CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
FurmanCock
Master Bedroom
thekob
Spur's Addiction
TastyLicks
Ironfan
Blitzkrieg
MountainCock
CockNJersey
ShutTheSuccop
In-game adjustments, (410)
G-League offering $1 (359)
JBJ is the ALCS MVP (244)
The Sound of Starbuc (170)
Doing Something Stup (144)
Tennessee tickets (37)
Convince me these are all
In-game adjustments, conf
UGA Dropping 4 Star Playe
2019 Commitment - Ryan Hi
CFB Film Room Drop Rates
2019 WBB - HoopGurlz (ESP
How Good Can Frank's Team
2018 Signee - Tyquan John
2019 - Shilo Sanders
Donta Scott

Old 03-07-2018, 12:23 AM   #21
Superadiabatic
Resident Meteorologist

Male

CockyCash: 400
Superadiabatic rules the CockPitSuperadiabatic rules the CockPitSuperadiabatic rules the CockPitSuperadiabatic rules the CockPitSuperadiabatic rules the CockPitSuperadiabatic rules the CockPitSuperadiabatic rules the CockPitSuperadiabatic rules the CockPitSuperadiabatic rules the CockPitSuperadiabatic rules the CockPitSuperadiabatic rules the CockPit
Default Re: Is it possible to sustain success against our rival?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincocks84 View Post
Regarding football it is possible, but Spurrier's slacking put us behind tremendously. It wouldn't absolutely shock me if we do not beat Clemson again until Dabo leaves. UGA is a beast now, and we will be fortunate to beat them as well. I think our chances are better with them than Clemson though. Give me more wins over UGA any day. They should be our primary focus imo.
WRT Dabo, I think it will be the other way around in the end. I believe part of why the ugly orange from the Upstate has been so good for a while was the lack of effort from our previous coaching staff. That gravy train is coming to an end for them. Plus I think our coaching staff knows how to do more with less. That will catch the attention of bigger name talent before long. Watch out for us when that happens. Dabo has had a nice streak, but we're due for an upset and I think we'll have a shot at that this year. And it could be the start of a streak for us. The pendulum is swinging back our way.

As for UGA ... haven't they lost a bunch of talent to graduation? I'm not all that knowledgeable about about them, perhaps I'm wrong. Assuming I'm right, sure, they'll reload, but this past year was their shot at the big time for while and they're more down to our level while we're trending up.

Sure, in the whole scheme of things, beating UGA and the rest of the SEC is the most important thing and if we're going to teach to a test, teach to that one. But, beating Clemson is of great importance as well for many reasons ... psychological, for recruiting, and for the general happiness of the fan base. It was a very happy time for us when the tables were reversed 5 years ago. There's no denying they're a SEC caliber team most years and I don't see anything wrong with giving it the level of importance we give our conference opponents.

Superadiabatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 08:44 AM   #22
Blackland
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 4200
Blackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot material

The taters have an average state college located in the middle of nowhere, but somehow they are pulling in top talent from all over the country. Given their history you have to ask how are they doing this? So, are we willing to do the things that taters do to win? I hope not.
Old 03-07-2018, 11:49 AM   #23
bcgibson75
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 5450
bcgibson75 is USC mascot materialbcgibson75 is USC mascot materialbcgibson75 is USC mascot materialbcgibson75 is USC mascot materialbcgibson75 is USC mascot materialbcgibson75 is USC mascot materialbcgibson75 is USC mascot materialbcgibson75 is USC mascot materialbcgibson75 is USC mascot materialbcgibson75 is USC mascot materialbcgibson75 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
Martin on the other hand is a big wait and see.
If we're being honest...Martin is a Bobby Knight 'fire & brimstone' kind of coach (minus the physical abuse to his players and off court antics).

That era is over, and Martin is still a relic of that time/type of coaching.

Most...most Blue Chip HS recruits do not want to play for a coach who constantly yells, death stares at his guys & act the fool on the court in front of said player's friends & family.

Intensity is no excuse...and unless Martin makes even more of a change of his on court demeanor, he'll miss on a lot of big time players...in-state or not.

Football = still too early to tell...just have to beat UGA or Clemson to '18 to end some bad streaks
Baseball = way too early to tell...just make the NCAAs each year and that will show improvement from Holbrook

GO COCKS!!
Old 03-07-2018, 02:02 PM   #24
Roosterboy
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

It is cyclical...a few years ago Clemson could not beat USC in anything....now it is on the other foot. It will go back at some point.....just have to ride it out.

for Football, if this team starts competing in the SEC again, the Clemson game will take care of itself.

Basketball....last two years have been flukes...no Sin two years ago, and Clemson just has a solid team this year with transfers (though many wanted Brownell fired at this point last year).

Baseball....may take longer with how Monte recruits and the overall Kingston is trying to do.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 02:06 PM   #25
Roosterboy
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superadiabatic View Post
WRT Dabo, I think it will be the other way around in the end. I believe part of why the ugly orange from the Upstate has been so good for a while was the lack of effort from our previous coaching staff. That gravy train is coming to an end for them. Plus I think our coaching staff knows how to do more with less. That will catch the attention of bigger name talent before long. Watch out for us when that happens. Dabo has had a nice streak, but we're due for an upset and I think we'll have a shot at that this year. And it could be the start of a streak for us. The pendulum is swinging back our way.

As for UGA ... haven't they lost a bunch of talent to graduation? I'm not all that knowledgeable about about them, perhaps I'm wrong. Assuming I'm right, sure, they'll reload, but this past year was their shot at the big time for while and they're more down to our level while we're trending up.

Sure, in the whole scheme of things, beating UGA and the rest of the SEC is the most important thing and if we're going to teach to a test, teach to that one. But, beating Clemson is of great importance as well for many reasons ... psychological, for recruiting, and for the general happiness of the fan base. It was a very happy time for us when the tables were reversed 5 years ago. There's no denying they're a SEC caliber team most years and I don't see anything wrong with giving it the level of importance we give our conference opponents.

What will honestly hurt Clemson is Florida State...if Taggert gets them going, Clemson is done.

Also, I imagine Venables, and both OCs will be up for HC jobs soon. I know they love clemosn....but money talks...and if a job comes up that will pay $3 mil a year to their assistant coach salaries, they would be fools to not take it.

We have seen without the right assistants, Dabo is an average coach (life before Venables). Venables is the key...if/when he leaves, Clemson will drop.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 03:07 PM   #26
CockNJersey
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 5533
CockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot material

At least for football, history tells us we can expect periodic success from time-to-time. But we will never beat them more often than not over any kind of prolonged period. The best we’ve ever done was 9-3-1 over a 13 year stretch...from 1941-1954.
CockNJersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 07:25 PM   #27
GamecockInHell
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 1802785
GamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackland View Post
The taters have an average state college located in the middle of nowhere, but somehow they are pulling in top talent from all over the country. Given their history you have to ask how are they doing this? So, are we willing to do the things that taters do to win? I hope not.
I agree with this about football. Not so sure about baseball and Kingston. I think we will know a little more once we start conference play. I like Martin but I think today's kids are too selfish to play his style.
The bottom line is that we should never lose to the taters in any sport, ever!
GamecockInHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 07:47 PM   #28
PFW79
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 500
PFW79 has developed his gaff and talonsPFW79 has developed his gaff and talonsPFW79 has developed his gaff and talonsPFW79 has developed his gaff and talonsPFW79 has developed his gaff and talonsPFW79 has developed his gaff and talonsPFW79 has developed his gaff and talonsPFW79 has developed his gaff and talonsPFW79 has developed his gaff and talonsPFW79 has developed his gaff and talonsPFW79 has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post
What will honestly hurt Clemson is Florida State...if Taggert gets them going, Clemson is done.

Also, I imagine Venables, and both OCs will be up for HC jobs soon. I know they love clemosn....but money talks...and if a job comes up that will pay $3 mil a year to their assistant coach salaries, they would be fools to not take it.

We have seen without the right assistants, Dabo is an average coach (life before Venables). Venables is the key...if/when he leaves, Clemson will drop.
Agreed. And when Chad Morris finally takes a HC position, Clemson will drop. He's the only reason their offense is doing anything these days.
PFW79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 07:55 PM   #29
CockNJersey
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 5533
CockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFW79 View Post
Agreed. And when Chad Morris finally takes a HC position, Clemson will drop. He's the only reason their offense is doing anything these days.
I'll start with the obvious: Morris hasn't coached at Clemson since 2014. They got better after he left and have experienced their greatest success without him. Awkward...

Anyway.

Y'all are living in a fantasy land if you believe that Clemson's success is some sort of flash in the pan. They are a national power now and we just have to deal with it.

Call Dabo a cheerleader, used car salesman or snake oil salesman or whatever you want. One thing he's proved is that he's a h*ll of a football coach. He's shown impeccable decision-making ability when choosing his assistants. Their recruiting is among the best.

There's nothing about their success that has been a fluke or gimmicky. Not one thing whatsoever.

That said, there's no reason we can't do the same thing.
CockNJersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 08:23 PM   #30
rt3891
ISLAND COCK

Male

CockyCash: 3000
rt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockNJersey View Post
I'll start with the obvious: Morris hasn't coached at Clemson since 2014. They got better after he left and have experienced their greatest success without him. Awkward...

Anyway.

Y'all are living in a fantasy land if you believe that Clemson's success is some sort of flash in the pan. They are a national power now and we just have to deal with it.

Call Dabo a cheerleader, used car salesman or snake oil salesman or whatever you want. One thing he's proved is that he's a h*ll of a football coach. He's shown impeccable decision-making ability when choosing his assistants. Their recruiting is among the best.

There's nothing about their success that has been a fluke or gimmicky. Not one thing whatsoever.

Dabo is not x’s and o’s, never has been nor will be. They had the best player in their history play there after Morris left, he’s the primary reason for the title run. Dabo is smart enough to know exactly what he does not. He hires people like Venables for that. Until the KState coach retires, Venables is put where he is, unfortunately. Their ridiculously soft schedule year after year allows for success for them, also. We don’t have that luxury.

Last edited by rt3891; 03-07-2018 at 08:35 PM..
rt3891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 12:38 AM   #31
PFW79
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 500
PFW79 has developed his gaff and talonsPFW79 has developed his gaff and talonsPFW79 has developed his gaff and talonsPFW79 has developed his gaff and talonsPFW79 has developed his gaff and talonsPFW79 has developed his gaff and talonsPFW79 has developed his gaff and talonsPFW79 has developed his gaff and talonsPFW79 has developed his gaff and talonsPFW79 has developed his gaff and talonsPFW79 has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt3891 View Post
Dabo is not x’s and o’s, never has been nor will be. They had the best player in their history play there after Morris left, he’s the primary reason for the title run. Dabo is smart enough to know exactly what he does not. He hires people like Venables for that. Until the KState coach retires, Venables is put where he is, unfortunately. Their ridiculously soft schedule year after year allows for success for them, also. We don’t have that luxury.
Snyder is grooming his son to take his place. It won't be Venables.

That schedule argument may have been the case in the past, but according to TeamRankings.com, Clemson has had a tougher SOS for the last 4 seasons (even if you remove CFP and ACCCG). Sagarin for the last 3. The weak SEC East and poor cross-divisional opponents have weakened SC's in-conference SOS significantly the last 3 years.
PFW79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 03:16 AM   #32
greatwhitecock
Supports Open Carry

Male

CockyCash: 91443120
greatwhitecock rules the CockPitgreatwhitecock rules the CockPitgreatwhitecock rules the CockPitgreatwhitecock rules the CockPitgreatwhitecock rules the CockPitgreatwhitecock rules the CockPitgreatwhitecock rules the CockPitgreatwhitecock rules the CockPitgreatwhitecock rules the CockPitgreatwhitecock rules the CockPitgreatwhitecock rules the CockPit

[QUOTE=bcgibson75;5160925] a coach who constantly yells, death stares at his guys & act the fool on the court in front of said player's friends & family.

Intensity is no excuse..

GO COCKS!![/QUOTE

Sounds a lot like the guy punching the board I see every time you post
Old 03-08-2018, 03:29 AM   #33
gotrice?
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 20020
gotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to gotrice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFW79 View Post
Snyder is grooming his son to take his place. It won't be Venables.

That schedule argument may have been the case in the past, but according to TeamRankings.com, Clemson has had a tougher SOS for the last 4 seasons (even if you remove CFP and ACCCG). Sagarin for the last 3. The weak SEC East and poor cross-divisional opponents have weakened SC's in-conference SOS significantly the last 3 years.
Snyder wants his son to take his place and is staying an extra year or two to try to get it to happen. Had he stepped down any of the last few years it would have been Venables, still a very good chance it is. Remember Snyder hand picked his last replacement there too and that was a massive failure. I don't think the administration will do what he wants this time around.
gotrice? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 04:20 AM   #34
Three and Out
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 20500
Three and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgibson75 View Post
If we're being honest...Martin is a Bobby Knight 'fire & brimstone' kind of coach (minus the physical abuse to his players and off court antics).

That era is over, and Martin is still a relic of that time/type of coaching.

Most...most Blue Chip HS recruits do not want to play for a coach who constantly yells, death stares at his guys & act the fool on the court in front of said player's friends & family.

Intensity is no excuse...and unless Martin makes even more of a change of his on court demeanor, he'll miss on a lot of big time players...in-state or not.

Football = still too early to tell...just have to beat UGA or Clemson to '18 to end some bad streaks
Baseball = way too early to tell...just make the NCAAs each year and that will show improvement from Holbrook

GO COCKS!!
Three and Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 04:22 AM   #35
Three and Out
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 20500
Three and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockNJersey View Post

Anyway.

Three and Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 08:33 AM   #36
El Chick Sid
J Beck and the Yardbirds

Male

CockyCash: 200
El Chick Sid is crowing loudlyEl Chick Sid is crowing loudlyEl Chick Sid is crowing loudlyEl Chick Sid is crowing loudlyEl Chick Sid is crowing loudlyEl Chick Sid is crowing loudlyEl Chick Sid is crowing loudlyEl Chick Sid is crowing loudlyEl Chick Sid is crowing loudlyEl Chick Sid is crowing loudlyEl Chick Sid is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superadiabatic View Post
Yes they are losing a lot and you can’t replace a Chubb / Michel tandem. You don’t just replace a player like Roguan Smith ... but how can you look at last two year’s recruiting results and seriously make a statement that they are “down to our level”.

One would think that a serious SC fan would call him out on this ... or is this a symptom of prolonged exposure to mediocrity? Georgia may or may not win the SEC next year, make the playoffs, win a playoff game... but to say last year was their shot when their performance exceeded the expectations of the fans, critics and foes is only trying to pacify themselves.
El Chick Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 02:21 PM   #37
PalmettoG27
Kryptonian

Male

CockyCash: 5500
PalmettoG27 is USC mascot materialPalmettoG27 is USC mascot materialPalmettoG27 is USC mascot materialPalmettoG27 is USC mascot materialPalmettoG27 is USC mascot materialPalmettoG27 is USC mascot materialPalmettoG27 is USC mascot materialPalmettoG27 is USC mascot materialPalmettoG27 is USC mascot materialPalmettoG27 is USC mascot materialPalmettoG27 is USC mascot material

At UGA the athletic department will replace a HC/staff at the first sign of complacency. At Carolina a HC can flat out stop recruiting and barley show up to work for years and the AD didn’t seem to even take notice. Clemson also remained focused on recruiting and appointing the best staff to its ranks while Carolina did not and even most of the fan base seemed all good with a 3 win season.

Looks like we are moving in the right direction now though.
PalmettoG27 is offline   Reply With Quote