CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
carolina_corpsman
6pack
Blitzkrieg
Master Bedroom
Three and Out
SanAntonioCock
GregoryHouse
gotrice?
smoovecock
ccured
Hugh Freeze about to (4157)
Happy Birthday Cover (1177)
Chester Bennington o (586)
Guy Eargle (211)
Freeze out @ old Mi (207)
Women can suffer fro (185)
10 College Football Head
Hugh Freeze about to be f
Discussion: 2018 Recruiti
***The Open Championship*
Holbrook to CofC
Some Nice News On Incomin
Battlefield 1
2018 - Tyquan Johnson
Dozier Signs With the Lak
2018 WBB - HoopGurlz (ESP

Old 03-07-2017, 06:54 PM   #41
gotrice?
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 200
gotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to gotrice?
Default Re: A "successful" season for 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Dilcock View Post
I like the way you think. But the problem in the Clemson game was not the O Line as much as the QB. Bentley was not ready, did not read the D well, and did not get the ball out quick. BMac actually looked better because he throws the ball quicker - Bentley's ability to go through progressions was seen as a strength, but against an attacking D, you have to let go of it.

Having said that, the O Line will be a lot better, with Bailey/Camper/Daley at RT, Hutcherson and Young at LT, and a healthy Stanley, Knott and Helms at the Guard and Center positions, with Park and others helping out.

Beat NC State and we could get on a roll.
We've had the Clemson discussion before but against Clemson the OL got beaten like they stole something. QB performance was not good by any stretch but the OL performance was just ugly.
gotrice? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 12:58 PM   #42
Spurz
Class of 2009

Male

CockyCash: 500
Spurz is USC mascot materialSpurz is USC mascot materialSpurz is USC mascot materialSpurz is USC mascot materialSpurz is USC mascot materialSpurz is USC mascot materialSpurz is USC mascot materialSpurz is USC mascot materialSpurz is USC mascot materialSpurz is USC mascot materialSpurz is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Dilcock View Post
I keep hearing the "schedule is tougher" as a reason to be happy with 6-6. But it ain't tougher and I would not be happy.
Phil Steele made a recent post on ESPN Insider ranking every FBS schedule by difficulty and he rated ours as the fourth toughest, for what it's worth. I don't know if I agree our schedule is THAT hard, but I don't think it's controversial to say it'll be more of a challenge than last year.
Spurz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 02:23 PM   #43
LazerBeak
4-Star

Male

LazerBeak is USC mascot materialLazerBeak is USC mascot materialLazerBeak is USC mascot materialLazerBeak is USC mascot materialLazerBeak is USC mascot materialLazerBeak is USC mascot materialLazerBeak is USC mascot materialLazerBeak is USC mascot materialLazerBeak is USC mascot materialLazerBeak is USC mascot materialLazerBeak is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotrice? View Post
We've had the Clemson discussion before but against Clemson the OL got beaten like they stole something. QB performance was not good by any stretch but the OL performance was just ugly.
true. OL getting pushed 2-3 yds into the backfield on every play is on the OL. That wasn't pretty
LazerBeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 02:25 PM   #44
LazerBeak
4-Star

Male

LazerBeak is USC mascot materialLazerBeak is USC mascot materialLazerBeak is USC mascot materialLazerBeak is USC mascot materialLazerBeak is USC mascot materialLazerBeak is USC mascot materialLazerBeak is USC mascot materialLazerBeak is USC mascot materialLazerBeak is USC mascot materialLazerBeak is USC mascot materialLazerBeak is USC mascot material

theres been quite a few of these now. I'm sticking to my 5-7 to 6-6 reg season until I have reason to change it

So a "successful" season would be above and beyond that. If we steal a game or 2 or just play better than expected
LazerBeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 01:11 PM   #45
NAGamec0ckFan
Proverbs 14:12

Male

CockyCash: 8607
NAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot material

We'd have to go at least 7-5 for me to consider it a successful season.
NAGamec0ckFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 01:38 PM   #46
Gamecocks0197
Blue Chip

Male

Gamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot material

A&M, Arkansas, Tennessee, and Florida are all viewed as toss ups. No one knows what to expect from them this year. To an extent, so is UGA; they have struggled to live up to preseason expectations recently.

I'm still going with 7-5, but 6-6 and 8-4 are also possible. It's really anyone's division at this point.
Old 03-10-2017, 02:39 PM   #47
cockinraleigh
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 78700
cockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot material

9-4 at the least
cockinraleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 03:42 PM   #48
Cockygaming
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 744
Cockygaming is crowing loudlyCockygaming is crowing loudlyCockygaming is crowing loudlyCockygaming is crowing loudlyCockygaming is crowing loudlyCockygaming is crowing loudlyCockygaming is crowing loudlyCockygaming is crowing loudlyCockygaming is crowing loudlyCockygaming is crowing loudlyCockygaming is crowing loudly

7-5 with a good bowl showing. Preferably 8-5 by the end and I'd say it was pretty successful.

With that being said, and I will reiterate this, I have a strange feeling that this season is going to be magical. I don't know why, but I stated that before Spurrier resigned. 16 would be decent and 17 would be magic. Keep in mind, that was before Spurrier retired. May have been nothing but gas, but I told a coworker that.
Cockygaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 05:08 PM   #49
Roosterboy
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Honestly, probably can't judge 2017 solely on record.
The schedule is tough, so don't be shocked if it is another 6-6, or 7-5 type year.

What I look at though is the team in every game...do they play nastier and more physical does the offense have more of a consistent flow instead of being cold two quarters, warm one and red hot one.

If I had to go by record...7-6, win the bowl game.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 05:09 PM   #50
Roosterboy
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockinraleigh View Post
9-4 at the least
Prepare to be disappointed.
This is the mindset that will also make fans call for Muschamp's job if 9-4 is not met this season.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 06:12 PM   #51
Cockygaming
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 744
Cockygaming is crowing loudlyCockygaming is crowing loudlyCockygaming is crowing loudlyCockygaming is crowing loudlyCockygaming is crowing loudlyCockygaming is crowing loudlyCockygaming is crowing loudlyCockygaming is crowing loudlyCockygaming is crowing loudlyCockygaming is crowing loudlyCockygaming is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post
Honestly, probably can't judge 2017 solely on record.
The schedule is tough, so don't be shocked if it is another 6-6, or 7-5 type year.

What I look at though is the team in every game...do they play nastier and more physical does the offense have more of a consistent flow instead of being cold two quarters, warm one and red hot one.

If I had to go by record...7-6, win the bowl game.
Realistically, I could see a 9-4 type scenario. I could also see a much lower record. 9-4 isn't out of the realm of possibility by any means.

I don't believe there is a sure fire loss on our schedule this year. I do believe, however, that there are not nearly as many give mes either.

I tend to think that we will end up 7-5 ish reg season and then maybe end 8-5 after the bowl(but that would depend on who we get put against). This also greatly depends on improvement from the OL.

As far as SEC East teams we play. Vandy got better towards the end of last season, but we have them at home. Vandy gonna Vandy. W

UGA the heralded child that almost never wins the East, could be the front runner for the beginning of the season. I personally don't think Kirby gets it done this year, but it is in Athens. Vandy beat them there and I think we can do. That being said, I don't think we do. I will revise this depending on play from Eason next year. L

UK I really want to pay them back. Their new RB is a stud. Not sure we will this year, but it is at Home. W

UF. The Champ defense there is coming to a close, and McElwain has yet to find a QB or anything that resembles a decent offense. Yes they beat us last year, but it was on the back of the Champ defense. I expect them to slide back this year. W

Missouri... Misery nuff said.(High powered offense, absolutely no defense) W

UTenn Always gives USC fits, and usually hurts a couple of our players doing it. Dobbs is gone. Pretty sure the defensive star is too. Results W

That would be 4 there if it plays out the way I see it.

Of course we have Arkansas and A&M from the West. Those are toss ups. If we lose both that would be 5. If we win 1 that would be 6.

Give us the 2 OOC games as wins (though neither are give mes) and that would be the 7/8.

Without Watson Clemmy is going to regress offensively. That being said, they could be clicking on all cylinders come November. They will definitely be riding their defensive unit early in the season. I am seriously hoping they take a couple of losses before getting it together. This game is at home, and probably our best opportunity to pay them back for last year. Not ready to call this yet, but I will say I think it is a toss up at this moment. (Most likely a L)

This is my realistic 7-5 or 8-4 regular season.

Win the bowl and it could be a 9-4 year in Champs second year. Heck, if we got to 8-4 we might be in the SEC Championship game. Wouldn't that be sweet to be a part of the first ever SEC Championship game in the new Mercedes Benz dome.
Cockygaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 07:22 PM   #52
Gamecocks0197
Blue Chip

Male

Gamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot material

6 wins again would be a minor disappointment, 7 would be successful, 8 would be a pleasant surprise, 9 would be extraordinary. (I am not counting bowl games)
Old 03-11-2017, 12:39 AM   #53
kacrosinsc
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 100200
kacrosinsc is developing his combkacrosinsc is developing his combkacrosinsc is developing his combkacrosinsc is developing his combkacrosinsc is developing his combkacrosinsc is developing his combkacrosinsc is developing his combkacrosinsc is developing his comb

OL will again be a weakness. No reason to think otherwise at this time. DB's are a question mark. DL has shown no ability at all to get a pass rush. Again no reason to think that will change this year until it does. Offensive skill players are our best attribute. Will they have time to get the job done? 7-5 will be welcomed.

We have to recruit some studs on both lines before we will see major improvement.
kacrosinsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 01:05 AM   #54
GoldenSpur7
obscurum per obscurius

Male

CockyCash: 200
GoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocks0197 View Post
I've posted it before so I guess I'll post it again...

NC State: TOSS UP/LEAN USC
Missouri: TOSS UP/SLIGHT LEAN USC
Kentucky: TOSS UP (lost 3 straight)
La Tech: W
Texas A&M: TOSS UP/SLIGHT LEAN A&M
Arkansas: TOSS UP/LEAN WOOPIG
Tennessee: TOSS UP
Vanderbilt: TOSS UP/SLIGHT LEAN USC
Georgia: TOSS UP/LEAN UGA
Florida: TOSS UP /LEAN UF
Wofford: W
Clemson: I gotta see their QB
Adjusted*
Got no time to slow
GoldenSpur7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 10:48 AM   #55
NAGamec0ckFan
Proverbs 14:12

Male

CockyCash: 8607
NAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocks0197 View Post
I've posted it before so I guess I'll post it again...

NC State: Leaning SC
Missouri: W
Kentucky: W
La Tech: W
Texas A&M: Leaning TA&M
Arkansas: Leaning Arky
Tennessee: Leaning SC
Vanderbilt: W
Georgia: Leaning UGA
Florida: Leaning UF
Wofford: W
Clemson: Leaning Clemson
Here's my take. 5 wins at a minimum, hopefully we'll win 2 or 3 of the toss ups but don't know if we have the talent/depth yet.
NAGamec0ckFan is offline   Reply With Quote