CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground > Basketball Recruits

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Blitzkrieg
SanAntonioCock
kick_ball
rt3891
FurmanCock
Spur's Addiction
TastyLicks
2000grad
Master Bedroom
Flameout12
Tickets Question(s) (218)
The Open
Great Article on Coach Mu
2019 - Kamren McCray
why no mention of Garcia
2019 Commitment - Ryan Hi
We Can Beat Them
2019 - Jammie Robinson
Football Seat Selections
SEC Media Days
Tickets Question(s)

Old 03-14-2018, 06:50 PM   #41
allnet43
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
allnet43 is sharpening his clawsallnet43 is sharpening his clawsallnet43 is sharpening his clawsallnet43 is sharpening his claws
Default Re: Women's bb - Ezi Magbegor

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBCock View Post
Before you do too much soul searching, here is your reminder that they have 11 National titles and have made 10 straight Final Fours. I'd say that's probably a pretty good explanation of how they get good players.

It's not a fair fight. it's not about something as subtle as the difference between how many touches the posts get.

They get the best players because they've been the dominant program in college basketball since they knocked Tennessee off that perch in the early 00s.
I know their record, the point is they didn’t just get the best players from day one, at some point after years of building their program they started to get top players, maybe it started with Lobo and then the following year with Rizzotti. And they continued to build on that, like you said when Tennessee was the team. It’s fine to understand the talent difference but a “it’s not fair” outlook isn’t going to help us in anyway whatsoever...........jmo

Last edited by allnet43; 03-14-2018 at 07:03 PM..
allnet43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 06:55 PM   #42
Cockhornleghorn
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1234631805329
Cockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndersonCock View Post
Geno seems like a creep to me, we lead the country in attendance, have the next Olympic coach and have a hall of famer as coach. Weíll catch up to Connecticut in terms of recruiting in a few years if Staley sticks around I say she has a few more National titles before she leaves Carolina.
I don't think Geno is a creep, I think he's smug. I'm sure if any of us had won 11 national championships, we would be, too. As far as recruiting is concerned, Tennessee probably still recruits almost as well as UCONN, but they have mediocre coaching. We've dominated the SEC the last 4 years even though we haven't had as much raw talent as Tennessee. MSU hasn't had as much talent as the Vols, either. Let's hope Holly stays their a lot longer.
Old 03-14-2018, 07:24 PM   #43
bbbbookert
4-Star

Male

bbbbookert has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockhornleghorn View Post
I don't think Geno is a creep, I think he's smug. I'm sure if any of us had won 11 national championships, we would be, too. As far as recruiting is concerned, Tennessee probably still recruits almost as well as UCONN, but they have mediocre coaching. We've dominated the SEC the last 4 years even though we haven't had as much raw talent as Tennessee. MSU hasn't had as much talent as the Vols, either. Let's hope Holly stays their a lot longer.
That rennia davis at Tennessee is scary i hope holly stays there but if not shes a star...
bbbbookert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 07:39 PM   #44
allnet43
Recruit

Male

allnet43 is sharpening his clawsallnet43 is sharpening his clawsallnet43 is sharpening his clawsallnet43 is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbbookert View Post
That rennia davis at Tennessee is scary i hope holly stays there but if not shes a star...
Yea, she going to be a good one, Lele can handle her............
allnet43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 09:55 AM   #45
VBCock
4-Star

Male

VBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his combVBCock is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by allnet43 View Post
I know their record, the point is they didnít just get the best players from day one, at some point after years of building their program they started to get top players, maybe it started with Lobo and then the following year with Rizzotti. And they continued to build on that, like you said when Tennessee was the team. Itís fine to understand the talent difference but a ďitís not fairĒ outlook isnít going to help us in anyway whatsoever...........jmo

I just think he's a great coach with a great system who slowly built an elite program. As they won consistently, they recruited better. They broke through with a title. They stayed elite. They ascended the dynastic throne as Tennessee fell off.

Now he curates talent. He goes out and looks for the best players who fit what he wants to do and he gets them. Then he coaches them extremely well and puts them in a position to win.

He's spoken on what South Carolina would have to do before. He basically said you have to expand your recruiting nationally. You can't be regional if you want to do what he's done.

Staley does try and she's made progress, but its still a fairly regional proposition.
VBCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 11:40 AM   #46
DorchesterGamecock
Game MVP

Male

DorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot materialDorchesterGamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBCock View Post
I just think he's a great coach with a great system who slowly built an elite program. As they won consistently, they recruited better. They broke through with a title. They stayed elite. They ascended the dynastic throne as Tennessee fell off.

Now he curates talent. He goes out and looks for the best players who fit what he wants to do and he gets them. Then he coaches them extremely well and puts them in a position to win.

He's spoken on what South Carolina would have to do before. He basically said you have to expand your recruiting nationally. You can't be regional if you want to do what he's done.

Staley does try and she's made progress, but its still a fairly regional proposition.
Great post. Yes I remember that interview where he specifically laid out what SC needs to do going forward. I was impressed he knew so much about the program.
DorchesterGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 07:44 PM   #47
AmonRa777
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 5500
AmonRa777 is USC mascot materialAmonRa777 is USC mascot materialAmonRa777 is USC mascot materialAmonRa777 is USC mascot materialAmonRa777 is USC mascot materialAmonRa777 is USC mascot materialAmonRa777 is USC mascot materialAmonRa777 is USC mascot materialAmonRa777 is USC mascot materialAmonRa777 is USC mascot materialAmonRa777 is USC mascot material

Ezi Magbegor decides to stay put... Not coming to USA for college ball.. Signed another pro contract is Australia
AmonRa777 is offline   Reply With Quote