CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
TaySC
Order 66
Garnet&BlackOp
GeoCocky66
carolina_corpsman
gamecock88
kingoftheroost
Cockadoo
CockNJersey
ConwayGamecock
Thank You (669)
Who's the 1* bandit? (643)
BCM and her final ye (235)
NCAAF: CHATTANOOGA A (228)
Furman Basketball (200)
Tailgating for Chatt (132)
NCAAF: NOTRE DAME @ (93)
NCAAF: GEORGIA STATE (88)
NCAAF: IOWA STATE @ (79)
BLACK FRIDAY SHOPPIN (76)
Can We Upset Clemson?
Don't Underestimate Chatt
**USC (5-4) vs. Chattanoo
2019 - Chris Steele
**USC (2-1) vs. Providenc
2019 - Jakai Moore
Week 12: Around College F
2019 - Jaydon Hill - Flor
Discussion: 2020 Recruiti
Red Dead Redemption II

Old 01-06-2018, 01:24 PM   #21
Dizzy01
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 10900
Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material
Default Re: The 2018 BMac led offense will finish top ______ and score _____ points per game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoCocky66 View Post
I don't disagree with the need to get more red zone TD's, but that was only a part of the red zone story this year. Here are a few stats, with NCAA FBS rankings in parentheses:

Red zone attempts: 34 (115th)
Red zone scoring %: 85.3% (58th)
Red zone TD%: 55.3% (91st)
Red zone TD passes: 6 (110th)

Our problem was often an inability to sustain drives into the red zone, reflected in the abysmal number of red zone trips (fewer than 3 per game). We regularly stalled around the 30, forcing Parker to kick 45-55yd FG's. He only missed 1 kick all year from inside the 40, and he suffered at times from poor holds. When we did get inside the 20, we were unable to pass the ball for scores (it almost made long for the days of SOS calling three straight fades to Alshon against Bama in 2009).

If BMac can improve continuity through the midfield and into the redzone and come up with a few better red zone plays (heck throw a fade to Edwards or Ortre once in a while), we can easily pick up 7 pts / game in increased TD efficiency and more made FG's.
Not sure anymore needs to be said.
Dizzy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 01:52 PM   #22
rabid cock
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 24763
rabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot material
Default Re: The 2018 BMac led offense will finish top ______ and score _____ points per game.

The offense will have to be better if for no other reason than our defense is starting to have a killer look to it, which means more 3-and-outs, therefore more possessions for the offense, thus more scoring.

At least top 70 and around 30 points per game.
rabid cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 02:14 PM   #23
Lalli25
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 200
Lalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot material

I think top 85 and 27ppg. Until we can run the ball week in and week out, we will be inconsistent on offense and stall out when the field shortens. If we run the ball with a 4-5 yard average then I think we can be a top 50 O and 30ppg.
Lalli25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 02:16 PM   #24
davisd9
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 450
davisd9 is USC mascot materialdavisd9 is USC mascot materialdavisd9 is USC mascot materialdavisd9 is USC mascot materialdavisd9 is USC mascot materialdavisd9 is USC mascot materialdavisd9 is USC mascot materialdavisd9 is USC mascot materialdavisd9 is USC mascot materialdavisd9 is USC mascot materialdavisd9 is USC mascot material

Top 60 with 33 pts per game. That is at least the top half of the country.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
davisd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 02:21 PM   #25
kingoftheroost
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 100014000
kingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot material

I don't know what other teams are going to do so I won't predict the ranking, but I think we'll end up averaging 28 or 29 ppg. That would be a huge increase over what we did this year. The actual offense averaged 21.17 ppg in the regular season. I only counted the regular season since McClendon wasn't in charge of the offense then. The 28 ppg could end up being conservative since we essentially scored 27 (counting the PAT we didn't attempt) against a pretty good defense in the bowl game.
Old 01-06-2018, 07:58 PM   #26
Three and Out
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 20500
Three and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot material

I don’t care about ranking, if we score 30 per game, we win 10. An even better defense will make a difference by getting off the field and allowing the offense more possessions.
Three and Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 12:09 AM   #27
henmania
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 5500
henmania is USC mascot materialhenmania is USC mascot materialhenmania is USC mascot materialhenmania is USC mascot materialhenmania is USC mascot materialhenmania is USC mascot materialhenmania is USC mascot materialhenmania is USC mascot materialhenmania is USC mascot materialhenmania is USC mascot materialhenmania is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofnerf View Post
The same as this season because it's going to take half of next season to fix our issues on offense.
We will be better in the passing game as Werner alone will help fix that. Despite what some of you think, our OL talent is still subpar which is a big factor in our poor run game. Winford is a good coach and will scheme to help the lack of talent. I just think our run game will hold us back. Still we should show a pulse. Hopefully we won't be painful to watch bc we were on O this year.
henmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 09:15 AM   #28
Garnet Gamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 6200
Garnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot material

With Spurrier, it seemed that the magic number was 34 points and you had yourself a win. If we are going to start going downfield again and will begin to see a much better run game, I think weíll hit 34 frequently. Best part is our defense is going to chew up many teams, frustrating them with Champís ďbend, donít breakĒ defense and many teams wonít get more than 14 points on us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-07-2018, 11:17 AM   #29
atrain3067
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 825000
atrain3067 is USC mascot materialatrain3067 is USC mascot materialatrain3067 is USC mascot materialatrain3067 is USC mascot materialatrain3067 is USC mascot materialatrain3067 is USC mascot materialatrain3067 is USC mascot materialatrain3067 is USC mascot materialatrain3067 is USC mascot materialatrain3067 is USC mascot materialatrain3067 is USC mascot material

Top 50 and 30 points per game.
Old 01-07-2018, 11:39 AM   #30
Three and Out
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 20500
Three and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by henmania View Post
We will be better in the passing game as Werner alone will help fix that. Despite what some of you think, our OL talent is still subpar which is a big factor in our poor run game. Winford is a good coach and will scheme to help the lack of talent. I just think our run game will hold us back. Still we should show a pulse. Hopefully we won't be painful to watch bc we were on O this year.
Hutcherson and Manos/Douglas is an immediate upgrade over Helms and Knott. Did you count how many whiffs Helms had during the bowl, I’m not talking about a miss, I’m talking about a whiff.
Three and Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 11:55 AM   #31
AmonRa777
1st Team All-SEC

Male

AmonRa777 is USC mascot materialAmonRa777 is USC mascot materialAmonRa777 is USC mascot materialAmonRa777 is USC mascot materialAmonRa777 is USC mascot materialAmonRa777 is USC mascot materialAmonRa777 is USC mascot materialAmonRa777 is USC mascot materialAmonRa777 is USC mascot materialAmonRa777 is USC mascot materialAmonRa777 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three and Out View Post
Hutcherson and Manos/Douglas is an immediate upgrade over Helms and Knott. Did you count how many whiffs Helms had during the bowl, Iím not talking about a miss, Iím talking about a whiff.
Absolutely correct...Helms and Knott were awful most of the season.But Helms vs Michigan played the worst I have seen since 2015
AmonRa777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 12:21 PM   #32
2k15
Music Lover

Male

CockyCash: 2016201620162000
2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material

Barring no injuries to key players (Bentley, Deebo, Edwards), I will say our offense will just sneak into the top 50 in the FBS in total offense, scoring 29 ppg.

Last edited by 2k15; 01-07-2018 at 12:34 PM..
2k15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 06:11 PM   #33
Y Formation
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 11840
Y Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot material

Top 20, over 35 points a game on average.

Defense gets a lot of 3 and outs. We finally have a punt returner next year yet to be named. We also find a FG kicker. We get Deebo back and we kick ass and write down names!

We should average 4 or 5 TD's a game and 2 or 3 FG's.
Y Formation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 06:26 PM   #34
Senior Rooster
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 70000000
Senior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y Formation View Post
Top 20, over 35 points a game on average.

Defense gets a lot of 3 and outs. We finally have a punt returner next year yet to be named. We also find a FG kicker. We get Deebo back and we kick ass and write down names!

We should average 4 or 5 TD's a game and 2 or 3 FG's.
ON TARGET!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-07-2018, 06:38 PM   #35
EAtMoRTaYtErz
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 7500
EAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot material

I don't know what our touchdown per possession rate is.But I want to see that be a much higher percentage. And I want 3rd and short to not be scary any more.
EAtMoRTaYtErz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 09:45 PM   #36
TwoNotch Dreams
Hot Up In The Met

Male

TwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot material

I don't think it will improve much. So, around the same area.
TwoNotch Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 10:08 PM   #37
Wisercock
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 20000
Wisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot material

top 50
400 yards per game
30 ppg
Old 11-05-2018, 02:38 PM   #38
the camp branch kid
Recruit

Male

the camp branch kid is USC mascot materialthe camp branch kid is USC mascot materialthe camp branch kid is USC mascot materialthe camp branch kid is USC mascot materialthe camp branch kid is USC mascot materialthe camp branch kid is USC mascot materialthe camp branch kid is USC mascot materialthe camp branch kid is USC mascot materialthe camp branch kid is USC mascot materialthe camp branch kid is USC mascot materialthe camp branch kid is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by the camp branch kid View Post
There are several threads where you can praise or lament the promotion of Bmac to OC, but all that matters is result. I figured I'd start a thread where people can predict next year's result. No need to fight in this thread just stake your claim and we'll be able to look back in 12 months to judge BMac based on production.
(Total Offense for first blank)

The 2018 BMac led offense will finish top 40 and score 34 points per game.
I may have been a little aggressive here, but there is still a chance. We are currently sitting at 62nd in total offense and scoring 31 ppg.

If we average 492.5 yards and 40 points over the last 4 my prediction would be correct. Below is an optimistic yet not completely implausible scenario that gets us there. I included comparable opponents' games in parenthesis that give me "hope."

Opponent Yards Points
UF 413 31 (gave up 471 points and 38 points to Mizzou)
Chat 615 56 (no data point-we are their only power 5 team)
CU 360 27 (gave up 311 yards and 23 points to Syracuse)
Akron 582 48 (gave up 491 yards and 34 points @ Northwestern)

Before the haters hate, take note of the multiple qualifiers I included. (optimistic, not completely, hope in quotes...lol)
with a Gamecock story to tell.
the camp branch kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 02:57 PM   #39
crowcutta
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 6000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

i personally go by yards per play and right now we're 41st vs fbs opponents, and 46th overall. i think we'll finish top 40. we finished tied for 85th last year vs fbs.

another thing i look at is football outsiders offensive efficiency ratings. last year finished 77th, this year going into the ole miss game 30th.
https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/feioff

the offense has improved significantly, the next step is for the offense to score enough points against a really good team that gives us a chance to win.
crowcutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 03:12 PM   #40
CapitolCock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1000002258
CapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowcutta View Post
i personally go by yards per play and right now we're 41st vs fbs opponents, and 46th overall. i think we'll finish top 40. we finished tied for 85th last year vs fbs.

another thing i look at is football outsiders offensive efficiency ratings. last year finished 77th, this year going into the ole miss game 30th.
https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/feioff

the offense has improved significantly, the next step is for the offense to score enough points against a really good team that gives us a chance to win.
This. Although I hate statistics, efficiency is a much more relevant stat than total offense, in my opinion. Even without production, I think BMac is much more creative than the average OC. He throws in new formations and looks each week that can really take a defense off its game.
CapitolCock is offline   Reply With Quote