CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
smoovecock
Spurticus
kingofnerf
gamecock88
GregoryHouse
Y Formation
Spur's Addiction
Ace Dilcock
SterlingBrooks
cack
Figger, Maybe Gone (1128)
Did Kotsar make bigg (957)
Wall Street Journal (913)
Kentucky Fans Hit A (601)
Athlon Sports - Rank (436)
Did Anyone Cry After (402)
South Carolina spons (323)
Asheville (281)
Real Final Four Roll (274)
Sin is MOP, So Far (271)
Sin is MOP, So Far
The further adventures of
Kentucky Fans Hit A New L
Martin has matured, time
Did Anyone Cry After the
Notice Burned By Gonzaga
South Carolina Basketball
Real Final Four Rollcall
The court is ready in Pho
Frank Martin: "Apath

Old 03-07-2017, 10:37 AM   #1
CoastCocky
Starter

Female

CockyCash: 500
CoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot material
Default Lesson learned from recent QB situation

One thing I learned from the recent QB situation is that we should never, under any circumstances, bring in QBs under 6'1", unless you can run like the absolute devil. If you're going to have a semblance of a passing offense, you simply must have a QB who can see the field well. You've just got to have good field vision and it is immediately apparent when a QB doesn't have it. Aside from the seeing the field better, height opens up more opportunities for throwing angles. A taller QB can throw the ball lower to receivers when necessary, whereas a shorter QB will always have to throw up to get over the line.

Fortunately, Jake is 6'3"-ish and Scar is 6'4" or so. Ulrich is 6'3" and Joyner is 6'3". So it seems we are avoiding making that mistake again.

Here is a good analysis from the NFL and discussion on why height absolutely matter for the passing game. From the NFL, but it's relevance is the same:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...es-size-matter
CoastCocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 10:42 AM   #2
GregoryHouse
Pompous Ass Hillbilly

Male

CockyCash: 53950769
GregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot material
Default Re: Lesson learned from recent QB situation

That was a terrible article you linked.

Though I agree that taller qbs usually are better.

Muschamp believes that recruiting within a five-hour radius of USC, "we can recruit good enough players to win the East every year."
GregoryHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 10:48 AM   #3
Senior Rooster
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 360
Senior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoryHouse View Post

Why terrible???
Old 03-07-2017, 10:50 AM   #4
HHess
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 5617108
HHess is crowing loudlyHHess is crowing loudlyHHess is crowing loudlyHHess is crowing loudlyHHess is crowing loudlyHHess is crowing loudlyHHess is crowing loudlyHHess is crowing loudlyHHess is crowing loudlyHHess is crowing loudlyHHess is crowing loudly

Doug Flutie? Terrible?
Old 03-07-2017, 10:58 AM   #5
smoovecock
Super Moderator

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Homecoming King 
CockyCash: 0
smoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot material

There have been QBs that were 6ft or less and passed the ball effectively. They have to throw in between the holes that lineman make and that is difficult but can be done. Taller QBs seem to have a easier time with the passing game just for the plain fact they can see and pass over the Olines.
Some offensive schemes lends itself to being able to use a smaller QB. In other words offenses that stress QBs running a lot have a chance of success with a QB that is not taller than 6ft.
That said, the offense we are trying to run at this time needs a tall QB that can stand in the pocket and see the field. He does need to have a little get up and go in him but primarily his first job is to distribute the ball to the play makers on offense.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:00 AM   #6
smoovecock
Super Moderator

Male

smoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHess View Post
Doug Flutie? Terrible?
..Totally differnt time in the world...The kids playing these days are much bigger and taller now. I bet BC didnt have too many 6ft 5in offensive linemen back then. Flutie did a wonderful job of passing in the lanes also. That is a hard commodity to find now...
Old 03-07-2017, 11:07 AM   #7
rioninusc
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1000000056
rioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot material

Wonder if these are illegal in football?

Adds at least another foot.
rioninusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 11:13 AM   #8
CockyDevil
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1539
CockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by rioninusc View Post

Would make textbook tackling a lot easier. Wrap the legs.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:13 AM   #9
Goofyboy
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

Height can be a real help, but give me football sense and a commanding field presence over most factors. Happy footed tall quarterbacks can't match a Russell Wilson or a Connor Shaw in my view of a successful offense. Just don't take a mobile quarterback and fit him into an offensive scheme that doesn't use his abilities.
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 11:25 AM   #10
smoovecock
Super Moderator

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyboy View Post
Height can be a real help, but give me football sense and a commanding field presence over most factors. Happy footed tall quarterbacks can't match a Russell Wilson or a Connor Shaw in my view of a successful offense. Just don't take a mobile quarterback and fit him into an offensive scheme that doesn't use his abilities.
..Agreed, but a Shaw or Wilson is hard to come by. They are out there, but man are they hard to find. The kids playing oline and dline are so big now.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:25 AM   #11
smoovecock
Super Moderator

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by rioninusc View Post

....OOOooo...Sky Box....me likey...
Old 03-07-2017, 11:29 AM   #12
CoastCocky
Starter

Female

CoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoryHouse View Post

Not really. The article just broke down some basic QB stats based on QB height and showed a direct correlation. I was mostly interested in the numbers, which don't lie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHess View Post
Doug Flutie? Terrible?
Yes, you do have Doug Flutie and Russel Wilson. That's 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyboy View Post
Shaw was 6'2", so he wouldn't fall under the 6'1" limitation. Shaw was the best of both worlds: tall enough to have good vision and make necessary throws, but very mobile as well.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:30 AM   #13
Master Bedroom
2nd Team All-American

Male

Master Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot material

Like Connor Shaw? And I don't think Joyner is 6'3"
Master Bedroom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 11:34 AM   #14
CoastCocky
Starter

Female

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Bedroom View Post
Like Connor Shaw? And I don't think Joyner is 6'3"
Shaw is 6'2" or 6'1" (depending on who you believe) so he meets or exceeds the 6'1" limitation.

You are correct on Joyner, I got my numbers mixed up. He's listed as 6'2" on HUDL, 6'1" on Rivals, 6'1" on Scout, and 6'2" on 247. Either way, he should meet the 6'1" minimum.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:38 AM   #15
Master Bedroom
2nd Team All-American

Male

Master Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastCocky View Post
Shaw is 6'2" or 6'1" (depending on who you believe) so he meets or exceeds the 6'1" limitation.

You are correct on Joyner, I got my numbers mixed up. He's listed as 6'2" on HUDL, 6'1" on Rivals, 6'1" on Scout, and 6'2" on 247. Either way, he should meet the 6'1" minimum.
Shaw isn't 6'2". McIlwain was 6'0", I guess that 1 inch is the magic number in your opinion?
Master Bedroom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 11:46 AM   #16
smoovecock
Super Moderator

Male

Quote:

..Nah my friend...if Shaw was lucky he was 6ft. Stood by him many times, Im 6ft 1in and he was nowhere close to my height.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:49 AM   #17
CoastCocky
Starter

Female

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Bedroom View Post
Shaw isn't 6'2". McIlwain was 6'0", I guess that 1 inch is the magic number in your opinion?
Unless you've put a tape measure up to Connor Shaw, I guess neither of really knows, other than what we can find online. But, again, either way, he meets the minimum 6'1".

Does the extra inch matter? It sure seems to if you look at the numbers. Every metric and ever edge matters in football, which is why a guy who's a hair faster in the 40 is likely to get drafted higher.

McIlwain seemed to the perfect storm of bad traits. Too short to see the field well and make some necessary throws and not very mobile. Shaw was a bit taller and had great mobility (plus many other football traits).

It's no great secret that height is important for QBs:

https://gooddeedseats.com/all-starti...rback-heights/

Only 3 starting NFL QBs come in under 6'2" (and one of those is terrible), so that tells what's valued at the next level.

Of course the 6'1" is arbitrary and taller is always better but that's the minimum height I would consider for a QB recruit, with the exception already mentioned.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:52 AM   #18
CoastCocky
Starter

Female

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoovecock View Post
..Nah my friend...if Shaw was lucky he was 6ft. Stood by him many times, Im 6ft 1in and he was nowhere close to my height.
His official NFL profile lists his height as 6'1". I know it's not as official as the "I've stood next to him" standard. Be that as it may, he was arguably the greatest QB in our program's history and, as already mentioned in my original post, had the exceptional running ability that I said would make me consider a shorter QB. He was exceptional throwing outside the pocket and on the run, which are rare qualities. So, yes, Connor Shaw is the perfect example to prove my point. If you can find a once-in-a-generation talent like Shaw, take him.
Old 03-07-2017, 12:10 PM   #19
smoovecock
Super Moderator

Male

Quote:
His official NFL profile lists his height as 6'1". I know it's not as official as the "I've stood next to him" standard. Be that as it may, he was arguably the greatest QB in our program's history and, as already mentioned in my original post, had the exceptional running ability that I said would make me consider a shorter QB. He was exceptional throwing outside the pocket and on the run, which are rare qualities. So, yes, Connor Shaw is the perfect example to prove my point. If you can find a once-in-a-generation talent like Shaw, take him.
..Shaw was great and I love the man for what he did here. What Shaw and Wilson proves is a shorter QB can throw the ball on the run and be effect. It also proves there are not many QBs like them that can be effective day in and day out. They are also prone to getting injured more than a QB that can stand back in the pocket tall with a good oline blocking for them. That is what our Ocord is trying to implement. Pro Style with a QB that can run a little if he has too.
Old 03-07-2017, 12:13 PM   #20
smoovecock
Super Moderator

Male

Oh and back to fsu Francois....he is the toughest SOB at QB I have seen in a long long time. I dont like fsu and I dont like the acc but I will give credit were it is due and I would love to have Francois as my teammate. The guy is tough and has the tools to be a great QB..