CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
thekob
carolina_corpsman
TastyLicks
Spur's Addiction
kick_ball
CockyLifer
Captain9Dragons
SanAntonioCock
Master Bedroom
SheckWes
Muschamp wants fans (435)
Out of the top 10 (351)
Dom headed to Marine (306)
ESPN Hater's Guide t (272)
Thanksgiving Dinner (268)
Shi Smith's TD vs Ch (229)
Coincidences That Le (90)
2 Clemson tickets fo (20)
ESPN Hater's Guide to Riv
Thanksgiving Dinner - Wha
Muschamp wants fans to be
Bowl game
Tigers by 25
Predictions: South Caroli
Lele’s Height
Collard Greens - Who Love
Hiring Recycled Coaches
2019 - Chris Steele

Old 11-04-2018, 10:02 AM   #1
CockNJersey
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 5533
CockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot material
Default How many drops since BMac came to the sideline?

Just curious if anyone has kept track.

Receiver play has obviously stepped up the past 2 games, with a few ridiculous grabs, most notably Deebo’s TD grab against UT and Edwards’ big gainer against Ole Miss. Shi also has had some nice grabs.

I’m a little curious why the coach being on the sideline makes so much of a difference in whether a receiver can catch the ball or not? It can’t just be accountability.

Deebo had another huge grab yesterday where Jake threw the ball down around Deebo’s knees. In previous weeks there’s no way it would have been a catch. Yesterday it stuck to his hands like he had a gallon of stickum on his hands.
CockNJersey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 10:13 AM   #2
CapitolCock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1000002258
CapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot material
Default Re: How many drops since BMac came to the sideline?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockNJersey View Post

Receiver play has obviously stepped up the past 2 games, with a few ridiculous grabs, most notably Deebo’s TD grab against UT and Edwards’ big gainer against Ole Miss. Shi also has had some nice grabs.

I’m a little curious why the coach being on the sideline makes so much of a difference in whether a receiver can catch the ball or not? It can’t just be accountability.

Deebo had another huge grab yesterday where Jake threw the ball down around Deebo’s knees. In previous weeks there’s no way it would have been a catch. Yesterday it stuck to his hands like he had a gallon of stickum on his hands.
There’s just something to be said about being able to look your guys in the eye between plays. It creates accountability, and it gives BMac a better ability to keep his finger on the pulse of his offense. However, it only works if you’ve got a guy in the booth who you absolutely trust. Luckily, Werner is a true vet up there.

Plus, BMac is just one of those guys that players love. Having him down there just elevated their game.

And I’ve been saying this was the fix for a couple weeks now. I’m glad BMac tried it, I’m glad it worked, and I’m glad he’s got a guy up in the booth he can trust. It should give him the confidence to stay down there.
CapitolCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 10:18 AM   #3
sosfan812
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 5500
sosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot material

Wasn't there a poster on here that stated the biggest difference in the wr group this year from last was their coach got a promotion and wasn't having the same face time? Now who was that insightful poster?...
sosfan812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 10:28 AM   #4
Lonnie
Band

Male

CockyCash: 2001
Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosfan812 View Post
Wasn't there a poster on here that stated the biggest difference in the wr group this year from last was their coach got a promotion and wasn't having the same face time? Now who was that insightful poster?...
It was you. lol.

Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 12:04 PM   #5
Eutaw Kid
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 2700
Eutaw Kid rules the CockPitEutaw Kid rules the CockPitEutaw Kid rules the CockPitEutaw Kid rules the CockPitEutaw Kid rules the CockPitEutaw Kid rules the CockPitEutaw Kid rules the CockPitEutaw Kid rules the CockPitEutaw Kid rules the CockPitEutaw Kid rules the CockPitEutaw Kid rules the CockPit

Quote:

I only remember one outright dropped pass yesterday and think it was Smith. Much improvement!!
Eutaw Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 01:44 PM   #6
CapitolCock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosfan812 View Post
Yeah, or that guy who started an entire thread about the solution being BMac on the sideline...

Maybe we just get it.
Old 11-04-2018, 02:10 PM   #7
Dizzy02
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
Dizzy02 has earned his spursDizzy02 has earned his spursDizzy02 has earned his spursDizzy02 has earned his spursDizzy02 has earned his spursDizzy02 has earned his spurs

So are the drops still on Bentley?
Dizzy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 02:16 PM   #8
sosfan812
1st Team All-SEC

Male

sosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitolCock View Post
Yeah, or that guy who started an entire thread about the solution being BMac on the sideline...

Maybe we just get it.
Took y'all long enough
sosfan812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 02:54 PM   #9
kingoftheroost
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 100014000
kingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot material

I know Smith had two yesterday. Something is up with him. I wonder if he's pressing too much.
Old 11-04-2018, 03:13 PM   #10
CapitolCock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofnerf View Post
Couldn't watch the game yesterday, so I watched it today on WatchESPN.

The broadcasters remarked during the game that him being down there to encourage them calmed the receivers down and was good for their confidence.

We were out of synch on offense at a point in the season that it was costing us games.

McLendon is an unproven OC, but I am encouraged that he made the corrections necessary to get us more productivity on game day.

Some disappointing losses this season, but I think it bodes well for next year and also the rest of the season.

Denson came so close to being stripped on that last long run, though.

We gave up 617 yards to Ole Miss and still won the game. Defense may win championships, but offense keeps people interested in the game.

It was a fun game to watch and I liked the aggressive play-calling.
BMac has proven enough to me. I know that’s not the case for everybody yet, but I think he’s been great.
Old 11-04-2018, 03:14 PM   #11
kingofnerf
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 10500
kingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot material

Couldn't watch the game yesterday, so I watched it today on WatchESPN.

The broadcasters remarked during the game that him being down there to encourage them calmed the receivers down and was good for their confidence.

We were out of synch on offense at a point in the season that it was costing us games.

McLendon is an unproven OC, but I am encouraged that he made the corrections necessary to get us more productivity on game day.

Some disappointing losses this season, but I think it bodes well for next year and also the rest of the season.

Denson came so close to being stripped on that last long run, though.

We gave up 617 yards to Ole Miss and still won the game. Defense may win championships, but offense keeps people interested in the game.

It was a fun game to watch and I liked the aggressive play-calling.
Old 11-05-2018, 12:51 PM   #12
WeDemBoyz
4-Star

Male

WeDemBoyz is developing his combWeDemBoyz is developing his combWeDemBoyz is developing his combWeDemBoyz is developing his combWeDemBoyz is developing his combWeDemBoyz is developing his combWeDemBoyz is developing his combWeDemBoyz is developing his comb

BMac is rubbing gorilla glue on their gloves between drives
WeDemBoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 12:52 PM   #13
WeDemBoyz
4-Star

Male

WeDemBoyz is developing his combWeDemBoyz is developing his combWeDemBoyz is developing his combWeDemBoyz is developing his combWeDemBoyz is developing his combWeDemBoyz is developing his combWeDemBoyz is developing his combWeDemBoyz is developing his comb

I really don't understand or really think his presence on the sidelines is what is making a difference. But sometimes strange reasons seem to work and it's working now so let's stick with it!
WeDemBoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 12:55 PM   #14
CapitolCock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeDemBoyz View Post
I really don't understand or really think his presence on the sidelines is what is making a difference. But sometimes strange reasons seem to work and it's working now so let's stick with it!
It's just a psychological difference. They aren't better athletes when he's down there, but they may be improved mentally. Think of it this way, the only offensive coaches on the sideline are Bobby Bentely, Wolford, and Washington (who moved to the booth). If you're Jake or the receivers, who do you go talk to when things go wrong?
Old 11-05-2018, 12:59 PM   #15
CoverTwo
If C2 doesn't trust you..

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

McClendon moving to the sideline has been a huge success and it needs to be permanent. It has not only benefited him but also the players. He has called 2 straight gems.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 02:39 PM   #16
CockNJersey
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 5533
CockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitolCock View Post
It's just a psychological difference. They aren't better athletes when he's down there, but they may be improved mentally. Think of it this way, the only offensive coaches on the sideline are Bobby Bentely, Wolford, and Washington (who moved to the booth). If you're Jake or the receivers, who do you go talk to when things go wrong?
There’s no question that moving BMac to the sidelines has worked for the offense. However, I’m just not putting it together in terms of the WR drops. I can understand a receiver needing some input during the game if it’s an issue with alignment or route running or what have you. But do they need input during the game on how to catch the ball.

If it’s an accountability thing, then it’s sad that a major contributing factor to 2 of our 3 losses were due to that. WR should be able to catch a ball with or without the coach on the sideline.
CockNJersey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 02:44 PM   #17
CapitolCock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
There’s no question that moving BMac to the sidelines has worked for the offense. However, I’m just not putting it together in terms of the WR drops. I can understand a receiver needing some input during the game if it’s an issue with alignment or route running or what have you. But do they need input during the game on how to catch the ball.

If it’s an accountability thing, then it’s sad that a major contributing factor to 2 of our 3 losses were due to that. WR should be able to catch a ball with or without the coach on the sideline.
Well, I think it works in two ways.

1. McClendon can see for himself which receivers are looking/feeling good at any given time. Being in the booth, McClendon can't see which players are locked in and which ones aren't. He just has to trust them.

2. If players want the ball, they have to show BMac that their heads are right between every play. At a position like WR, you want a guy with confidence/swagger, and you have to show the guy calling plays you're in the right headspace.

I'm not going to go as far to say that ALL of our success last week was because BMac is on the sideline (it could be, but I'm not ready to say that). But I do think having the ability to see/feel the energy of your guys helps you call plays better.

EDIT: Again, the whole thing only works because Werner is in the booth. Anybody else, and I don't think you see BMac down on the sideline.
Old 11-05-2018, 03:03 PM   #18
CoverTwo
If C2 doesn't trust you..

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

You don't have to go any further than the player interviews last week where the majority said that having BMac on the sideline was a big help because of what he was able to do as far as coaching and motivating. His presence down there has provided a much needed boost to confidence.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 03:07 PM   #19
CapitolCock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
You don't have to go any further than the player interviews last week where the majority said that having BMac on the sideline was a big help because of what he was able to do as far as coaching and motivating. His presence down there has provided a much needed boost to confidence.
He really is just one of those guys that players love to play for. For example, I think it makes sense that Roper would be in the booth and nobody would care, while players want BMac on the sideline.

I'm glad the change was made to have BMac down there, but we're extremely fortunate to have Werner up in the booth. That guy knows his stuff.
Old 11-05-2018, 03:15 PM   #20
crowcutta
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 6000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

i dont think him going to the sideline means the receivers or anybody else wont make mistakes but its had an overall positive impact we're you see a great rhythm develop and overall good balance where jake is making plays with his arm and legs, the rb's are contributing so that guys arent feeling the pressure they did previously where they felt they had to do too much.

that said he was on the sideline last year and we had the fewest drops in the sec.
crowcutta is offline   Reply With Quote