GO COCKS!!
Old 02-28-2018, 09:14 PM   #6
BlueHerons
Blue Chip

Female

CockyCash: 200
BlueHerons rules the CockPitBlueHerons rules the CockPitBlueHerons rules the CockPitBlueHerons rules the CockPitBlueHerons rules the CockPitBlueHerons rules the CockPitBlueHerons rules the CockPitBlueHerons rules the CockPitBlueHerons rules the CockPitBlueHerons rules the CockPitBlueHerons rules the CockPit

Alabama has won the National Championship twice in recent history and hasn't won the SEC Championship those two years.

2011 and 2017 they won the CFNC and did not win the SEC Championship.

I'd say the SEC Championship is harder to win.
BlueHerons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 10:56 PM   #7
Gamecocks0197
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 5500
Gamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot material

SEC is harder. Georgia and Alabama are recent examples of this. Funny how the past two SEC champions actually ended up losing in the National Championship Game.

In general, winning a national championship has become much harder now with the CFP in place.
Old 02-28-2018, 10:58 PM   #8
DJCatfish
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 4400
DJCatfish is USC mascot materialDJCatfish is USC mascot materialDJCatfish is USC mascot materialDJCatfish is USC mascot materialDJCatfish is USC mascot materialDJCatfish is USC mascot materialDJCatfish is USC mascot materialDJCatfish is USC mascot materialDJCatfish is USC mascot materialDJCatfish is USC mascot materialDJCatfish is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHerons View Post
Alabama has won the National Championship twice in recent history and hasn't won the SEC Championship those two years.

2011 and 2017 they won the CFNC and did not win the SEC Championship.

I'd say the SEC Championship is harder to win.
You realize that those two years someone won the SEC championship and not the national championship, right?

Using this logic, I'd go so far as to say that over the last 20 years, an SEC team has won the the SEC championship an astounding 20 times! But SEC teams have only won the national championship 11 times.
DJCatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 10:12 AM   #9
unccgamecock
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
unccgamecock rules the CockPitunccgamecock rules the CockPitunccgamecock rules the CockPitunccgamecock rules the CockPitunccgamecock rules the CockPitunccgamecock rules the CockPitunccgamecock rules the CockPitunccgamecock rules the CockPitunccgamecock rules the CockPitunccgamecock rules the CockPitunccgamecock rules the CockPit

Both
unccgamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 10:25 AM   #10
rioninusc
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1000000056
rioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterloo Gamecock View Post
If UGA had played Bama in the SECCG, they would not have won the SEC. Bama plays in the West,just maybe the toughest division in P5 Football. last year the East was rated the worst division in P5 football. That's not an opinion that you can argue with, it's fact and no amount of arguing can change that.In fact, take Bama out and you've got the the worst conference in P5 Football. It's Bama and everyone else riding their coat tails.
Waterloo Gamecock is in fact Waterloo Tater that is fact you can argue it all you want, but no amount of arguing will change this fact. Why he is still allowed to troll these forums I don't know, but His A she she conference has had 1 decent all around season, and he has to go gung ho off of one bad season by a division in the toughest conference in America. Waterloo Tater go back to Taternet.
rioninusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 11:22 AM   #11
BringBackGarcia
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 1000
BringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot material

By virtue of number of games needed to win against quality opponents, I guess it would be the SEC title. Even though the conference is top heavy recently, on a schedule of 8 games, probably 4 of them would be legitimately called "tough" games. And then you have to win in Atlanta. However, we were in Atlanta and lost a plethora of games without even a glimmer of hope to be national title contenders, even if we won that game. So there's that.

I think the playoffs make the title more legitimate, though. Most are conference champions, and then have to win a game versus a top 4 opponent twice. And be at the mercy of a the selection committee and how the draws play out.

Both are nice accomplishments but only one is a national title.
BringBackGarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 01:57 PM   #12
MWard
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 94820
MWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot material

It would depend on the year, the division, and your opposite division matchups for that year. Some years it would be harder for a team to win the SEC than the NC, other years it would be harder to win the NC b/c of a weak division or oppoite division opponents.

When you have 3+ teams in your division who are ranked in the Top25, and the 2 other teams on your schedule from the opposite division are ranked Top25 too, there's a good chance that nobody in the other conferences (who have a shot at the Playoffs) will have played that many ranked teams. So IMO, it would be a lot harder to win the SEC in that example.
MWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 03:45 PM   #13
LegalCock
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 8000
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

They are both pretty damn cool.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 04:17 PM   #14
PFW79
Starter

Male

PFW79 has developed his gaff and talonsPFW79 has developed his gaff and talonsPFW79 has developed his gaff and talonsPFW79 has developed his gaff and talonsPFW79 has developed his gaff and talonsPFW79 has developed his gaff and talonsPFW79 has developed his gaff and talonsPFW79 has developed his gaff and talonsPFW79 has developed his gaff and talonsPFW79 has developed his gaff and talonsPFW79 has developed his gaff and talons

Saban has won 6 national titles and 7 SEC titles

Someone pointed out that Bama Saban has twice won the National Title without winning the SEC, but also left out that Bama Saban has twice won the SEC without winning the National Title. So that's a push.
PFW79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 04:33 PM   #15
PFW79
Starter

Male

PFW79 has developed his gaff and talonsPFW79 has developed his gaff and talonsPFW79 has developed his gaff and talonsPFW79 has developed his gaff and talonsPFW79 has developed his gaff and talonsPFW79 has developed his gaff and talonsPFW79 has developed his gaff and talonsPFW79 has developed his gaff and talonsPFW79 has developed his gaff and talonsPFW79 has developed his gaff and talonsPFW79 has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWard View Post
It would depend on the year, the division, and your opposite division matchups for that year. Some years it would be harder for a team to win the SEC than the NC, other years it would be harder to win the NC b/c of a weak division or oppoite division opponents.

When you have 3+ teams in your division who are ranked in the Top25, and the 2 other teams on your schedule from the opposite division are ranked Top25 too, there's a good chance that nobody in the other conferences (who have a shot at the Playoffs) will have played that many ranked teams. So IMO, it would be a lot harder to win the SEC in that example.
That would be very true. Except that has practically never happened. In the past 6 years since SEC expansion, only 2 out of 12 division champs have played both their cross-division games against ranked opponents (2013 Mizzou, 2015 UF).

2013 Mizzou played 5 teams that were ranked at the time--3 out of the 5 finished the season unranked

2015 UF played 2 ranked SECW teams, but 0 ranked SEC teams. (UT finished #22 after winning their bowl game, but was UNR the entire regular season)

The average # of ranked teams an SEC division champ plays is 3 out of 8, which is normal for most of the Power 5 conferences.

The most ranked teams any SEC division champ has played was 6 (2016 Bama), but 3 of those teams finished UNR, including Ole Miss who didn't even go to a bowl game.
PFW79 is offline   Reply With Quote