CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
2000grad
Three and Out
SanAntonioCock
kick_ball
Master Bedroom
SwampFox
GoldenSpur7
ucan'tlickourcocks
Blitzkrieg
spareparts
Spring practice news (1154)
Update on new scoreb (467)
Rankings Shortly (387)
***Weekly Poll Threa (383)
***Got Flow? - Mens (253)
CHICK ROCK! (177)
The 2017-2018 South (171)
Coaches Media Availa (70)
Brandon Chiazza - Wa (70)
Spring practice news
The most notorious case o
Williams Brice pressbox
Muschamp surprises team w
Tevin Mack Coming Home?
2018 - Stephon Wynn
Update on new scoreboard
2018 - Xavier Thomas
2017 - Mike Hughes
Discussion: 2018 Recruiti

Old 01-11-2017, 10:25 PM   #21
brat
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100500
brat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot material
Default Re: Letter to Tanner

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAtMoRTaYtErz View Post
So you will ignore someone's point and not consider it simply because you don't like sci fi? That's very closed-minded and ignorant. It's the same point that many brilliant minds have made long before Star Wars. That is the results are what matter in this life. It's Darwinism. The extinct long dead members of a species don't get to their genes passed on for TRYING to do so. They actually have to do it.
I understand the quote. I am saying using a fictional movie character, alone, especially one that is a puppet is akin to using a quote from Batman or Bugs Bunny to bolster your argument. Like it or not, it leaves an unfavorable impression to most professional people. Use that kind of quote if you are writing to an old friend. You could make a similar point by using your own words or those of a famous, respected, real person.

If I were conducting a job interview for an important position and someone walked in wearing a tee shirt or jeans with holes in them, inwardly I would roll my eyes, but they would have a much more difficult time making me take them seriously or for them to project themselves as a mature person or a potential employee. If you look and sound serious, you will more likely be taken as such.

It leaves a better impression and shows you want others to really pay attention, let alone take action. I would argue that would be a better approach. That might seem unfair to some, but it is reality.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:29 PM   #22
HCIW
I Look Like A Nug

Male

CockyCash: 27057848
HCIW is USC mascot materialHCIW is USC mascot materialHCIW is USC mascot materialHCIW is USC mascot materialHCIW is USC mascot materialHCIW is USC mascot materialHCIW is USC mascot materialHCIW is USC mascot materialHCIW is USC mascot materialHCIW is USC mascot materialHCIW is USC mascot material

Just wanted to post in what will inevitably be a HOF thread.

Also, I think we're think too small here. Boom deserves an aircraft carrier. Now THAT would turn some ****ing heads out on the recruiting trail.
HCIW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:33 PM   #23
HCIW
I Look Like A Nug

Male

CockyCash: 27057848
HCIW is USC mascot materialHCIW is USC mascot materialHCIW is USC mascot materialHCIW is USC mascot materialHCIW is USC mascot materialHCIW is USC mascot materialHCIW is USC mascot materialHCIW is USC mascot materialHCIW is USC mascot materialHCIW is USC mascot materialHCIW is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by brat View Post
I understand the quote. I am saying using a fictional movie character, alone, especially one that is a puppet is akin to using a quote from Batman or Bugs Bunny to bolster your argument. Like it or not, it leaves an unfavorable impression to most professional people. Use that kind of quote if you are writing to an old friend. You could make a similar point by using your own words or those of a famous, respected, real person.

If I were conducting a job interview for an important position and someone walked in wearing a tee shirt or jeans with holes in them, inwardly I would roll my eyes, but they would have a much more difficult time making me take them seriously or for them to project themselves as a mature person or a potential employee. If you look and sound serious, you will more likely be taken as such.

It leaves a better impression and shows you want others to really pay attention, let alone take action. I would argue that would be a better approach. That might seem unfair to some, but it is reality.
OMFG thank you for this. My face hurts. "...especially one that is a puppet..." lost it.
HCIW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:34 PM   #24
SCohioBoy
Buckle up, BOOM Comin'

Male

CockyCash: 200
SCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockDad1531 View Post
You chipping in? Lol

They already get my money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-11-2017, 10:36 PM   #25
purebredcock
Show Me.

Male

CockyCash: 400
purebredcock is USC mascot materialpurebredcock is USC mascot materialpurebredcock is USC mascot materialpurebredcock is USC mascot materialpurebredcock is USC mascot materialpurebredcock is USC mascot materialpurebredcock is USC mascot materialpurebredcock is USC mascot materialpurebredcock is USC mascot materialpurebredcock is USC mascot materialpurebredcock is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to purebredcock

I support all these thoughts, write the letter. BTW, star wars is my only sci-fi but I'd leave it out
#1 debbie downer
purebredcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:39 PM   #26
Schark
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 11400
Schark is USC mascot materialSchark is USC mascot materialSchark is USC mascot materialSchark is USC mascot materialSchark is USC mascot materialSchark is USC mascot materialSchark is USC mascot materialSchark is USC mascot materialSchark is USC mascot materialSchark is USC mascot materialSchark is USC mascot material

Might be interesting to present Ray a notion about pitching Under Armor for marketing co-op funding.

Old 01-11-2017, 10:49 PM   #27
pitchcock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 29776300
pitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schark View Post
I'm all for adding high profile assets that bolster the reputation of our brand so we're on the same page.

Helo's are really cool and the "neato" factor is exceptionally high however the notion that Muschamp could drop in on recruits from the sky is flawed. You can't just show up at a high school and land in the parking lot or on the football field. There are safety and security concerns as well as the disruption to the school would likely go unappreciated by the administration.

My personal opinion is that we would be better served by upgrading our fixed wing feet with the addition of a jet. A sexy one.

The jet would offer a heck of a lot of wow factor as well if we splashed it with aggressive gamecock themed paint.
Sumlin uses a helo to drop in on practices, but I'm sure it's not practical at every HS.

No sense in splashing up a sexy jet. Recruits won't see it.

I think Tanner is well aware of how our teams have done against Clemson, sending him a letter reminding him of that probably won't win you any points. Neither will the philosophy of Yoda.
pitchcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:56 PM   #28
Schark
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 11400
Schark is USC mascot materialSchark is USC mascot materialSchark is USC mascot materialSchark is USC mascot materialSchark is USC mascot materialSchark is USC mascot materialSchark is USC mascot materialSchark is USC mascot materialSchark is USC mascot materialSchark is USC mascot materialSchark is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchcock View Post
Sumlin uses a helo to drop in on practices, but I'm sure it's not practical at every HS.

No sense in splashing up a sexy jet. Recruits won't see it.

I think Tanner is well aware of how our teams have done against Clemson, sending him a letter reminding him of that probably won't win you any points. Neither will the philosophy of Yoda.
Recruits won't see it?

Ever hear of a low level fly by Goose?

It can be done pretty easily and if it's timed right can be very effective.

Aggie chopper

Old 01-11-2017, 11:02 PM   #29
CapitolCock
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 574
CapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot material

Here's an idea...don't send the letter. Ray Tanner will never see it, and someone from the athletic department will write you some canned response about how they appreciate your enthusiasm yada yada yada. Waste of time.
CapitolCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:07 PM   #30
CapitolCock
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 574
CapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
It's not my place to tell you what to do, but what about...
Also there's this...lol
CapitolCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:44 PM   #31
Three and Out
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
Three and Out is developing his combThree and Out is developing his combThree and Out is developing his combThree and Out is developing his combThree and Out is developing his combThree and Out is developing his combThree and Out is developing his combThree and Out is developing his combThree and Out is developing his comb

If you want it to be your letter, then write it without suggestions. It's your opinion. Let us know how it works out for you.
Three and Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:51 PM   #32
GoldenSpur7
Vincit qui se vincit

Male

GoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot material

No comment
Old 01-11-2017, 11:52 PM   #33
ChunkSnackwell
Game MVP

Male

ChunkSnackwell is USC mascot materialChunkSnackwell is USC mascot materialChunkSnackwell is USC mascot materialChunkSnackwell is USC mascot materialChunkSnackwell is USC mascot materialChunkSnackwell is USC mascot materialChunkSnackwell is USC mascot materialChunkSnackwell is USC mascot materialChunkSnackwell is USC mascot materialChunkSnackwell is USC mascot materialChunkSnackwell is USC mascot material

Quote:
I'm drafting a letter to send to Ray Tanner and I would like some input. Hopefully, I don't sound like a bitchy fan, but I prob do. Let me know where I'm right, wrong, off base or if you have something to contribute. Below is what I have so far. Thanks

Oh and if you bash me, I'll just ignore it without responding.

Dear Mr. Tanner

First, I would like to thank you for the hard work you have put into our athletic program. *Our GPA has increased and financially we've never been better. *With that said, I have some concerns that are shared by many fans. *

First, as you know, we will always measure ourselves against Clemson and the other members of the SEC East. *Many of us feel we are getting left in the dust, especially with Clemson beating us in football 3 straight years, baseball 3 straight years and basketball this year. *Florida once again played for the East title in football and Georgia has a new young coach to go with a renewed sense of urgency. *

The fans need something. *A free concert for students is nice but what are we doing as a department that inspires the fan base to look with excitement towards the future? *A new football ops building is something we have needed, but honestly, it's the equivalent of buying your best salesman a new desk. *It might help him but will it increase his sales or draw in new business? *Probably not. *Dorm renovations is a good idea, especially if they become state of the art. *

But what I mean is we need to see something that shows that the administration has a strong desire to win at the highest levels. *Something that will show recruits of all sports we are serious about taking the BRAND of South Carolina to the halls of the elite. *It's not my place to tell you what to do, but what about a tricked-out new Gamecock-designed helicopter for the athletic department? *A brand spanking new Gamecock-themed helicopter to show off to recruits and donors. *I know we have plenty of money. *Between Under Armour and ESPN and the SEC, we have never had more money. *This should have already been done, frankly.

Also, something needs to be done about this columbarium idea. *It's terrible and should never be allowed to happen. *No respectable SEC university would have that directly outside their stadium. *It will be a monument to futility if allowed to proceed. *Please do everything in your power to stop this ridiculous notion.

Finally, I desperately want you and the entire athletic department to succeed. *But I know I'm not the only one with the belief that we aren't doing enough, that those in power at the highest levels seem to be ok with us being behind in facilities, innovative ideas and groundbreaking culture changes. *Far too long we have reacted to what other schools have done instead of working tirelessly and spending relentlessly to set the standard. *Money should never be an issue. *It's time South Carolina decided once and for all: *do anything and everything to win championships within the rules or be content to merely participate. *Yoda said it best "Do or do not; there is no try."

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
ChunkSnackwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:57 PM   #34
Order 66
Ed O'Bannon must pay

Male

CockyCash: 1150385
Order 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChunkSnackwell View Post
That's my favorite gif of the year so far.
Order 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 12:02 AM   #35
2000grad
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 1233026
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

Typical structure of a persuasive writing piece

Introduction: Builds reader interest
• Background: General information on issue
• Position: States author’s position
• Argument 1, 2, and 3: } Explain why author’s position is correct
• Counterargument: Explains why the other side’s argument is wrong
• Conclusion: Restates opinion; gives the reader a mandate (call to action, etc.)
Old 01-12-2017, 12:11 AM   #36
Blackland
Game MVP

Male

Blackland rules the CockPitBlackland rules the CockPitBlackland rules the CockPitBlackland rules the CockPitBlackland rules the CockPitBlackland rules the CockPitBlackland rules the CockPitBlackland rules the CockPitBlackland rules the CockPitBlackland rules the CockPitBlackland rules the CockPit

WTF is a Columbrariam? I have no idea but I am sure we do not be another library, especially one near the WB. Are we all in on football, even though we are most successful in women's sports? Ray came from a secondary sport, a successful one, but one that most fans do not care much about. So, obviously his focus is not on football. It is on women's sports like basketball and horse riding. And basesball.

So I think you a pissing up a rope writing a letter to Tanner. He does not care any more about football than anybody who played baseball would.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:11 AM   #37
Spur's Addiction
Been caught moddin'

Male

CockyCash: 900
Spur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot material

A helicopter? That must guarantee at least 2 more wins each year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-12-2017, 12:12 AM   #38
Spur's Addiction
Been caught moddin'

Male

CockyCash: 900
Spur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot material

And what the hell is the Columbianium?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-12-2017, 12:18 AM   #39
boowilliam4
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 400
boowilliam4 rules the CockPitboowilliam4 rules the CockPitboowilliam4 rules the CockPitboowilliam4 rules the CockPitboowilliam4 rules the CockPitboowilliam4 rules the CockPitboowilliam4 rules the CockPitboowilliam4 rules the CockPitboowilliam4 rules the CockPitboowilliam4 rules the CockPitboowilliam4 rules the CockPit

Write Dabo a letter.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:23 AM   #40
robgusc76
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 101200
robgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to robgusc76

oh god please delete it.
robgusc76 is offline   Reply With Quote