CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
carolina_corpsman
RGHoskins
TastyLicks
The Yancey
Master Bedroom
ucan'tlickourcocks
sosfan812
TAFC 5 1981
USC65
Blitzkrieg
Sure, it's a long sh (592)
Domesticated Foxes? (284)
Uncharted 4 (121)
GH Recommends: Histo (103)
NCAAF: GEORGIA @ MIS (102)
NFL: JETS @ BROWNS Thu 9/
WBB recruiting summary:
Sure, it's a long shot
WBB: 2019 Aubrey Griffin
2019 - PG Josiah James (M
How Good Can Frank's Team
Remembering Kenny
Influential Pastor steeri
Willy B upgrades to cost
High school football has

Old 03-07-2018, 08:35 AM   #1
CockNJersey
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 5533
CockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot material
Default Disagreeing with Bobby Bentley

Says Williams saw a decreased roll because of inconsistency on game day. The biggest inconsistency I saw was his playing time early in the season. No carries the first game. 14 in the second. None in the third. 13 in the fourth. Etc. I think he mostly performed very well and came away as the teams second leading rusher with very limited carries. He mostly performed well in limited action.

I did not like our run game approach at all last season. Yeah, we have a lot of horses, but you canít give a guy 0 carries in 1 game, then give him 15 in he next, then 0 the next and so on. And we had too much rotation within games. RBs feed off of rhythm. I know weíve got horses but youíve got to go with one and make him the feature back. Several times this last season when we had a back break of 2 or 3 decent runs in a row and get in a rhythm, Bentley would pull him.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.thest...203779134.html
CockNJersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 08:39 AM   #2
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
CockyCash: 20200
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material
Default Re: Disagreeing with Bobby Bentley

I agree with both. I think he was definitely the hot hand early in the season, and the coaches (admittedly) saw that gave him the ball more. Then his production dropped off. On top of that Turner's production increased and Mon Denson started putting together some good runs as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoovecock View Post
I agree with Cack.
cack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 08:46 AM   #3
Cocky8
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
Cocky8 has hatched from the shell

He was productive with the ball last year but struggled in pass protection, which I believe he was punished.
Cocky8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 09:16 AM   #4
GeoCocky66
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 20888
GeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockNJersey View Post
Says Williams saw a decreased roll because of inconsistency on game day. The biggest inconsistency I saw was his playing time early in the season. No carries the first game. 14 in the second. None in the third. 13 in the fourth. Etc. I think he mostly performed very well and came away as the teams second leading rusher with very limited carries. He mostly performed well in limited action.

I did not like our run game approach at all last season. Yeah, we have a lot of horses, but you can’t give a guy 0 carries in 1 game, then give him 15 in he next, then 0 the next and so on. And we had too much rotation within games. RBs feed off of rhythm. I know we’ve got horses but you’ve got to go with one and make him the feature back. Several times this last season when we had a back break of 2 or 3 decent runs in a row and get in a rhythm, Bentley would pull him.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.thest...203779134.html
I hated our haphazard and incoherent approach to the running game last year and hope that things improve under BMac and a more experienced Bentley. Some of the inconsistency seemed to come from issues with the RPO, but I also never understood Roper's unwillingness to run the ball off tackle or outside, where our running game was often much more effective. Again, I believe that those things will improve this year. I did think Ty'son was somewhat inconsistent from game to game, but I agree with your point that there were bigger game management issues that may have contributed to that.

That said, I disagree with the 'pick a back and ride him' approach that you favor. That can work, but most successful teams these days give meaningful carries to at least 2 or 3 backs plus the QB (when you have a DT QB), at least in cases where there's not an extreme dropoff to the 2nd and 3rd backs. Georgia has been the most obvious example, but Alabama's distribution in 2017 was: D. Harris 135 carries, Scarborough 124 carries, N. Harris 61 carries, plus Hurts leading the team with 154 carries. Oklahoma had Anderson and Sermon, while Clemson had Etienne and Feaster (plus Bryant, with far and away the most carries). The difference was that those teams (which feature very different offensive approaches) had a fairly consistent plan for how to utilize their backs, whereas we didn't (or at least I could never identify one). Hopefully that changes, and Ty'son finds a productive role in our new schemes.
GeoCocky66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 09:38 AM   #5
spareparts
Hole in 1

Male

CockyCash: 1000618
spareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot material

spareparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 10:11 AM   #6
Y Formation
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 11840
Y Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot material

Looking forward to seeing them all back.

CBB wants one of the RB's to emerge as a leader on the field and in the meeting room.

Lets hope one or two of them do just that.

Maybe AJ will be that man.
Y Formation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 10:35 AM   #7
Legalman72
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 25000000000
Legalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot material

You obviously don’t understand the nuances of baseball.
Legalman72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 10:44 AM   #8
d20636
Go Cocks!

Male

CockyCash: 400
d20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
Old 03-07-2018, 11:17 AM   #9
92Pony
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 1614744
92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoCocky66 View Post
I hated our haphazard and incoherent approach to the running game last year and hope that things improve under BMac and a more experienced Bentley. Some of the inconsistency seemed to come from issues with the RPO, but I also never understood Roper's unwillingness to run the ball off tackle or outside, where our running game was often much more effective. .......................
I think I heard in CBB's interview - heard him say something about sharing a philosophy with BMac about gaining "yards on the perimeter". I would LOVE to see us take advantage of that more often, when we can.
92Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 11:29 AM   #10
bcgibson75
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 5450
bcgibson75 is USC mascot materialbcgibson75 is USC mascot materialbcgibson75 is USC mascot materialbcgibson75 is USC mascot materialbcgibson75 is USC mascot materialbcgibson75 is USC mascot materialbcgibson75 is USC mascot materialbcgibson75 is USC mascot materialbcgibson75 is USC mascot materialbcgibson75 is USC mascot materialbcgibson75 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y Formation View Post
No no...and no.

Turner, while a tough runner...does NOT have the body to be a every down, running between the tackles RB.

He is quick...but not enough of burner to be exclusive to getting to the edge on design stretch runs.

I've seen Turner get blasted multiple times from LBs and Safeties over the years whether at RB or on Kick Returns.

When he shows me he can consistently deliver a hit...rather than take hit from the defense...then they can make him a feature back.

IMO, Dowdle, Williams, Denson...in that order...should get the bulk of the RB carries.

That said, I do hope Turner contributes to the offense in '18.

GO COCKS!!
Old 03-07-2018, 11:55 AM   #11
Goofyboy
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

In watching all of the action last year, and replaying a lot of it, I saw a few things that were puzzling. I think we way too seldom exploited the perimeter with either runs or swing passes to the backs. Williams showed good speed and one-cut ability, but little yards after contact. He is a fairly big and strong back. I think that issue is coach Bentley's biggest concern. Turner uses amazing leg drive and leverage for his size and runs surprisingly well inside. Dowdle is a terror after contact with a lot of power to go with his cutting ability. All three, plus Denson, have key strengths to add to the game plan. Bentley wants a back to get 2 yards when they need it no matter if the blocking fails. I think that's his key beef with Williams for whom he sees a real upside.
From what I've seen, I like Dowdle and Williams as the early-in-the-game options with more perimeter runs sprinkled with some Turner because he is so versatile. In the later part of the game, I like more Turner against a tired defense, because he can burst straight ahead and take it for a long score. With the injuries we've seen, major and minor, I think we can all see the need to have multiple backs with both ability and experience ready to go at all times.
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 12:42 PM   #12
USCBASEBALL1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 311755
USCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot material

Williams has to learn how to block. More to playing RB than just running the ball. I disagree in Turner not being able to be a primary back. He is the toughest RB on our Roster and has been the most productive. He is not the biggest but he still sticks his nose in their every time he touches the ball. Dowdle is obviously our most talented but appears somewhat injury prone so he is the one that has not been able to hold up.
USCBASEBALL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 12:44 PM   #13
USCBASEBALL1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 311755
USCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyboy View Post
In watching all of the action last year, and replaying a lot of it, I saw a few things that were puzzling. I think we way too seldom exploited the perimeter with either runs or swing passes to the backs. Williams showed good speed and one-cut ability, but little yards after contact. He is a fairly big and strong back. I think that issue is coach Bentley's biggest concern. Turner uses amazing leg drive and leverage for his size and runs surprisingly well inside. Dowdle is a terror after contact with a lot of power to go with his cutting ability. All three, plus Denson, have key strengths to add to the game plan. Bentley wants a back to get 2 yards when they need it no matter if the blocking fails. I think that's his key beef with Williams for whom he sees a real upside.
From what I've seen, I like Dowdle and Williams as the early-in-the-game options with more perimeter runs sprinkled with some Turner because he is so versatile. In the later part of the game, I like more Turner against a tired defense, because he can burst straight ahead and take it for a long score. With the injuries we've seen, major and minor, I think we can all see the need to have multiple backs with both ability and experience ready to go at all times.
We will definitely exploit the whole field this year. We will make Teams defend the entire field vs what we did under Roper. I expect big things from the Offense this year.
USCBASEBALL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 12:51 PM   #14
crowcutta
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 6000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

yes the rotation was perplexing the first 3 games, but the following 4 games he was a regular part of the rotation and was productive. then against vandy and georgia he was awful, 14 touches 17 yards. there were plays to be had or one on ones that he has to win and he didnt. thats what bentley was talking about, he would look great one second then look terrible.
that doesnt make him all that much different from the other backs, but in general carry to carry he wasnt as productive as he should have been.
crowcutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 01:59 PM   #15
Roosterboy
2nd Team All-American

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

I get wanting a guy to emerge...you need a guy when you need a 2-yard run, or a nose for the goal line.

To me, we need two guys to emerge...in today's game, one RB just is not enough...UGA, Bama, even Clemson has found success with a duo of backs....I personally would love to see AJ and Ty'Son emerge...

also, a better split of carries....maybe give AJ, TW and Dowdle some early carries, then ride with whoever has the hot hand that day, and spell them with the other two in situational points....IE don't send one of the bigger backs on an outside run with that is Turner's forte...or don't send Turner up the middle on a power run.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 02:50 PM   #16
CockNJersey
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 5533
CockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoCocky66 View Post
I hated our haphazard and incoherent approach to the running game last year and hope that things improve under BMac and a more experienced Bentley. Some of the inconsistency seemed to come from issues with the RPO, but I also never understood Roper's unwillingness to run the ball off tackle or outside, where our running game was often much more effective. Again, I believe that those things will improve this year. I did think Ty'son was somewhat inconsistent from game to game, but I agree with your point that there were bigger game management issues that may have contributed to that.

That said, I disagree with the 'pick a back and ride him' approach that you favor. That can work, but most successful teams these days give meaningful carries to at least 2 or 3 backs plus the QB (when you have a DT QB), at least in cases where there's not an extreme dropoff to the 2nd and 3rd backs. Georgia has been the most obvious example, but Alabama's distribution in 2017 was: D. Harris 135 carries, Scarborough 124 carries, N. Harris 61 carries, plus Hurts leading the team with 154 carries. Oklahoma had Anderson and Sermon, while Clemson had Etienne and Feaster (plus Bryant, with far and away the most carries). The difference was that those teams (which feature very different offensive approaches) had a fairly consistent plan for how to utilize their backs, whereas we didn't (or at least I could never identify one). Hopefully that changes, and Ty'son finds a productive role in our new schemes.
I still think we have to identify a feature back. That doesn’t mean he gets 90% of the carries, but certainly the majority. The percent of carries was split among UGA’s top 4 backs as follows: 44%, 30%, 16% and 10%. For us on the other hand, it was: 33%, 32%, 22% and 14%. UGA has a good distribution, but with one back clearly getting the most carries. When I look at their distribution, I see strategy. When I look at ours, I see indecision. If you look at just the top 2 backs, for UGA Chubb got about 60% of the carries. For us, it was a statistical tie at 50% each.

We can’t use the excuse that we have too many good backs. Nobody is more loaded than UGA, but they found a way to get a good distribution.
CockNJersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 03:06 PM   #17
Goofyboy
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgibson75 View Post
No no...and no.

Turner, while a tough runner...does NOT have the body to be a every down, running between the tackles RB.

He is quick...but not enough of burner to be exclusive to getting to the edge on design stretch runs.

I've seen Turner get blasted multiple times from LBs and Safeties over the years whether at RB or on Kick Returns.

When he shows me he can consistently deliver a hit...rather than take hit from the defense...then they can make him a feature back.

IMO, Dowdle, Williams, Denson...in that order...should get the bulk of the RB carries.

GO COCKS!!
Your comment seems to reflect usual thinking, but ignore the evidence. Turner has shown durability and power up the middle in defiance of the size issue. Every back gets stoned sometimes - including Todd Gurley (by undersized Skai Moore 3 years ago). I don't crave seeing any of our backs being 25+ carries guys for their sake and our offense, so I welcome role contributions and relief when helpful. A long history of research and experience has shown fatigue as an open door for injury.
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 03:08 PM   #18
Absfract
World Traveler

Male

CockyCash: 3000
Absfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPit

I definitely agree that they need to stop using Turner on those 3rd down and short situations near the goal line... that's what just stupid IMHO. Having said that, he's a perfect back for downs where they aren't stacking the short gain in the middle since he's so versatile. He runs hard up the middle when it is needed and can hit the edge with great speed.
Absfract is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 03:14 PM   #19
GeoCocky66
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 20888
GeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockNJersey View Post
I still think we have to identify a feature back. That doesnít mean he gets 90% of the carries, but certainly the majority. The percent of carries was split among UGAís top 4 backs as follows: 44%, 30%, 16% and 10%. For us on the other hand, it was: 33%, 32%, 22% and 14%. UGA has a good distribution, but with one back clearly getting the most carries. When I look at their distribution, I see strategy. When I look at ours, I see indecision. If you look at just the top 2 backs, for UGA Chubb got about 60% of the carries. For us, it was a statistical tie at 50% each.

We canít use the excuse that we have too many good backs. Nobody is more loaded than UGA, but they found a way to get a good distribution.
I can't disagree with much of this because it's in line with what I said in my previous post. I would only add that our distribution (and our identification of a feature back) might well have looked different had Rico been healthy last year.
GeoCocky66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 05:59 PM   #20
Y Formation
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 11840
Y Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y Formation View Post
Looking forward to seeing them all back.

CBB wants one of the RB's to emerge as a leader on the field and in the meeting room.

Lets hope one or two of them do just that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgibson75 View Post
No no...and no.

GO COCKS!!
This was coming from Bentley. AJ is the players favorite. He works hard on and off the field. This is what CBB was talking about, a RB that leads by example.
Y Formation is offline   Reply With Quote