CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Blitzkrieg
Ironfan
GregoryHouse
rioninusc
Ace Dilcock
GuyInTheGreenHouse
Flameout12
donbgamecock
GamecockSuperFan
cockinraleigh
#Game #2 USC (24-16) (744)
The Shining (270)
British Food, Explai (240)
Kitchen life hacks t (204)
Baseball: Kentucky @ (157)
2018 - Azeez Ojulari
#Game #2 USC (24-16) vs.
NFL Draft 2017
2018 - Rosendo Louis
Game #1 USC (24-15) vs. K
2018 - Demarcus Gregory
2018 - Stephon Wynn
*** 2017 Carolina Panther
Dale Earnhardt Jr. Retiri
Discussion: 2018 Recruiti

Old 04-22-2016, 12:53 PM   #61
gotrice?
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 200
gotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to gotrice?
Default Re: Post-Spring Depth Chart

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchcock View Post
So Deke takes the blame for 4 years of subpar recruiting on the DL prior to him coming, now he's being blamed for putting Blackshear in?

Deke had nothing to do with putting Blackshear in. And if he qualifies for a medical exemption sometimes it takes close to a year to be approved.
Deke is responsible for quite a bit. Even with a lack of talent on the DL it doesn't stop you from teaching good technique, gap discipline, and run fits. He could teach none of this, probably part of the reason him and Botkin got into it on the sideline a few years ago because it leaves LBs out to dry. Deke was the biggest mistake of an assistant coach we had on our staff which is really saying something because there were a few.
gotrice? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 12:56 PM   #62
gotrice?
1st Team All-American

Male

gotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emery View Post
Effort? I'm saying nope. Maybe Muschamp will make statements with players who are second and third string and have an awful attitude, but I hope he's not giving extra credit to key positions for trying hard.

I don't care, and I'm betting most coaches wouldn't either, if Mitch tried half as hard as Brandon but performed better.

This, to me, speaks volumes on how the quarterbacks have been developed here over the years. As in, not at all. Show of hands--a decade after Spurrier and the next head coach has to pick between a walk-on and a true freshman, who had that one pegged?
I think where the effort part starts to really factor in is when someone gives the effort to get better over the offseason they are much more likely to put in extra hours of film study during the season to prep for opponents. Someone who skates by on raw talent and doesn't put in the extra effort may perform well in practice against a defense that he knows very well but put him out there against a different defense and live situation the lack of effort off the field could cost you in the form of very bad decisions or indecisiveness.
Old 04-22-2016, 01:27 PM   #63
jellafever
Make CAROLINA Great Again

Male

CockyCash: 49439155330
jellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot material

The secondary is the position group I'm most excited to see if the new coaching translates into much improved play.
Old 04-22-2016, 02:32 PM   #64
Emery
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1950
Emery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotrice? View Post
I think where the effort part starts to really factor in is when someone gives the effort to get better over the offseason they are much more likely to put in extra hours of film study during the season to prep for opponents. Someone who skates by on raw talent and doesn't put in the extra effort may perform well in practice against a defense that he knows very well but put him out there against a different defense and live situation the lack of effort off the field could cost you in the form of very bad decisions or indecisiveness.
But again, that's a decision based on performance in an actual game. If starter A spends ten minutes reading the ESPN blog post on the team he's playing and lights it up, no one cares how much time he or his backup spend breaking down film. Except maybe his coach, who I bet won't be too pissed off about it.

My point was, sort of, that these coaches probably looked back over the film of last year, but likely gave a lot of concessions--yeah, Mitch looked scared but he's hurt and who knows how they prepared him. But having McIlwain as the 'or' starter over Mitch and Scar and I guess you could throw Nunez in there too, tells me either Brandon is a beast or that we are about to have at least one and maybe two open roster spots in the next few months.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 02:36 PM   #65
gotrice?
1st Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emery View Post
But again, that's a decision based on performance in an actual game. If starter A spends ten minutes reading the ESPN blog post on the team he's playing and lights it up, no one cares how much time he or his backup spend breaking down film. Except maybe his coach, who I bet won't be too pissed off about it.

My point was, sort of, that these coaches probably looked back over the film of last year, but likely gave a lot of concessions--yeah, Mitch looked scared but he's hurt and who knows how they prepared him. But having McIlwain as the 'or' starter over Mitch and Scar and I guess you could throw Nunez in there too, tells me either Brandon is a beast or that we are about to have at least one and maybe two open roster spots in the next few months.
I think where my point goes is that if it is close you go with the harder worker. You don't use hard work as the biggest metric for the decision but you use it as the main tie breaker for a close race. Generally a lack of film study eventually catches up with a QB unless they have all world type talent. Deshaun Watson could probably get by on minimal film study, not many other QBs in Power 5 conferences have the tools he has though.
Old 04-23-2016, 09:47 AM   #66
pitchcock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 29776300
pitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB21 View Post
No, but deke is responsible for slaughtering the talent we had on the d-line. Look at clowney his last season.
Sorry, but those two statements tell me you don't understand the 1st thing about football.

You might be able to cook a mean rack of ribs or chill the beer cold (both highly underrated talents) but that doesn't mean you understand the game.
pitchcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 09:51 AM   #67
b381l
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1000365601
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Sorry, but those two statements tell me you don't understand the 1st thing about football.

You might be able to cook a mean rack of ribs or chill the beer cold (both highly underrated talents) but that doesn't mean you understand the game.
I think he meant two things.......not knowing how to coach the position, and not being able to motivate the players......and yes Clowney took plenty of plays off his last year.....he has already admitted not paying any attention to Deke.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 10:31 AM   #68
qcgamecock
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 99438613414
qcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot material

Someone start a bash the old coaching regime and get that crap out of your system, every other post in the Cockpit thread is a poster telling us how bad the last coaching staff was and how you told us so... GIVE IT A REST!! The SOS era is over, none of those coaches is here except Elliott and God knows I'm sure some will tell us how he should not be for the next 5 months... Amazing how some thing you can't make someone look good without belittling another... Rant over. One more thing LOL to so how you can't win for losing, no one has had anything nice to say about the old staff but you get rid of the equipment manager and some lose their minds...
qcgamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 10:36 PM   #69
b381l
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1000365601
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcgamecock View Post
Someone start a bash the old coaching regime and get that crap out of your system, every other post in the Cockpit thread is a poster telling us how bad the last coaching staff was and how you told us so... GIVE IT A REST!! The SOS era is over, none of those coaches is here except Elliott and God knows I'm sure some will tell us how he should not be for the next 5 months... Amazing how some thing you can't make someone look good without belittling another... Rant over. One more thing LOL to so how you can't win for losing, no one has had anything nice to say about the old staff but you get rid of the equipment manager and some lose their minds...
honestly qc, the old staff headed south when Lawing, Graham, Beamer left and we never recovered with equal coaching.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 04:33 PM   #70
tater
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
tater has developed his gaff and talonstater has developed his gaff and talonstater has developed his gaff and talonstater has developed his gaff and talonstater has developed his gaff and talonstater has developed his gaff and talonstater has developed his gaff and talonstater has developed his gaff and talonstater has developed his gaff and talonstater has developed his gaff and talonstater has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:

Deke was not a good replacement for Lawing. His hiring showed laziness and lack of connections by Spurrier and Co. I don't blame Deke but I do blame Spurrier.
tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 04:58 PM   #71
qcgamecock
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 99438613414
qcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by tater View Post
Deke was not a good replacement for Lawing. His hiring showed laziness and lack of connections by Spurrier and Co. I don't blame Deke but I do blame Spurrier.
If it makes you feel better than great but neither of them is a coach for the football team anymore so go back to clemsux and be racist, leave the GAMECOCK fans alone to discuss the depth chart... For sure neither of them is on the post-spring depth chart...
qcgamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 05:12 PM   #72
TATERchip
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
TATERchip has feathers coming inTATERchip has feathers coming in

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcgamecock View Post
If it makes you feel better than great but neither of them is a coach for the football team anymore so go back to clemsux and be racist, leave the GAMECOCK fans alone to discuss the depth chart... For sure neither of them is on the post-spring depth chart...
OK
TATERchip is offline   Reply With Quote