CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
thekob
SanAntonioCock
TaySC
Wisercock
PFW79
ConwayGamecock
Master Bedroom
ShutTheSuccop
sosfan812
Lonnie
Vote for Hilinski (876)
2020 men's basketbal (665)
2020 - Jay Stewart (521)
2021 - Brock Vandagr (509)
2020 - Dajeun Gibson (415)
From the "Not s (285)
Best Hash & Rice (251)
Christmas Gift For W (175)
Vote for Hillinski. (159)
A Must Read About Th (138)
A Must Read About The Hil
2018 College Head Coachin
Best Hash & Rice -BBQ
The "Cult of Frank&q
Vote for Hilinski
Discussion: 2019 Recruiti
2020 - Jordan Burch
Muschamp: Most wins in 1s
2020 men's basketball rec
Rumor Mill: Bobby Bentley

Old 03-02-2018, 10:48 AM   #1
dreammachine
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 20500
dreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot material
Default Coach Will Muschamp & Football Staff

After being a Gamecock Fan for many years now, I can honestly say that I think that this coaching staff that Coach Muschamp has put together is maybe the best that we have ever had from top to bottom. Not only are they very solid football coaches, they are also most excellent recruiters and great evaluators of talent - regardless of the star power these recruits have at the time.

How do the rest of y'all rate Coach Muschamp's Staff now against the past coaching staffs at USC and also against what is out there in the SEC now.
dreammachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 10:55 AM   #2
CoverTwo
If C2 doesn't trust you..

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material
Default Re: Coach Will Muschamp & Football Staff

I think it’s top half of the league.

Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee, Auburn, and aTm all have great staffs too.

Not sure what Mullen put together at UF.

A sneaky good staff is Mark Stoops at Kentucky.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 11:49 AM   #3
Flameout12
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

The coaching changes over the past 2 seasons are solid upgrades. I'm optimistic!
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 12:41 PM   #4
dreammachine
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 20500
dreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
I think itís top half of the league.

Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee, Auburn, and aTm all have great staffs too.

Not sure what Mullen put together at UF.

A sneaky good staff is Mark Stoops at Kentucky.

CT, I like your assessment of the coaching staffs in the SEC as you have a ton more knowledge on this subject than many of us. That being said, I do think Coach Saban is the best as he just replaces coaches with as good or better as he loses so many great ones to other schools as head coaches. Do you think after Alabama, USC has the best when it comes to not only coaching, but also in recruiting also? I know that GA had an outstanding season, but a vast majority of those players did belong to Coach Richt and we need to see what Coach Smart and his staff can do with the next two or three, even though he did have what seems to be an outstanding class this year, but Coach Richt always had a Top Ten Class in recruiting each year too and even though he got close to the National Championship Game, he ran out of time against Bama and the rest is history.

Auburn is another team that has lost a few coaches in the last couple of years and have somehow managed to hang on and still play some darn good football. I am sure that Jimbo Fisher will do an outstanding job at Texas A&M, but the one that really surprises me is Coach Stoops at Kentucky. This guy has done what many people thought was impossible and that's put together a pretty good competitive team at Kentucky. I am sure Florida will get back into the hunt in a year or two as that state is loaded with talent. Tenn, I just don't know as I do think that there are a few good players on that team, but I think that they have a lot of wholes to fill as of now and will the fans at Tenn give the new coach time to prove himself???
dreammachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 01:18 PM   #5
BringBackGarcia
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1000
BringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot material

It's a solid staff (with the disclaimer I've been following closely since '99. Don't know much other than history for the seasons before then).

However, I think a lot of this, in my opinion, is a hangover from some of the late hires of the previous coaching staff. When you're looking at Kirk Botkin and Deke Adams, it's easy to be wowed.

But I agree. Take all the other junk out, top to bottom there isn't a glaring weakness. I guess the only question mark, really, is still experience on the offensive side. Adding Werner helps that, but it's still young at the top.
BringBackGarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 01:25 PM   #6
CoverTwo

Male

CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackGarcia View Post
But I agree. Take all the other junk out, top to bottom there isn't a glaring weakness. I guess the only question mark, really, is still experience on the offensive side. Adding Werner helps that, but it's still young at the top.
Idk, our offensive staff top to bottom is pretty experienced. Werner, Bentley, Wolford, and Washington have a ridiculous amount of experience. Sure, McClendon is young but he has a support staff that is about as experienced as you are going to find.

I'd argue that lack of experience on the defense side with Hutzler, Petersen, and now Krantz is a bigger question mark. But it gets overshadowed by what Muschamp, T-Rob, and Lance bring to the table since they are the brains of the operation.

I think the biggest criticism with this staff as a whole is probably on the recruiting trail in regards to locking down some of the higher profile players that were on our board. I think our overall recruiting is very good because they do an outstanding job evaluating talent and they are probably the most resourceful staff we've ever had but I think missing on some kids the past 2 years has been a hard pill to swallow perception wise given the rep of some of these guys when they came to Columbia. We have 4 former recruiters of the year on staff. I don't think many schools in the conference can say that.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
Old 03-02-2018, 01:35 PM   #7
BringBackGarcia
Two Deep

Male

BringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot material

Quote:
Idk, our offensive staff top to bottom is pretty experienced. Werner, Bentley, Wolford, and Washington have a ridiculous amount of experience. Sure, McClendon is young but he has a support staff that is about as experienced as you are going to find.

I'd argue that lack of experience on the defense side with Hutzler, Petersen, and now Krantz is a bigger question mark. But it gets overshadowed by what Muschamp, T-Rob, and Lance bring to the table since they are the brains of the operation.

I think the biggest criticism with this staff as a whole is probably on the recruiting trail in regards to locking down some of the higher profile players that were on our board. I think our overall recruiting is very good because they do an outstanding job evaluating talent and they are probably the most resourceful staff we've ever had but I think missing on some kids the past 2 years has been a hard pill to swallow perception wise given the rep of some of these guys when they came to Columbia. We have 4 former recruiters of the year on staff. I don't think many schools in the conference can say that.
I actually forget about the defensive coaches with Muschamp and T-Rob, but I see your point there. I guess I don't count Bentley as experienced, though, just because of his time in college. I don't care about the football is football arguments, coaching 14-18 year old versus 18-23 year olds with the pressure and the resources and the skill and egos isn't the same gig.

Anyway, I think the recruiting aspect is interesting. We've missed on big names, but we've also came off a tailspin and an entire coaching overhaul, and then hired the coach that couldn't win at Florida. I give them a ton of credit for the past two classes. However, that pass is over now that we've had a solid season and should have a really good one next year, too. Losing committed players to your direct competition isn't what I expect of four recruiters of the year.

Like I've said in other threads, Muschamp and co. have been solid on the recruiting trail, but I haven't had that wow, can't wait to see that kid, moment.
Old 03-02-2018, 01:57 PM   #8
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 101850400
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackGarcia View Post
I actually forget about the defensive coaches with Muschamp and T-Rob, but I see your point there. I guess I don't count Bentley as experienced, though, just because of his time in college. I don't care about the football is football arguments, coaching 14-18 year old versus 18-23 year olds with the pressure and the resources and the skill and egos isn't the same gig.

Anyway, I think the recruiting aspect is interesting. We've missed on big names, but we've also came off a tailspin and an entire coaching overhaul, and then hired the coach that couldn't win at Florida. I give them a ton of credit for the past two classes. However, that pass is over now that we've had a solid season and should have a really good one next year, too. Losing committed players to your direct competition isn't what I expect of four recruiters of the year.

Like I've said in other threads, Muschamp and co. have been solid on the recruiting trail, but I haven't had that wow, can't wait to see that kid, moment.
I think we got several of those kinds of guys in this class.. Sandidge, Jaycee Horn, Josh Vann, and Israel Mukuamu.

Now granted, I get they aren't a 5* like landing XT or KJ Henry but they are still players that I see being very valuable to us.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 02:21 PM   #9
BringBackGarcia
Two Deep

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockypantherfan View Post
I think we got several of those kinds of guys in this class.. Sandidge, Jaycee Horn, Josh Vann, and Israel Mukuamu.

Now granted, I get they aren't a 5* like landing XT or KJ Henry but they are still players that I see being very valuable to us.
I don't disagree they're going to be valuable players, and maybe they'll be the difference makers, but I was thinking more along the lines of the kind of player to take over a game: Lattimore freshman year with UGA, Clowney turning up the heat to save games (I swear, as a DE, I don't know if there's been one as important to the success of a year. I remember thinking that at one point, we would've lost 3-4 more games if he hadn't been that kind of player).

However, looking back, there's been a lot of players I was excited about that completely disappointed.
Old 03-02-2018, 02:28 PM   #10
CoverTwo

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockypantherfan View Post

My problem is not really with the elites. Its guys like Karamo Dioubate, Troy Pride, Riley Ridley, Javon Wims, Hamsah Nasirildeen, Robert Beal, Trajan Bandy, Devante Wyatt, Channing Tindall, Raquon O'Neal, Jarrett Jackson, Kelijah Brown.

I'm not saying we should've landed all of these guys but there are some dudes in here that could've helped us a lot.

I think the only ELITE player I'm frustrated that our staff couldn't land was KJ Henry and here is why. We had the PERFECT story to sell to him. We NEED a guy like him at the BUCK position. Our entire defense revolves around that position and our current BUCK is going to be playing on Sundays possibly next year. Coach Muschamp has turned dudes like Henry into MILLIONAIRES because they are so versatile. He personally recruited Henry, got the official visit and just missed out and idk it just stings because I'm just at a loss why two perfect pieces couldn't fit. I guess I had faith that he was going to pull a Devonte Fowler Jr. again and swipe him up at the last minute.

Old 03-02-2018, 02:52 PM   #11
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 1472263
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
My problem is not really with the elites. Its guys like Karamo Dioubate, Troy Pride, Riley Ridley, Javon Wims, Hamsah Nasirildeen, Robert Beal, Trajan Bandy, Devante Wyatt, Channing Tindall, Raquon O'Neal, Jarrett Jackson, Kelijah Brown.

I'm not saying we should've landed all of these guys but there are some dudes in here that could've helped us a lot.

I think the only ELITE player I'm frustrated that our staff couldn't land was KJ Henry and here is why. We had the PERFECT story to sell to him. We NEED a guy like him at the BUCK position. Our entire defense revolves around that position and our current BUCK is going to be playing on Sundays possibly next year. Coach Muschamp has turned dudes like Henry into MILLIONAIRES because they are so versatile. He personally recruited Henry, got the official visit and just missed out and idk it just stings because I'm just at a loss why two perfect pieces couldn't fit. I guess I had faith that he was going to pull a Devonte Fowler Jr. again and swipe him up at the last minute.
Good post. 3 seasons in now, and with us having more and more success it is time we land a big name in 2019. Looking at Crouch and/or Pickens.
Old 03-02-2018, 02:56 PM   #12
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 1472263
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Quote:

Henry would've been nice but I guess I never felt the "loss" of Henry because he was perceived to be a tater all along.

Tindall is the toughest one for me to swallow. We were thought to be the favorite, he lives 10 minutes from campus, we were the first to offer, and he is the top player at a position where we're losing a bunch of upperclassmen. Thankfully Louis fell into our lap. I wish Tindall nothing but the best but hopefully it turns into a similar situation as when we got Skai after losing Rolin (without the injuries).
Old 03-02-2018, 03:07 PM   #13
Nureye
White helmets rule

Male

CockyCash: 6465
Nureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot material

Prior to Muschamp coming here this was our best coaching staff:

Steve Spurrier - Head Coach
Ellis Johnson - Assistant Head Coach & Defense Assistant Coach
Lorenzo Ward - Defensive Coordinator & Safeties
Shane Beamer - Cornerbacks/Special Teams & Recruiting Coordinator
Shawn Elliott - Offensive Line/Running Game Coordinator
Craig Fitzgerald - Strength & Conditioning
Jay Graham - Running Backs
Johnson Hunter - Tight Ends
Brad Lawing - Defensive Line
G.A. Mangus - Quarterbacks
Steve Spurrier, Jr. - Wide Receivers
Old 03-02-2018, 05:42 PM   #14
Goofyboy
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

Erase the nepotism from a couple of previous coaches, and their staffs were quite good. At least we won't have that issue with Muschamp. He also broke with a close associate who didn't perform the first 2 years.
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 07:16 PM   #15
highstick
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 2700
highstick is USC mascot materialhighstick is USC mascot materialhighstick is USC mascot materialhighstick is USC mascot materialhighstick is USC mascot materialhighstick is USC mascot materialhighstick is USC mascot materialhighstick is USC mascot materialhighstick is USC mascot materialhighstick is USC mascot materialhighstick is USC mascot material

Don't forget my skinned head enthusastic S&C Coach Dillman! I still think we went down the tubes when Fitz left.
highstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 11:58 AM   #16
highpockets12
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 200
highpockets12 has earned his spurshighpockets12 has earned his spurshighpockets12 has earned his spurshighpockets12 has earned his spurshighpockets12 has earned his spurshighpockets12 has earned his spurs

I think we should be damn thankful for the coaching staff we have. imo, the staff we have came here not because of USC, not the money,[well maybe the money ] but because of Muschamp. got to remember our history is not all that stellar. some even said USC was where old coaches go to die, we struggled for years to get quality coaches and players to come here. I think with Spurrier ,he brought in a change that turned our program in a direction we never expected. we didnt land a lot of 5 star players . But we sure turned them out , players like S. Rice
M. Lattimore ,J Clowney A. Jeffery, S.Gilmore the list goes on . People are starting to take notice to S.C. as a up coming power. The exposure we got during the super bowl is going to pay off.I think we are on our way to being a top 10 team for years to come. We have a solid coaching staff and they are, and will continue to bring in quality players. I just hope we can hang onto them once we start having success. And we will !!!
highpockets12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 12:31 PM   #17
Gamecocks0197
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 5500
Gamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot material

I think the program in general is light years ahead of what it was 10-15 years ago. The expectations are higher, and no one settles for mediocrity. That goes for everyone - administration, coaching staff, players and fans. Even the little details like how the stadium looks is part of the plan.

Muschamp has said this before, but the difference is that everyone is invested. All hands on deck is what it takes. The AD is invested, the University president (who is probably the best we've ever had) is invested, and so is everyone else. That's how you start building.

That's why I think top to bottom this (seems to be) one of the best we've ever had. Of course the results will dictate that, but right now it's not that hard to argue.
Old 03-03-2018, 12:36 PM   #18
CockTail
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 5500
CockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot material

Landing big recruits when you have limited national success is a process. Unless a kid grows up wanting to be a Gamecock, we are fighting an uphill battle. WM is developing a recruiting process that will eventually pay big dividends. It goes like this

1. It starts on the field having success.
2. Selling recruits on early playing time
3. Getting them enrolled early so they can be prepared to play early. Goes back to #1.
4. Keeping your coaching staff in tack so you can begin developing relationships with future recruits and have those relationships continue until signing day.
5. Getting those future recruits on campus early and getting their commitment early. I don’t ever remember talking about recruits that are 2 and 3 classes away like we are now.

Seems like he has checked off all those boxes to me.
Old 03-03-2018, 02:48 PM   #19
Ace Dilcock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 13324
Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material

Boom should get something of a pass for his classes so far because recruits are strongly influenced by what happens in their Sophomore and Junior years in HS, when they first start looking at colleges. This coming class is the first where we have the 3-9 year firmly in the rear view mirror, and the most recent season was a success at 9-4 and a bowl victory.

Then look at our primary recruiting competition. Clemson has three straight playoff appearances, including a title, and UGA just played in the championship game. That explains the Tindall and XT/Henry situations.

If we put together another solid year and UGA/Clemson miss the playoffs, we will get some of those 4* and 5* athletes that we were close on the last couple of years.

Because we have a staff that recruits hard and recruits well. They just needed a little better product to sell and they are getting that now.
Ace Dilcock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 05:12 PM   #20
Flameout12
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Recruiting thread?

Will has to weather the storm of his past experience with UF and issues with his offenses.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote