CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
carolina_corpsman
Canefaninsc
Flameout12
Cocky2001
Ironfan
dreammachine
Flips
TaySC
TastyLicks
kingofnerf
Gator Fan's Perspect (1530)
The critique of the (1336)
The drops aren't on (1017)
Cause of WR issues? (950)
Worst case scenario (731)
Serious Question to (669)
Where are the tight (646)
Is there a good answ (389)
Aja gets a Mountain (371)
Why are we so bad 1s (213)
Where are the tight ends?
Grandma versus Mother
Battling Apathy
2019 Commitment - Ryan Hi
The drops aren't on the r
Bentley or Scarnecchia ?
Perhaps a Solution...
Is there a good answer as
Jake Bentley or Bust
Donta Scott

Old 02-20-2018, 11:02 AM   #1
uscgmck
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100500
uscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot material
Default The Overlooked Success Stories of the 2018 Recruiting Cycle

https://www.si.com/college-football/...south-carolina

South Carolina (No. 19)

Five-star recruits: 0
Four-star recruits: 9
Three-star recruits: 13
In-conference class rank: No. 7 in the SEC
2017 class rank: No. 21 overall, No. 8 in the SEC
South Carolina finished second in the SEC East in 2017, going 9Ė4 and 5Ė3 in conference play. That marked its first winning record since í14 and its best record since í15, and though the Gamecocksí recruiting ranking didnít rise dramatically from 2017, cracking the top 20 is evidence that Will Muschamp is not just riding the coattails of the previous regime two years into his stint in Columbia. Georgia will be an enormous obstacle in the division next season and likely for many to come, and the Bulldogs dipped into the Palmetto State to grab four-star linebacker Channing Tindall, the No. 3 player in the state, but the Gamecocks did land three of the top 10 in-state prospects, the same number as Clemson did (though they are still waiting on four-star Dutch Fork DB/WR Bryce Thompson to meet academic requirements). If South Carolina is as well-stocked as it appears to be, it might be able to make the Bulldogsí road to Atlanta uncomfortable.

uscgmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 12:02 PM   #2
Wisercock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 20000
Wisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot material
Default Re: The Overlooked Success Stories of the 2018 Recruiting Cycle

Best record since 2013.
Old 02-20-2018, 04:37 PM   #3
dreammachine
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 20500
dreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot material

Jawja always has and most likely will have better ranked recruiting classes that USC. We all know that "stars" can be added to a high school player easily - whether he deserves the higher ranking or not. Same thing for a kid that signs early on or plays on a losing team that season and just gets lost in the shuffle. I appreciate the way Coach Muschamp & Staff study the kids that they want in our program and sign kids that they know they can coach up to another level. Time will be the final say on all this, but I honestly think that if Coach Muschamp and crew continue their tremendous style of recruiting, USC can play with Jawja - year in and year out.

Jawja will never be the Alabama of the SEC East Division, as there are now too many good teams for them to have to play against year in and year out. This does not mean to say that Jawja won't be in the hunt each year, I am only saying that I don't think things are going to change that much for Jawja as Florida, Tenn, USC, and maybe a surprise from Kentucky, Mizzu, and Vandy will always be enough to sidetrack Jawja's hopes each year.
dreammachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 12:56 AM   #4
gamecockfan
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 4996200
gamecockfan is USC mascot materialgamecockfan is USC mascot materialgamecockfan is USC mascot materialgamecockfan is USC mascot materialgamecockfan is USC mascot materialgamecockfan is USC mascot materialgamecockfan is USC mascot materialgamecockfan is USC mascot materialgamecockfan is USC mascot materialgamecockfan is USC mascot materialgamecockfan is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to gamecockfan

We gon win a Natty at SC
Old 02-21-2018, 05:16 AM   #5
GamecockInHell
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 1802785
GamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot material

I don't just think uga will have better recruiting classes than us. They will also consistently have more talent than us as long as we aren't able to recruit nationwide with any success. But their problem has always been discipline and I don't see that changing. We just have to evaluate, fill our needs, and coach.
GamecockInHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 10:20 AM   #6
Jleo
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 200
Jleo rules the CockPitJleo rules the CockPitJleo rules the CockPitJleo rules the CockPitJleo rules the CockPitJleo rules the CockPitJleo rules the CockPitJleo rules the CockPitJleo rules the CockPitJleo rules the CockPitJleo rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreammachine View Post
Jawja always has and most likely will have better ranked recruiting classes that USC. We all know that "stars" can be added to a high school player easily - whether he deserves the higher ranking or not. Same thing for a kid that signs early on or plays on a losing team that season and just gets lost in the shuffle. I appreciate the way Coach Muschamp & Staff study the kids that they want in our program and sign kids that they know they can coach up to another level. Time will be the final say on all this, but I honestly think that if Coach Muschamp and crew continue their tremendous style of recruiting, USC can play with Jawja - year in and year out.

Jawja will never be the Alabama of the SEC East Division, as there are now too many good teams for them to have to play against year in and year out. This does not mean to say that Jawja won't be in the hunt each year, I am only saying that I don't think things are going to change that much for Jawja as Florida, Tenn, USC, and maybe a surprise from Kentucky, Mizzu, and Vandy will always be enough to sidetrack Jawja's hopes each year.
When we beat them 4 out of 5 years, I'm fairly certain they had higher rated recruiting classes during and before that run.
Old 02-21-2018, 03:21 PM   #7
El Chick Sid
J Beck and the Yardbirds

Male

El Chick Sid is crowing loudlyEl Chick Sid is crowing loudlyEl Chick Sid is crowing loudlyEl Chick Sid is crowing loudlyEl Chick Sid is crowing loudlyEl Chick Sid is crowing loudlyEl Chick Sid is crowing loudlyEl Chick Sid is crowing loudlyEl Chick Sid is crowing loudlyEl Chick Sid is crowing loudlyEl Chick Sid is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreammachine View Post

If you had said this two or three years ago I would tend to agree with you. If you canít acknowledge that something is different at UGA then ... I donít know what to say ...
El Chick Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 05:13 PM   #8
dreammachine
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 20500
dreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chick Sid View Post
If you had said this two or three years ago I would tend to agree with you. If you canít acknowledge that something is different at UGA then ... I donít know what to say ...
What else can I say? We played them a good game this year and if a couple of plays had went our way the game would have been different. That being said, Jawja played a lot of Mark Richt players this year and that helped and they were very lucky in a couple of games. One year does not a tradition make in the likes of Alabama or what Bama has been able to accomplish. LSU and Auburn both have played some very good football in the last three or four years, but even they are not at the same level as Bama. Is something different at Jawja, yes they had an outstanding year this past season. I would ask you if you can acknowledge that Jawja will do this year in and year out for the next three or four seasons? If not, then I think USC will always have a chance to beat them like we did when Coach Spurrier was here. Our program is laying a solid foundation now and we will compete with Jawja each season - just like we will compete against the rest of the SEC East Div.
dreammachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 05:25 PM   #9
sosfan812
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 5500
sosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chick Sid View Post
Wouldn't you agree that Georgia
s last coach started his career there on fire but then tailed off? The question is can Smart sustain this and we won't know that for a few years.
sosfan812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 09:01 PM   #10
tcmac08
Three-toed sloth

Male

tcmac08 is USC mascot materialtcmac08 is USC mascot materialtcmac08 is USC mascot materialtcmac08 is USC mascot materialtcmac08 is USC mascot materialtcmac08 is USC mascot materialtcmac08 is USC mascot materialtcmac08 is USC mascot materialtcmac08 is USC mascot materialtcmac08 is USC mascot materialtcmac08 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosfan812 View Post
Wouldn't you agree that Georgia
s last coach started his career there on fire but then tailed off? The question is can Smart sustain this and we won't know that for a few years.
Richt never trailed off, he just could never get over the hump which irked the boosters. Carolina, under SOS, beat some pretty good Ga teams. Smart got them over the hump this season by winning a couple of close games that the Georgia teams of Richt's tenor lost (Notre Dame, SC, Okie). Yet, they let a big lead get away in the championship game because their offensive and defensive play calling became very vanilla. (Yes the bama freshman had the game of his life, but Ga made no adjustments on either side of the ball). Ga is losing a lot of their main playmakers, so this upcoming season will determine if Smart is as good a coach as he is being made out to be. (For the record-I think he is a pretty good coach, but I do not think Ga will be as steady this season as they were last season)
tcmac08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 11:29 AM   #11
Garnet Gamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 6200
Garnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecockfan View Post
We gon win a Natty at SC

People think thatís crazy talk but I actually agree. We will be an elite program within 5 years. Once we are at that level anything is possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-23-2018, 10:06 AM   #12
Wisercock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 20000
Wisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnet Gamecock View Post
People think thatís crazy talk but I actually agree. We will be an elite program within 5 years. Once we are at that level anything is possible.

I'd love to see the look on Florida fans faces.

Clemson too.
Old 02-23-2018, 01:53 PM   #13
sgacock
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 5500
sgacock is USC mascot materialsgacock is USC mascot materialsgacock is USC mascot materialsgacock is USC mascot materialsgacock is USC mascot materialsgacock is USC mascot materialsgacock is USC mascot materialsgacock is USC mascot materialsgacock is USC mascot materialsgacock is USC mascot materialsgacock is USC mascot material

Quote:

No doubt about it, and I've been saying that since Deitzel was hired.
sgacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 03:05 PM   #14
NAGamec0ckFan
Proverbs 14:12

Male

NAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot material

Quote:

What do you consider elite? I think we can consistently win 8-9 games a year, and maybe 10 occasionally, but anything beyond that is a pipe dream.
NAGamec0ckFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 04:09 PM   #15
pitchcock
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 29698000
pitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAGamec0ckFan View Post
What do you consider elite? I think we can consistently win 8-9 games a year, and maybe 10 occasionally, but anything beyond that is a pipe dream.
That's defeatist thinking.

We can win 10+ games consistently with good recruiting and good play.

Part of that entails a culture change with our players and fan base. If either doesn't think it's possible, then maybe they should play for/support some other program.
pitchcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 04:38 PM   #16
kidrobinski
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 1320
kidrobinski is USC mascot materialkidrobinski is USC mascot materialkidrobinski is USC mascot materialkidrobinski is USC mascot materialkidrobinski is USC mascot materialkidrobinski is USC mascot materialkidrobinski is USC mascot materialkidrobinski is USC mascot materialkidrobinski is USC mascot materialkidrobinski is USC mascot materialkidrobinski is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchcock View Post
That's defeatist thinking.

We can win 10+ games consistently with good recruiting and good play.

Part of that entails a culture change with our players and fan base. If either doesn't think it's possible, then maybe they should play for/support some other program.
Wha?!?

So if I don't believe that the college football landscape is now or ever has been set up for South Carolina to consistently, *consistently* win 10+ games every year, I'm not worthy to be a fan? Lol.

How about if I'm ok with that scenario, not because I have a "defeatist" mentality, but because I enjoy the journey as much as I enjoy the destination? What if I don't need for my team to be undefeated to feel good about myself? Where the season is considered over if a game is lost? What happens when all the other teams exhibit "good recruiting and good play"?
kidrobinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 06:04 PM   #17
CockySpaniel
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 4400000261
CockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot material

We got out recruited by the dumpster fires at Fla. And Tn.

There is no justification for keeping a second rate OC as a recruiter.

Some one told me Muschamp was a lazy recruiter, I doubted him.
I don't doubt him now. Looks like he is too lazy to find a decent recruiter as well.
Old 02-26-2018, 09:08 PM   #18
cockyboy
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 3111
cockyboy has developed his gaff and talonscockyboy has developed his gaff and talonscockyboy has developed his gaff and talonscockyboy has developed his gaff and talonscockyboy has developed his gaff and talonscockyboy has developed his gaff and talonscockyboy has developed his gaff and talonscockyboy has developed his gaff and talonscockyboy has developed his gaff and talonscockyboy has developed his gaff and talonscockyboy has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockySpaniel View Post
We got out recruited by the dumpster fires at Fla. And Tn.

There is no justification for keeping a second rate OC as a recruiter.

Some one told me Muschamp was a lazy recruiter, I doubted him.
I don't doubt him now. Looks like he is too lazy to find a decent recruiter as well.

You're joking right? The one thing Muschamp is known for his recruiting prowess.
cockyboy is offline   Reply With Quote