CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Blitzkrieg
Master Bedroom
Captain9Dragons
Spur's Addiction
carolina_corpsman
Ace Dilcock
LeeroyJenkins
Spurticus
ChunkSnackwell
kick_ball
Snoop's take, Practi (2223)
New 2001 (1585)
HBC Calls Gamecocks (998)
NC State Dismisses 2 (941)
Booger & Greg Mc (748)
CBS predictions for (600)
Position Unit Previe (552)
Going to my first ga (432)
Deangelo Knight (409)
SEC Network did thei (339)
Booger & Greg McElroy
New 2001
Javon Charleston
Official Countdown Thread
2018 - Trajan Jeffcoat
Snoop's take, Practice Re
Rollcall! : NC State
2018 - Dax Hollifield
Name a Gamecock
2017 Roster

Old 04-10-2017, 10:02 PM   #1
CocksOnTop
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
CocksOnTop rules the CockPitCocksOnTop rules the CockPitCocksOnTop rules the CockPitCocksOnTop rules the CockPitCocksOnTop rules the CockPitCocksOnTop rules the CockPitCocksOnTop rules the CockPitCocksOnTop rules the CockPitCocksOnTop rules the CockPitCocksOnTop rules the CockPitCocksOnTop rules the CockPit
Default Tailgating Set-Up Suggestions

This year I will be tailgating for the first time in the fairgrounds and I needed y'all's input on the best way to get the games on TV while tailgating.

I've already taken care of the generator but my question is has anyone ever streamed a game on your phone/device and then used a cord to put it on a TV? I'm not sure if this would work considering the spotty cell service on game days but I'm trying to avoid paying $1,500 for a mobile satellite dish. Any suggestions would be great and thanks for your help.
CocksOnTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 11:42 PM   #2
Lonnie
Band

Male

CockyCash: 499
Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material
Default Re: Tailgating Set-Up Suggestions

Buy a used regular dish and learn how to aim it.

Lonnie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 12:00 AM   #3
rioninusc
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1000000056
rioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CocksOnTop View Post
This year I will be tailgating for the first time in the fairgrounds and I needed y'all's input on the best way to get the games on TV while tailgating.

I've already taken care of the generator but my question is has anyone ever streamed a game on your phone/device and then used a cord to put it on a TV? I'm not sure if this would work considering the spotty cell service on game days but I'm trying to avoid paying $1,500 for a mobile satellite dish. Any suggestions would be great and thanks for your help.
Get a Chromecast.

https://www.google.com/intl/en_us/ch...tv/chromecast/

I think the newer Roku's can do the streaming as well.

https://www.roku.com/index

I could be wrong about the Roku's, but you can have you phone as a hot spot and stream, you will use a lot of data to get the game. Make sure you have an unlimited data plan to take advantage of it.
rioninusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 12:04 AM   #4
Gamecocks0197
Two Deep

Male

Gamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by rioninusc View Post
Get a Chromecast.

https://www.google.com/intl/en_us/ch...tv/chromecast/

I think the newer Roku's can do the streaming as well.

https://www.roku.com/index

I could be wrong about the Roku's, but you can have you phone as a hot spot and stream, you will use a lot of data to get the game. Make sure you have an unlimited data plan to take advantage of it.
Pretty sure WiFi is required for Chromecast.
Old 04-11-2017, 02:35 AM   #5
sandstorm2001
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 50700
sandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:

I would say try it with your phone for the first game and see how it goes. If it doesn't work out maybe look at getting a used dish as another poster suggested. If your phone works you'lol save money and you can probably survive one game with no TV if it doesn't work out.
Old 04-11-2017, 07:26 AM   #6
carolina_corpsman
Household Name

Male

carolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot material

I just bring bunny ears. Can pick up CBS ABC and FOX in 1080. I have tried streaming games via phones and or making my phone a hotspot and using a laptop and I find that it eats up a lot of data and once the fairgrounds fill up it is not that great a feed. The people that park across from me have a dish, and they seemed to spend more time fiddling with it than actually watching anything. Once they finally got it set up, we would "share" TV's they would usually have ESPN on their TV and I would play the CBS game.
carolina_corpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 11:22 AM   #7
CocksOnTop
Blue Chip

Male

CocksOnTop rules the CockPitCocksOnTop rules the CockPitCocksOnTop rules the CockPitCocksOnTop rules the CockPitCocksOnTop rules the CockPitCocksOnTop rules the CockPitCocksOnTop rules the CockPitCocksOnTop rules the CockPitCocksOnTop rules the CockPitCocksOnTop rules the CockPitCocksOnTop rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_corpsman View Post
I just bring bunny ears. Can pick up CBS ABC and FOX in 1080. I have tried streaming games via phones and or making my phone a hotspot and using a laptop and I find that it eats up a lot of data and once the fairgrounds fill up it is not that great a feed. The people that park across from me have a dish, and they seemed to spend more time fiddling with it than actually watching anything. Once they finally got it set up, we would "share" TV's they would usually have ESPN on their TV and I would play the CBS game.
I may buy a set of bunny ears and do the phone streaming. I have unlimited data so I am just concerned about the quality of the streaming. Thanks for the suggestions everyone
CocksOnTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 11:48 AM   #8
carolina_corpsman
Household Name

Male

carolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot material

Quote:
I may buy a set of bunny ears and do the phone streaming. I have unlimited data so I am just concerned about the quality of the streaming. Thanks for the suggestions everyone
That might be the best bet. I got one of those paper thin amplified antennas for a steal at a RadioShack a few years ago. It uses USB from your TV as a power source and takes up much less space than a dish. I hang it in the jeep to keep it out of the wind. the first day it took maybe 30 minutes of trying different windows in my jeep and rescanning, but after that I just hung it in the rear passenger window and it worked great for the rest of the season.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
Old 04-11-2017, 03:52 PM   #9
mpilot0705
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 3754220
mpilot0705 is USC mascot materialmpilot0705 is USC mascot materialmpilot0705 is USC mascot materialmpilot0705 is USC mascot materialmpilot0705 is USC mascot materialmpilot0705 is USC mascot materialmpilot0705 is USC mascot materialmpilot0705 is USC mascot materialmpilot0705 is USC mascot materialmpilot0705 is USC mascot materialmpilot0705 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to mpilot0705

Can you imagine the killing they would make if they set up a wifi network over there and charged for service? I imagine a lot of people with smart TV's and the like would abandon their dishes. They would need a serious connection to do this which would cost but I think they would get their money back in a year or two.

Some phones have a cord you can plug into the bottom and it has one line in for charging and one line out for HDMI into the TV. If it is a newer samsung just look for the mhl hdmi adapters out there, but make sure it is compatible with your model device as the technology is just slightly different for some of the older vs newer models. I can't stress enough to make sure you get one that has a power input so that you can charge while you watch or it will deplete your battery quickly as it is pulling both the power to stream and also power the adapter. Most people have some drain even plugged in but it slows it down to the point you should be able to stream all day. You can also do the wifi hot spot from you phone, or something like the Verizon myfi, as mentioned above with either a smart TV or capable device. I think the firestick can do it and maybe the Roku.
Old 04-12-2017, 10:54 PM   #10
Mobile Ranger
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 501
Mobile Ranger rules the CockPitMobile Ranger rules the CockPitMobile Ranger rules the CockPitMobile Ranger rules the CockPitMobile Ranger rules the CockPitMobile Ranger rules the CockPitMobile Ranger rules the CockPitMobile Ranger rules the CockPitMobile Ranger rules the CockPitMobile Ranger rules the CockPitMobile Ranger rules the CockPit
Send a message via AIM to Mobile Ranger Send a message via MSN to Mobile Ranger Send a message via Yahoo to Mobile Ranger

Digital antenna is definitely the way to go. If there is a must watch game on cable I use my phone as a hotspot to stream ESPN.
Mobile Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 09:41 AM   #11
GoFightWin
Walk On

Male

GoFightWin has feathers coming inGoFightWin has feathers coming inGoFightWin has feathers coming in

Regarding LTE and streaming to your phone/ipad. If you get there early enough, it might not be a problem. However I find if you get there less than 2 hours before kickoff, streaming on LTE can get bogged down with the demand. The signal is vastly improved over the last year but still bogs down 90 minutes before kickoff. I stream pandora for our tailgate and even it can a little wonky and buffer as it gets closer to kickoff. Two years ago, you couldn't even get a LTE signal if you got in < 90min before kickoff.
GoFightWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 02:39 PM   #12
carolina_corpsman
Household Name

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFightWin View Post
Regarding LTE and streaming to your phone/ipad. If you get there early enough, it might not be a problem. However I find if you get there less than 2 hours before kickoff, streaming on LTE can get bogged down with the demand. The signal is vastly improved over the last year but still bogs down 90 minutes before kickoff. I stream pandora for our tailgate and even it can a little wonky and buffer as it gets closer to kickoff. Two years ago, you couldn't even get a LTE signal if you got in < 90min before kickoff.
I have found the same thing and I ended up downloading a long playlist because even my Spotify was buffering and cutting out.

I have said it probably 100 times, but I really wish the GCC would let you purchase a wifi package that would cover the stadium and fairgrounds/gamecock park. They could get Verizon to sponsor it and bring in a good bit of extra cash.
Old 04-13-2017, 05:05 PM   #13
hank scorpio
Yellow Bellied Sapsucker

Male

CockyCash: 2400200
hank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_corpsman View Post
I have found the same thing and I ended up downloading a long playlist because even my Spotify was buffering and cutting out.

I have said it probably 100 times, but I really wish the GCC would let you purchase a wifi package that would cover the stadium and fairgrounds/gamecock park. They could get Verizon to sponsor it and bring in a good bit of extra cash.
I'm pretty sure Tanner said this was going to happen as a way to increase the branding and recruiting budget.
http://cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=229641
hank scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 05:53 PM   #14
carolina_corpsman
Household Name

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by hank scorpio View Post
I'm pretty sure Tanner said this was going to happen as a way to increase the branding and recruiting budget.
http://cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=229641
oh well good, maybe now they will be able to afford a cock-a-copter...
Old 04-13-2017, 08:33 PM   #15
Frosty
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1295
Frosty is USC mascot materialFrosty is USC mascot materialFrosty is USC mascot materialFrosty is USC mascot materialFrosty is USC mascot materialFrosty is USC mascot materialFrosty is USC mascot materialFrosty is USC mascot materialFrosty is USC mascot materialFrosty is USC mascot materialFrosty is USC mascot material

Relying on cell service sets you up for disappointment. The HD antennas like others have said work great for the local channels. You can pick them up from $10 up, some plug in and are amplified but i don't think you need that feature. IF you know someone that has a dish network account look into their satellite package. We got one last year and it sets up in 5 minutes and finds the signal on it's own. This is what the guy got for us. He has a sporty that he takes around the country so it's not just for tailgating which may make it worth more to him. I think he got his directly from the Dish network folks but this link came up so I will use it.

https://jet.com/product/detail/c6c9c...a:2&code=PLA15
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote