CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
WeCocky2001
ShutTheSuccop
Blitzkrieg
6pack
TwoNotch Dreams
SanAntonioCock
TaySC
Captain9Dragons
taylorssc
cocky0
2020 - Tonka Hemming (624)
Man enters burning h (297)
2019 - William Norto (219)
2019 - Akeem Dent (188)
Michigander can't wa (165)
2019 - Jeremiah Payt (164)
Darius Rucker Gets S (121)
Skynyrd Biopic (99)
2018 WBB - Cate Rees (98)
NFL Draft 2017
Muschamp: Only going to
2018 - Tyler Shough
MBB - Frank Martin's Comm
Do we lose Dozier next ye
Injuries
Go Cocks, Beat Tenn cake
2018 WBB - Rhyne Howard -
2018 WBB - Cate Reese - F
2018 - Master Teague

Old 04-05-2017, 08:09 AM   #41
LegalCock
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 1000
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material
Default Re: Depressing

I thought Williams looked like a good backup/tandem for Rico (AJ will need to get stronger to see the field much), but that d-line was getting gashed though.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:52 AM   #42
Ace Dilcock
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 400
Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
As much as I'd love to be going to the practices and posting opinions and updates
of the team, I'm perfectly fine with the closed practices and the "silence" from
the camp. Reports from open practices comes down to basically Opinion and
there's always a group that sees it differently. I think way too many people put
too much stock in the practice info and stats from scrimmages and get too big
or little of an idea of players or squads.

I was reading through the Spring practice thread this morning and WOW. The
posts in there are already painting the team as "so so" in a lot of areas, and
down right BAD in others. I walked out of The Cockpit Saturday with a pretty
good feeling about the team. Where they were at that point Saturday, compared
to where they were last year when I walked out of the stadium was a definite
improvement. There's still some questionable areas that the game was not going
to Define due to the way the game is structured. Won't know that until the team
takes the field this fall for REAL if the practices are again closed in August. (my
hope is that they are). My view on it is that if people still insist on getting an idea
of what the team is going to look like based on the G&B game in the spring, they
probably don't need to put too much stock in someone's opinion or views of
practice either. The Spring game is just another practice. It's base plays run to
allow the coaches to look at certain players and how the "mesh" with the other
players at their positions. When you aren't allowed to Blitz, Stunt, Tackle a QB
or disguise coverages, then you are going to get a distorted view of the team
that plays NC State in the opener this year. I good with what I saw Saturday, and
I'm fine with not knowing anything else 'til I see the finished product on Gameday
this fall. However, if they allow practices to be opened for a few, or more, I'm there
and I'll give you my opinion on what I see.
This might be the most depressing post of all time. I learn that Spurt was at the Spring game - but no report!!!! What is up with that!!!

But you are right about reading too much into the Spring game. We have had a lot of stellar performances from the Spring for guys that never became contributors. And the opposite as well.

What I did get is that we seem to have a lot - I mean a lot - more weapons on Offense. Much deeper at RB, WR - and TE is off the charts. And that is without Deebo, Hurst, Randrecous Davis, Shi Smith, Will Register. And Bentley looks really good, and Scar is at least serviceable.

Also, as a general observation, the O Line looked better - not sure how much of that was using different techniques and how much is better talent, but I am encouraged that we will not go through 2017 bashing the O Line and O Line coach. With the skill position guys being much deeper and having some experience, and a solid O Line, I expect the O to go from near the bottom to upper half (at least) in the NCAA.

I liked Woznick - his leg is as strong as Fry and he will get more accurate. Punting looked pretty decent also. I don't see the kicking game as a major concern.

D gave up a lot of yards but, as you say, you can't read too much from the Spring game. With incoming talent and Skai playing a full game, I expect improvement. And the improved O will keep the D off the field more.

So not a lot to see - but I am encouraged.
Ace Dilcock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:56 AM   #43
WeCocky2001
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
WeCocky2001 is developing his combWeCocky2001 is developing his combWeCocky2001 is developing his combWeCocky2001 is developing his combWeCocky2001 is developing his combWeCocky2001 is developing his combWeCocky2001 is developing his combWeCocky2001 is developing his combWeCocky2001 is developing his combWeCocky2001 is developing his comb

So frickin pumped for Spurt Reports!

WeCocky2001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 10:47 AM   #44
Ace Dilcock
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 400
Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
Not a write up but I'll give you my opinion.
I was looking specifically for a couple of things. I knew going to the game that I
probably wasn't going to get a good picture of the defensive front (which I didn't). They
aren't allowed to blitz or stunt, the secondary is not allowed to disguise coverage in the
secondary and several players that we will count on saw only a couple of reps or none.
Close to the same with the offense. No Deebo Samuel, No Hayden Hurst, No A.J. Turner...

I wanted to see if all the talk about a couple of players was accurate. Right after signing
day, the local media down here had a couple of guys that were talking about Jaylin
Dickerson big time. Said his numbers and measurables in camp were impressive and the
coaches think they got a steal in this guy. I didn't really buy into that until I heard Tim
Hill (from ABC news) talk him up the next morning on 107.5. I've met Tim several times
at the Practice field. He is the Sports guy on WOLO here in Columbia. Tim knows a little
about the local sports teams around the area, and follows a lot of HS sports as well. He
was very familiar with Jaylin and said that South Carolina was going to be very happy
with this young man real quick. Mr Hill said that he felt like Dickerson would be the best
DB in this class, and maybe the best we've signed out of HS since Stephon Gilmore.
Tim said he was a kid that played a lot like Ko Simpson in HS, and had the same type
of speed, quickness and attitude toward playing the secondary.
I watched him pretty close Saturday and I was not disappointed. Jaylin is going to be a name
we'll hear a lot of this fall, and in the next few years. They guy was everywhere and always
around the ball. Got one pick, and almost had another off of a deflection. He's got some
growing up to do, but he took the majority of the reps with the first unit defense, and that
tells me that he impressed Champ a lot this winter and spring.

Also wanted to see what Ty'son Williams did in this game. Had heard Muschamp talk him up
all winter, and this spring, he was mentioned as a possible starter ! With guys like A.J. and
Rico in that squad, he must have impressed Coach Boom and Coach Bentley very well to have
them say "possible starter" this fall. IMO, he should be starting based on his work Saturday.
Don't know what kind of impression everyone else got from watching him, but to me, he
reminds me of a faster version of Marcus Lattimore. Awesome cutting ability and good eyes
for finding daylight inside and once he gets outside he can whip some DBs ass. If he's not the
starter on day one, and if he stays healthy, he'll be the starter at some point. Either way, he'll
get a lot of carries and break a lot of opponent's ankles.

Schemes were vanilla on offense and defense (as they always are) but just doing a comparison
from the spring games of the past, and the one Saturday, I really like the way the O/line looked.
They've got to work on reducing the penalties, but as for their work, I really think losing Elliott
and picking up Wolford is going to be a MAJOR upgrade for the offense. I actually saw interior
guys like Alan Knott get outside to seal the edges for the scrambling QBs and those runs by
Williams where he got outside the tackles. I actually saw those guys put some defenders on the
perimeter on their butts. I'm still smiling about that ! The past 4-5-6 years, occasionally, I'd see
one of our Tackles move over and knock someone backwards, but never have I seen since
Spurrier took the job here in 2004, our pulling Center or Guards get to the edges ahead of the
Back or QB and find a body to put on their ass. This happened a few times. Wolf has these guys
actually hitting out there instead of just running the direction and going through the motions
because by the time they get to the point of attack, or backs are already tackled and the whistle
has been blown.

Bentley looks REAL GOOD. He made a couple of mistakes early on, but overall he had an above
average game. Too many passes he threw ended up dropped by the intended target, but they
were thrown where they needed to be thrown. He made a couple of right decisions to throw
the ball away instead of holding it too long, and the passes he threw that were caught were
works of art. The one where he hit Jacob August on the post route for the TD right before the end
of the Third Quarter was damn impressive. Might be the best pass I've seen in the G&B game since
Connor Shaw was a Soph / Junior. That ball was well placed and ROPED through tight coverage and hit
August in stride. WOW

I think everyone was impressed with the game Kiel Pollard had Saturday. If Will Register is anything
near the TE everyone says he is once he comes in this fall, we are going to be overloaded with NASTY
Tight Ends to throw to. Pollard, August, Hurst, Crosby and Register (Markway ain't bad either). Our QBs
look like they enjoy finding those guys in the middle of the field and it also appears that all of those guys
(save Register of course) are comfortable going into coverage of the middle to catch passes. We should
be solid in the air attack this fall, and when Deebo returns, and if we have what we think we have in Shi
Smith, our passing game looks like it'll be fun to watch.

Still have no idea what we have on the Defensive front. Our #1 issues with this entire program last year
was not being able to generate a pass rush, or any thing close to putting heat on the QB. That has
to change and as of the end of the scrimmage Saturday, I still don't know if we have a strong rush or
not. My gut tells me we have something brewing, but the coaches wanted to keep it guarded. (that's
my gut). Eyes tell me we're still at least a year away from having the talent to do that on a consistent
basis. Eyes tell me we are still lacking fundamental tackling skills on defense all over the place. Gut tells
me that will be the D/coaches #1 priority this summer, and we'll look much better this fall than we did
in the Spring game in that area. (that's just my gut feeling).

Right now, I think we'll put a lot of points on the board on offense. ..... Question is, can we put up more
points every week than our opponents put on our defense ? I have no clue.
My apologies Spurt - I complained about not getting a write-up before I got to your "non-write-up" write-up. I feel complete again.

I agree with the Offensive thoughts. You listed a bunch of TEs, but did not get around to our two RS Freshman (one of whom was doing something else on Saturday, LOL). Very deep. Same at RB with Caleb Kinlaw, who looks like a solid between the tackles runner, or Mon Denson, who had some nice moves with his lost weight (gotta catch the ball though, Mon!). And at WR, where did Jerad Washington come from? Deep there also, even without two 4* Freshmen, plus Deebo and Dreak da Freak (Deebo will start and Randrecous might also).

D is an issue and I think we are an XT away from being really good - the pass rush is the biggest concern, although I think Boom is scheming on how to improve it for this year. With Jaylin looking like a baller and Nixon/Jamyest coming in, the secondary looks good - and deep. Need to add depth at LB but you gotta love starting out with Skai and BAW. And I think we are set with non-quick twitch guys on the D Line, so we should be stout against the run. Just need a pass rusher or two - maybe Brad Johnson? Wonnum? Fennell?

Starting to get excited - all it takes is a mini-Spurt Report!

Last edited by Ace Dilcock; 04-05-2017 at 11:11 AM..
Ace Dilcock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 11:57 AM   #45
Spurticus
I DON'T FEEL TARDY

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Dilcock View Post
My apologies Spurt - I complained about not getting a write-up before I got to your "non-write-up" write-up. I feel complete again.

I agree with the Offensive thoughts. You listed a bunch of TEs, but did not get around to our two RS Freshman (one of whom was doing something else on Saturday, LOL). Very deep. Same at RB with Caleb Kinlaw, who looks like a solid between the tackles runner, or Mon Denson, who had some nice moves with his lost weight (gotta catch the ball though, Mon!). And at WR, where did Jerad Washington come from? Deep there also, even without two 4* Freshmen, plus Deebo and Dreak da Freak (Deebo will start and Randrecous might also).

D is an issue and I think we are an XT away from being really good - the pass rush is the biggest concern, although I think Boom is scheming on how to improve it for this year. With Jaylin looking like a baller and Nixon/Jamyest coming in, the secondary looks good - and deep. Need to add depth at LB but you gotta love starting out with Skai and BAW. And I think we are set with non-quick twitch guys on the D Line, so we should be stout against the run. Just need a pass rusher or two - maybe Brad Johnson? Wonnum? Fennell?

Starting to get excited - all it takes is a mini-Spurt Report!
No problem, and no apologizes necessary. I saw the thread where everyone
was posting their opinions on the game Saturday and most of what I saw, I also
saw posted by other members. With the basic schemes and the players held out
for whatever reasons, it wasn't going to be a game where you could get a whole
lot of specific information from players or positions. Did get an idea of the running
styles of Denson & Williams, and a new TE emerged in Pollard. Saw a couple of
good things from the DBs like Dickerson and Montac (before he was banged up).
Didn't get any new information about the D/front, but I didn't really expect to there
anyway. BAW was not on the field, and Skai only saw a couple of reps early and
then he was out the rest of the day.
The one squad i was impressed with, was the upgrade to the line, but even there...
was that because they looked much better, or was it that the Defense has not
improved any over last year, so any little bit of improvement makes them look
extra good ? I did see some more speed and better fundamental blocking skills
from those guys when they pulled, but won't really know if that will look as good
against NC St, and beyond until the season starts.

Bentley will be among the SEC leaders in most stats. I'm sure of that. I think we
have a couple or three TEs who are going to make our passing game much more
potent. I'm sure of that. I LIKE THE WAY WILLIAMS RUNS...I'm sure of that. IMO,
he will be starting at some point this year, if not opening day. You can't NOT have
that guy getting a big part of the carries if he has that kind of explosiveness and
vision. Like I said above, he reminds me of Marcus Lattimore with an extra gear.
Still want to see what Shi Smith, Jay Urich and Will Register will add to he offense,
but getting Deebo, Hurst and A.J. back in will make our offense pretty special I
think. .... but as stated earlier, can we put enough points on the board to offset
how many the opposition puts on our defense ? ... Won't know that until we see
the finished products this fall.
Old 04-07-2017, 01:35 PM   #46
Karaoke_Jesus
Recruit

Male

Karaoke_Jesus is crowing loudlyKaraoke_Jesus is crowing loudlyKaraoke_Jesus is crowing loudlyKaraoke_Jesus is crowing loudlyKaraoke_Jesus is crowing loudlyKaraoke_Jesus is crowing loudlyKaraoke_Jesus is crowing loudlyKaraoke_Jesus is crowing loudlyKaraoke_Jesus is crowing loudlyKaraoke_Jesus is crowing loudlyKaraoke_Jesus is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCBatgirl21 View Post
That's because they don't belong anywhere near a ballpark.
I have to disagree. I've attended baseball games in Japan, where the atmosphere is much like a college FB game with bands and chants and all that. It was a blast. Makes the game a much more pleasurable viewing experience
Karaoke_Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 04:50 PM   #47
TaySC
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 0
TaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karaoke_Jesus View Post
I have to disagree. I've attended baseball games in Japan, where the atmosphere is much like a college FB game with bands and chants and all that. It was a blast. Makes the game a much more pleasurable viewing experience
Not even sure how you'd begin to add a band or cheerleaders into a slow paced game like baseball.

I love the traditional baseball. I love it because it has so much strategy going on every pitch that most fans never even consider. It truly is a game of inches where any game can be decided on one pitch.

The neat thing about baseball is batters being able to choose their own walk up music. If you somehow incorporated the band, you would ruin that experience altogether.

Let's also face it (and I'm sure someone won't like this), who goes to a football game for the band besides their close friends and family? Doesn't everyone use that time to go to the bathroom and to get drinks and snacks? Cheerleaders are a nice touch, but the band has always been a waste to me, in pretty much every sport that they attend.
TaySC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 04:54 PM   #48
Karaoke_Jesus
Recruit

Male

Karaoke_Jesus is crowing loudlyKaraoke_Jesus is crowing loudlyKaraoke_Jesus is crowing loudlyKaraoke_Jesus is crowing loudlyKaraoke_Jesus is crowing loudlyKaraoke_Jesus is crowing loudlyKaraoke_Jesus is crowing loudlyKaraoke_Jesus is crowing loudlyKaraoke_Jesus is crowing loudlyKaraoke_Jesus is crowing loudlyKaraoke_Jesus is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaySC View Post
Not even sure how you'd begin to add a band or cheerleaders into a slow paced game like baseball.

I love the traditional baseball. I love it because it has so much strategy going on every pitch that most fans never even consider. It truly is a game of inches where any game can be decided on one pitch.

The neat thing about baseball is batters being able to choose their own walk up music. If you somehow incorporated the band, you would ruin that experience altogether.

Let's also face it (and I'm sure someone won't like this), who goes to a football game for the band besides their close friends and family? Doesn't everyone use that time to go to the bathroom and to get drinks and snacks? Cheerleaders are a nice touch, but the band has always been a waste to me, in pretty much every sport that they attend.
They go all nine innings. It's insane. You have to see it to appreciate it
Karaoke_Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 10:58 PM   #49
spareparts
Hole in 1

Male

CockyCash: 1000618
spareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot material

It's the drabs

We gotta find a way to beat the drabs

Do you have any idea what it would cost to dress up the team like animals
spareparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 05:48 AM   #50
Spurticus
I DON'T FEEL TARDY

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
It's the drabs

We gotta find a way to beat the drabs

Do you have any idea what it would cost to dress up the team like animals
Geeeeeeeeeez....here we go with another uniform discussion !
Old 04-08-2017, 11:10 AM   #51
GamecockSuperFan
Gun N' Run

Male

CockyCash: 666
GamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot material

It's like looking at water and waiting for it to boil. The more you look at it, the longer it takes to boil.
GamecockSuperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 11:16 AM   #52
GamecockSuperFan
Gun N' Run

Male

CockyCash: 666
GamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot material

Loved the first TD to Edwards from Bentley where Bentley kept his head faced the opposite direction of the throw and led Dickerson away from where the pass was going only to turn his head at the last second and fire it to Edwards. Dickerson had no chance at getting back into position to defend that. One of the best look off the safety plays I've seen from Bentley.
GamecockSuperFan is offline   Reply With Quote