CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Blitzkrieg
Ironfan
GregoryHouse
rioninusc
Ace Dilcock
GuyInTheGreenHouse
Flameout12
donbgamecock
GamecockSuperFan
cockinraleigh
#Game #2 USC (24-16) (744)
The Shining (270)
British Food, Explai (240)
Kitchen life hacks t (204)
Baseball: Kentucky @ (157)
2018 - Azeez Ojulari
#Game #2 USC (24-16) vs.
NFL Draft 2017
2018 - Rosendo Louis
Game #1 USC (24-15) vs. K
2018 - Demarcus Gregory
2018 - Stephon Wynn
*** 2017 Carolina Panther
Dale Earnhardt Jr. Retiri
Discussion: 2018 Recruiti

Old 04-19-2017, 10:51 AM   #21
Ace Dilcock
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 400
Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material
Default Re: Biggest Impact Player coming in 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1 View Post
Conway is right.....they want him 315 or so because we need help in the middle. Have you seen our run defense, especially our sorry Dline the past couple of years?

Muschamp still talking on the radio this morning about telling our incoming DL guys to come in ready to play and just try to be in good as shape as possible because there is tremendous opportunity for them to play this year.

Our DL still appears to need a lot of work for this season.

In regards to biggest impact players I have to think it has to be any one that contributes defensively for us.
Not saying that Kinlaw could not afford to get into better shape, but a 6' 2" or 6' 3" DT regularly weighs in the 300 - 330 range, and you have some that are way beyond that. There are some successful DTs in the pros and playing at places like Alabama that are 340 - 350, and they are shorter than Kinlaw.

It depends on what the coaches want him to do. If they him as a Strongside DE or an off-tackle type that can rush the passer, then he needs to drop weight. If they want him as a big nose tackle/run stuffing type, he is fine as is.
Ace Dilcock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:13 AM   #22
CoverTwo
If C2 doesn't trust you..

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Kaleb Chalmers had a very quiet Spring. I wouldn't count on him to big a big impact guy.

The answer is obviously Ty'Son Williams. He will probably lead the team in rushes, rush yards, and explosive plays.

I also expect Jaylin Dickerson to be a starting Safety by the midway point of the season. He has been fantastic ever since he got to campus.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:16 AM   #23
CoastCocky
Game MVP

Female

CockyCash: 500
CoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot material

Ortre and Jamyest.
CoastCocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:25 AM   #24
CoverTwo

Male

CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

I also don't think the Defensive Line is as bad as they are letting on. The biggest concern is that we don't have a Nose Tackle that can swallow up multiple defenders AND we don't have the ideal talent or depth at the BUCK position because the type of player that Muschamp puts there is usually a player that all the major schools covet. A guy that is extremely athletic, bends well, and is explosive. Wonnum is going to be a really good player but there isn't anyone there pushing him right now. I think our front 3 are going to be fine. Sawyer, Jones, Stallworth, Thomas, Smith, and Webb are all good football players that got a lot of playing time last year (minus Webb).. Blackshear is getting back into the swing but doesn't look like he is quite there yet and they really like the potential of Thompson.. Kinlaw, Johnson, Sterling, and even Bowen are going to be asked to come in and provide depth. Particularly Johnson and Bowen at the BUCK are going to be asked to challenge Wonnum.

If Kinlaw works his ass off to get in shape and learn the scheme, he probably starts at some point this year. He and Kobe Smith are the only hosses we have that can play that NT spot.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
Old 04-19-2017, 05:46 PM   #25
GOCOCKS63
4-Star

Male

GOCOCKS63 is making other chickens nervousGOCOCKS63 is making other chickens nervousGOCOCKS63 is making other chickens nervousGOCOCKS63 is making other chickens nervousGOCOCKS63 is making other chickens nervousGOCOCKS63 is making other chickens nervousGOCOCKS63 is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 View Post
So Jaymest is going to do the KR duties? Where does that leave AJ Turner? Seems like he is about to destined to ride the pine.
And I have no clue why. I feel like he produces every time he's on the field!

And Shi, if he gets in, I don't know how he or the coaches feel about it but he wouldn't be a bad option for db since we are lacking depth. Kid is a head hunter gets to the ball fast as lightning, reminds me of DJ Swearinger. Watch his highlights from maxpreps on youtube they show a few plays towards the end on Defense.
GOCOCKS63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 09:19 PM   #26
CoverTwo

Male

There is a cool story going around about Shi Smith. During camp last year Muschamp told him to take one rep at corner. Shi runs with his man stride for stride, breaks on the ball and makes a play. Muschamp looks at Coach McClendon and winks.

Old 04-19-2017, 09:33 PM   #27
conwaycock2
Bowl MVP

Male

conwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
Kaleb Chalmers had a very quiet Spring. I wouldn't count on him to big a big impact guy.

The answer is obviously Ty'Son Williams. He will probably lead the team in rushes, rush yards, and explosive plays.

I also expect Jaylin Dickerson to be a starting Safety by the midway point of the season. He has been fantastic ever since he got to campus.
Exactly the way I feel. The coaches have be raving about Dickerson & he's going to be good but I also saw a few plays in the Spring game that told me midseason is likely about right. He's not there yet nor should he be. Then again there's no A. Allen or DJ Swearinger to beat out either so it could be sooner. We had a few guys back there last year that appeared allergic to tackling.
conwaycock2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 09:41 PM   #28
gotrice?
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 200
gotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to gotrice?

Quote:

Given the awful depth in the secondary last year Chalmers doesn't have to be a starter to make an impact, just having a few 2nd stringers that can be relied on will be nice.
gotrice? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:19 PM   #29
Rooster'srule
Starter

Male

Rooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot material

Quote:
I also don't think the Defensive Line is as bad as they are letting on. The biggest concern is that we don't have a Nose Tackle that can swallow up multiple defenders AND we don't have the ideal talent or depth at the BUCK position because the type of player that Muschamp puts there is usually a player that all the major schools covet. A guy that is extremely athletic, bends well, and is explosive. Wonnum is going to be a really good player but there isn't anyone there pushing him right now. I think our front 3 are going to be fine. Sawyer, Jones, Stallworth, Thomas, Smith, and Webb are all good football players that got a lot of playing time last year (minus Webb).. Blackshear is getting back into the swing but doesn't look like he is quite there yet and they really like the potential of Thompson.. Kinlaw, Johnson, Sterling, and even Bowen are going to be asked to come in and provide depth. Particularly Johnson and Bowen at the BUCK are going to be asked to challenge Wonnum.

If Kinlaw works his ass off to get in shape and learn the scheme, he probably starts at some point this year. He and Kobe Smith are the only hosses we have that can play that NT spot.
Don't forget Fennel

Good stuff from our current starter at BUCK .. Quite honestly, I'm surprised he wasn't talked about more (positively or negatively) this Summer.

http://www.thestate.com/sports/colle...e93946732.html
Rooster'srule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:45 PM   #30
Goofyboy
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

I'm thinking Brad Johnson and Sherrod Greene because the depth situation offers playing time. Johnson is fast and big, probably at buck. Greene is a side-to-side tackler with good size. Davonne Bowen's coach says he is notably strong, so there could be some opportunity if he gets the schemes assignments early. Kinlaw at DL will certainly have a shot at making an impact, but often DL don't get credit for what they do whether eating up space, demanding doubles, or collapsing the pocket. So many people just count sacks. Tyson Williams is a newcomer who has had a chance to already learn the system and has had big college S&C for 2 years. I think he and Dowdle will split over 2000 yards with 3 other backs getting yards as well. Ortre is the other offensive player I think will get notice, but our depth at receiver (plus tight end) I think will limit his plays and targets.
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:55 PM   #31
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 1050987
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Watched the spring game today and wow our defense looked bad. Lot's of improvements need to be made.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:13 PM   #32
GregoryHouse
Pompous Ass Hillbilly

Male

CockyCash: 53811483
GregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot material

Quote:

My only question about Ty'son Williams is what kept him from making an impact at North Carolina.

The answers may be that he was a freshman, that he was behind Elijah Hood (and another RB) who rushed for 1400 yards in 2015, that he has a better RB coach here and is where he actually wanted to be all along.

He had an excellent spring game and I hope that is an indication of what he can do in the fall (though we have had plenty of spring game MVPs who did very little in real games).

I can see him behind Rico Dowdle but being more of a 1B back to Dowdle's 1A throughout the season. You can never have too many quality running backs.

Muschamp believes that recruiting within a five-hour radius of USC, "we can recruit good enough players to win the East every year."
GregoryHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 02:21 AM   #33
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

CockyCash: 1000062845361251
Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoryHouse View Post
My only question about Ty'son Williams is what kept him from making an impact at North Carolina.

The answers may be that he was a freshman, that he was behind Elijah Hood (and another RB) who rushed for 1400 yards in 2015, that he has a better RB coach here and is where he actually wanted to be all along.

He had an excellent spring game and I hope that is an indication of what he can do in the fall (though we have had plenty of spring game MVPs who did very little in real games).

I can see him behind Rico Dowdle but being more of a 1B back to Dowdle's 1A throughout the season. You can never have too many quality running backs.
I agree, I think Dowdle will produce more this fall, I mean guy is a beast. Not saying Williams is not but I have seen Dowdle get his yards, haven't seen Willams do that yet. We will see. Id be happy if we had 2 1,000 yard rushers because I believe Dowdle will acheive that this year if he stays healthy. Just imagine a Bentley passing game with that kind of 1 2 punch in the backfield.

Vendable Bow Youtube

Vendable Bow Twitter
Gamecocks1137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:16 AM   #34
GregoryHouse
Pompous Ass Hillbilly

Male

CockyCash: 53811483
GregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot material

Would be nice

Muschamp believes that recruiting within a five-hour radius of USC, "we can recruit good enough players to win the East every year."
GregoryHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 06:35 AM   #35
Coondog
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Coondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 View Post
I agree, I think Dowdle will produce more this fall, I mean guy is a beast. Not saying Williams is not but I have seen Dowdle get his yards, haven't seen Willams do that yet. We will see. Id be happy if we had 2 1,000 yard rushers because I believe Dowdle will acheive that this year if he stays healthy. Just imagine a Bentley passing game with that kind of 1 2 punch in the backfield.
Considering that he was a True Freshman, missed half the season, and was never 100% when he did play I totally see Dowdle having a huge year, especially with Williams and Turner to help keep him fresh. Williams showed out in the Spring game and while I don't put a lot of stock in a scrimmage played mostly for the fans he did show great speed and ability to get downfield quickly. If Wolford can get the o-line serviceable and find a LT this offense has a chance to be really good.
Coondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:38 AM   #36
pitchcock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 29776300
pitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Dilcock View Post

Kinlaw is a DT now, not a DE. His attraction is as a run stuffer and a guy that cave in the middle of the O Line. 330 is not that big for his height and would diminish his ability to dominate in the middle. I don't think he is going to be asked to drop a lot of weight.
Look at the pictures of him during his season, then look at the ones around when he signed.

Huge difference. If he played last year at 330 he was nowhere close to that by signing day, he'd added a substantial amount of weight.

For him to have any shot of making an impact this year (at DE or DT/NG), he HAS to show up in shape. We desperately need his depth.

Hopefully it's a non-issue.
pitchcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:50 PM   #37
cockymac
I was the white shadow.

Male

cockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot material

Don't see it being Williams, since he will be splitting time with Dowdle and Turner. Dowdle was fantastic last year, being a true freshman, with no fall camp, playing with an injury. Kinlaw will probably start. Freshmen linebackers will come in and be second string from day 1. Ortre will be a starter. Brad Johnson will be getting lots of playing time as the season goes on. Nixon, Chalmers, Jamyest and Dickerson will all get playing time. The fact is, we have so many holes from being so bad in recruiting for the last few years that we will have impact first year players all over the field. Not ideal, but it is what it is.

Edit: placekicker is the answer, though that person won't be a true freshman.

Second edit: if the thread was just biggest impact person coming in, I would say Coach Wolf. Big upgrade there.
cockymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 01:03 PM   #38
CoverTwo

Male

OrTre isn't starting over Edwards, Samuel, and Davis (if healthy). Those 3 are our best receivers right now (not including Hurst, Crosby). Sure, if Davis stays banged up he could slide into that outside spot over Googer.

Reports last Fall were that Williams was hands down the best back on the team and he carried it over into the Spring and Spring Game. Love Rico Dowdle and agree that it'll be a tandem back there but I'm leaning towards Williams being the Elite back that UNC thought he was going to be after Hood and Logan left. He just didn't want to sit behind them.

Old 04-20-2017, 11:33 PM   #39
Three and Out
Blue Chip

Male

Three and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudly

Quote:
OrTre isn't starting over Edwards, Samuel, and Davis (if healthy). Those 3 are our best receivers right now (not including Hurst, Crosby). Sure, if Davis stays banged up he could slide into that outside spot over Googer.

Reports last Fall were that Williams was hands down the best back on the team and he carried it over into the Spring and Spring Game. Love Rico Dowdle and agree that it'll be a tandem back there but I'm leaning towards Williams being the Elite back that UNC thought he was going to be after Hood and Logan left. He just didn't want to sit behind them.
Actually it doesn't matter who gets more carries or who starts between Rico and Ty'son. This is the best we've been at RB since Marcus was a freshman.
Three and Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 03:40 PM   #40
NAGamec0ckFan
Proverbs 14:12

Male

CockyCash: 8607
NAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockymac View Post
Don't see it being Williams, since he will be splitting time with Dowdle and Turner.
Disagree. I think Williams is going to be the man. Let's face it, Turner only got the amount of playing time he did last year because of lack of talent/depth at the position. He isn't going to get nearly the carries that Williams and Dowdle do next season.
NAGamec0ckFan is online now   Reply With Quote