CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
carolina_corpsman
2k15
SanAntonioCock
ShutTheSuccop
RGHoskins
AtlGAMECOCK
TastyLicks
ccured
rabid cock
Captain9Dragons
Why don't we run any (981)
Wildcat? (710)
Cack's Toast of the (683)
MJ Webb (644)
Charges revealed for (601)
Freeeze: What I did (542)
Should we go hurry-u (515)
College Station? (480)
Arkansas Kickoff Tim (395)
2018 - Mario Dungey (358)
Jake Bentley analysis
Should we go hurry-up or
Champions of life
Our chances against aTm
Muschamp Presser question
Snoop's take on how the n
Freeeze: What I did was w
Charges revealed for susp
Cack's Toast of the Game
College Station?

Old 04-14-2017, 01:18 PM   #381
LawyerLarry
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
LawyerLarry is crowing loudlyLawyerLarry is crowing loudlyLawyerLarry is crowing loudlyLawyerLarry is crowing loudlyLawyerLarry is crowing loudlyLawyerLarry is crowing loudlyLawyerLarry is crowing loudlyLawyerLarry is crowing loudlyLawyerLarry is crowing loudlyLawyerLarry is crowing loudlyLawyerLarry is crowing loudly
Default Re: Win At All Costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockykarma View Post
Because I don't like making assumptions, let me ask. Are you referring to your a yourself as Double L? If so, Kudos on referring to your own nickname, with another nickname in the third person. Also, based on your original nickname (or screen name) are you a lawyer?
Double L is a man of many talents and a jack of all trades including the practice of law, management of professional entertainers, and ruling the multiverse planes of existence from behind the scenes.
LawyerLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 01:36 PM   #382
GregoryHouse
Pompous Ass Hillbilly

Male

CockyCash: 98738147
GregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot material

It takes less than five years to recognize a horrible and incompetent coach. If this coach takes over a world class, historically great, or talent laden team, he may be able to skate by for a few years but his fault eventually show as the influence of the previous regime's good staff and great players leave the program.

It takes less than five years to recognize a truly great coach. If this great coach is taking over a moribund, mediocre, NCAA-sanctioned, player-depleted or team that run a foreign scheme to his playbook, then it may take him about five years or so to get the bad players, influences, and attitudes away from the program. It may take them five or so years to install their playbook and have the players that fit the schemes.

So you can sometimes tell whether you have the exact right coach, or the exact wrong coach, within their first couple of years of employment.

You cannot be certain of the trajectory of your program under the other coaches that would fall on that spectrum until about year five when the program is totally theirs.

That is my belief.

That is why I am willing to give Will Muschamp five years to build this program before I start barking for another coach. Unless the program falls apart or is scandalized or clearly declined over the next couple of years, he deserves that shot (as any coach should).

Until he gives me good reason to change my mind, I will Trust the Process.

I'd love a quick fix with sustained success like anyone else here? Is that an exception to the rule though?

Muschamp believes that recruiting within a five-hour radius of USC, "we can recruit good enough players to win the East every year."
GregoryHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 02:14 PM   #383
Ace Dilcock
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 840
Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoryHouse View Post
It takes less than five years to recognize a horrible and incompetent coach. If this coach takes over a world class, historically great, or talent laden team, he may be able to skate by for a few years but his fault eventually show as the influence of the previous regime's good staff and great players leave the program.

It takes less than five years to recognize a truly great coach. If this great coach is taking over a moribund, mediocre, NCAA-sanctioned, player-depleted or team that run a foreign scheme to his playbook, then it may take him about five years or so to get the bad players, influences, and attitudes away from the program. It may take them five or so years to install their playbook and have the players that fit the schemes.

So you can sometimes tell whether you have the exact right coach, or the exact wrong coach, within their first couple of years of employment.

You cannot be certain of the trajectory of your program under the other coaches that would fall on that spectrum until about year five when the program is totally theirs.

That is my belief.

That is why I am willing to give Will Muschamp five years to build this program before I start barking for another coach. Unless the program falls apart or is scandalized or clearly declined over the next couple of years, he deserves that shot (as any coach should).

Until he gives me good reason to change my mind, I will Trust the Process.

I'd love a quick fix with sustained success like anyone else here? Is that an exception to the rule though?
Well spoken, Mr. House. I think that most (obviously not all, in reference to our international hiring/firing business typhoon) believe that Boom has met expectations to date in terms of wins/losses and recruiting. If steady improvement continues, then we made the right call.

I personally am looking at 8-9 wins this year, simply because we were already playing at the level of an 8-9 win team during the second half of last year. We went 4-3 with losses to the East champ, the national champ, and an 11 win team (in OT). The performances may have been lacking at UF and especially Clemson, but there is no shame in losing to those teams, or South Florida. And UT was a quality win over the preseason East champs.

And with a modicum of improvement (which I expect), we could do even better. I don't see it as outside the realm of possibility to contend for an SEC East title this year - heck, we would have been in the mix last year if we beat UF.
Ace Dilcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 06:24 PM   #384
Lucky
Banned?

Male

CockyCash: 1750
Lucky is USC mascot materialLucky is USC mascot materialLucky is USC mascot materialLucky is USC mascot materialLucky is USC mascot materialLucky is USC mascot materialLucky is USC mascot materialLucky is USC mascot materialLucky is USC mascot materialLucky is USC mascot materialLucky is USC mascot material

Quote:
He wasn't "allowed" to. "Allowed" indicates he wanted to and asked to. He did the opposite. He went to Tanner. Tanner asked him to give him some time. Spurrier agreed to do so.

Your sentence should read, Tanner should not have asked Spurrier to stay on when Spurrier told him he wanted to retired.

I will agree with that.
You win, brah
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 06:28 PM   #385
Lucky
Banned?

Male

CockyCash: 1750
Lucky is USC mascot materialLucky is USC mascot materialLucky is USC mascot materialLucky is USC mascot materialLucky is USC mascot materialLucky is USC mascot materialLucky is USC mascot materialLucky is USC mascot materialLucky is USC mascot materialLucky is USC mascot materialLucky is USC mascot material

Quote:
Me... a person that hires (And fires if need be) around 2 thousand people a year, a person whose very job involves directing teams of people that qualify candidates for extremely high level positions (athletic positions included), a person who directs a company that is nationally recognized as being incredibly good at this very thing and a person who is regarded as an expert in the field... disagrees with you.
What company is that?
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 02:40 AM   #386
WeCocky2001
Banned

Male

WeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
What company is that?
Goldman Sachs
WeCocky2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 01:59 PM   #387
WeCocky2001
Banned

Male

WeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Dilcock View Post
Because when it comes to winning and recruiting (which has a direct correlation to winning), they are the 500 lb. gorilla in the room. You can pretend that they are not there - but they are, so you might as well talk about them. That is the only way you can accurately address the question.
My b brah.

I thought they were the irrelevant little brother.

I like to just ignore them
WeCocky2001 is offline   Reply With Quote