CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
carolina_corpsman
Spur's Addiction
TastyLicks
FurmanCock
Captain9Dragons
SanAntonioCock
Blitzkrieg
Order 66
rt3891
etowngangsta
In-game adjustments, (829)
Doing Something Stup (492)
Exhibition game vs A (208)
Florida calls for Sp (187)
In-game adjustments, conf
2019 - Shilo Sanders
Bentley or Scarnecchia ?
2019 WBB - HoopGurlz (ESP
High school football has
what happened to Frankís
Exhibition game vs August
JBJ is the ALCS MVP
vBookie Request: Post Req
Zion Williamson pay to pl

Old 03-09-2018, 11:01 AM   #41
Nureye
White helmets rule

Male

CockyCash: 6465
Nureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot material
Default Re: Football ticket price increase

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_corpsman View Post
Raising ticket prices the same year you screw everybody over with parking is not a good move, just my opinion.

Raising the ticket prices when you can't even sell out half of the upper deck is not a good decision, again just my opinion.

The lower east bathrooms are disgusting, not opinion, fact.

I would have no problem with the increase if it was going to fixing the bathrooms or getting better concessions.
Screwed EVERYBODY over with parking? (Seems a little dramatic, No?)

I don't sit on the east side because those are the sun seats. Bathrooms have always been an issue over there. Nothing has changed. Maybe switch your seats? The west side is where its' at.

I don't eat concessions at games. That's what tailgates are for. But concessions have always been an issue. And that's not gonna change when you have high school kids running the show.

Either way, I'm happy to pay a little more for my, apparently, superior experience to that of what happens on the east side. And happy to pay $7 a ticket more.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:05 AM   #42
carolina_corpsman
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 10500
carolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nureye View Post
Screwed EVERYBODY over with parking? (Seems a little dramatic, No?)

I don't sit on the east side because those are the sun seats. Bathrooms have always been an issue over there. Nothing has changed. Maybe switch your seats? The west side is where its' at.

I don't eat concessions at games. That's what tailgates are for. But concessions have always been an issue.

Either way, I'm happy to pay a little more for my, apparently, superior experience to that of what happens on the east side. And happy to pay $7 a ticket more.
With the new selection for parking it's hard not to think most people will end up in worse spots than they are now.

Apparently the bathrooms are an issue everywhere, if you recall the plumbing malfunction for the KY game. Talk about an embarrassment.

Again, if they are not selling out the stadium, it doesn't make much sense to raise the cost, generally you would think doing the opposite would result in more sales.

I don't really mind paying more, I just want to know when they are going to address the big issues inside the stadium that everybody admits are problems.
carolina_corpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 11:05 AM   #43
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

CockyCash: 1000500
USCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot material
Send a message via MSN to USCBatgirl21

Quote:
Screwed over for parking? (Seems a little dramatic, No?)
Not really. Why should those that opted to stay in the Fairgrounds and have very good parking as a result (like we do on Row 2) be moved (essentially punished) because people lost their parking in Gamecock Park because of construction? And what did they do with those people this past season? Was construction not going on then? We Fairgrounds people are pretty ticked that we're going to lose our parking because of this. The parking issue, on top of the proposed changes to the East Club and getting priced out of tickets that we've had over 30 years, people being irritated is not surprising.
USCBatgirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 11:10 AM   #44
carolina_corpsman
1st Team All-American

Male

carolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCBatgirl21 View Post
Not really. Why should those that opted to stay in the Fairgrounds and have very good parking as a result (like we do on Row 2) be moved (essentially punished) because people lost their parking in Gamecock Park because of construction? And what did they do with those people this past season? Was construction not going on then? We Fairgrounds people are pretty ticked that we're going to lose our parking because of this. The parking issue, on top of the proposed changes to the East Club and getting priced out of tickets that we've had over 30 years, people being irritated is not surprising.
Yup. As for the parking, I expect everybody in the fairgrounds will get shifted back, hopefully not by too much.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:13 AM   #45
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

USCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Yup. As for the parking, I expect everybody in the fairgrounds will get shifted back, hopefully not by too much.
Or here's an idea...take away the gameday parking in Gamecock Park and make it all reserved to make up for those spots that were "lost" due to construction. Isn't that basically what they did last year?

Moving the Fairgrounds around sucks because over this time, we've developed friendships with those around us, plan tailgates weekly together, and now all that has the potential to be gone.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:16 AM   #46
carolina_corpsman
1st Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Or here's an idea...take away the gameday parking in Gamecock Park and make it all reserved to make up for those spots that were "lost" due to construction. Isn't that basically what they did last year?

Moving the Fairgrounds around sucks because over this time, we've developed friendships with those around us, plan tailgates weekly together, and now all that has the potential to be gone.
That would make more sense, which is why they won't actually do it. I have been slowly working my way closer to the stadium, now I suspect I will get bumped back to where I started. Oh well.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:37 AM   #47
highpockets12
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 264
highpockets12 has earned his spurshighpockets12 has earned his spurshighpockets12 has earned his spurshighpockets12 has earned his spurshighpockets12 has earned his spurshighpockets12 has earned his spurs

ever one wants better coaches,facilities .It cost money. Lots of it. I agree the ticket prices lowered would fill seats
highpockets12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 11:54 AM   #48
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

Quote:
Originally Posted by highpockets12 View Post
ever one wants better coaches,facilities .It cost money. Lots of it. I agree the ticket prices lowered would fill seats
Have they said what they are doing with the $40 Million they just received from the SEC?

http://www.thestate.com/sports/colle...197898904.html
Old 03-09-2018, 12:50 PM   #49
tcmac08
Three-toed sloth

Male

CockyCash: 200
tcmac08 is USC mascot materialtcmac08 is USC mascot materialtcmac08 is USC mascot materialtcmac08 is USC mascot materialtcmac08 is USC mascot materialtcmac08 is USC mascot materialtcmac08 is USC mascot materialtcmac08 is USC mascot materialtcmac08 is USC mascot materialtcmac08 is USC mascot materialtcmac08 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Have they said what they are doing with the $40 Million they just received from the SEC?

http://www.thestate.com/sports/colle...197898904.html

Same thing they do every year when they get their SEC checks-pay operating expenses for all the athletic teams, pay administrative costs, give some back to the university, pay bonds, etc..... That money is one of the reason Carolina's athletic program is self sustaining. They do not have to rely on the University to pay their bills. A big reason is the SEC payout.
tcmac08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 01:09 PM   #50
Dizzy01
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 10900
Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

It costs a lot of money to build a recording studio.
Dizzy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 01:20 PM   #51
bcgibson75
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 5450
bcgibson75 is USC mascot materialbcgibson75 is USC mascot materialbcgibson75 is USC mascot materialbcgibson75 is USC mascot materialbcgibson75 is USC mascot materialbcgibson75 is USC mascot materialbcgibson75 is USC mascot materialbcgibson75 is USC mascot materialbcgibson75 is USC mascot materialbcgibson75 is USC mascot materialbcgibson75 is USC mascot material

Tanner should've probably waited a year on this increase...

A lot easier to ask us season ticket holders for more $$$ after a 10 win or more season, or having a really significant win to prop up next to Ray holding out the offering plate.

He is essentially asking for more money WITHOUT these checklist items:

- 3 straight L's to UGA
- 4 straight L's to Clemson
- no double digit winning season since 2013
- no announced renovations/start date for East Club or Restrooms at W-B for '18

Tanner is publicly putting out the message that he wants Donors to put more & more equity in attending to football games.

His ideal Donor model is essentially putting a larger % of season tickets in the hands of local businesses and/or companies who can afford to expense these items as business development for their clients.

Just like it started under Eric Hyman, the individual or family season ticket holder at W-B are slowly, but surely, getting priced or squeezed out.

GO COCKS!!
Old 03-09-2018, 01:37 PM   #52
tcmac08
Three-toed sloth

Male

CockyCash: 200
tcmac08 is USC mascot materialtcmac08 is USC mascot materialtcmac08 is USC mascot materialtcmac08 is USC mascot materialtcmac08 is USC mascot materialtcmac08 is USC mascot materialtcmac08 is USC mascot materialtcmac08 is USC mascot materialtcmac08 is USC mascot materialtcmac08 is USC mascot materialtcmac08 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgibson75 View Post
Tanner should've probably waited a year on this increase...

A lot easier to ask us season ticket holders for more $$$ after a 10 win or more season, or having a really significant win to prop up next to Ray holding out the offering plate.

He is essentially asking for more money WITHOUT these checklist items:

- 3 straight L's to UGA
- 4 straight L's to Clemson
- no double digit winning season since 2013
- no announced renovations/start date for East Club or Restrooms at W-B for '18

Tanner is publicly putting out the message that he wants Donors to put more & more equity in attending to football games.

His ideal Donor model is essentially putting a larger % of season tickets in the hands of local businesses and/or companies who can afford to expense these items as business development for their clients.

Just like it started under Eric Hyman, the individual or family season ticket holder at W-B are slowly, but surely, getting priced or squeezed out.

GO COCKS!!

Ticket prices eventually go up. There really is no way to avoid this in today's athletic climate. Coming off a 9-win season with prospects for a better next season is actually an ideal time to raise prices. We do not know what Carolina record will be next season. They could go to hell and only win six. Attendance will trail off as the losing gets worse. This would occur regardless of ticket costs, so the increase will help alleviate budget shortfalls a bit. It would also be that much harder to justify a ticket increase for the next season.
However, Carolina could also have a season for the ages and go undefeated. This will bring fans to the stadium as the winning increases and Carolina will see an increased budget surplus because of the increased ticket price.
There is never a perfect time to increase ticket prices, but doing it before an anticipated good to great season is a lot better timing then doing it after a very disappointing season.
tcmac08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 01:42 PM   #53
gAmkok
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 4000
gAmkok is USC mascot materialgAmkok is USC mascot materialgAmkok is USC mascot materialgAmkok is USC mascot materialgAmkok is USC mascot materialgAmkok is USC mascot materialgAmkok is USC mascot materialgAmkok is USC mascot materialgAmkok is USC mascot materialgAmkok is USC mascot materialgAmkok is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackGarcia View Post
It's not even that, it's the gameday experience.

Unless you're in club level or pay for premium seating like the zone, you've got to tolerate the environment for the game, not enjoy it. I mean, I still have to pay just to have the cushion seat things stuck on my bleacher seat to keep people from spilling over--and I'm a full scholarship donor with lower level seating near the 40. I get the luxury of running down and navigating the masses to stand in line to get a chick-fil-a sandwich and an overpriced coke--which later I'll have to stand in line at a urinal where it seems like half the dudes haven't mastered not pissing on themselves.

It's still a lot of fun, but again, it's also fun to have people at your home and watch the game on a 60+ inch TV with beer and bbq. Today, if it wasn't for tailgating and my kids enjoying it, I wouldn't be going anymore.

Frankly, what I really think they should do is cut the seat back. Drop the capacity to 70k, make the entire thing more comfortable, improve the concessions, put a few actual restaurants or something in like major league ball parks, and send more concession guys around.
This is exactly right. I've been hoping for a while that they'd embark on some sort of renovation plan for the stands and common areas for the regular fans. I don't think they will - at least not until revenue drops and they become "desperate."
gAmkok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 01:54 PM   #54
gAmkok
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

gAmkok is USC mascot materialgAmkok is USC mascot materialgAmkok is USC mascot materialgAmkok is USC mascot materialgAmkok is USC mascot materialgAmkok is USC mascot materialgAmkok is USC mascot materialgAmkok is USC mascot materialgAmkok is USC mascot materialgAmkok is USC mascot materialgAmkok is USC mascot material

To the point of ticket prices being raised and an anticipated drop in attendance... It's not about attendance and it never was (or will be). It's only about money and maximizing spendable revenues.

10 people paying $10 yields $100.
5 people paying $20 yields $100 too.
But it costs less to accommodate half the people.

Same with concessions:
Sell 10 cokes at $2 apiece = $20
Sell 5 cokes at $4 apiece = $20
Same revenue for half the cost.

When the balance sheet starts to bleed then they'll do something to try drawing more fans, but it probably won't happen for quite a while.
Old 03-09-2018, 03:31 PM   #55
Gamecocks0197
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 5500
Gamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot material

Quote:
It's great outside, I don't think anybody is questioning that. The issue some people have, myself included, is when do we see some of this money improving the experience inside the stadium for the average fans who don't have box seats?
The school's biggest competitor is 65 inch flat screen TVs and a heated/cooled living room. They are constantly having to convince people that it's worth the money to buy tickets, park, get concessions, etc. They can do this by sprucing up the luxury areas because the people who sit there bring in the most money. The top 3% can make up for it. If they do that, they can compete with your 65 inch flat screen and the refrigerador filled with your food and your beer.

It's some bullshit, yeah, but it's part of the business. And that's what college football is: a business.
Old 03-09-2018, 06:03 PM   #56
carolina_corpsman
1st Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocks0197 View Post
The school's biggest competitor is 65 inch flat screen TVs and a heated/cooled living room. They are constantly having to convince people that it's worth the money to buy tickets, park, get concessions, etc. They can do this by sprucing up the luxury areas because the people who sit there bring in the most money. The top 3% can make up for it. If they do that, they can compete with your 65 inch flat screen and the refrigerador filled with your food and your beer.

It's some bullshit, yeah, but it's part of the business. And that's what college football is: a business.
For the price of season tickets, you could buy a projector and screen.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Old 03-09-2018, 07:34 PM   #57
wincocks84
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 5775
wincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot material

Not a good move, but I think filling stadiums are going to become harder in general as the years go by. Many people just don't care to sit in a stadium and watch football anymore. It's hot as hell, the bathrooms are abysmal, and it costs ALOT. I bet you will see colleges deconstructing their stadiums for smaller venues in the near future. Then, they can focus on premium seating, better gameday expeirences, etc.
wincocks84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 09:26 PM   #58
SC Sandlapper
Mr. 10,000

Male

CockyCash: 9650
SC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot material

Quote:
They have done a TON to increase gameday experience for the fan. Look at all of the new upgrades around the stadium.

The tax deduction has nothing to do with Tanner or USC at all. They didn't implement it. So, consider that the next time you vote.
Obviously the university isnít responsible for the tax law but that doesnít mean they should be oblivious to it. They have hinted at possible changes in response to the law but havenít announced it, and itís a safe bet that season ticket holders will just have to take the hit, which will be a big one. Ticket price increase is just damn bad timing.

The landscaping is great but itís something fans walk past for 5 minutes on the way to spend 3-4 hours in a very uncomfortable stadium. The video board is the most significant upgrade to the game experience.
SC Sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 10:59 PM   #59
atrain3067
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 825000
atrain3067 is USC mascot materialatrain3067 is USC mascot materialatrain3067 is USC mascot materialatrain3067 is USC mascot materialatrain3067 is USC mascot materialatrain3067 is USC mascot materialatrain3067 is USC mascot materialatrain3067 is USC mascot materialatrain3067 is USC mascot materialatrain3067 is USC mascot materialatrain3067 is USC mascot material

$50 more per season ticket? There shouldnít be this big a stink up over such a small increase. USCís football ticket prices are still extremely reasonable when compared to the rest of the SEC.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:06 PM   #60
gAmkok
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Sandlapper View Post
Obviously the university isn’t responsible for the tax law but that doesn’t mean they should be oblivious to it. They have hinted at possible changes in response to the law but haven’t announced it, and it’s a safe bet that season ticket holders will just have to take the hit, which will be a big one. Ticket price increase is just damn bad timing.

The landscaping is great but it’s something fans walk past for 5 minutes on the way to spend 3-4 hours in a very uncomfortable stadium. The video board is the most significant upgrade to the game experience.
The upgrades that have been done so far are ones that either a) might show up or be talked about on tv (landscaping and exterior beautification), or b) are apparent to recruits (video board). Nothing that's been done so far has been done explicitly for the fans. In fact, nothing that is solely impactful to the fans (and not visible to recruits/media) has been touched, nor will it be.