CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
GuyInTheGreenHouse
Captain9Dragons
Blitzkrieg
Three and Out
RGHoskins
Master Bedroom
Flameout12
Order 66
Spur's Addiction
EAtMoRTaYtErz
2017 NBA Draft Night (1256)
SI 10 coaches under (549)
Gamecock Womens team (345)
I have a new grandda (138)
Thornwell To The Cli (130)
Dozier Signs With th (26)
2017 NBA Draft Night toni
Dozier Signs With the Lak
Thornwell To The Clippers
WBB - Te'a Cooper
2018 - Dorian Gerald
Discussion: 2018 Recruiti
Dark Horse?
Men's team next season
Official Baseball Coachin
Random Sports question of

Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 05:28 PM   #41
Roosterboy
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material
Default Re: Argument between Roper & McIlwain

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiscoCocky View Post
Make sense Urick has nice ring to it. I think Ulrich could do fine, nice size,decent arm, and he got a Ucheat offer so he must have a 5star heart if nothing else.

HIs last name is not Ulrich...it is URICH.

Pronounced You-Rich.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Old 03-13-2017, 07:13 PM   #42
EAtMoRTaYtErz
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 57500
EAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot material

Time to let it go. I am sure there were many reasons both good and maybe not so good that lead him to his decision. Taking shots at a kid like this is uncalled for. I will say the guy is an Elite 11 QB and is plenty talented enough to be starter at a Power 5 school. Something that just isn't happening so long as a healthy Jake Bentley is here. So I support him trying be starter if that is what his dream is.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:16 PM   #43
cocky0
The Slurp

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Fark of the Year Christmas Farking Contest: Christmas Farking Contest - Given for: Winning Farking Contest 
CockyCash: 9900000
cocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to cocky0

Dang it, smoove. I was poking fun at the nay-sayers.

Oh well.... time for a beer.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:51 PM   #44
Ace Dilcock
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 650
Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material

His skill set did not work well with Roper's offense and he was not going to be able to beat out Bentley.

He had not been able to sniff PT on the baseball team. Even if he could contribute in baseball, going full-time baseball was not an option with limited scholarships - most baseball guys are not on full scholarship and BMac was not eligible for lottery funds because he was out of state. And there was probably not even a partial available right now, much less a full.

I wish him well and hate it for a good Gamecock, but I think he is making the right move.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:54 PM   #45
kingofnerf
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
kingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot material

What happened with Nunez and BMac are textbook examples of why it is unwise to start true Freshmen most of the time.

But we didn't have a choice. It just is what it is.
Old 03-13-2017, 09:09 PM   #46
CoastCocky
Banned

Female

CoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofnerf View Post
What happened with Nunez and BMac are textbook examples of why it is unwise to start true Freshmen most of the time.

But we didn't have a choice. It just is what it is.
I think it just boils down to regime change. Nunez was already here. Champ was brought in so late in the recruiting game, he had no choice but to stick with BMac. But neither one fit the offense he wants to run.

That aside, Nunez probably wasn't really meant to be a QB. Promising him the chance to compete at QB is what gave us the advantage over other schools when recruiting him. BMac, as of now, simply appears to be a recruiting miss (mostly by the previous staff). I'd be surprised to see either go onto productive careers at QB at a major college.
Old 03-13-2017, 09:12 PM   #47
EAtMoRTaYtErz
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 57500
EAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot material

You don't usually become a good QB overnight going up against SEC defenses. It takes time. His time ran out halfway through the season. That is not the usual timeline. It's not that McIlwain doesn't have the right skill set. It's that Bentley's is a bit better and is more polished being the son of very good coach, running an offense he and his dad who is his coach officially now in college is familiar with. There very few QBs if any in the country that can come in as a freshman and hope to beat out even a freshman Jake Bentley the way we are set up.
Old 03-13-2017, 09:20 PM   #48
CoastCocky
Banned

Female

CoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAtMoRTaYtErz View Post
You don't usually become a good QB overnight going up against SEC defenses. It takes time. His time ran out halfway through the season. That is not the usual timeline. It's not that McIlwain doesn't have the right skill set. It's that Bentley's is a bit better and is more polished being the son of very good coach, running an offense he and his dad who is his coach officially now in college is familiar with. There very few QBs if any in the country that can come in as a freshman and hope to beat out even a freshman Jake Bentley the way we are set up.
Part of the problem is that McIlwain looked totally lost when he was in the game. It's one thing to look raw. Quite another to look lost.
Old 03-13-2017, 09:41 PM   #49
Wisercock
Game MVP

Male

Wisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot material

I'm guessing that Deebo spent some time in the Principal's Office after this article was published. As I remember, Champ is not fond of players talking to reporters about other players.
Old 03-13-2017, 09:44 PM   #50
bobbycock
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1034230
bobbycock rules the CockPitbobbycock rules the CockPitbobbycock rules the CockPitbobbycock rules the CockPitbobbycock rules the CockPitbobbycock rules the CockPitbobbycock rules the CockPitbobbycock rules the CockPitbobbycock rules the CockPitbobbycock rules the CockPitbobbycock rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emery View Post
Old Josh Kendall, baiting two players and then writing an entire article or two on the conjecture.

If there's a pot that needs stirring, just call Kendall.
You got that right.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:26 PM   #51
bcgibson75
Game MVP

Male

bcgibson75 is USC mascot materialbcgibson75 is USC mascot materialbcgibson75 is USC mascot materialbcgibson75 is USC mascot materialbcgibson75 is USC mascot materialbcgibson75 is USC mascot materialbcgibson75 is USC mascot materialbcgibson75 is USC mascot materialbcgibson75 is USC mascot materialbcgibson75 is USC mascot materialbcgibson75 is USC mascot material

So, I put in my 2 cents in the original "bash" thread, but let me get this timeline straight...

- Kid gets into a argument with his position coach during 1st spring football practice.

- Skips football practice the next day at 9:00 am (not related to the 4pm baseball game later that day in Columbia--which he didn't see the field).

- Tells the FB/Baseball coaches he is transferring the following day.

- Does not tell any...ANY of his teammates on the baseball & football teams that he is bouncing and transferring (appears he kept silent).

- Drops his full load of spring semester classes (pre-paid for by a FB scholarship...a scholarship pretty directly tied to Gamecock Club member donations).

Anything short of Roper calling this kid a 'worthless SOB' or having a family/medical emergency does not...and frankly should not elicit one single bit of sympathy for a kid that showed no respect to his teammates and/or the university that was educating him during the middle of the semester.

I used the word 'quitter' in the other thread...which now seems more accurate on how everything went down.

You decide for yourself.

Thank you to Scarnecchia (and countless other USC QBs) who have either fought through injury, position changes, or just waited until your number was called on the depth chart...and stuck it out without packing up & going to look for the next place to buy into your false sense of self importance.

GO COCKS!!
Old 03-13-2017, 10:39 PM   #52
lfowens
4-Star

lfowens is crowing loudlylfowens is crowing loudlylfowens is crowing loudlylfowens is crowing loudlylfowens is crowing loudlylfowens is crowing loudlylfowens is crowing loudlylfowens is crowing loudlylfowens is crowing loudlylfowens is crowing loudlylfowens is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post
That is the big thing.
McIllwain had a chance to be the starter, but did not produce.
Bentley ran the same offense and was able to put points on the boards...that is how it goes.....if you don't produce and the guy behind you does, you lose your spot.

That is the hardest thing for prospects to learn...in HS they were the big dog, the best player on the field...in college, everyone was the best player on the field....and it gets even harder at the NFL.
I Agree.

To put it bluntly, he needs to leave and go somewhere where he can earn a spot. Most Sophomores would be very grateful to be 2nd string and have playing time under his belt. I just think that he got to the point that he feels entitled (man back in the days, a long time ago when I played college ball, you did not have a public argument with the coach at practice), and if he feels that way, he needs to leave and go somewhere else where he can regroup and realize that he needs to earn his playing time.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:56 PM   #53
Goofyboy
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

This thread is the typical Cockytalk bucket of BS, with posters speculating about an argument they know nothing of, bringing out their favorite axes to grind, and a few spewing their typical negativity toward any player, poster, or player's parent who looks to be within gunshot. The mods on here have to be pulling out their hair. I'll see some of you fans at the Spring game.
Old 03-13-2017, 11:19 PM   #54
carolina_corpsman
Household Name

Male

carolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgibson75 View Post
Drops his full load of spring semester classes (pre-paid for by a FB scholarship...a scholarship pretty directly tied to Gamecock Club member donations).
I am curious about this, that is probably close to $20,000 in benefits (excluding all of the free clothes, training etc that come with a D 1 scholarship) do they have to pay it back?

Personally, they should pay back the cost of this semester.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
Old 03-13-2017, 11:38 PM   #55
SanAntonioCock
Underestimated

Male

CockyCash: 614462087544
SanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocky0 View Post
Dang it, smoove. I was poking fun at the nay-sayers.

Oh well.... time for a beer.
You got hit by friendly fire.

🐓🏈🐓🏈🐓🏈🐓🏈🐓
Old 03-14-2017, 08:24 AM   #56
Ace Dilcock
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 650
Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material

In McIlwain's defense, he played half a season and shared time with Orth (Orth got more snaps) and he had to put up with flux on the O Line (Stanley hurt on the first play of the season and then Camper going down, injuries to Knott and Helms) and almost no talent at the other skill positions - Deebo missed most of the first half, Edwards missed a game plus in the first half, Randrecous Davis had one good game before getting hurt and redshirting, Dowdle missed most of the first half.

So we get a little O Line stability, get Dowdle and Deebo healthy - and Bentley reaps the benefits. I like Bentley and he earned the right to be our starter, but understand how tough it was for McIlwain in the first half of the year - he would certainly have performed much better in the second half with more talent around him. And he would have done better against both Clemson and Florida (IMO) with his quicker release and scrambling ability.

This is a guy that dedicated himself to the university - as a student and playing two sports. It takes a tremendous amount of time effort. And you guys want him to pay back his tuition??

I admire his efforts and hard work - I hope he finds success somewhere.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:26 AM   #57
CockyDevil
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1539
CockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgibson75 View Post
So, I put in my 2 cents in the original "bash" thread, but let me get this timeline straight...

- Kid gets into a argument with his position coach during 1st spring football practice.

- Skips football practice the next day at 9:00 am (not related to the 4pm baseball game later that day in Columbia--which he didn't see the field).

- Tells the FB/Baseball coaches he is transferring the following day.

- Does not tell any...ANY of his teammates on the baseball & football teams that he is bouncing and transferring (appears he kept silent).

- Drops his full load of spring semester classes (pre-paid for by a FB scholarship...a scholarship pretty directly tied to Gamecock Club member donations).

Anything short of Roper calling this kid a 'worthless SOB' or having a family/medical emergency does not...and frankly should not elicit one single bit of sympathy for a kid that showed no respect to his teammates and/or the university that was educating him during the middle of the semester.

I used the word 'quitter' in the other thread...which now seems more accurate on how everything went down.

You decide for yourself.

Thank you to Scarnecchia (and countless other USC QBs) who have either fought through injury, position changes, or just waited until your number was called on the depth chart...and stuck it out without packing up & going to look for the next place to buy into your false sense of self importance.

GO COCKS!!
You are going off of all speculation and hearsay. Maybe don't instead?
Old 03-14-2017, 08:27 AM   #58
CockyDevil
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1539
CockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyboy View Post
This thread is the typical Cockytalk bucket of BS, with posters speculating about an argument they know nothing of, bringing out their favorite axes to grind, and a few spewing their typical negativity toward any player, poster, or player's parent who looks to be within gunshot. The mods on here have to be pulling out their hair. I'll see some of you fans at the Spring game.
Thank you. We probably don't get a guy like Henry because of our propensity for throwing our student athletes under the bus when things don't work out. It's disgusting.
Old 03-14-2017, 09:52 AM   #59
longhaul
Recruit

Male

longhaul rules the CockPitlonghaul rules the CockPitlonghaul rules the CockPitlonghaul rules the CockPitlonghaul rules the CockPitlonghaul rules the CockPitlonghaul rules the CockPitlonghaul rules the CockPitlonghaul rules the CockPitlonghaul rules the CockPitlonghaul rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockyDevil View Post
Thank you. We probably don't get a guy like Henry because of our propensity for throwing our student athletes under the bus when things don't work out. It's disgusting.
Agree. None of us really know what all went on. It is over who really cares how it went down. Time to move on. this may actually help clear the deck for a player like Joyner.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:23 AM   #60
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyboy View Post
....with posters speculating about an argument they know nothing of, bringing out their favorite axes to grind, and a few spewing their typical negativity toward any player, poster, or player's parent who looks to be within gunshot.....
Only thing missing is bashing former coaches who recruited the guy.
Closed Thread