CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > Fowl Shots

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Order 66
2k15
CockyLifer
SC Gamecock
FurmanCock
Cockypantherfan
Senior Rooster
Blackland
GregoryHouse
Garnet&BlackOp
THIS IS WHAT WE DO. (1025)
We're going have our (900)
Johnathan Gipson (532)
Old Dominion upsets (312)
Radio Station in Gre (283)
CockyGaming’s way to (236)
AAC (186)
Lamb on the grill (156)
CockyGaming’s way to earl
We're going have our hand
THIS IS WHAT WE DO.
2020 Commitment - Mecose
2019 Commitment - Ryan Hi
Week 4: Around College Fo
**USC (1-1) vs. Vanderbil
Sure, it's a long shot
Bama vs _____
Old Dominion upsets Virgi

Old 06-12-2018, 10:50 AM   #321
BringBackGarcia
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 1000
BringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot material
Default Re: Bowen declares for NBA draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancelot View Post
There isn't really anything to bring down though. The NCAA is composed of its member schools. The NCAA board of governor is comprised of university presidents and ADs. All that has to happen for the NCAA to go away is for the schools to make it go away.
Perhaps he meant more a restructuring. I still feel like the Power 5 conference have outgrown the NCAA, but the ease of staying with a governing body is alluring.

What the NCAA does wrong is 1. oversteps their mission statement and 2. has no consistency or expectations in process.

Bowen maybe guilty, and his dad made a mistake, but that's not the issue. He may have had to be suspended for 2 years or none. That's not really the point. He was denied a timely resolution to his case which in turn caused him to forgo a scholarship education with little to no chance of being drafted. I understand the criminal case is ongoing but those are two separate issues. If you have enough evidence to have an open case, it seems reasonable that a decision about a kid's eligibility be made within a month. Otherwise, you're dragging out a case where you hope something more might come up. And maybe more will, and that's a risk, but to hold a decision over a kid's future is just messed up.
BringBackGarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 10:51 AM   #322
Wisercock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 20000
Wisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot material

I don't think I've ever seen a situation where a young man was screwed as many different ways as Brian Bowen has been for something a parent actually did at the start. I mean if there was any evidence Brian knew and went along with it then I can see the justice. But to my knowledge there is no such evidence. He was a complete victim of circumstance.

Even if he knew this is too punitive.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:33 AM   #323
Lancelot
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
Lancelot is USC mascot materialLancelot is USC mascot materialLancelot is USC mascot materialLancelot is USC mascot materialLancelot is USC mascot materialLancelot is USC mascot materialLancelot is USC mascot materialLancelot is USC mascot materialLancelot is USC mascot materialLancelot is USC mascot materialLancelot is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackGarcia View Post
Perhaps he meant more a restructuring. I still feel like the Power 5 conference have outgrown the NCAA, but the ease of staying with a governing body is alluring.

What the NCAA does wrong is 1. oversteps their mission statement and 2. has no consistency or expectations in process.

Bowen maybe guilty, and his dad made a mistake, but that's not the issue. He may have had to be suspended for 2 years or none. That's not really the point. He was denied a timely resolution to his case which in turn caused him to forgo a scholarship education with little to no chance of being drafted. I understand the criminal case is ongoing but those are two separate issues. If you have enough evidence to have an open case, it seems reasonable that a decision about a kid's eligibility be made within a month. Otherwise, you're dragging out a case where you hope something more might come up. And maybe more will, and that's a risk, but to hold a decision over a kid's future is just messed up.
I wholeheartedly agree. The problem, though, lies in the fact that the NCAA is composed of the member schools. In order for anything to change. you'd have to have to enough schools of consequence decide things needed to change. The entrenched blue bloods are in bed with the NCAA and have no motivation to upset the status quo. It seem particularly corrupt in basketball, but the inequities exist in football as well. For instance, the way the Cam Newton case was handled.

If you got rid of the NCAA it would just be replaced with another governing body, once again made of the member schools and presided over by their ADs and presidents. It wouldn't be long before you were in the same situation.
Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 01:18 PM   #324
crowcutta
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 6000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotrice? View Post
The reason they're using is the transfer rule. They're saying the suspension for the AU players began at the start of last season. They're saying that the suspension for Bowen would begin January of 2019 because he'd be ineligible due to the transfer rules until then without a waiver. It's bullshit but that's their reasoning.
so basically he since he transferred away from the dirty school, he gets twice the punishment.

it looks like he wants to maintain his draft eligibility for next year, play g-league or overseas this year go back through the predraft process next year and hopefully get drafted.
crowcutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 03:26 PM   #325
Take-a-Knee
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1010000
Take-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc455 View Post
I blame his dad..all this trouble for 19k..1i bet they have a rocky relationship.
His dad is to blame, Adidas knows better, the NCAA doesn't care and the kid takes the fall .. Adidas needs to have the socks sued off them .. I'm not one for frivolous lawsuits but the NCAA can stop the big companies if they want to ....
The NCAA should have by now reasonably set punishment expectations that don't need month after the fact .. You might not catch all the rogue alumnis
but they could help the kids and stop the crap from the big organizations quick if they wanted ..
Take-a-Knee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 03:53 PM   #326
GregoryHouse
Pompous Ass Hillbilly

Male

CockyCash: 5010459
GregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc455 View Post
I blame his dad..all this trouble for 19k..1i bet they have a rocky relationship.
I love it and this should be pushed as the (rightful) fault of the parent taking the cash.

Maybe it can be a deterrent for other parents out there that they could screw up their kid's short-term future.

That is a naïve view though and I know most parents say, "we can cheat the system" and do.

Muschamp believes that recruiting within a five-hour radius of USC, "we can recruit good enough players to win the East every year."
GregoryHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 05:09 PM   #327
BringBackGarcia
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 1000
BringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoryHouse View Post
I love it and this should be pushed as the (rightful) fault of the parent taking the cash.

Maybe it can be a deterrent for other parents out there that they could screw up their kid's short-term future.

That is a naïve view though and I know most parents say, "we can cheat the system" and do.
Because nothing makes more sense than punishing children for the sins of their parents.

And from what I read, he's a retired police officer on medical and was offered 100k
BringBackGarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 05:12 PM   #328
LegalCock
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 8000
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

I guess you either have to have the dad disgorge the profits or take away the eligibility.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 02:00 AM   #329
gotrice?
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 20020
gotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to gotrice?

The blow of this was just softened quite a bit with the addition of Lawson. Wish Bowen was going to be on the team next year but this team definitely looks to have some promise regardless.
gotrice? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 08:13 AM   #330
crowcutta
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 6000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

gotta see these guys in action but we have a much more balanced roster now. we had no wing depth and lacked size and athleticism on the wing, should have more ability to create and get to the rim now.
crowcutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 11:59 AM   #331
CoverTwo
If C2 doesn't trust you..

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotrice? View Post
The blow of this was just softened quite a bit with the addition of Lawson. Wish Bowen was going to be on the team next year but this team definitely looks to have some promise regardless.
Silva, Kotsar, Bowen, Lawson, Campbell.

-cries-

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 07:32 AM   #332
Wisercock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 20000
Wisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot material

There's an article out this morning that claims that in a text message Rick Pitino told an assistant coach that Brian (the father) was offered as much as $200,000 to convince his son to attend Depaul.

There was more to this than we thought. (or at least than I thought)

https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...ecruiting-him/
Old 08-07-2018, 03:09 PM   #333
Ironfan
Household Name

CockyCash: 1600
Ironfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot material

Signed Pro contract in Australia
Ironfan is online now   Reply With Quote