CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
thekob
carolina_corpsman
Spur's Addiction
RGHoskins
TastyLicks
sporkgod50
jdaniel
kick_ball
Three and Out
Spurticus
Tennessee HC Job (1677)
Anyone see this? Whi (877)
Clemson Fight Club (704)
Waiver being sought (646)
FAVORITE COMMERCIAL (442)
Florida soccer at Da (261)
Georgia coach Kirby (256)
***2017 World Series (73)
2018 MBB Zion Williamson
***2017 World Series Thre
LA Clippers: Sin in the L
Butch breaks down UT's lo
Discussion: 2018 Recruiti
Tennessee HC Job
Coming down for the REALL
Cack's Toast of the Game
2019 - Ani Izuchukwu
Discussion: 2019 Recruiti

Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 01:18 PM   #61
cockykarma
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
cockykarma is USC mascot materialcockykarma is USC mascot materialcockykarma is USC mascot materialcockykarma is USC mascot materialcockykarma is USC mascot materialcockykarma is USC mascot materialcockykarma is USC mascot materialcockykarma is USC mascot materialcockykarma is USC mascot materialcockykarma is USC mascot materialcockykarma is USC mascot material
Default Re: Any chance Nunez comes back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastCocky View Post
You were suggesting our coaches intentionally throw in the towel last season. To me, that is delusional.
What? Where did I say that? You had to go through some serious mental gymnastics to get that out of what I said.

And those are the two options? Play Bmac or Bentley or it means the coaches are throwing in the towel? I don't live in lifeboats and I don't make decisions based on lifeboat situations.

That is a silly statement, incredibly intellectually dishonest and worse lacking in any semblance of charity when having a discussion about a simple subject.

Stop being so concerned with "winning" the conversation and focus on enjoying the exchange of ideas.
Old 03-16-2017, 01:20 PM   #62
cockykarma
Banned

Male

cockykarma is USC mascot materialcockykarma is USC mascot materialcockykarma is USC mascot materialcockykarma is USC mascot materialcockykarma is USC mascot materialcockykarma is USC mascot materialcockykarma is USC mascot materialcockykarma is USC mascot materialcockykarma is USC mascot materialcockykarma is USC mascot materialcockykarma is USC mascot material

Quote:
but neither Brandon nor Nunez were mistreated.
There are many (including some within the program) that would disagree.

In any case, I think my positions are clear, you disagree and are attached to your position. That's cool. I don't really know if there is anything else to say about it.
Old 03-16-2017, 01:22 PM   #63
CoastCocky
Banned

Female

CoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockykarma View Post
What? Where did I say that? You had to go through some serious mental gymnastics to get that out of what I said.

And those are the two options? Play Bmac or Bentley or it means the coaches are throwing in the towel? I don't live in lifeboats and I don't make decisions based on lifeboat situations.

That is a silly statement, incredibly intellectually dishonest and worse lacking in any semblance of charity when having a discussion about a simple subject.

Stop being so concerned with "winning" the conversation and focus on enjoying the exchange of ideas.
Based on your statement, the only logical outcome would be that Orth be our starting QB. Starting him for the duration of the season would have been tanking it because we had better options (well, option).

We all know it's not ideal to have to start a true freshman, especially in the SEC, but the QB cupboards were bare otherwise. Don't blame Champ for the roster he inherited. I don't think coaches should coach to win today with no consideration for the future, and I don't think that's what Champ has done.

What negatives REALLY came from starting Jake last season? Several games of experience?
Old 03-16-2017, 01:24 PM   #64
CoastCocky
Banned

Female

CoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot material

Quote:
There are many (including some within the program) that would disagree.

In any case, I think my positions are clear, you disagree and are attached to your position. That's cool. I don't really know if there is anything else to say about it.
Mistreated how? Brandon's play did not merit further playing time. No matter the level of competition he was going up against. I like him and all, but he was terrible at QB. Nunez simply had an injury in spring and got passed up on the depth chart. That's how life goes.
Old 03-16-2017, 01:56 PM   #65
cockypastor
Exiled in Hogland

Male

cockypastor has developed his gaff and talonscockypastor has developed his gaff and talonscockypastor has developed his gaff and talonscockypastor has developed his gaff and talonscockypastor has developed his gaff and talonscockypastor has developed his gaff and talonscockypastor has developed his gaff and talonscockypastor has developed his gaff and talonscockypastor has developed his gaff and talonscockypastor has developed his gaff and talonscockypastor has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Still, the difference in coming off of 5 wins and coming off of 6 wins... I think that would be negligible in the recruiting world. No more damage than being STOMPED by Clemson and then losing is a crappy bowl to USF.
There's a huge world of difference in terms of changing the national perception and narrative. Muschamp had to have a splashy year to quell some of the "bad hire" chatter. The long game was not the 2017 recruiting class but 2018. USC is still on Xavier Thomas' radar even with Clemson winning the national title because he is seeing tangible results on the field. A close loss in a crappy bowl game against one of the top offenses in the country is a lot better story than we redshirted our best players, took our lumps, won 3, 4, or 5 games and will only be marginally better next year. Recruits see that they will get every opportunity for immediate playing time, that Muschamp has made a commitment to win and win now, and that he is not afraid to let the best player play.
Old 03-16-2017, 02:08 PM   #66
cockykarma
Banned

Male

Quote:
Based on your statement, the only logical outcome would be that Orth be our starting QB. Starting him for the duration of the season would have been tanking it because we had better options (well, option).

We all know it's not ideal to have to start a true freshman, especially in the SEC, but the QB cupboards were bare otherwise. Don't blame Champ for the roster he inherited. I don't think coaches should coach to win today with no consideration for the future, and I don't think that's what Champ has done.

What negatives REALLY came from starting Jake last season? Several games of experience?
As I said, it's clear we are not going to agree. You are on the Champ can do no wrong train.

The cupboard was not bare. Muschamp was set on Bmac and ultimately Bentley. Which if we were talking year 2, I would be good.

The negatives are that you burned a year of eligibility for what appears to be a good QB... in exchange maybe a win and if I am being generous, 2 wins. You exposed him to injury (luckily, he appears to be tough), you give opponents film to pick up on his tendencies, the loss of a young/inexperienced talented FB and baseball player and one hell of wildcat option at 2nd string QB.

As far as being mistreated, I would have to go into a few areas that I do not want to completely answer this question. So, let me just say that while I admit to making the comment, other than what you can easily find on the internet, I do not wish to back up my comment. You can of course, feel free to completely take that and discredit, clown and or make fun of the comment. That is fine, it won't hurt my feelings.
Old 03-16-2017, 02:13 PM   #67
cockykarma
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockypastor View Post
There's a huge world of difference in terms of changing the national perception and narrative. Muschamp had to have a splashy year to quell some of the "bad hire" chatter. The long game was not the 2017 recruiting class but 2018. USC is still on Xavier Thomas' radar even with Clemson winning the national title because he is seeing tangible results on the field. A close loss in a crappy bowl game against one of the top offenses in the country is a lot better story than we redshirted our best players, took our lumps, won 3, 4, or 5 games and will only be marginally better next year. Recruits see that they will get every opportunity for immediate playing time, that Muschamp has made a commitment to win and win now, and that he is not afraid to let the best player play.
Another way to say this is that Muschamp's character is one in which he is Ok with potentially sacrificing players to save his own ass, egotistical reasons or worse he can't handle the doubters. He was in fact a terrible hire.

Win. Win now. Is a terrible philosophy. It's fly by the seat of your pants. It's overnight popup. It doesn't take the picture as a whole into account.

But, it is so clear that people here can't get past the tribal 'conform" nature. Scared to be critical because of what it says about you. In any case, I am done with this topic. My feelings are clear.
Old 03-16-2017, 02:24 PM   #68
CoastCocky
Banned

Female

Quote:
Another way to say this is that Muschamp's character is one in which he is Ok with potentially sacrificing players to save his own ass, egotistical reasons or worse he can't handle the doubters. He was in fact a terrible hire.

Win. Win now. Is a terrible philosophy. It's fly by the seat of your pants. It's overnight popup. It doesn't take the picture as a whole into account.

But, it is so clear that people here can't get past the tribal 'conform" nature. Scared to be critical because of what it says about you. In any case, I am done with this topic. My feelings are clear.
You are arguing the fact that b/c Jake lost 1/2 season of eligibility, that means Champ was sacrificing players to save his own butt. Really? Getting to a bowl game this season was huge for everyone, not just Champ. The fan based needed it. The coaching staff needed. But, mostly, the team needed it. It gives radically different psychological outlook for the players than if we had eked by with 3 or 4 wins and came into the season with a big fat question mark at QB. If you thinking getting a bowl was only important for Champ, you're missing the point, big team. You can't overestimate the value of the players going into the season knowing they have a competent leader at QB.

Also, you're grossly overestimating the value of both Brandon and Nunez to draw your conclusions.
Old 03-16-2017, 02:32 PM   #69
Flameout12
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Scared to be critical because of what it says about you.
Or wise enough to keep one's mouth shut lest one looks like a cry baby.
Old 03-16-2017, 03:24 PM   #70
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

SHUTTING THIS THREAD DOWN TOO BEFORE SOMEBODY GETS SENT AWAY
FOR A WHILE. THERE'S NO RULES ON THIS SITE THAT SAYS A MEMBER
DOESN'T HAVE THE RIGHT TO STATE THEIR NEGATIVE OPINIONS ABOUT ANY
OF THE PLAYERS, OR COACHES OR OTHER MEMBERS, BUT THERE IS A CLEAR
RULE ON BASHING OUR COACHES OR PLAYERS. I'D BE WELL WITHIN THE
GUIDELINES TO SEND SOMEONE PACKING NOW BUT I'M TRYING TO CUT SOME
BREAKS HERE. CONSIDER IT A WARNING AND A 2ND CHANCE !