CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > Other Gamecock Sports

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
TaySC
sosfan812
Senior Rooster
SanAntonioCock
TRBTB
USCBaseball
Lant
Blitzkrieg
Master Bedroom
bhusc2002
A Flooded South Caro (238)
Just in time for Chr (181)
NCAAF: MIDDLE TENN vs APP
Chris Payne and Leon Mack
2019 Commitment - Zacch P
Vote for Hilinski
Discussion: 2019 Recruiti
2019 Commitment - Cameron
2018 College Football Bow
2019 - Tyron Hopper - Flo
2019 - Chris Steele
2019 Commitment - Jahkeem

Old 08-29-2018, 01:22 PM   #1
scfastpitch
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 5500
scfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot material
Default Softball fall ball .

USC Softball's fall schedule has been announced . Six home games , beginning September 30 with a doubleheader vs Charlotte . I believe they are allowed up to 8 games , so I'm wondering if they might also play a couple of games on the road . Anyway , I guess this can be the fall ball thread . Here is the schedule article from gamecocksonline.com :

Gamecocks Announce 2018 Fall Schedule
Story LinksCOLUMBIA, S.C.---- South Carolina softball, which enters its ninth year with head coach Beverly Smith at the helm, released its slate of six fall games in preparation of the 2019 season.

The Gamecocks open the fall campaign with a doubleheader against Charlotte on Sept. 30 at Carolina Stadium at Beckham Field. First pitch for the twinbill is set for 1:00 PM.

Carolina continues fall play Oct. 5 as Charleston Southern pays a visit to Beckham Field with first pitch scheduled for 6:00 PM. Two days later, the Gamecocks welcome Furman and College of Charleston to Columbia. Carolina will face the Paladins at 3:30 PM before closing the day against the Cougars at 6:00 PM.

Fall action concludes on Oct. 12 as the Gamecocks welcome Winthrop to Beckham Field at 6:00 PM.

All six games are open to the public with free admission.

The Gamecocks are coming off a year in which they finished 49-17 and reached an NCAA Super Regional for the second time in program history. The sixth-straight trip to the postseason is tied for the longest streak in program history.

For more information on the Gamecocks, continue to check with gamecocksonline.com.

SOUTH CAROLINA SOFTBALL FALL SCHEDULE

Sun., Sept. 30 – Charlotte (DH) at 1:00 PM
Fri., Oct. 5 – Charleston Southern at 6:00 PM
Sun., Oct. 7 – Furman at 3:30 PM
Sun., Oct. 7 – College of Charleston at 6:00 PM
Fri., Oct. 12 – Winthrop at 6:00 PM
scfastpitch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 05:40 PM   #2
scfastpitch
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

scfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot material
Default Re: Softball fall ball .

Softball had their " team bonding " weekend . The beach looks like more fun than last year on the Fort Jackson obstacle course . I notice the youtube link says "desktop" for me so I don't know if it works on a phone or not .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvGF...be&app=desktop
Old 09-30-2018, 07:32 PM   #3
scfastpitch
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Good start for USC this fall with a doubleheader win over Charlotte . Score of game two was 5-1 . Score of game one was technically 12-0 after 4 and a half innings . The teams continued to play all seven innings but no more runs were added to the scoreboard . In the bottom of the 5th inning , USC freshman catcher Jordan Fabian stepped to the plate for the first time . Fabian appeared to be hit by a pitch and started to first . The ump called her back , evidently saying the ball hit her bat . Fabian stepped back into the box and drilled the next pitch over the left field wall for the only home run of the day .

Freshman pitchers started both games for USC , and neither allowed a run . Karly Heath pitched 4 hitless innings in game one . Heath also played a few innings in centerfield in game two . I think she was 2-for-3 at the plate , with a double , a bunt single and a line out to third .

Freshman left-hander Rachel Vaughan started game two and also threw four shutout innings . Vaughan was a little shaky with her control but she managed to get out of some jams .

Freshman infielder Madison Owens saw some time at second, third, and short . I don't think she had any hits , but she looked good at the plate and hit some balls hard . The fifth freshman , Hayley Simpson , played about a game and a half in center field . She is a speedy slap-hitter who was on base some but I don't recall if she had any hits or not .

One surprise to me was Gardner-Webb transfer Katie Prebble did not play . Prebble had a tremendous season at G-W and I'm looking forward to seeing how she does this fall . Not sure why she didn't play .

Next game is Friday at 6pm vs Charleston Southern at Beckham Field .
Old 10-05-2018, 10:24 PM   #4
scfastpitch
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

USC goes to 3-0 in the fall with an 8-1 win over Charleston Southern . Once again , a freshman had the only home run of the game . USC infielder Madison Owens hit one out . Owens entered midway through the game to play second base .

The gamecocks starting pitcher was freshman Karly Heath , who allowed 1 run in 3 innings . Kelsey Oh finished up with four shutout innings .

I found out transfer Katie Prebble had some kind of procedure done on her knee and hasn't been cleared to play yet . She did take some pre-game ground balls though . Also , outfielder Lauren Stewart , who missed all of last season has not played yet .
Old 10-07-2018, 10:19 PM   #5
scfastpitch
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Two more wins for USC on Oct. 7 , bringing the fall record to 5-0 .

Game one was a 9-3 win over Furman . Freshman lefty Rachel Vaughan started for USC and gave up three runs early . The gamecocks battled back and broke the game open with a grand slam from Alyssa Kumiyama . Dixie Raley finished up in the circle with 4 shutout innings .

Game two was a 5-1 win for USC over College of Charleston . Kelsey Oh pitched three shutout innings and Cayla Drotar allowed one run in four innings of work .

Final fall ball game is Friday night vs Winthrop at 6pm at Beckham Field .
Old 10-09-2018, 08:46 PM   #6
GaCocky
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
GaCocky has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by scfastpitch View Post
Two more wins for USC on Oct. 7 , bringing the fall record to 5-0 .

Game one was a 9-3 win over Furman . Freshman lefty Rachel Vaughan started for USC and gave up three runs early . The gamecocks battled back and broke the game open with a grand slam from Alyssa Kumiyama . Dixie Raley finished up in the circle with 4 shutout innings .

Game two was a 5-1 win for USC over College of Charleston . Kelsey Oh pitched three shutout innings and Cayla Drotar allowed one run in four innings of work .

Final fall ball game is Friday night vs Winthrop at 6pm at Beckham Field .
Thanks for the update.
Sounds like they should have another strong team.
GaCocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 11:55 PM   #7
scfastpitch
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

USC won it's final game of the fall , although I have no idea what the score was since it wasn't kept on the scoreboard . The gamecocks and Winthrop had a lot of situational play in the eight inning scrimmage , starting most of the innings with one or two runners on base . I understand the situational part . Didn't quite understand the not keeping score part . The lack of a score seem to contribute to a lack of focus for the gamecocks , as we played our sloppiest game of the fall .

USC pitched Vaughan , Oh , Raley & Drotar two innings each . With all the extra base runners it was kind of hard to tell who did well . I do remember Kelsey Oh getting out of one inning which started with runners on second & third . Jana Johns had the only home run of the game .

Sometime in the next few days I'll try to do a wrap up of the fall and attempt to figure out what we've learned about the newcomers .
Old 10-13-2018, 01:11 AM   #8
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 119154183
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by scfastpitch View Post
USC won it's final game of the fall , although I have no idea what the score was since it wasn't kept on the scoreboard . The gamecocks and Winthrop had a lot of situational play in the eight inning scrimmage , starting most of the innings with one or two runners on base . I understand the situational part . Didn't quite understand the not keeping score part . The lack of a score seem to contribute to a lack of focus for the gamecocks , as we played our sloppiest game of the fall .

USC pitched Vaughan , Oh , Raley & Drotar two innings each . With all the extra base runners it was kind of hard to tell who did well . I do remember Kelsey Oh getting out of one inning which started with runners on second & third . Jana Johns had the only home run of the game .

Sometime in the next few days I'll try to do a wrap up of the fall and attempt to figure out what we've learned about the newcomers .
I can understand not keeping the score, if the scrimmage was more of a situational preparation rather than a straight format, and they were starting innings with baserunners. One could argue that in those situations, the score is skewed anyways, because in normal situations those baserunners may not even make it on base if they had to earn their way on, and pitchers pitch differently with baserunners than with out any.

Kinda like football teams scrimmaging each other where they just practice goal line situations, and choosing not to keep score as if it was a regular game format....
ConwayGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 07:56 AM   #9
scfastpitch
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Yeah , but both teams were starting each inning the same way ( one on base , two on base , whatever ) so no one had an advantage . I was trying to keep score in my head for a while ( we were up 8-4 midway through the game ) but eventually gave up . Anyway , USC didn't bat in the bottom of the 8th so I guess somebody figured we were ahead .
Old 10-14-2018, 11:49 PM   #10
scfastpitch
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

USC has four returning starting position players from last year - at third, second , short and leftfield . They were all solid defensively and offensive contributors , and barring injury I would expect all four to be in the same spots again next season . Even though half of the starters will be new , I have felt for a while that this team has a chance to be Beverly Smith’s best team at South Carolina . And even though things didn’t always go as I expected for the newcomers this fall , I still feel that way .

First of all one newcomer didn’t even play . Katie Prebble , who put up tremendous numbers at Gardner-Webb last year , had her knee “ scoped” and was held out of fall play . She is obviously going to get a long look at first base . First base in the fall was played by sophomore power hitter Alyssa Kumiyama . Kumi started a little slow offensively but picked it up midway through , and had a grand-slam that broke open the game with Furman . Defensively , she was a little better than I expected , and I say that because of her weight . Her reactions are good and she handles throws well , but she’s just too heavy . She can’t help much fielding bunts or on pop-ups down the line . She should get some at-bats at the DP spot and do some pinch-hitting as well .

At catcher , I expected freshman Jordan Fabian to start immediately , and she still may . But she split time in the fall with sophomore Anna Vest . Although Fabian homered in her first at-bat , she didn’t do much offensively after that . She saw a lot of change-ups , and didn’t handle them that well . I think long term she will be a good hitter though .

Outfielder/pitcher Karly Heath is another freshman who had a good first game. Four hitless innings as a pitcher . As a hitter a double , a bunt single and a line drive out . Then not many hits for the rest of the fall . I was ready to pencil her in to the vacated right field spot , but she didn’t even see any time there . She did play some in center . Right field was manned mostly by redshirt sophomore Alexis Lindsey . Lindsey had a pretty good fall with the bat . Not the fastest outfielder we have , but she looks more comfortable out there this year .

The freshman who appears to have won a starting spot already is Hayley Simpson , a six foot speedster who may be the first true centerfielder we have had in several years . As a hitter she can bunt , slap or hit away . Winthrop couldn’t keep her off base . Finally , on what looked like her third bunt hit , the ump said she stepped out of the batter’s box . She should be fun to watch .

Freshman utility infielder Madison Owens would have been an immediate starter on some of Beverly Smith’s teams . She saw time at second , short , third and DP . She has a strong arm and plays with a lot of confidence . In one game when she was playing second she caught a popup down the right field line and a runner at second tagged and tried to go to third . Owens wheeled and threw a perfect strike to third to nail the runner by ten feet .

Freshman left-handed pitcher Rachel Vaughan struggled some . She gave up a three-spot early vs Furman and that was actually the worst outing any of our pitchers had in the fall . She’s not a flame-thrower but she can get a lot of ground balls when she keeps the ball down . Hopefully she will settle down and do that .

Sorry I made this so lengthy but I thought I would try to cover all the newbies with this post .