CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > Fowl Shots

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
thekob
GregoryHouse
RGHoskins
Captain9Dragons
MountainCock
Wisercock
TastyLicks
AmonRa777
Gamecockman12
SanAntonioCock
OKST MBB dismisses t (656)
*** USC MBB (9-7, 4- (277)
Gamecock Baseball Fa (272)
400 evacuated after (245)
Total lunar eclipse (112)
Bet test (49)
NFL: RAMS @ SAINTS S (19)
CBB: UofSC @ LSU 1/1 (19)
NFL: PATRIOTS @ CHIE (11)
Gavin Bennett 2019 (0)
Coaching changes
Bet test
Gavin Bennett 2019
No longer USC
*** #15 UofSC WBB (12-4,
The Betting Window is OPE
CBB: UofSC @ LSU 1/19 Sat
NFL: PATRIOTS @ CHIEFS Su
NFL: RAMS @ SAINTS Sat 1/
New Football Facility

Old 11-06-2018, 10:52 AM   #121
CoverTwo
If C2 doesn't trust you..

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material
Default Re: Surprised no one is talking about the Jermaine Couisnard situation

So I'm guessing they think he cheated.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 10:59 AM   #122
CapitolCock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1000002258
CapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot material

How do you even "review" if somebody cheated? They can't force him to retake the test and if they didn't catch him in the act, it's pretty difficult to do anything about it. This agency is holding up a kid's academic and athletic career over this?
CapitolCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 11:02 AM   #123
Wisercock
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 20000
Wisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
So I'm guessing they think he cheated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitolCock View Post
How do you even "review" if somebody cheated? They can't force him to retake the test and if they didn't catch him in the act, it's pretty difficult to do anything about it. This agency is holding up a kid's academic and athletic career over this?
Yep. And they are taking their sweet time reviewing it too.
Old 11-06-2018, 11:04 AM   #124
Wisercock
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Wisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot material

Quote:
All they can do is look over the test itself and talk to other test takers and the proctor. They could do that in a week or less.
Old 11-06-2018, 11:24 AM   #125
CapitolCock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1000002258
CapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisercock View Post
All they can do is look over the test itself and talk to other test takers and the proctor. They could do that in a week or less.
Well it's November, and they must have started that in August. So the whole thing seems ridiculous to me. I know you agree, but I just felt like saying it, lol.
CapitolCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 11:38 AM   #126
thumpin big
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 5500
thumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot materialthumpin big is USC mascot material

They probably think he cheated. But since they have no proof, they have decided to delay a decision as their way of punishing him for something they think he did, but can't prove.
thumpin big is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 03:41 PM   #127
Wisercock
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpin big View Post
They probably think he cheated. But since they have no proof, they have decided to delay a decision as their way of punishing him for something they think he did, but can't prove.
Not sure if you were being sarcastic but if that is what they are doing that is just wrong.
Old 11-06-2018, 03:43 PM   #128
Wisercock
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Well it's November, and they must have started that in August. So the whole thing seems ridiculous to me. I know you agree, but I just felt like saying it, lol.
I took the SAT twice. I improved my score by 160 points the second time mainly because I was recovering from the flu the first time I took it and because I took more practice tests. Nobody flagged my score. (This was in 1971. LoL)
Old 11-06-2018, 04:19 PM   #129
VBCock
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
VBCock has developed his gaff and talonsVBCock has developed his gaff and talonsVBCock has developed his gaff and talonsVBCock has developed his gaff and talonsVBCock has developed his gaff and talonsVBCock has developed his gaff and talonsVBCock has developed his gaff and talonsVBCock has developed his gaff and talonsVBCock has developed his gaff and talonsVBCock has developed his gaff and talonsVBCock has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConwayGamecock View Post

The only entities that review the validity of test scores are the testing services themselves, the College Board and ACT.

They can be asked to review the scores by the NCAA Clearing House or by individual universities. Or they can decide to review the scores on their own initiative.

there is no 'college agency' that reviews the test scores of every entering college freshman.

I believe Cloninger is trying to report something I've seen elsewhere, which is that USC has adopted a policy of flagging test scores for every student, athlete or not, who run afoul of certain criteria.

USC likely has this policy because the NCAA will hold the University accountable in the event that a test score is later invalidated. this will include forfeited games, but can also include the NCAA demanding that the University return revenue from NCAA events.

Memphis forfeited a season because Derek Rose's test score was invalidated. They were also required to return money to the NCAA that they received by virtue of the postseason participation.
VBCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 04:22 PM   #130
VBCock
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
VBCock has developed his gaff and talonsVBCock has developed his gaff and talonsVBCock has developed his gaff and talonsVBCock has developed his gaff and talonsVBCock has developed his gaff and talonsVBCock has developed his gaff and talonsVBCock has developed his gaff and talonsVBCock has developed his gaff and talonsVBCock has developed his gaff and talonsVBCock has developed his gaff and talonsVBCock has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:

The testing service has methods they use, which includes investigation of the documentation from the test site, comparison of the responses to surrounding test takers, handwriting analysis and an opportunity of the student to present an explanation for why the score would have increased.
VBCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 04:32 PM   #131
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 118025146
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBCock View Post
The only entities that review the validity of test scores are the testing services themselves, the College Board and ACT.

They can be asked to review the scores by the NCAA Clearing House or by individual universities. Or they can decide to review the scores on their own initiative.

there is no 'college agency' that reviews the test scores of every entering college freshman.

I believe Cloninger is trying to report something I've seen elsewhere, which is that USC has adopted a policy of flagging test scores for every student, athlete or not, who run afoul of certain criteria.

USC likely has this policy because the NCAA will hold the University accountable in the event that a test score is later invalidated. this will include forfeited games, but can also include the NCAA demanding that the University return revenue from NCAA events.

Memphis forfeited a season because Derek Rose's test score was invalidated. They were also required to return money to the NCAA that they received by virtue of the postseason participation.
I agree with you on this: I know of no 3rd-party review entity that reviews all prospective college student's academic qualifying data (grades, test scores) in order to determine that they qualify for a specific institution, autonomously. I do not think that would be legal, to be more to the point.

For ANY entity to review this data, it would have to be done so at the charge of either the NCAA or an individual institution, as an approved "agent" of either source. And for that to happen, to say that Couisnard's situation is NOT the NCAA nor USC is a bit too disingenuous.

I'm thinking that the NCAA's Clearinghouse - now officially called the "Eligibility Center" by the NCAA these days - cleared Couisnard, but USC's admissions has flagged it and has sent it to this 3rd-party entity to follow up on it. So yes it IS in fact, USC that is holding this up......
ConwayGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 11:10 AM   #132
Wisercock
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConwayGamecock View Post
I agree with you on this: I know of no 3rd-party review entity that reviews all prospective college student's academic qualifying data (grades, test scores) in order to determine that they qualify for a specific institution, autonomously. I do not think that would be legal, to be more to the point.

For ANY entity to review this data, it would have to be done so at the charge of either the NCAA or an individual institution, as an approved "agent" of either source. And for that to happen, to say that Couisnard's situation is NOT the NCAA nor USC is a bit too disingenuous.

I'm thinking that the NCAA's Clearinghouse - now officially called the "Eligibility Center" by the NCAA these days - cleared Couisnard, but USC's admissions has flagged it and has sent it to this 3rd-party entity to follow up on it. So yes it IS in fact, USC that is holding this up......
The subcontractor that handles the SAT testing is ETS. They would be the ones who would review his test results. I imagine the ACT has a similar arrangement. There is a .pdf online you can read that explains how it works and how the review of test results work. But basically, it is as VBCock posted above. They also have video cameras in some testing facilities. (not all)
Old 11-10-2018, 11:13 AM   #133
Ironfan
Household Name

CockyCash: 1866792
Ironfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot material

I seriously doubt the kid plays this season, so whats the point in arguing about it anymore.
Ironfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 11:18 AM   #134
Wisercock
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironfan View Post
I seriously doubt the kid plays this season, so whats the point in arguing about it anymore.
I'm beginning to doubt that as well. If he is not playing by January 1st he will not play this year.
Old 11-10-2018, 11:20 AM   #135
Ironfan
Household Name

CockyCash: 1866792
Ironfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisercock View Post
I'm beginning to doubt that as well. If he is not playing by January 1st he will not play this year.
he will not play. This review board will not find anything but they will make him sit a whole year as punishment for"cheating". Which of course they just know he did but cant prove it. Same situation with NCAA and Bowen. Couisnard will redshirt and begin his career next season.
Ironfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 11:18 PM   #136
Cockhornleghorn
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1234631605329
Cockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot material

This is getting ridiculous.
Old 11-26-2018, 12:55 PM   #137
Wisercock
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockhornleghorn View Post
This is getting ridiculous.
I agree. There has to be more to this than a test score.

Usually it means politics are involved.
Old 12-01-2018, 12:09 PM   #138
Pty23
4th Team Bench

Male

CockyCash: 5500
Pty23 is USC mascot materialPty23 is USC mascot materialPty23 is USC mascot materialPty23 is USC mascot materialPty23 is USC mascot materialPty23 is USC mascot materialPty23 is USC mascot materialPty23 is USC mascot materialPty23 is USC mascot materialPty23 is USC mascot materialPty23 is USC mascot material

Any chance someone higher up at Carolina doesn't really want Martin to be successful, & asked for any minor recruiting issues (like Couisnard's) to be flagged? Sounds like a conspiracy theory, but I legitimately can't figure out any good reason why we would do this to ourselves otherwise.
Pty23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 12:20 PM   #139
Cockhornleghorn
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1234631605329
Cockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot material

I don’t think there’s a conspiracy, I just think whatever it is can’t be publicly discussed.