CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
thekob
SanAntonioCock
TaySC
Wisercock
ShutTheSuccop
Master Bedroom
PFW79
ConwayGamecock
sosfan812
Lonnie
Vote for Hilinski (902)
2020 men's basketbal (690)
2020 - Jay Stewart (549)
2021 - Brock Vandagr (519)
2020 - Dajeun Gibson (424)
Best Hash & Rice (312)
From the "Not s (300)
A Must Read About Th (208)
Christmas Gift For W (192)
Vote for Hillinski. (159)
Best Hash & Rice -BBQ
The "Cult of Frank&q
A Must Read About The Hil
2018 College Head Coachin
Vote for Hilinski
Discussion: 2019 Recruiti
2020 - Jordan Burch
Muschamp: Most wins in 1s
2020 men's basketball rec
Rumor Mill: Bobby Bentley

Old 03-05-2018, 09:26 PM   #1
Legalman72
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 19800000000
Legalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot material
Default Is it possible to sustain success against our rival?

This thread is about the three main men's sports: Football, Basketball, Baseball

It goes without saying that the current period in these 3 sports, versus our rival, isn't good.

In football, they're at an all-time high. Tough spot for us, and for anyone else not named Bama or maybe UGA,

In basketball, we might have a leg up but it hasn't consistently shown head-to-head in the Martin era.

In baseball, we had the upper hand but have lost it. Monte Lee is an excellent coach but we have better recent tradition.

There are myriad reasons, I know. Each sport has had defections, suspensions, laziness, etc. That noted, will we ever be able to sustain success against them in these three sports? If so, will our current efforts be enough, or will it take something more? Our rival seems to go all out in order to win, right down to marketing, atmosphere, media control, etc.

Do we do enough? Can we do more? Is being in Columbia a positive, or a hindrance?

(I'm sure some will be rankled by this post. It seems this type of discussion is taboo, etc. That's fine, flame me if you want. I'm hoping for rational discussion. Not sure it will do any good, but I do believe success in all three of these sports can be sustained. And I guess I define that as 60-65% winning percentage going forward. Perhaps others define it differently. Thanks.)
Legalman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 09:50 PM   #2
CockyandProud
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 7450
CockyandProud is USC mascot materialCockyandProud is USC mascot materialCockyandProud is USC mascot materialCockyandProud is USC mascot materialCockyandProud is USC mascot materialCockyandProud is USC mascot materialCockyandProud is USC mascot materialCockyandProud is USC mascot materialCockyandProud is USC mascot materialCockyandProud is USC mascot materialCockyandProud is USC mascot material
Default Re: Is it possible to sustain success against our rival?

I have no doubt that we will be turning the tables in football. They have done a very good job with their marketing, recruiting, facilities, and everything else, from top to bottom. We had the upper hand, but the previous coach let it slip away. Muschamp will not rest, he will continue to work, he will not stop innovating on the recruiting trail, he will do what it takes to turn us into a regular, consistent, national power. I love how he is setting up the staff to continue success as coaches move on to take over other teams. I honestly believe that we will begin beating our rival, maybe this coming season, but more likely the next season. Once that starts, it will continue, in my opinion. I think Muschamp is building toughness, and confidence, that is based on hard work, not on emotion, and hype. Emotion and hype can get the job done for a bit, but not for ever.

I believe Coach Kingston will turn the baseball team around. It won't be overnight, but it will definitely improve over the next two seasons. He has his work cut out this year, but he knows what he is doing, based on his previous work, and I believe he will return us back to our previous glory fairly quickly.

I'm not so sure about basketball any more.
CockyandProud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 10:23 PM   #3
rt3891
ISLAND COCK

Male

CockyCash: 3000
rt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockyandProud View Post
I have no doubt that we will be turning the tables in football. They have done a very good job with their marketing, recruiting, facilities, and everything else, from top to bottom. We had the upper hand, but the previous coach let it slip away. Muschamp will not rest, he will continue to work, he will not stop innovating on the recruiting trail, he will do what it takes to turn us into a regular, consistent, national power. I love how he is setting up the staff to continue success as coaches move on to take over other teams. I honestly believe that we will begin beating our rival, maybe this coming season, but more likely the next season. Once that starts, it will continue, in my opinion. I think Muschamp is building toughness, and confidence, that is based on hard work, not on emotion, and hype. Emotion and hype can get the job done for a bit, but not for ever.

I believe Coach Kingston will turn the baseball team around. It won't be overnight, but it will definitely improve over the next two seasons. He has his work cut out this year, but he knows what he is doing, based on his previous work, and I believe he will return us back to our previous glory fairly quickly.

I'm not so sure about basketball any more.
I agree with everything except the last thing. Martin has plenty of help on the way, we’ll be back in the tournament in a year.
rt3891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 10:31 PM   #4
AndersonCock
Two Deep

Male

AndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot material

Damn y’all gave up on basketball after a final four run we’ll be fine in B-ball it’s gaining the baseball momentum back that I don’t think will happen. I dislike Holbrook more than Spurrier. Holbrook was handed the keys to a Lamborghini and he wrecked it.
AndersonCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 10:46 PM   #5
Senior Rooster
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 72000000
Senior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndersonCock View Post
Damn y’all gave up on basketball after a final four run we’ll be fine in B-ball it’s gaining the baseball momentum back that I don’t think will happen. I dislike Holbrook more than Spurrier. Holbrook was handed the keys to a Lamborghini and he wrecked it.
Not me!!!! After last years Final 4, Martin should get a long leash.
Old 03-06-2018, 01:03 AM   #6
Three and Out
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 20500
Three and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior Rooster View Post
Not me!!!! After last years Final 4, Martin should get a long leash.
Three and Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 01:26 AM   #7
Master Bedroom
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 10500
Master Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot material

Yes
Master Bedroom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 01:34 AM   #8
Gamecocks0197
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 5500
Gamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot material

This is a the football section, so I'll only talk about football for that reason, and for the sake of time.

College football is one big cycle. Teams hit highs and then hit lows. It keeps going. Clemson - even though many fans may deny it - won't have Dabo forever and that program will eventually return back down from the mountain. The same can be said for Alabama. Some day, Ohio State won't be who they are. And so on.

On the flip side, we'll be back. We're already showing signs. Texas is getting there. Florida surely will. UGA was kinda in no man's land for a while, and look at them now.

I won't give a timetable for when we'll finally beat Clemson because college football is so unpredictable. UGA went from Liberty Bowl champions to a few plays away from National Champions. Hell, we went from 9 losses to 9 wins in just two years.

It'll happen eventually, but fans need to be patient. That's tough cause sports fans are the most impatient people in the world, but it's what it takes. Muschamp is building a program he wants and is looking at things long term. We have a dedicated staff and administration.

This kind of stuff just doesn't happen overnight. Plus in my opinion, focus on the little details and the SEC wins will come. We've seen some of that already. After that, the Clemson game takes care of itself.
Old 03-06-2018, 03:21 AM   #9
Cockhornleghorn
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1234631605329
Cockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legalman72 View Post
This thread is about the three main men's sports: Football, Basketball, Baseball

It goes without saying that the current period in these 3 sports, versus our rival, isn't good.

In football, they're at an all-time high. Tough spot for us, and for anyone else not named Bama or maybe UGA,

In basketball, we might have a leg up but it hasn't consistently shown head-to-head in the Martin era.

In baseball, we had the upper hand but have lost it. Monte Lee is an excellent coach but we have better recent tradition.

There are myriad reasons, I know. Each sport has had defections, suspensions, laziness, etc. That noted, will we ever be able to sustain success against them in these three sports? If so, will our current efforts be enough, or will it take something more? Our rival seems to go all out in order to win, right down to marketing, atmosphere, media control, etc.

Do we do enough? Can we do more? Is being in Columbia a positive, or a hindrance?

(I'm sure some will be rankled by this post. It seems this type of discussion is taboo, etc. That's fine, flame me if you want. I'm hoping for rational discussion. Not sure it will do any good, but I do believe success in all three of these sports can be sustained. And I guess I define that as 60-65% winning percentage going forward. Perhaps others define it differently. Thanks.)
Nationally, women's basketball is a bigger sport than baseball, so the answer is yes. We can do it in men's basketball and baseball, too, but history tells us that it will be tougher in football.
Old 03-06-2018, 11:04 AM   #10
CockySpaniel
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 4400000261
CockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot material

Not unless some one is willing to open a corrupt church "charity"
Old 03-06-2018, 11:57 AM   #11
USCBASEBALL1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 311755
USCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot material

Football will be fine. Not on Clemsons level but not many teams are. I do think we will catch them talent wise within the next two years.

Baseball. Give Kingston some time to get his players in. Holbrooks recruited Hot Dogs. His type of players are the Travel glamour boys. Kingston will recruit grown men with power which is something we are missing.

Basketball all hinges on one thing. The SC 2019 Class. If Martin is unable to land 2 or 3 of these guys instate then I think he is done at SC. We cannot sustain success with castoffs, projects, second tier type talent. The SEC is becoming a elite Basketball Conference and if our recruiting does not improve drastically then the F4 run was no more than a flash in the pan. Go back and look at some of the Teams to make a F4 - Teams that made it only to disappear forever. I hope that does not define our Program. I think the F4 run has some blind to a glaring recruiting problem for SC Basketball. This has to improve immediately.
USCBASEBALL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 12:19 PM   #12
CockNJersey
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 5533
CockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocks0197 View Post
This is a the football section, so I'll only talk about football for that reason, and for the sake of time.

College football is one big cycle. Teams hit highs and then hit lows. It keeps going. Clemson - even though many fans may deny it - won't have Dabo forever and that program will eventually return back down from the mountain. The same can be said for Alabama. Some day, Ohio State won't be who they are. And so on.

On the flip side, we'll be back. We're already showing signs. Texas is getting there. Florida surely will. UGA was kinda in no man's land for a while, and look at them now.

I won't give a timetable for when we'll finally beat Clemson because college football is so unpredictable. UGA went from Liberty Bowl champions to a few plays away from National Champions. Hell, we went from 9 losses to 9 wins in just two years.

It'll happen eventually, but fans need to be patient. That's tough cause sports fans are the most impatient people in the world, but it's what it takes. Muschamp is building a program he wants and is looking at things long term. We have a dedicated staff and administration.

This kind of stuff just doesn't happen overnight. Plus in my opinion, focus on the little details and the SEC wins will come. We've seen some of that already. After that, the Clemson game takes care of itself.
Success for us in football has not been cyclical. We were more or less a straight line of mediocrity for 100+ years, then had 4 very good years.
CockNJersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 01:08 PM   #13
TKE226
Damn Yankee

Male

CockyCash: 1343234
TKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot material

If you ask the coaches, playing Clemson is one or maybe three? (baseball) games in a season so is it that important to them, or moreso for fans? Losing to Clemson in the regular season does not impede our way to any NC in those sports.
TKE226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 01:09 PM   #14
Gamecocks0197
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 5500
Gamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockNJersey View Post
Success for us in football has not been cyclical. We were more or less a straight line of mediocrity for 100+ years, then had 4 very good years.
I mean in general.
Old 03-06-2018, 01:28 PM   #15
garnet&black1998rn
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 800
garnet&black1998rn is USC mascot materialgarnet&black1998rn is USC mascot materialgarnet&black1998rn is USC mascot materialgarnet&black1998rn is USC mascot materialgarnet&black1998rn is USC mascot materialgarnet&black1998rn is USC mascot materialgarnet&black1998rn is USC mascot materialgarnet&black1998rn is USC mascot materialgarnet&black1998rn is USC mascot materialgarnet&black1998rn is USC mascot materialgarnet&black1998rn is USC mascot material

Nope, we should just all cash in our USC cards and pull for someone else. We can never be better than those to the north and west and south of us. We should just become an intramural college powerhouse so noone gets their feelings hurt anymore . How's that sound to everyone?
Old 03-06-2018, 01:47 PM   #16
CoverTwo
If C2 doesn't trust you..

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

It comes down to recruiting. Our big 3 sports teams need to ratchet it up on the trail. I think Muschamp and Kingston will get the job done. Martin on the other hand is a big wait and see.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 03:05 PM   #17
wincocks84
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 5775
wincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot material

Regarding football it is possible, but Spurrier's slacking put us behind tremendously. It wouldn't absolutely shock me if we do not beat Clemson again until Dabo leaves. UGA is a beast now, and we will be fortunate to beat them as well. I think our chances are better with them than Clemson though. Give me more wins over UGA any day. They should be our primary focus imo.
wincocks84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 11:12 PM   #18
ol yard buzzard
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
ol yard buzzard has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
It comes down to recruiting. Our big 3 sports teams need to ratchet it up on the trail. I think Muschamp and Kingston will get the job done. Martin on the other hand is a big wait and see.
This times 1,000 !!!

ol yard buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 11:43 PM   #19
sflgc
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 230
sflgc has developed his gaff and talonssflgc has developed his gaff and talonssflgc has developed his gaff and talonssflgc has developed his gaff and talonssflgc has developed his gaff and talonssflgc has developed his gaff and talonssflgc has developed his gaff and talonssflgc has developed his gaff and talonssflgc has developed his gaff and talonssflgc has developed his gaff and talonssflgc has developed his gaff and talons

How much you got? What percentage are you willing to invest? Who do you know and how determined is your group? How effectively can you cover the trail? Put up or shut up.
sflgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 12:36 AM   #20
AndersonCock
Two Deep

Male

AndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot material

With as much money as Carolina athletics generate there’s no reason for our teams to be crappy ever.... at least 5th or better in the conference every year.
AndersonCock is offline   Reply With Quote