CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Blitzkrieg
Three and Out
pitchcock
Master Bedroom
sharpe0284
GuyInTheGreenHouse
The Yancey
GeoCocky66
EAtMoRTaYtErz
TRBTB
Diamond Deshields le (594)
SEC Football Coaches (585)
Mizzo to rent out do (536)
Archie's take on Jak (447)
Oh, Hello on Netflix (248)
Mizzo to rent out dorm ro
Football team at Fort Jac
Discussion: 2018 Recruiti
2018 - Jaycee Horn
Official Baseball Coachin
Diamond Deshields leaving
SEC Football Coaches Appr
Dozier Signs With the Lak
2018 - Israel Mukuamu
2018 - Dax Hollifield

Old 06-21-2017, 09:18 AM   #1281
Wisercock
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
Wisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot material
Default Re: Discussion: 2018 Recruiting Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchcock View Post
Hope so.

Having key guys commit early can lead to other key guys following. While it may have helped if he'd publicly committed a few months ago, I fully understand the reasoning why he waited until Fathers Day. It was a great gesture of respect for his Dad. We have a LOT of time until Signing Day, he has plenty of time to talk with other players.

CWM hasn't to this point been able to show some of our dubious fan base why he's nicknamed "Flipper". If we're able to show continued progress from last year, I wouldn't be surprised a bit to see him sway one or two guys that may be committed or "all in" at other programs

He's addressing some of the demons that haunted him at UF offensively, while completely revamping what was a moribund defense. There's people here who for some reason want to bitch and complain about what he's doing, but I'm impressed, if we can avoid catastrophic injuries the future is very bright.
I don't think it is possible overstate how bad our defense had become. We had some guys with talent, but not enough of them (no depth) and there were just too many places on the starting 11 where we had gaping holes. (figuratively and literally) We were constantly trying to cover up those weaknesses which created more holes in the defense. We were like the Little Dutch Boy plugging holes in the dike.

Offensively, we were getting pretty bad too. We have some good skill guys now but the offensive line is still a question mark. But I have a suspicion that what we see this fall will be very different than what we have seen on offense the last couple of years. If the line can block in harmony (we don't have to run over people - though that would be nice too) with our skill guys - especially the QB - we could be looking at a record breaking offense.
Old 06-21-2017, 11:52 AM   #1282
Cockygaming
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 744
Cockygaming is crowing loudlyCockygaming is crowing loudlyCockygaming is crowing loudlyCockygaming is crowing loudlyCockygaming is crowing loudlyCockygaming is crowing loudlyCockygaming is crowing loudlyCockygaming is crowing loudlyCockygaming is crowing loudlyCockygaming is crowing loudlyCockygaming is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisercock View Post
I don't think it is possible overstate how bad our defense had become. We had some guys with talent, but not enough of them (no depth) and there were just too many places on the starting 11 where we had gaping holes. (figuratively and literally) We were constantly trying to cover up those weaknesses which created more holes in the defense. We were like the Little Dutch Boy plugging holes in the dike.

Offensively, we were getting pretty bad too. We have some good skill guys now but the offensive line is still a question mark. But I have a suspicion that what we see this fall will be very different than what we have seen on offense the last couple of years. If the line can block in harmony (we don't have to run over people - though that would be nice too) with our skill guys - especially the QB - we could be looking at a record breaking offense.
I think we will be much improved this fall. Does that translate into wins? Only time will tell.
Cockygaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 02:08 PM   #1283
Wisercock
Game MVP

Male

Wisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockygaming View Post
I think we will be much improved this fall. Does that translate into wins? Only time will tell.
I agree with that. We might be able to put up some points but we have to be able to stop people and get the ball back.
Old 06-21-2017, 02:26 PM   #1284
Ace Dilcock
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 650
Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material

Quote:

Ah, the standard "good skill guys" and "Offensive line is a question mark" post. We had a veteran O Line and an extremely young group of skill guys - and the O Line is the ? Maybe the inexperience at the skill positions caused a lot of the O Line problems??

You are setting the O Line up to get the blame again. If Bentley and his mates have eliminated some mistakes and we have a better Offense, the credit will go to their skill and abilities. But the first time that Bentley holds onto the ball too long, or misses a read, or a WR runs the wrong route, or does not get open, or the TE does not stay in to block the blitzer, you will be back to screaming at the O Line again.
Ace Dilcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 04:29 PM   #1285
powercock
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 162000
powercock is crowing loudlypowercock is crowing loudlypowercock is crowing loudlypowercock is crowing loudlypowercock is crowing loudlypowercock is crowing loudlypowercock is crowing loudlypowercock is crowing loudlypowercock is crowing loudlypowercock is crowing loudlypowercock is crowing loudly

If USC can land Wynn, Sandidge and Henry! That would be a sick DLine!
Old 06-22-2017, 06:56 PM   #1286
Three and Out
Two Deep

Male

Three and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by powercock View Post
If USC can land Wynn, Sandidge and Henry! That would be a sick DLine!
This isn't going to happen. But we have a good shot at getting Wynn and Sandidge.
Three and Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 11:37 PM   #1287
Three and Out
Two Deep

Male

Three and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudly

Still waiting on confirmation of Nixon, Carty and Rhodes enrolling for Summer II.
Old Yesterday, 12:39 AM   #1288
SC Sandlapper
Mr. 10,000

Male

CockyCash: 1650
SC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot material

Quote:

So true, and you do not have to convince me. It was PAINFUL to watch our team in 2015. I have never seen a defense look as lost as that unit, DB's running around covering no one, LB's biting on every fake and guessing wrong play after play.

Some glimmers of hope last year and clearly we had not arrived, but I think it will be even better in '17. I'm pleased with how our recruiting is going - on paper - and anxious to see how it plays out on grass.
Old Yesterday, 01:57 AM   #1289
Three and Out
Two Deep

Male

Quote:

I think it is possible to describe how bad our offense had become, but you'd probably get kicked off here to do it.
Old Yesterday, 05:11 PM   #1290
SC Sandlapper
Mr. 10,000

Male

CockyCash: 1650
SC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoCocky66 View Post
Of the 4 stars:

Channing Tindall and (perhaps) Dax Hollifield, both Top 10 lb's.
Dylan Wonnum: Top 100 overall OT (going to be long battle with several others, but we're in it)
Josh Vann (looks to be a battle with UGa at this point)
Jaycee Horn (ongoing battle with Alabama and perhaps others)

Trey Dean (UGa has all the CB's, but we're still reasonably in there).
Rick Sandidge (wide open, but we 'lead' with a bunch of old CB's; I'm not feeling real confident, though)

You can toss in high 3 star JUCO linemen Dorian Gerald, Jabari Ellis and Dantrell Barkley, plus LaVonte Valentine and a few others.

I'm probably forgetting some, and we're obviously not going to get all of them, but there will also almost undoubtedly be other names that surface as the summer and fall move on. Give me Tindall, Hollifield, and Wonnum plus half of the others and I'll be happy (especially if Horn and Sandidge are included!). As several people noted above, it will be interesting to see what impact Kereon will have on the class now that he's signed.
That is a great recap but to me the latest poster child (man-child) for Juco players is already signed and enrolled: Kinlaw. He's a Juco guy who is expected to have an immediate impact in a position of great need. I don't agree with the previous poster's comment that signing Juco players is risky or less successful. I don't see someone like Kinlaw as any sort of gamble, I think he's money in the bank.
Old Yesterday, 06:06 PM   #1291
wincocks84
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 275
wincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot material

Having Skai back should boost the confidence of the new players. It helps to have a veteran out there to tell you what's coming etc. Juco guys can help with this as well. We should be better on defense. Not sure how much better though.
wincocks84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:29 PM   #1292
BiscoCocky
Blue Chip

Male

BiscoCocky is USC mascot materialBiscoCocky is USC mascot materialBiscoCocky is USC mascot materialBiscoCocky is USC mascot materialBiscoCocky is USC mascot materialBiscoCocky is USC mascot materialBiscoCocky is USC mascot materialBiscoCocky is USC mascot materialBiscoCocky is USC mascot materialBiscoCocky is USC mascot materialBiscoCocky is USC mascot material

JUCOS are hot or miss, for every King and Brinkley Bro u can get a Lamin or that other DE I already forget about who was going to be second coming of Clowney. So along as they contribute something positive to the team, keep their noses clean, and go to class I really don't see them as rick or gamble.
BiscoCocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:01 PM   #1293
Three and Out
Two Deep

Male

Anybody heard anything on Marlon Character. I thought he was going to enroll for Summer II.
Old Yesterday, 09:49 PM   #1294
Ace Dilcock
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 650
Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiscoCocky View Post
JUCOS are hot or miss, for every King and Brinkley Bro u can get a Lamin or that other DE I already forget about who was going to be second coming of Clowney. So along as they contribute something positive to the team, keep their noses clean, and go to class I really don't see them as rick or gamble.
You are thinking of Marquavious Lewis. He started both years he was here and was, IMO, our best D lineman over that time.

He is widely regarded as a bust because he was expected to get a lot of sacks and it did not happen. But he was also a Strongside DE that was better against the run. When teams tried to run against us, he was frequently double-teamed. He was picked as the outstanding defender of the Spring game each of his two years.

It is funny how JUCOs can come in and start two years and still be considered flops. HS players can sit on the bench for 2-3 years and be considered successes if they start as Juniors or Seniors. It makes no sense.

The miss rate is as high or higher for HS Seniors but no one ever questions why we go after them. A few more busts like Lewis and we would have a Top 25 Defense.
Ace Dilcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:15 PM   #1295
uscGRAD04
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 833
uscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot material

Does Kinlaw have 4 yrs to play 3? Kinda like Sawyer right?
Old Yesterday, 10:21 PM   #1296
pitchcock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 29776300
pitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Dilcock View Post
You are thinking of Marquavious Lewis. He started both years he was here and was, IMO, our best D lineman over that time.

He is widely regarded as a bust because he was expected to get a lot of sacks and it did not happen. But he was also a Strongside DE that was better against the run. When teams tried to run against us, he was frequently double-teamed. He was picked as the outstanding defender of the Spring game each of his two years.
You're exactly right, Ace.

It was fans who were calling him the "Second Clowney", which wasn't fair to him. The guy played good ball here, and as you noted he was our best DL while he was here.

I honestly think he gets a legit shot at making a NFL roster, either at DE or DT.
pitchcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:19 AM   #1297
Three and Out
Two Deep

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchcock View Post
You're exactly right, Ace.

It was fans who were calling him the "Second Clowney", which wasn't fair to him. The guy played good ball here, and as you noted he was our best DL while he was here.

I honestly think he gets a legit shot at making a NFL roster, either at DE or DT.
I doubt it. Too small for DT, and not nearly quick enough to play DE, can't get off blocks.