CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
GuyInTheGreenHouse
Captain9Dragons
Blitzkrieg
TastyLicks
CapitolCock
USCBatgirl21
RGHoskins
gamecockphan
Spurticus
thekob
Bobby Bentley: I wan (1676)
Our task in the SEC (737)
2017 SEC Tournament: (705)
How will the world e (653)
McDonald's UK South (403)
Latest Windows 10 up (277)
2018 WBB - Morgan Jo (237)
Music Thread: Day 14 (217)
Advice for places to (211)
Baseball: South Caro (154)
2017 SEC Tournament:**USC
Game time set for NC Stat
*** 2017 Carolina Panther
NC State Gametime
Anonymous SEC Coaches tak
Bobby Bentley: I want us
2018 WBB - HoopGurlz (ESP
2018 - Dakereon Joyner
2018 - Jamari Brown
DJI Drones (Spark)

View Poll Results: Is winning Gamecocks national title in football important?
Yes - it will be a dream of a lifetime 46 69.70%
Yes - but not that big of a deal 16 24.24%
No - I pull for the Gamecocks but winning isn't important 1 1.52%
No - I don't really care 3 4.55%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-10-2017, 11:05 PM   #21
PalmettoG27
Kryptonian

Male

CockyCash: 500
PalmettoG27 rules the CockPitPalmettoG27 rules the CockPitPalmettoG27 rules the CockPitPalmettoG27 rules the CockPitPalmettoG27 rules the CockPitPalmettoG27 rules the CockPitPalmettoG27 rules the CockPitPalmettoG27 rules the CockPitPalmettoG27 rules the CockPitPalmettoG27 rules the CockPitPalmettoG27 rules the CockPit
Default Re: How important is it that we win the national title?

With the general attitude around here I expected shun shine pumper 'winning isn't important' option to come in at #1..... meh!

I do not care who wins the NC if it's not us.... I was pissed off and sort of questioned my passion for the program when Spurrier really let things go to the crapper before he left.

Last edited by PalmettoG27; 01-11-2017 at 12:30 AM..
PalmettoG27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 12:34 AM   #22
SanAntonioCock
Underestimated

Male

CockyCash: 615696655434
SanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot material

I grew up a Spurs fan and never really believed the league would allow a small market team to win it all. That feeling of the first one in 1999 was indescribable and every one since has been special.
When the Gamecocks win a NCAA football championship it will be everything you dream it could be and more.

🐓🏈🐓🏈🐓🏈🐓🏈🐓
SanAntonioCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 12:51 AM   #23
GregoryHouse
Pompous Ass Hillbilly

Male

CockyCash: 53781483
GregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscjeremynca View Post
After Clemson won last night, I was very discouraged. Made me question how much time I put into the Gamecocks and sports in general. However, I don't think that is a horrible thing. So it has made me wonder - how important is it to win the national championship?

After 108 years, the Cubs won the World Series. Many fans can die happy now. But I wonder how many Cubs fans aren't as joyful as they thought they would be now that it's done. Was hope more rewarding that achieving the goal? What's next?

What about the actor who spends his whole life trying to win an Oscar? Finally in his 70s he wins one. Does he feel he wasted his life trying to win an award that may not be as rewarding or meaningful as the effort and time he put into it?

What if we do win a championship? What's next? Obviously, Alabama (and now Clemson) have the standard of getting back to the title game every year and anything less than that will be a bit of a disappointment.

Growing up a Gamecock was so much more than winning. It was about family, tailgating, culture, friends, the college experience, shaping and directing my life to where I am today. How much does winning a national title really matter?

After some reflection, last night was a good thing for me. I left SC 15 years ago but have always been a passionate fan. Anyone who knows me knows who I cheer for. However, last night brought a perspective I've never had with any other sport or team. I felt the freedom to be a fan but not be a fanatic. I cried when we won the national title in baseball in 2010. Winning another national title would be great but won't mean as much as I used to make it out to be.
I cannot speak for everyone, and I am very sure most Gamecocks fans will not agree with me on why winning the national title would be important.

The reason it is important for me (as important as a sports team winning a title can be in relation to everything else in my life is pretty low but hear me out) is for RESPECT.

It is that simple for me.

I do not think anyone outside of the program respects the Gamecocks as a college football program. Inside the program I doubt that many truly believe we will ever be an elite program and competitive with the top-10 programs on a consistent basis.

Our trophy case has bowl trophies and individual awards that speak to the good teams and special players we have had come through Columbia. I have had a lot of fun and joyous times following this program over 29 of my 38 years (as of January 11) and will continue to be a fervent fan of this team for whatever time I have left on this planet.

But what do those bowl trophies and awards add up to relative to nearly every other FBS team?

We love our program and that makes us 'special'? I have long took it as a back-handed compliment when everyone says the best thing about Gamecocks football is the loyalty of the fans because what everyone is saying (without saying it) is that it is unbelievable that Garnet and Black fans pack the stands nearly every week in the fall for more than a century to watch a program that at best defines mediocrity in its history.

We are not a long-suffering program that was once great and has since been chasing their glory days as was the case with the Cubs and Red Sox. They could at least point to a time when they won their sport's top prize over every other team in the sport. No, we haven't done that and we (us and the team) have instead consistently proved the naysayers and doubters right. I could recite the many instances of heartbreak in our recent history when we went through our 11-win years (**** Tennessee, **** Kentucky, **** Vanderbilt, **** Auburn, **** Complacency....) I can point to Navy tripping us in 1984...I don't need to through our enemies and rivals update our misery for their enjoyment every five to ten years under the title 'This is South Carolina Football'

The 2011 edition:

Quote:
THIS IS SOUTH CAROLINA FOOTBALL

Following the 2011 football season South Carolina has an all-time winning percentage of .507 (555-539-44), which ranks 47th out of all college football teams considered major schools in college football (76)….only 29 teams are worse. A few of the notable “MAJOR” football programs who have been better than the Gamecocks include such powerhouses as: Tulsa, Utah, Minnesota, Navy, and Purdue, just to name a few. This is South Carolina football.

In the 69 seasons South Carolina has been affiliated with a conference, they have won that conference once...the ACC in 1969, with a 7-4 record. Since the Associated Press began ranking football teams in 1936, the ##### have finished in the Top 20 of the rankings only six times in those 77 years. South Carolina has finished in the Top 10 of a major recognized poll...ONCE in 2011, the best season in their entire history with 11 wins. That year the entire team received rings for going 11-2 and for finishing a tough, hard fought 5th place in the SEC. As they say in tee ball, everyone is a winner. This is South Carolina football.

The first year of Gamecock football was in 1892, South Carolina won its first bowl game 103 years later under BRAD SCOTT. In 120 seasons of football, South Carolina never participated in a pre-BCS major bowl (Rose, Fiesta, Orange, Cotton, and Sugar) and has yet to receive a BCS invite. As South Carolina is set to begin its 121st season of collegiate football, they have won 11 or more games in a single season once. In 120 seasons, Carolina has won more games than it lost only 56 times. In 120 seasons, Carolina has won more than 6 games in a season 23 times, and lost 6 or more 38 times. This is South Carolina football.

South Carolina has had 33 different head coaches in its storied tradition...only six of them have stayed longer than 5 seasons, while 21 of them have losing records. “It’s another Carolina Touchdown!?”…not quite. Of the 56 programs, which have played more than 1000 games all-time, only four have scored fewer points than South Carolina in their schools history. This is South Carolina football.

Since joining the SEC in 1992, Carolina has had a winning record in the conference five times in 20 years. In the 21 seasons as a member of the SEC, South Carolina boasts a conference record of 66-94-1. Although South Carolina has yet to win the SEC, they have finished 0-8 in the conference twice. South Carolina has won six conference games in a season once. Only Kentucky, Ole Miss, and Vanderbilt have less 6 conference win seasons. This is South Carolina football.

Of the most memorable moments in their history is the fact that South Carolina went two consecutive seasons without winning one conference game. That’s right, not one. Carolina had an impressive string of 21 consecutive games with a loss snapped in 2000 by beating New Mexico State (and to let the rest of the country know what South Carolina football was all about, their fans commenced to tear down the goal-posts. No, I am not kidding). This is South Carolina football.

Since 1992, only three times has any non-probation member of the conference failed to win two or more games overall in a season…South Carolina has accomplished this feat twice, Kentucky once. Since 1992, only once has a conference member failed to win a game overall in a single season…you guessed it, South Carolina. South Carolina’s all-time record versus other current conference members is even more impressive: 3-12 vs Alabama, 7-13 vs Arkansas, 1-9-1 vs Auburn, 6-23-3 vs Florida, 15-42-2 vs Georgia, 15-7-1 vs Kentucky, 2-16-1 vs LSU, 7-8 vs Ole Miss, 8-6 vs Mississippi St., 6-22-2 vs Tennessee, and 17-4 vs Vanderbilt. That’s correct, Carolina leads the all-time series against 3 SEC teams...Kentucky, Miss St. and Vanderbilt. This is South Carolina football.

But, the comparison of only 21 seasons in one conference does no justice to the tradition of South Carolina football. Comparing the ##### record versus D-1A schools they have played 15 or more times: 40-65-4 vs Clemson, 17-24-3 vs Duke, 6-23-3 vs Florida, 15-42-2 vs Georgia, 9-11 vs Georgia Tech, 11-17 vs Maryland, 17-32-4 vs North Carolina, 3-16 vs Florida State, 6-22-2 vs Tennessee, 21-12-1 vs Virginia, and 34-20-2 vs Wake Forest. That’s correct; South Carolina leads the all-time series against 2 of these 11 teams...Virginia and Wake Forest. This is South Carolina football.

Gamecock fans justify their horrible football record thru the strength of the SEC conference. But let’s look at the Gamecock’s record against the other big 5 conferences. South Carolina is 156-173-15 vs the ACC, 4-7 vs the Big 12, 6-17 vs the Big East, 5-4 vs the Big Ten and 1-1 s Pac12. This is South Carolina Football.

2003 was the season that the ##### would rebuild and compete for a SEC title with their consecutive top 10 recruiting classes. Yet, they finished the season with another sub 500 performance. That season ended with a 63-17 thumping at home from archrival Clemson. This is South Carolina football.

In 2005 a new era began for the Gamecocks as they hire legendary coach Steve Spurrier. They opened up their wallets (and another grave plot in their cemetery of washed up head coaches) for what surely would be the coach to get them on the road to glory. After 6 seasons under coach Spurrier the Gamecocks have yet to win the SEC and have seen 45 players and coaches arrested. This is South Carolina football.

In 2007 the Gamecocks got off to a roaring 6-1 start after beating #12 Georgia and #8 Kentucky. Surely this would be the year that all the Gamecock faithful had been yearning for. It was finally the “Next Year”! But hold the presses. After beating #8 Kentucky and garnering a rank as high as #6 in the country, those Gamecocks lost to lowly Vanderbilt that started a Gamecock trademarked “fall from grace” to lose their last 5 games and finish 6-6 for the season. This is South Carolina football.

The very next season, in 2008, those South Carolina Gamecocks got right back up and at it again beginning the season with a 7-2 record. But again those BCS hopes were dashed by a 56-6 #### whoopin’ from those Florida Gators. South Carolina would go on to lose their last 3 games of the season to finish 7-5. This is South Carolina football.

In 2009, with rival Clemson clinching the Atlantic Division in the ACC, the South Carolina Gamecocks had lost 3 straight and were sitting on a 6-5 record. When those Tigers came to town, those Gamecocks took advantage of turnovers and dampened the mood for the ACC Championship bound Tigers…. “Was this the end of the dreaded Chicken Curse?” the faithful coots prayed. But Ol’ Pitchfork Ben Tillman could only chuckle as UConn slammed the Gamecocks 20-7 in the Papa Johns.com bowl. This is South Carolina football.

In 2010 the Gamecocks got off to yet another historical start with a 9-3 record. They finally managed to win the SEC East division title. This is it! The moment that they had all been waiting for! The SEC Championship game in Atlanta! Surely a 9-3 East Champions would hang with undefeated Auburn in the Championship game! But again, Ol’ Ben chuckled loudly as Auburn pounded the Gamecocks 56-17. The Gamecocks would go on to lose the Chick Fil A bowl to Florida State 26-17. This is South Carolina football.

As starting QB for South Carolina from 2009-2011, Stephen Garcia had managed 3 arrests, 5 different suspensions and never missed one minute of playing time. In the summer of 2011, the reason behind Garcia’s behavior and lack of punishment became crystal clear to all the critics. An incident occurred that explained everything to those wondering how a young man could get away with so much. With Garcia already serving an indefinite suspension for violation of team rules, on July 26th, 2011 Quarter Backs coach G.A. Mangus was arrested in Greenville, SC after urinating on Main Street. G.A. was immediately suspended indefinitely by Coach Spurrier. Seven days later both G.A. and Garcia were reinstated to the team on the same day, just in time for the start of fall camp. This is South Carolina football.

The 2011 season brought yet another heart break for those poor Gamecocks. In 2011 the Gamecocks went 11-2 with a bowl win over Nebraska. However, they became the first collegiate football team in history to defeat all of their division rivals but still lose their division. they also became the first team in history to defeat all of their division rivals and finish 5th or worse in overall conference play. "But that's ok", they say. "We have our 5th place rings." This is South Carolina football.

Now, with another football season right around the corner in 2012, the South Carolina Gamecocks will trot out to the practice fields, 5th place rings blinging in the sun, in hopes of finding Glory. But we simply wait for another event to occur where we can smile, shake our head and simply say “THAT is South Carolina football.”

I do not hate Clemson. I hate Dabo Swinney for his anti-Gamecock rant and his slimy vibe. I hate Clemson fans on social media (like Clemson Tom, the Clemson trolls here and over on tigernet). However, I have family members, coworkers and friends who are Clemson fans and alumni. These people I know to be good and honest people who are fans of their program just the same as we are of ours. This group does not respect us as a worthy rival though. We know the series record and even when we were beating them five straight, they took it as a fluke and never saw us even then as being on their program’s level. They see us as a fun little brother to pick on, bully and irritate. They have no respect for the Gamecocks and laugh at our setbacks and failure. They will almost never be quieted, as that is the nature of an archrival, but how much smack can we actually talk to Clemson trolls and fans in these days after their second title? The most we can reasonably do is tip our cap to them and tell them we will get them one day. They do not think this is possible but a national title is the mark of a truly good (and lucky) team – otherwise the team is more remembered for the imperfections and breakdowns they ultimately kept them from getting the title. Clemson made the title game last year but they are on a whole another level now that they are the champions again. I don’t know how long that respect and attention will last on a national level. I suspect it will last right up until they lose a couple of games BUT even then they are still granted respect of at least getting that title in recent history.

The media does not hate the Gamecocks. Indeed ESPN does not hate the Gamecocks. The pollsters and preseason prognosticators are not directly out to get us when they rank us bottom or middle of the SEC year in and year out. The truth is that the media does not give a flying **** about the Gamecocks. They do not invest much interest at all in the Gamecocks. They have look at all of our streaks and great wins with the full expectation that we will drop the ball and do something embarrassing to fall back into the lower level of competitiveness. We invariably do. We do it when we Hire legends who then struggle to avoid losing five or more games in a season. We do it when we follow wins over highly ranked opponent the very next week with losses to Kentucky or Vanderbilt. We do it when we follow 11 win seasons with three win seasons. We have proven their doubts correct time and time again. The not make those way to earn their respect is to erase those boneheaded setbacks and prove that we can start and finish every game and whether the pressure of the season.
Our fans are not bi polar. They are not always doom and gloom just as they are not always sunshine pumping no matter what face the consistently show to the public. They watch the games, follow recruiting and watch the decisions the coaches and program administrators make with their combinations of HOPE & EXPECTATIONS – to varying mix depending on the situation and recent histories. The questions we try to answer every season and every game is why not us? That question can mean different things to different people at any given time. Our attempt to even answer the question is colored by our own experience, knowledge and bias. Our fans want to have definitive proof that we can do it – we can be just as good and great as any other team that we try to compete with. Shit, we have already proven that we will stick with the team through the thin times, it is not selfish or too much to ask that we know that the program has work as hard as they possibly could and have done everything they could to make us successful. While we would call rooting for the team we root for a waste of time, it certainly does feel like a waste of time when you can point to objectively bad decisions, bad tactics, bad effort or other negative things that are witness that ultimately sabotages the ability of the team you love to win. The only way to really push those doubts aside is to actually reach the top of the mountain.

So, for me, the Gamecocks winning a National Title is important because it would bring respect to this program that I love dearly. Should we care that the Gamecocks do not currently have that respect? Yes. Yes we should. We should care as much about our team being respected (against such negativity I have stated above) on an external level while we (through good times and bad) continue to love and enjoy the hard work and good things our team does that often gets overlooked to those that don’t have a vested interest in following the Gamecocks.

Muschamp believes that recruiting within a five-hour radius of USC, "we can recruit good enough players to win the East every year."
GregoryHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:15 AM   #24
RMaceJr
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 49985
RMaceJr has earned his spursRMaceJr has earned his spursRMaceJr has earned his spursRMaceJr has earned his spursRMaceJr has earned his spursRMaceJr has earned his spurs

Powerful stuff, Dr. House.
RMaceJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:27 AM   #25
treys1986
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 841500
treys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot material

To me, it's not so much a matter of winning it as it is a matter of being in the conversation.

Being in a position to make the playoffs, and being in a position to make a New Year's Six Bowl are huge accomplishments. Getting our program to that level would satisfy me. That's not saying I don't care if we never win one, because I certainly do. But seeing our program on that stage would almost be a surreal feeling to me.
treys1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:40 AM   #26
Jim Lahey
I am the liquor

Male

CockyCash: 200
Jim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by kick_ball View Post
What? Isn't winning a championship the only reason you play sports? What a ridiculous discussion
This. However, SC is nowhere close to winning a NC. In our best run in school history with 3, 11 wins seasons in a row, we weren't close to getting to the NC.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:45 AM   #27
Lucky
Banned?

Male

CockyCash: 1750
Lucky is USC mascot materialLucky is USC mascot materialLucky is USC mascot materialLucky is USC mascot materialLucky is USC mascot materialLucky is USC mascot materialLucky is USC mascot materialLucky is USC mascot materialLucky is USC mascot materialLucky is USC mascot materialLucky is USC mascot material

It would be awesome, but South Carolina will never win a national championship.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:51 AM   #28
CapitolCock
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 100
CapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot material

When has it ever NOT been important to win a National Championship? That's literally what these kids play for (on top of a chance to make it to the NFL).
CapitolCock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:18 AM   #29
duff18
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 2000000500
duff18 rules the CockPitduff18 rules the CockPitduff18 rules the CockPitduff18 rules the CockPitduff18 rules the CockPitduff18 rules the CockPitduff18 rules the CockPitduff18 rules the CockPitduff18 rules the CockPitduff18 rules the CockPitduff18 rules the CockPit

I'd put House's post in quotes and say bravo, but don't want to lengthen the thread. So will just say great post.

I love my Gamecock's and will say that it would mean a lot to win a NC, plain and simple. I simply feel sorry for the "fans" who dismiss it out of hand. Sure, realistically it will be extremely difficult and low probability. But I come on this site most days to get updates on the team and recruiting and hope that we build something for one season that catches lighting in a bottle, where we get a few breaks and where a few special players push us over the top. If we never win, I'll have enjoyed the ride anyway.
duff18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:18 AM   #30
Lankey62
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 1718
Lankey62 has earned his spursLankey62 has earned his spursLankey62 has earned his spursLankey62 has earned his spursLankey62 has earned his spursLankey62 has earned his spurs

Let's be honest, in order for us to even get into the same position as Clemson (playoff birth) is a much tougher road. Tigers simply have to win two games a year plus their conference title and they are in. Our road to getting to the playoffs is going to be much harder.

However, there is no reason why it can't be done. We have the guys we need working the recruiting trail! It's just a matter of time before the stars fall into place.
Lankey62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 03:38 PM   #31
duff18
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 2000000500
duff18 rules the CockPitduff18 rules the CockPitduff18 rules the CockPitduff18 rules the CockPitduff18 rules the CockPitduff18 rules the CockPitduff18 rules the CockPitduff18 rules the CockPitduff18 rules the CockPitduff18 rules the CockPitduff18 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lankey62 View Post
Let's be honest, in order for us to even get into the same position as Clemson (playoff birth) is a much tougher road. Tigers simply have to win two games a year plus their conference title and they are in. Our road to getting to the playoffs is going to be much harder.

However, there is no reason why it can't be done. We have the guys we need working the recruiting trail! It's just a matter of time before the stars fall into place.
You have to presume the SEC champion will get in most years. Had UF upset Bama this year, that would not have put them in the playoff, but the point is win the division so there's a shot at winning the SEC. You win the SEC and most years you make the playoff.
duff18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 04:02 PM   #32
Lankey62
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 1718
Lankey62 has earned his spursLankey62 has earned his spursLankey62 has earned his spursLankey62 has earned his spursLankey62 has earned his spursLankey62 has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by duff18 View Post
You have to presume the SEC champion will get in most years. Had UF upset Bama this year, that would not have put them in the playoff, but the point is win the division so there's a shot at winning the SEC. You win the SEC and most years you make the playoff.
The way I think of it, we have to hope that Florida, Georgia, and Tennessee are all having down years. Plus we have to hope that we draw an easy west opponent. Not saying that Clemson doesn't beat the teams they need to beat, but they realistically can prep for Louisville and Florida St and they're set.
Lankey62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:59 PM   #33
Spartan
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
Spartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudly

So apparently the only thing that makes a team good is its history. I guess I should just hang up all of my Carolina gear and start buying my prison-jumpsuit-orange paraphernalia because I'm wasting my time! [/sarcasm]

I don't see why there seem to be these meltdowns all over the place. You can't change history, and ours is what it is. We do have the ability to look at history in context (and you should apply it to the university and its athletics). We can also look at trajectory. Despite our history, our overall win percentage is improving. Spurrier literally made us a winning program. We've had more success in the past 15-20 years than in our entire history before that. Why dwell on the past? Things are moving in a good direction, and the best years are ahead of us.

Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 12:51 AM   #34
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

CockyCash: 8981001
CockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoryHouse View Post

I cannot speak for everyone, and I am very sure most Gamecocks fans will not agree with me on why winning the national title would be important.

The reason it is important for me (as important as a sports team winning a title can be in relation to everything else in my life is pretty low but hear me out) is for RESPECT.

It is that simple for me.

I do not think anyone outside of the program respects the Gamecocks as a college football program. Inside the program I doubt that many truly believe we will ever be an elite program and competitive with the top-10 programs on a consistent basis.

Our trophy case has bowl trophies and individual awards that speak to the good teams and special players we have had come through Columbia. I have had a lot of fun and joyous times following this program over 29 of my 38 years (as of January 11) and will continue to be a fervent fan of this team for whatever time I have left on this planet.

But what do those bowl trophies and awards add up to relative to nearly every other FBS team?

We love our program and that makes us 'special'? I have long took it as a back-handed compliment when everyone says the best thing about Gamecocks football is the loyalty of the fans because what everyone is saying (without saying it) is that it is unbelievable that Garnet and Black fans pack the stands nearly every week in the fall for more than a century to watch a program that at best defines mediocrity in its history.

We are not a long-suffering program that was once great and has since been chasing their glory days as was the case with the Cubs and Red Sox. They could at least point to a time when they won their sport's top prize over every other team in the sport. No, we haven't done that and we (us and the team) have instead consistently proved the naysayers and doubters right. I could recite the many instances of heartbreak in our recent history when we went through our 11-win years (**** Tennessee, **** Kentucky, **** Vanderbilt, **** Auburn, **** Complacency....) I can point to Navy tripping us in 1984...I don't need to through our enemies and rivals update our misery for their enjoyment every five to ten years under the title 'This is South Carolina Football'

The 2011 edition:

I do not hate Clemson. I hate Dabo Swinney for his anti-Gamecock rant and his slimy vibe. I hate Clemson fans on social media (like Clemson Tom, the Clemson trolls here and over on tigernet). However, I have family members, coworkers and friends who are Clemson fans and alumni. These people I know to be good and honest people who are fans of their program just the same as we are of ours. This group does not respect us as a worthy rival though. We know the series record and even when we were beating them five straight, they took it as a fluke and never saw us even then as being on their programís level. They see us as a fun little brother to pick on, bully and irritate. They have no respect for the Gamecocks and laugh at our setbacks and failure. They will almost never be quieted, as that is the nature of an archrival, but how much smack can we actually talk to Clemson trolls and fans in these days after their second title? The most we can reasonably do is tip our cap to them and tell them we will get them one day. They do not think this is possible but a national title is the mark of a truly good (and lucky) team Ė otherwise the team is more remembered for the imperfections and breakdowns they ultimately kept them from getting the title. Clemson made the title game last year but they are on a whole another level now that they are the champions again. I donít know how long that respect and attention will last on a national level. I suspect it will last right up until they lose a couple of games BUT even then they are still granted respect of at least getting that title in recent history.

The media does not hate the Gamecocks. Indeed ESPN does not hate the Gamecocks. The pollsters and preseason prognosticators are not directly out to get us when they rank us bottom or middle of the SEC year in and year out. The truth is that the media does not give a flying **** about the Gamecocks. They do not invest much interest at all in the Gamecocks. They have look at all of our streaks and great wins with the full expectation that we will drop the ball and do something embarrassing to fall back into the lower level of competitiveness. We invariably do. We do it when we Hire legends who then struggle to avoid losing five or more games in a season. We do it when we follow wins over highly ranked opponent the very next week with losses to Kentucky or Vanderbilt. We do it when we follow 11 win seasons with three win seasons. We have proven their doubts correct time and time again. The not make those way to earn their respect is to erase those boneheaded setbacks and prove that we can start and finish every game and whether the pressure of the season.
Our fans are not bi polar. They are not always doom and gloom just as they are not always sunshine pumping no matter what face the consistently show to the public. They watch the games, follow recruiting and watch the decisions the coaches and program administrators make with their combinations of HOPE & EXPECTATIONS Ė to varying mix depending on the situation and recent histories. The questions we try to answer every season and every game is why not us? That question can mean different things to different people at any given time. Our attempt to even answer the question is colored by our own experience, knowledge and bias. Our fans want to have definitive proof that we can do it Ė we can be just as good and great as any other team that we try to compete with. Shit, we have already proven that we will stick with the team through the thin times, it is not selfish or too much to ask that we know that the program has work as hard as they possibly could and have done everything they could to make us successful. While we would call rooting for the team we root for a waste of time, it certainly does feel like a waste of time when you can point to objectively bad decisions, bad tactics, bad effort or other negative things that are witness that ultimately sabotages the ability of the team you love to win. The only way to really push those doubts aside is to actually reach the top of the mountain.

So, for me, the Gamecocks winning a National Title is important because it would bring respect to this program that I love dearly. Should we care that the Gamecocks do not currently have that respect? Yes. Yes we should. We should care as much about our team being respected (against such negativity I have stated above) on an external level while we (through good times and bad) continue to love and enjoy the hard work and good things our team does that often gets overlooked to those that donít have a vested interest in following the Gamecocks.
We've actually won 4 conference titles I believe. 2 Southern and 2 Acc but only 1 or 2 is recognized.

But we are gonna win a title before too long I just feel it. Everyone be cool and enjoy our ascent again. We were really close in the last 5 years we can and will be again.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:53 AM   #35
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

CockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lahey View Post
This. However, SC is nowhere close to winning a NC. In our best run in school history with 3, 11 wins seasons in a row, we weren't close to getting to the NC.
Wrongo I do believe under the current format we would have been in a playoff just a few years ago. Finish in the top 4 right?
Old 01-12-2017, 12:54 AM   #36
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
It would be awesome, but South Carolina will never win a national championship.
Ok can I see your Sports Almanac from the last year the world exists?