CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
TaySC
Order 66
carolina_corpsman
Garnet&BlackOp
GeoCocky66
gamecock88
kingoftheroost
Cockadoo
CockNJersey
Master Bedroom
Thoughts on Freshmen (1437)
Predictions: South C (1177)
BCM and her final ye (433)
Furman Basketball (389)
No Man Has Made a Gu (303)
**USC (2-2) vs. Geor (219)
**USC Women (2-0) vs (197)
BLACK FRIDAY SHOPPIN (165)
Crawl space issues (140)
Ruin Thanksgiving in (84)
Predictions: South Caroli
**USC (2-2) vs. George Wa
Thoughts on Freshmen that
2019 - Jalen Perry
Can We Upset Clemson?
2020 Commitment - Issiah
2019 - Dequan Watts - UCF
2019 - Chris Steele
**USC Women (2-0) vs. Mar
**USC (2-1) vs. Providenc

Old 11-01-2018, 09:47 AM   #41
CapitolCock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1000002258
CapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot material
Default Re: Can We Upset Clemson?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotrice? View Post
Can we? Technically yes. Clemson has to have a very off day and we have to play our best game of the season, if that happens we'll have a shot.

The reality? The Vegas spread is probably going to be around 20 points for this game, maybe more. That means the odds are extremely slim which reinforces the above point that we need Clemson to have a very off day against us. Our best game vs theirs and we probably lose by 14-24 points.
Took the words out of my mouth.
CapitolCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 10:50 AM   #42
uscjeremynca
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 10590
uscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot materialuscjeremynca is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1 View Post
Can we? No

Will we? No
My sentiments exactly. Word for word.
uscjeremynca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 12:17 PM   #43
NAGamec0ckFan
Proverbs 14:12

Male

CockyCash: 14155
NAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot material

No. Still don't have the talent/depth, and this team doesn't perform well in big games.
NAGamec0ckFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 01:27 PM   #44
willyb's hotdogs#1
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 5400
willyb's hotdogs#1 is USC mascot materialwillyb's hotdogs#1 is USC mascot materialwillyb's hotdogs#1 is USC mascot materialwillyb's hotdogs#1 is USC mascot materialwillyb's hotdogs#1 is USC mascot materialwillyb's hotdogs#1 is USC mascot materialwillyb's hotdogs#1 is USC mascot materialwillyb's hotdogs#1 is USC mascot materialwillyb's hotdogs#1 is USC mascot materialwillyb's hotdogs#1 is USC mascot materialwillyb's hotdogs#1 is USC mascot material

no because man to man in the secondary will get us torched. press coverage will get us torched less (but that also ensenuates man coverage, but you can still have zone there)and cushions will get there guys wide open on curls, hitches and comeback routes, where they’ll nickle and dime the clock to death. and we can’t tackle very well in open space. they can run it a little bit too. all we need to do is man the f*k up on D and pop someone in the chest a few times tonslow them down and make them timid to catch the ball. oh one more thing, we have to score 30 + points on offense. there’s that too

My other qb is a Bentley
willyb's hotdogs#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 01:35 PM   #45
Lonnie
Band

Male

CockyCash: 2001
Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

I don't know what will happen. The last couple of games haven't been pretty. But....

...that is the biggest thing SC has going for them. Overconfidence by the tigers. Let's hope they are looking forward to the ACCCG and just think they are going to walk all over us again. On the flip side, it's at their place.

As Ace loves to point out in the smack forum (and I'm suprised he hasn't jumped in on this thread yet) the talent gap isn't as big as it used to be. Clemson's #1 strength is their D-line. I'd say our #1 strength this year is our O-line. On the contrary, our #1 strength (from a pure talent perspective and when they aren't dropping balls) is our receiving corps. Clemson's biggest weak point (and there aren't many) is their secondary. Those two things right there give us a bit more of a chance than folks are giving us credit for.

Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 01:45 PM   #46
bmwparts
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
bmwparts is making other chickens nervousbmwparts is making other chickens nervousbmwparts is making other chickens nervousbmwparts is making other chickens nervousbmwparts is making other chickens nervousbmwparts is making other chickens nervousbmwparts is making other chickens nervousbmwparts is making other chickens nervous

Lets not forget that clemsux should have lost to texas a&m, that was there only test this year in my opinion and it was 28-26, all their other games are against garbage teams. Im not saying we will but we might have the best offense that their defense will face this year and i cant believe im saying that but its true. If, big IF, we play a complete game and score 10-17 points the first half we got a shot
Old 11-01-2018, 02:10 PM   #47
wincocks84
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 5775
wincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot material

I was thinking about the Texas A&M game too. Lawrence was still getting used to the game though, and I'm sure he'll be polished for ours. Still though, like Lonnie said, I believe the big match will be our oline vs their dline. I feel more confident there than in years past. Can Bentley settle down though?
wincocks84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 02:13 PM   #48
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

CockyCash: 1000500
USCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot material
Send a message via MSN to USCBatgirl21

Can we? Sure. Anything CAN happen.
Will we? Hell no. Not even close.
USCBatgirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 02:14 PM   #49
KJHillis
Champ

Male

KJHillis rules the CockPitKJHillis rules the CockPitKJHillis rules the CockPitKJHillis rules the CockPitKJHillis rules the CockPitKJHillis rules the CockPitKJHillis rules the CockPitKJHillis rules the CockPitKJHillis rules the CockPitKJHillis rules the CockPitKJHillis rules the CockPit

Since we get their full attention, it's not likely. If we played them in the middle of the season packed between Wake Forest and Georgia Western, and we were Syracuse, it would be more likely.

I still don't think we've seen a complete game from Carolina in two seasons. If the defense could play like it did against Texas A&M and our offense could score over 20 points, I'd like our chances more.
Old 11-01-2018, 02:45 PM   #50
lakemurraycock
Starter

CockyCash: 5357
lakemurraycock is USC mascot materiallakemurraycock is USC mascot materiallakemurraycock is USC mascot materiallakemurraycock is USC mascot materiallakemurraycock is USC mascot materiallakemurraycock is USC mascot materiallakemurraycock is USC mascot materiallakemurraycock is USC mascot materiallakemurraycock is USC mascot materiallakemurraycock is USC mascot materiallakemurraycock is USC mascot material

lakemurraycock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 04:53 PM   #51
TaySC
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 49477
TaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot material

Of course we can.

I just like to be different though, so disregard me.
TaySC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 04:56 PM   #52
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

CockyCash: 7994501
CockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot material

I upset any and every thing that supports clem taters at all times possible!

As far as this year's game goes yes I think we can beat them.
CockyLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 05:29 PM   #53
Legalman72
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 21800000000
Legalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot material

We have almost no chance. Therefore, this is what I would do, and it could (and probably would) result in a blowout loss for us (nothing new in this series, lately.) But, there's a chance it might work. A&M threw deep a lot, with success. Go big or go home, right?

I would run our receivers deep again, and again, and again. PRE-READ Jake would know where he's going (not giving their d-line a chance to sack Jake) and if it gets picked, it's like a punt. The key is Jake putting it on a rope, which he can do, and avoiding the safeties helping their corners. Of course, I would mix in some draws and drag routes, but I would have a rotation of WRs on streak patterns all game. There would probably be some picks, but hopefully the SEC refs throw some hankies and we catch a bunch of long passes.

Yes, probably a crappy plan. Just about any plan in this game will be crappy. Jake throws a beautiful deep ball. He will have 2-3 secs to do so. I'd go in there with the attitude that we are going to run Clemson to death.
Legalman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 06:03 PM   #54
gamecock88
All Everything

Male

CockyCash: 1825498
gamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legalman72 View Post
We have almost no chance. Therefore, this is what I would do, and it could (and probably would) result in a blowout loss for us (nothing new in this series, lately.) But, there's a chance it might work. A&M threw deep a lot, with success. Go big or go home, right?

I would run our receivers deep again, and again, and again. PRE-READ Jake would know where he's going (not giving their d-line a chance to sack Jake) and if it gets picked, it's like a punt. The key is Jake putting it on a rope, which he can do, and avoiding the safeties helping their corners. Of course, I would mix in some draws and drag routes, but I would have a rotation of WRs on streak patterns all game. There would probably be some picks, but hopefully the SEC refs throw some hankies and we catch a bunch of long passes.

Yes, probably a crappy plan. Just about any plan in this game will be crappy. Jake throws a beautiful deep ball. He will have 2-3 secs to do so. I'd go in there with the attitude that we are going to run Clemson to death.

You're right, that would be a disaster. From what I recall, aTm did it with a scrambling QB making plays, not just lining up and throwing deep on out routes the whole game. We don't have the mobile QB to do that who is also a threat to bust a long run and getting the defense out of position trying to defend both. Our OL also can't sustain their rush while the QB just stands in the pocket.
gamecock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 06:07 PM   #55
Legalman72
Household Name

Male

Legalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecock88 View Post
Our OL also can't sustain their rush while the QB just stands in the pocket.
You didnít read my entire post. And while I donít think itís a great idea, itís a gambit. When youíre grossly outmatched, you must attempt to be unconventional.
Old 11-01-2018, 06:19 PM   #56
TaySC
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 49477
TaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot material

I almost wonder if we couldn't try something like TN did with us.... a bunch of quick hitters to keep moving the chains. Get a block or two and you might actually break one even.
TaySC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 06:22 PM   #57
SterlingBrooks
Lock Down Corner

Male

CockyCash: 260386
SterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot material

Quote:

We did that 2 years ago up there and got blasted. We need to run the damn ball with controlled short passes to kill the clock and only lose by 4 tds.
Old 11-01-2018, 06:32 PM   #58
gamecock88
All Everything

Male

CockyCash: 1825498
gamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot material

Quote:
You didnít read my entire post. And while I donít think itís a great idea, itís a gambit. When youíre grossly outmatched, you must attempt to be unconventional.

Oh I read it all. To throw deep Wrs need time to get there. Jake needs time in the pocket. I don't think we can give him near enough time vs their front. Throwing some draws and screens which we struggle with would be equally difficult. Not trying to shoot holes in your plan and a gimmick is definitely what it would take but I don't think we're capable of pulling off anything like that. Using their aggressive nature against them would be the obvious to me. The major issue I see is even if we pull off a few scores in the 1st half, we don't match up well with their offense to keep it close. Just don't see us keeping up in a shootout. Lawrence is getting laser focused and our coverage scheme is still a 10 yard cushion at best asking our smaller Dbs to come up and make tackles. Look for more piggy back rides in this game.
gamecock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 06:32 PM   #59
Legalman72
Household Name

Male

I’m not the coach so what I suggest isn’t worth anything. I just hope we play to win, and I think we will. I’d rather do that than concede and try to put lipstick on a pig.
Old 11-01-2018, 07:57 PM   #60
ba55nec4r
Blue Chip

Male

ba55nec4r is USC mascot materialba55nec4r is USC mascot materialba55nec4r is USC mascot materialba55nec4r is USC mascot materialba55nec4r is USC mascot materialba55nec4r is USC mascot materialba55nec4r is USC mascot materialba55nec4r is USC mascot materialba55nec4r is USC mascot materialba55nec4r is USC mascot materialba55nec4r is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by jch81 View Post
This Clemson team is a more complete team than the 2016 team in my opinion. Take from that what you will
Thats fine but we're not 2016 South Carolina...so I don't see how it's relevant. I don't think there's anyway we pull the upset, but that still is in no way related to what happened in 2016
ba55nec4r is offline   Reply With Quote