CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Captain9Dragons
rt3891
Three and Out
SanAntonioCock
wildwes
Ace Dilcock
Flameout12
FurmanCock
ShutTheSuccop
ELCID14
Dickerson medically (1204)
SEC Media Days
Dickerson medically clear
2019 - Cameron Smith
Discussion: 2019 Recruiti
Traeger Grill - Prime Day
2019 - Jammie Robinson
Question About Record Pla
Gamecock Jordan brand?
National Hot Dog Day
Jovaughn Gwyn is strong

Old 05-25-2018, 09:52 PM   #21
Flameout12
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Culture climb: The steady progress of Gamecock football

Quote:
Originally Posted by scfanz View Post
Back then the really big TV money wasn't in college football yet and there really wasn't a need to be in a conference, and there were some perks for being an independent.
Yea, I don't know if there was any real big TV money in sports in the '70's and '80's....and ESPN was just getting started.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 11:35 PM   #22
BlueHerons
Blue Chip

Female

CockyCash: 200
BlueHerons rules the CockPitBlueHerons rules the CockPitBlueHerons rules the CockPitBlueHerons rules the CockPitBlueHerons rules the CockPitBlueHerons rules the CockPitBlueHerons rules the CockPitBlueHerons rules the CockPitBlueHerons rules the CockPitBlueHerons rules the CockPitBlueHerons rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocky Doodle View Post
I was at usc when sparky was coach - hey, at least we had Tanneyhill and Bennet over the top to break their hearts!
No one had a better mullet than Steve Tanneyhill. I used to swoon when I would run into him in Five Points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flameout12 View Post
...And Big George. We got a lot of TV exposure that was pretty rare back in those days.
Back then, all the games were at night through September because it was so hot out. We didn't play any day games until sometime in October.

Can you imagine us now setting up the schedule because of weather?

Even here in South Florida I can find every single one of our games on TV. Back then it was a rarity even in Myrtle Beach and our local NBC station was actually WIS out of Columbia.
BlueHerons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 10:26 AM   #23
Flameout12
Heisman Candidate

Male

Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHerons View Post
Even here in South Florida I can find every single one of our games on TV. Back then it was a rarity even in Myrtle Beach and our local NBC station was actually WIS out of Columbia.
Crazy isn't it? I used to watch a lot of tater football because they were almost always on the Jefferson Pilot game of the week.
Old 05-26-2018, 10:39 AM   #24
Spur's Addiction
Been caught moddin'

Male

CockyCash: 1001856
Spur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot material
Default Culture climb: The steady progress of Gamecock football

Growing up in the 80ís you either went to the games or listened to Bob Fulton on the radio. My family didnít have the cash to go to games so we listened to all the games on the radio. About once or twice a year ( maybe) a game would be televised. I remember watching the FSU game one year when we got blown out.
Old 05-26-2018, 12:00 PM   #25
CockyandProud
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 7450
CockyandProud is USC mascot materialCockyandProud is USC mascot materialCockyandProud is USC mascot materialCockyandProud is USC mascot materialCockyandProud is USC mascot materialCockyandProud is USC mascot materialCockyandProud is USC mascot materialCockyandProud is USC mascot materialCockyandProud is USC mascot materialCockyandProud is USC mascot materialCockyandProud is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spur's Addiction View Post
Growing up in the 80ís you either went to the games or listened to Bob Fulton on the radio. My family didnít have the cash to go to games so we listened to all the games on the radio. About once or twice a year ( maybe) a game would be televised. I remember watching the FSU game one year when we got blown out.
The radio was the thing back in the 80's. My dad had no interest in sports at all, so going to a game was out of the question. I remember listening to games every Saturday. Two that stick out were beating Notre Dame, and Florida State. I remember getting fired up knowing something was going to happen as soon as Hold checked into the game.
I also listened to the Braves on the radio almost every day. We didn't have cable, and the Braves were on TBS. I remember Bob Horner's 4 homer game like it was yesterday.
CockyandProud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 12:35 PM   #26
PalmettoG27
Kryptonian

Male

CockyCash: 5500
PalmettoG27 rules the CockPitPalmettoG27 rules the CockPitPalmettoG27 rules the CockPitPalmettoG27 rules the CockPitPalmettoG27 rules the CockPitPalmettoG27 rules the CockPitPalmettoG27 rules the CockPitPalmettoG27 rules the CockPitPalmettoG27 rules the CockPitPalmettoG27 rules the CockPitPalmettoG27 rules the CockPit

It took Spurrier coming here to show everyone we can be a serious program. And that was him half trying.
It was very frustrating growing up a Carolina fan knowing the university had the means to be a successful program. But seemed content with being a losing one. There was even no pressure from the fans who as a collective bunch had the happy go lucky aw shucks wait till next season attitude.

It looks like that’s changing now and I’m glad we are over that hump that lasted hundreds of years. Starts with hiring coaches who are serious and giving them the resources they need.

Last edited by PalmettoG27; 05-26-2018 at 12:48 PM..
PalmettoG27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 12:49 PM   #27
rt3891
ISLAND COCK

Male

CockyCash: 3000
rt3891 is developing his combrt3891 is developing his combrt3891 is developing his combrt3891 is developing his combrt3891 is developing his combrt3891 is developing his combrt3891 is developing his combrt3891 is developing his combrt3891 is developing his combrt3891 is developing his comb

Quote:
Growing up in the 80’s you either went to the games or listened to Bob Fulton on the radio. My family didn’t have the cash to go to games so we listened to all the games on the radio. About once or twice a year ( maybe) a game would be televised. I remember watching the FSU game one year when we got blown out.
Yeah, remember that FSU game very vividly in 88, one of the duller memories from that time period. I had some fond ones though. Listening to Bob Fulton was always a treat. You know he would be pulling for Carolina, but he would always be respectful to who we were playing. If you were pulling for the team that was playing us, you could listen to Fulton’s play by play and not sense so much biased.
rt3891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 12:57 PM   #28
rt3891
ISLAND COCK

Male

rt3891 is developing his combrt3891 is developing his combrt3891 is developing his combrt3891 is developing his combrt3891 is developing his combrt3891 is developing his combrt3891 is developing his combrt3891 is developing his combrt3891 is developing his combrt3891 is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmettoG27 View Post
It took Spurrier coming here to show everyone we can be a serious program. And that was him half trying.
It was very frustrating growing up a Carolina fan knowing the university had the means to be a successful program. But seemed content with being a losing one. There was even no pressure from the fans who as a collective bunch had the happy go lucky aw shucks wait till next season attitude.

It looks like thatís changing now and Iím glad we are over that hump that lasted hundreds of years. Starts with hiring coaches who are serious and giving them the resources they need.
Yeah, before Spurrier, we supposedly had just one million+ $ donor, and that was Mrs. Brice. He did change that, with facilities, etc. Boom appears to be taking the torch and running with it now, even more than Spurrier did. With the recruiting picking up and coaching upgrades, our near future is looking as bright as it has in quite a while.
Old 05-26-2018, 01:03 PM   #29
donniebaseball
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 1500
donniebaseball has developed his gaff and talonsdonniebaseball has developed his gaff and talonsdonniebaseball has developed his gaff and talonsdonniebaseball has developed his gaff and talonsdonniebaseball has developed his gaff and talonsdonniebaseball has developed his gaff and talonsdonniebaseball has developed his gaff and talonsdonniebaseball has developed his gaff and talonsdonniebaseball has developed his gaff and talonsdonniebaseball has developed his gaff and talonsdonniebaseball has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocky Doodle View Post
I was at usc when sparky was coach - hey, at least we had Tanneyhill and Bennet over the top to break their hearts!
BOOM!!!
donniebaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 01:45 PM   #30
Gamecocks0197
Game MVP

Male

Gamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot material

Another factor that I don't think has been mentioned yet is Harris Pastides. He might be the first University president that has invested this much in the football program and in the athletic program in general.

Academics is obviously his priority, but he has made clear that athletics are also extremely important to the well-being of the university. He has helped change the "we are who we are" mentality not only in football/athletics, but for the University of South Carolina as a whole.
Old 05-26-2018, 01:48 PM   #31
Gamecocks0197
Game MVP

Male

Gamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt3891 View Post
Yeah, before Spurrier, we supposedly had just one million+ $ donor, and that was Mrs. Brice. He did change that, with facilities, etc. Boom appears to be taking the torch and running with it now, even more than Spurrier did. With the recruiting picking up and coaching upgrades, our near future is looking as bright as it has in quite a while.
It hurts knowing that even with all Steve did he could have done more. But at the rate in which Muschamp is doing things, it's hard not to get excited. Everyone is fully invested now - a mindset that Steve had to build.
Old 05-26-2018, 01:49 PM   #32
Spur's Addiction
Been caught moddin'

Male

CockyCash: 1001856
Spur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot material

I remember playing backyard football with kids in the neighborhood on saturdays while listening to the game on the radio.
Old 05-26-2018, 05:09 PM   #33
Flameout12
Heisman Candidate

Male

Quote:
Growing up in the 80ís you either went to the games or listened to Bob Fulton on the radio.
There was no doubt when you turned the dial and heard Bob Fulton that there was a Gamecock game in play. His voice was forever.
Old 05-28-2018, 12:16 AM   #34
Eug Cock
Old Dixie Youth

Male

CockyCash: 500
Eug Cock is USC mascot materialEug Cock is USC mascot materialEug Cock is USC mascot materialEug Cock is USC mascot materialEug Cock is USC mascot materialEug Cock is USC mascot materialEug Cock is USC mascot materialEug Cock is USC mascot materialEug Cock is USC mascot materialEug Cock is USC mascot materialEug Cock is USC mascot material

Quote:
I remember playing backyard football with kids in the neighborhood on saturdays while listening to the game on the radio.

Ahhh...the salad days.
I miss the hell out of Bob Fulton.

"We follow the rules here."
-Boom

"Our history is not all that super before we got here..."
-HBC
Eug Cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 07:47 AM   #35
Take-a-Knee
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 10000
Take-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot material

Quote:
There was no doubt when you turned the dial and heard Bob Fulton that there was a Gamecock game in play. His voice was forever.
Agree , you could find Gamecock Football on the local radio anywhere in SC, no cell phones and most night games . Just cruise around listening .. I think I enjoyed radio as well as TV , all those Gamecock night games with Fulton on the radio seemed like a magic time ..
Take-a-Knee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 10:56 AM   #36
Flameout12
Heisman Candidate

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Take-a-Knee View Post
...all those Gamecock night games with Fulton on the radio seemed like a magic time ..
It was magical. Radio-only left something to your imagination and the game seemed like it was being played in some big majestic place far, far away.

Here's some samples of Bob I found on YouTube.

Old 05-28-2018, 11:13 AM   #37
rt3891
ISLAND COCK

Male

Quote:
It was magical. Radio-only left something to your imagination and the game seemed like it was being played in some big majestic place far, far away.

Here's some samples of Bob I found on YouTube.

Bob was awesome, brings back memories.
Old 05-28-2018, 12:26 PM   #38
Wisercock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Wisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt3891 View Post
I can't wait to see if our offensive line is improved and what Werner brings to the table. The entire time Roper was here I felt like Bentley was under coached. I can't wait to see what he can do with a veteran QB coach on the sidelines.
Old 05-28-2018, 03:18 PM   #39
Dizzy01
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 10900
Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster'srule View Post
I remember riding my bike up to Jewelry Warehouse on Broad River road to buy that single.

The turnaround really started with Lou and Hyman. Lou was the first one to publicly say the facilities sucked and Hyman started doing something about it.
Dizzy01 is offline   Reply With Quote