CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
rt3891
Three and Out
Spur's Addiction
etowngangsta
GamecockInHell
cockyguitar
CaptainCock91
kevhugh
Bigshorebird
Senior Rooster
AP Top 25 poll (943)
HS football and brai (927)
Yelow Stripey Things (465)
Regarding Streaming (365)
CBS Inside College F (301)
Season Tickets (284)
Regarding Streaming (211)
HS football and brai (40)
Looking for a spot i (30)
2 tickets for sale f (8)
AP Top 25 poll
Rico Dowdle
Tavyn Jackson
2 tickets for sale for Ma
2019 - Quavaris Crouch
Season Tickets
Bryan Edwards is the Punt
Surprised no one is talki
2019 - Jakai Moore
2019 - PG Josiah James (M

Closed Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 09:36 AM   #181
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 1472263
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Josh Belk

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid99 View Post
He HATED Clemson = statement of fact. That wasn't the reason for the unconditional release.
Probably isn't a coincidence that he was considered a "gamecock lock" (before committing to Clemson) and now rumored as having not liked Clemson. Now you see him liking every gamecock tweet. Sounds like he's back home at USC where he should be.

Hope everything with his family is ok.
Old 05-17-2018, 09:37 AM   #182
Master Bedroom
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 10500
Master Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotrice? View Post
That's what the lawyer is for, he helped Belk force Clemson's hand. Clemson had 2 choices in this situation, unconditional release or a PR cluster**** with an instate kid. They went with the unconditional release because it was the smart call for them in comparison with the other choice.
Option 3, the blessings of st dabo
Old 05-17-2018, 09:42 AM   #183
ba55nec4r
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
ba55nec4r is USC mascot materialba55nec4r is USC mascot materialba55nec4r is USC mascot materialba55nec4r is USC mascot materialba55nec4r is USC mascot materialba55nec4r is USC mascot materialba55nec4r is USC mascot materialba55nec4r is USC mascot materialba55nec4r is USC mascot materialba55nec4r is USC mascot materialba55nec4r is USC mascot material

Old 05-17-2018, 10:02 AM   #184
cocky0

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Fark of the Year Christmas Farking Contest: Christmas Farking Contest - Given for: Winning Farking Contest 
CockyCash: 9890000
cocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to cocky0

No matter how you spin it, being allowed to leave Clemons to go to USC is probably the greatest gift one can give.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:37 AM   #185
CockNJersey
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 5533
CockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot material

Nobody here knows the details, but I sure hope his lawyer didn’t fabricate or exaggerate a health situation in the family. I know were all glad because it’s a recruit we desperately wanted and who spurned us for Clemson. But, rules are rules. Dabo was well within his rights not to grant an unconditional release. You think there’s a chance in heck Champ would allow one of our top incoming players to just transfer to Clemson? No freaking way.

If the situation is legit, that’s one thing. But if he truly did have to get a lawyer involved, it seems it wasn’t straightforward. There’s no way Dabo would have restricted the kid if he had a family member who was truly that sick. Nope.

That said, IF his mom is truly in that poor health, it could make the NCAA look pretty bad not to grant him a waiver.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:41 AM   #186
CapitolCock
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000002258
CapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Bedroom View Post
lol I'm sure you did
Yeah. I did. Posting it here would only throw gasoline on the fire though, and I'm not going to do that for the sake of speculation.

It's nothing Belk did though, to be clear. I'm glad he's getting out of the situation he was in. And IF what I heard is true, then even better for him to be removed from it all.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:44 AM   #187
Lonnie
Band

Male

CockyCash: 2001
Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

There's is more to this story. How many transfer players do you know that have announced their release via an Attorney?

Tiger fans better buckle up. Things are about to get bumpy...

NSFW Audio....

Old 05-17-2018, 10:49 AM   #188
wincocks84
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 4775
wincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot material

My thinking is that if someone doesn't want to do something or be somewhere, be it work, school or wherever, then they should get out. They are only hindering those around them.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:51 AM   #189
TakeEM
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
TakeEM has earned his spursTakeEM has earned his spursTakeEM has earned his spursTakeEM has earned his spursTakeEM has earned his spursTakeEM has earned his spurs

Would it be some type of violation to "recruit" a kid that is enrolled at another school? I'm willing to bet someone on USC's staff was talking with him....
Old 05-17-2018, 10:52 AM   #190
Wisercock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 5500
Wisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosterdude21 View Post
Man, I just feel bad for the kid. I can't imagine how completely unimportant football must be to him right now. Prayers to him and his family.
Post of the day.

I feel the same way.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:54 AM   #191
Master Bedroom
Heisman Candidate

Male

Master Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitolCock View Post
Yeah. I did. Posting it here would only throw gasoline on the fire though, and I'm not going to do that for the sake of speculation.

It's nothing Belk did though, to be clear. I'm glad he's getting out of the situation he was in. And IF what I heard is true, then even better for him to be removed from it all.
Yea but dabo is the good guy here, fuq outta here
Old 05-17-2018, 10:59 AM   #192
Wisercock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Wisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJCatfish View Post
This is not accurate. A hardship waiver relates to the restriction on five years of eligibility. See NCAA Rule 12.8.4.3.

People mix up all these things all the time, but they are very different.

1) Eligibility: This means you are allowed to play sports in the year. If you transfer, you generally are not eligible to play unless an exception applies. The one-time transfer exception doesn't apply to football, and none of other exceptions appear to apply to Belk. So he's not eligible for inter-collegiate play until 2019 season.

2) Financial aid. For a transfer, the second school (us in this case) can only give financial aid the first year if the first school (Clemson here) grants the student a release. So Belk could get a scholarship here.

3) Five-year rule. In general, a student has five years to play four seasons. Under VERY limited circumstances, a "hardship waiver" can be given to grant a sixth year of eligibility. The hardship waiver does not apply to students that haven't already completed five years, it's a completely different thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchcock View Post
Doesn’t apply to him. He has to sit out a year.

I believe the only exception is family hardship, which the NCAA doesn’t want to grant regularly. I believe Corey Helms tried using family hardship when he transferred here, but was either turned down or stalled until he had to redshirt.
That's the way I read the transfer rule too. He can be on scholarship, but he cannot play until 2019.

I may have missed it, but I did not see any kind of hardship exemption for football players which would allow them to transfer and be eligible to play right away. The "first transfer rule" does not apply to football players, and the other listed exemptions do not apply in this case. The fact that his mother is ill is irrelevant to his eligibility to play right away.

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/fi...r_20170721.pdf
Old 05-17-2018, 11:05 AM   #193
Wisercock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockNJersey View Post
Nobody here knows the details, but I sure hope his lawyer didn’t fabricate or exaggerate a health situation in the family. I know were all glad because it’s a recruit we desperately wanted and who spurned us for Clemson. But, rules are rules. Dabo was well within his rights not to grant an unconditional release. You think there’s a chance in heck Champ would allow one of our top incoming players to just transfer to Clemson? No freaking way.

If the situation is legit, that’s one thing. But if he truly did have to get a lawyer involved, it seems it wasn’t straightforward. There’s no way Dabo would have restricted the kid if he had a family member who was truly that sick. Nope.

That said, IF his mom is truly in that poor health, it could make the NCAA look pretty bad not to grant him a waiver.
NM
Old 05-17-2018, 11:09 AM   #194
carolina_corpsman
1st Team All-American

Male

carolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Bedroom View Post
Yea but dabo is the good guy here, fuq outta here
Hes such a good family guy that it took a lawyer to get him to release Belk...
Old 05-17-2018, 11:10 AM   #195
Wisercock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincocks84 View Post
My thinking is that if someone doesn't want to do something or be somewhere, be it work, school or wherever, then they should get out. They are only hindering those around them.
I don't think that is what happened. I think he got to campus and didn't like it and probably reached out to some 3rd parties about what to do. If he initiated the process and contacted SC indirectly about a transfer it shouldn't be a violation.

Edit: Sorry, I quoted the wrong post. I meant to reply to TakeEM's post above. (#189)
Old 05-17-2018, 11:10 AM   #196
BringBackGarcia
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 0
BringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincocks84 View Post
That's how I feel and would feel even if this dude was at USC. Why would you want someone on your team who's not committed to you? Who wants to be anywhere else?

And I also think the loophole b.s. of using financial aid money as ploy to keep kids from going to certain schools is not only garbage but is clearly discriminatory. If you're poor or can't afford the student loans to redshirt a year at the college you want to be but the next guy who has money can, then it's a pretty clear punitive method by universities.

Finally, I don't mean this to sound callous and I hope that his family is fine, but that's a side issue to me. It may have forced Dabo's hand, but that shouldn't have to be the case. To me, it doesn't matter if Belk hated Clemson or his mother is sick or he has girl problems--he wants to transfer he should be clear to transfer anywhere and accept the NCAA penalty, not the extra punishment from the original school.

And I would say the same thing about a dude from USC. Would I think he's a complete traitor? Yes. But it doesn't mean he shouldn't have the option to be one.

As far as the lawyer, it doesn't mean anything more to me than Belk and his family are intelligent and realize this requires careful maneuvering and support. It's a multimillion dollar business on the backs of 18-22 year old kids who have no representation--you'd be a fool not to have a personal lawyer.
Old 05-17-2018, 11:11 AM   #197
carolina_corpsman
1st Team All-American

Male

carolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockNJersey View Post
Nobody here knows the details, but I sure hope his lawyer didnít fabricate or exaggerate a health situation in the family. I know were all glad because itís a recruit we desperately wanted and who spurned us for Clemson. But, rules are rules. Dabo was well within his rights not to grant an unconditional release. You think thereís a chance in heck Champ would allow one of our top incoming players to just transfer to Clemson? No freaking way.

If the situation is legit, thatís one thing. But if he truly did have to get a lawyer involved, it seems it wasnít straightforward. Thereís no way Dabo would have restricted the kid if he had a family member who was truly that sick. Nope.

No coach can block a player from transferring, the most they can do is block them from receiving a scholarship for a year.
Old 05-17-2018, 11:15 AM   #198
Wisercock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Longer term this might help SC with future in-state recruits who might stop and think rather than jump as soon as they are offered by Clemson.

I'm really liking our position long term with Muschamp as our coach. He is the real deal.
Old 05-17-2018, 11:15 AM   #199
Master Bedroom
Heisman Candidate

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_corpsman View Post
Hes such a good family guy that it took a lawyer to get him to release Belk...
A kid they bribed to come to their school to begin with. Anyone who falls for his shtick needs their head checked
Old 05-17-2018, 11:17 AM   #200
Greyrooster
4 Star

Male

Greyrooster rules the CockPitGreyrooster rules the CockPitGreyrooster rules the CockPitGreyrooster rules the CockPitGreyrooster rules the CockPitGreyrooster rules the CockPitGreyrooster rules the CockPitGreyrooster rules the CockPitGreyrooster rules the CockPitGreyrooster rules the CockPitGreyrooster rules the CockPit

Hopefully when the dust settles and his release is fully complete, this young man will be wearing Garnet and Black!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk