CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
carolina_corpsman
Blitzkrieg
RGHoskins
Captain9Dragons
rt3891
TastyLicks
The Yancey
Master Bedroom
kick_ball
SanAntonioCock
Sure, it's a long sh (668)
Domesticated Foxes? (316)
Uncharted 4 (128)
GH Recommends: Histo (111)
NCAAF: GEORGIA @ MIS (108)
Shinedown & Gods (8)
Sure, it's a long shot
Willy B upgrades to cost
2019 schedule out
NFL: JETS @ BROWNS Thu 9/
WBB recruiting summary:
WBB: 2019 Aubrey Griffin
2019 - PG Josiah James (M
How Good Can Frank's Team
Remembering Kenny
Influential Pastor steeri

Old 02-27-2018, 01:30 PM   #1
swjwjwkw
Walk On

Female

CockyCash: 500
swjwjwkw is developing his combswjwjwkw is developing his combswjwjwkw is developing his combswjwjwkw is developing his combswjwjwkw is developing his combswjwjwkw is developing his combswjwjwkw is developing his combswjwjwkw is developing his comb
Default Malik Young to DT

http://www.thestate.com/sports/colle...202365324.html

"HEAVEN ON EARTH"
swjwjwkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 01:44 PM   #2
AndersonCock
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 3000
AndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot material
Default Re: Malik Young to DT

I thought he was supposed to be a monster at offensive tackle? Best of luck to him though hopefully he can contribute this season.
AndersonCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 01:52 PM   #3
catdaddy66
Former Walk On in-law

Male

CockyCash: 244550779341
catdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot material

I realize we lost a few very talented DL contributors but why does removing a talented AND experienced OL make any sense?? They take longer to develop than the DL and Malik is one of our bright spots on the front of the offense.

I need to trust in the coaches but this gives me... pause.
Old 02-27-2018, 01:53 PM   #4
BringBackGarcia
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
BringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndersonCock View Post
I thought he was supposed to be a monster at offensive tackle? Best of luck to him though hopefully he can contribute this season.
I'm assuming the coach knows a lot more than us, but

1. The next sentence almost he talks about worrying about depth at the OL. So he takes a player away from there?

2. Since we have a defensive minded coach, moves like this always makes me wonder. I don't know how to quantify this, but say you could score someone at a position. Malik gets a 70 on the offensive line but a 80 at defensive line then even though the rest of the offensive line is at the same or slightly less, the defensive minded coach would be more focused on strengthening the more 'important' side of the ball.
BringBackGarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 01:54 PM   #5
swjwjwkw
Walk On

Female

CockyCash: 500
swjwjwkw is developing his combswjwjwkw is developing his combswjwjwkw is developing his combswjwjwkw is developing his combswjwjwkw is developing his combswjwjwkw is developing his combswjwjwkw is developing his combswjwjwkw is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy66 View Post
I realize we lost a few very talented DL contributors but why does removing a talented AND experienced OL make any sense?? They take longer to develop than the DL and Malik is one of our bright spots on the front of the offense.

I need to trust in the coaches but this gives me... pause.
I think this has more to do with the current OL as well as what is coming in on the OL. Something tells me that Muschamp thinks he would be more beneficial for the team on the DL than on the OL.

"HEAVEN ON EARTH"
swjwjwkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 01:56 PM   #6
carolinamyke
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 5500
carolinamyke is USC mascot materialcarolinamyke is USC mascot materialcarolinamyke is USC mascot materialcarolinamyke is USC mascot materialcarolinamyke is USC mascot materialcarolinamyke is USC mascot materialcarolinamyke is USC mascot materialcarolinamyke is USC mascot materialcarolinamyke is USC mascot materialcarolinamyke is USC mascot materialcarolinamyke is USC mascot material

Quote:
Where did you see he was suppose to be a monster at offensive tackle ? I remember him signing out of woodmont high school . Not a really highly recruited player as far as I can recall , but there were hopes he would pan out in time . I hope he can help on D line. Hes a big boy
carolinamyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 01:58 PM   #7
SCohioBoy
Buckle up, BOOM Comin'

Male

CockyCash: 16238
SCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot material

Bailey is moving back to guard as well.

My early guess for the OL

LT- Daily
LG-Stanley
C- Douglas
RG- Bailey
RT-Hutcherson
Old 02-27-2018, 02:17 PM   #8
AndersonCock
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 3000
AndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinamyke View Post
Where did you see he was suppose to be a monster at offensive tackle ? I remember him signing out of woodmont high school . Not a really highly recruited player as far as I can recall , but there were hopes he would pan out in time . I hope he can help on D line. Hes a big boy
I was thinking of Donnell Stanley, my bad.
AndersonCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 02:38 PM   #9
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 119335183
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

Malik was considered a very big part of the OL at Left Tackle before last season started, but early on he lost the starting job to Daley. He was great depth to have for the OL with his experience, but if Daley was going to be the LT going forward, and if Bailey was locking down the RT spot, it was kinda shoving Young to a reserve role in his final year of FB, and that would be a shame.

I guess they thought he could better benefit the DL in his final season than the OL at this point....
ConwayGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 03:03 PM   #10
longhaul
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 2000
longhaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot material

Hopefully Malik can give us a little depth in the middle of the defensive line. We need another big body to rotate in and eat up blocks. I like Bailey moving back to the guard spot. He seemed to me to be a natural at guard.
longhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 03:07 PM   #11
Flameout12
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Why we wish Malik the best, hopefully this is a sign that younger players are pushing up the depth chart. We'll have 17 OL on scholly at some point.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 09:23 PM   #12
cockymac
I was the white shadow.

Male

CockyCash: 6200
cockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot material

My main worry for this year has been who will take the other DT spot beside Kinlaw. I see now that the coaches have the same worry. It's a bad sign to have to move an experienced O lineman to D. Jeez, this move needs to pay off.
cockymac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 09:42 PM   #13
Wisercock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 20000
Wisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCohioBoy View Post
Bailey is moving back to guard as well.

My early guess for the OL

LT- Daily
LG-Stanley
C- Douglas
RG- Bailey
RT-Hutcherson
Camper and Parks the first two in?
Old 02-27-2018, 10:20 PM   #14
Three and Out
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 20500
Three and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot material

Quote:
He didn’t play much last year. He’s been passed by others. I think he has a good chance to be a very good DT. Very strong and athletic, and he’ll likely pick up our defensive scheme fairly quickly.
Three and Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 10:26 PM   #15
Three and Out
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Three and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisercock View Post
Camper and Parks the first two in?
Parks is finished. According to Boom today, Camper is starting at RT with Stanley at center and Baily moving back to guard.
Old 02-27-2018, 10:31 PM   #16
USCBASEBALL1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 311755
USCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot material

Malik is very athletic. His build is that of a DT more so than a OL. Not saying he is going to light it up but he has a nasty streak and he could really help us shore up the DT position.
USCBASEBALL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 10:39 PM   #17
crowcutta
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 6000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

i look at it like guard is zach's best position and that trio inside already gives us a better run game. as far as young, hes a senior and hes likely the best suited to make a switch. of course we lose that depth at ot, but the optimistic thinking is we have 2 seniors at the ot positions so its best to get those guys ready starting now because we're going to need to be starters in 2019.

at dt i feel comfortable starting kobe smith next to kinlaw if we had to play soon, but our other 2 veteran dt's havent played, and while keir thomas can play dt id like to limit it to rabbits package as much as possible because its asking a lot of him and our other veteran de's probably wont be as stout against the run.

at the very least we probably need the extra body at dt for the spring, and into the fall. hes a good athlete so maybe it will stick, and being a veteran who has started at ot before if we get in a pinch he might be able to switch back no problem.
crowcutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 10:46 PM   #18
Three and Out
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowcutta View Post
i look at it like guard is zach's best position and that trio inside already gives us a better run game. as far as young, hes a senior and hes likely the best suited to make a switch. of course we lose that depth at ot, but the optimistic thinking is we have 2 seniors at the ot positions so its best to get those guys ready starting now because we're going to need to be starters in 2019.

at dt i feel comfortable starting kobe smith next to kinlaw if we had to play soon, but our other 2 veteran dt's havent played, and while keir thomas can play dt id like to limit it to rabbits package as much as possible because its asking a lot of him and our other veteran de's probably wont be as stout against the run.

at the very least we probably need the extra body at dt for the spring, and into the fall. hes a good athlete so maybe it will stick, and being a veteran who has started at ot before if we get in a pinch he might be able to switch back no problem.
We’ve got Sandidge, Ellis and Gibbs coming in this summer to play DT.
Old 02-27-2018, 10:58 PM   #19
carolinamyke
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 5500
carolinamyke is USC mascot materialcarolinamyke is USC mascot materialcarolinamyke is USC mascot materialcarolinamyke is USC mascot materialcarolinamyke is USC mascot materialcarolinamyke is USC mascot materialcarolinamyke is USC mascot materialcarolinamyke is USC mascot materialcarolinamyke is USC mascot materialcarolinamyke is USC mascot materialcarolinamyke is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three and Out View Post
Weve got Sandidge, Ellis and Gibbs coming in this summer to play DT.
Thoughts on Jovaughn Gwynn moving to DT? Some think he coukd Be great as a defensive tackle
carolinamyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 11:48 PM   #20
Goofyboy
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

From Muschamp's remarks, I got the impression the coaches think Malik may get more playing time at DT than OL. Spring is a good time to try it out.
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote