CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
TRBTB
carolina_corpsman
RGHoskins
kick_ball
Blitzkrieg
TastyLicks
usc1
AR1
The Yancey
Pancake21
Our chances against (2974)
Muschamp Presser que (2486)
I wish we all could (2056)
The Bama mentality: (1001)
Turning point - Jaco (931)
10 things I'm absolu (855)
BURN THE BOATS: Noth (800)
Mental toughness (785)
Honest assessment of (501)
Interesting David Wi (438)
Why don't we run any I fo
How Was the DJ?
Interesting David William
2018 Commitment - Marlon
So we're 3-1. Ugh. The su
Our chances against aTm
Jake Bentley analysis
Muschamp Presser question
The Bama mentality: what
Fall Softball 2017

Old 03-29-2017, 11:08 PM   #41
GSC2013
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
GSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Does the basketball run...help the football team?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastCocky View Post
There's no way to tell if it WILL but the best we can do is look to see if the same thing has happened at other programs. I can't think of any schools where success in one sport, directly contributed to the improvement of another sport. What are the ways our tournament run could help football? Publicity? Money? Recruiting? Publicity really only counts for recruiting purposes, so it boils down to money and recruiting. But basketball will never bring in the money that football does, so that leaves recruiting. How does Champ sell a recruit on joining our football program based on the success of our basketball team? I'm not sure there's much of a sales pitch there.
Just branding really. Remember when Mark Stoops went to Kentucky. He began by often touting how "You can win and win big at Kentucky, baskebtall has shown that". And sure they didn't/wont reach UK hoops status. But just branding the school as winners in 1 of the 2 biggest sports helps.

Its more subconscious than anything. But for example if you were a major basketball recruit in, say, Podunk, Alabama...and were recruited by Duke, Kansas and Alabama, and wanted to stay home....could you be convinced that you could be a winner at "Alabama"? Maybe. The name resonates with winning. Same as with North Carolina football. Or Notre Dame basketball. Both used branding as "winning" to catch up a little to their more successful peer sport.

Associating a name, colors, mascot, etc, with winning always helps.
GSC2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 08:56 AM   #42
CoastCocky
Banned

Female

CockyCash: 500
CoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSC2013 View Post
Just branding really. Remember when Mark Stoops went to Kentucky. He began by often touting how "You can win and win big at Kentucky, baskebtall has shown that". And sure they didn't/wont reach UK hoops status. But just branding the school as winners in 1 of the 2 biggest sports helps.

Its more subconscious than anything. But for example if you were a major basketball recruit in, say, Podunk, Alabama...and were recruited by Duke, Kansas and Alabama, and wanted to stay home....could you be convinced that you could be a winner at "Alabama"? Maybe. The name resonates with winning. Same as with North Carolina football. Or Notre Dame basketball. Both used branding as "winning" to catch up a little to their more successful peer sport.

Associating a name, colors, mascot, etc, with winning always helps.
I remember Mark Stoops saying that, but the logic somewhat falls apart when you consider that many (most?) powerhouse football programs aren't that good at basketball, and vice versa. How many big-time football recruits does Duke get? Basketball is UK's flagship program. Football will simply never get the attention that basketball does, so that's another flaw in Stoops' logic.

It's one thing to say it, but recruits these days are too savvy. They know whether your program's been successful. If I were a football recruit and the best sales pitch the head coach could give me was that the basketball team was successful, that would be a dead giveaway that the football team sucks.
CoastCocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 09:05 AM   #43
cockykarma
Banned

Male

cockykarma is USC mascot materialcockykarma is USC mascot materialcockykarma is USC mascot materialcockykarma is USC mascot materialcockykarma is USC mascot materialcockykarma is USC mascot materialcockykarma is USC mascot materialcockykarma is USC mascot materialcockykarma is USC mascot materialcockykarma is USC mascot materialcockykarma is USC mascot material

I think it elevates the school image. That helps all programs a little. I think what helps more is the coverage of the fans. Seeing an entire city go crazy over just being in the Final 4 is a positive as far as recruits go. I don't think it's all that great for the city itself but as far as sports go it's great.

I think it says:

"Come to SC. Be a legend instead of just another guy on another team that did well. You will be canonized. These people will worship you."
cockykarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 09:17 AM   #44
CoastCocky
Banned

Female

CoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockykarma View Post
I think it elevates the school image. That helps all programs a little. I think what helps more is the coverage of the fans. Seeing an entire city go crazy over just being in the Final 4 is a positive as far as recruits go. I don't think it's all that great for the city itself but as far as sports go it's great.

I think it says:

"Come to SC. Be a legend instead of just another guy on another team that did well. You will be canonized. These people will worship you."
I would agree with this for the most part. You can show recruits what awaits them IF the program becomes a winner.

But, I don't think that necessarily creates much of a recruiting edge.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:25 AM   #45
cockykarma
Banned

Male

cockykarma is USC mascot materialcockykarma is USC mascot materialcockykarma is USC mascot materialcockykarma is USC mascot materialcockykarma is USC mascot materialcockykarma is USC mascot materialcockykarma is USC mascot materialcockykarma is USC mascot materialcockykarma is USC mascot materialcockykarma is USC mascot materialcockykarma is USC mascot material

Quote:
I would agree with this for the most part. You can show recruits what awaits them IF the program becomes a winner.

But, I don't think that necessarily creates much of a recruiting edge.
Cool. I actually think we completely agree. Cuz, I didn't say it created an "edge" in recruiting. I said it was a positive. An edge would be something that we have that no else does. Plenty of schools have awesome fan bases.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:33 AM   #46
CoastCocky
Banned

Female

Quote:
Cool. I actually think we completely agree. Cuz, I didn't say it created an "edge" in recruiting. I said it was a positive. An edge would be something that we have that no else does. Plenty of schools have awesome fan bases.
I would argue that one possible real benefit is that the basketball run has sucked all the media air out of the room during much of the spring football practice. I think it could prove to be helpful for the team to go through spring drills without being under the microscope.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:59 AM   #47
EAtMoRTaYtErz
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 57500
EAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeCocky2001 View Post
Na.

Bama football hasn't helped their basketball.
how do you know? Bama a decent team, maybe they would be worse if Bama's football team was worse.
EAtMoRTaYtErz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 10:38 AM   #48
WeCocky2001
Banned

Male

WeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAtMoRTaYtErz View Post
how do you know? Bama a decent team, maybe they would be worse if Bama's football team was worse.
They're mediocre.
And have always been, Football hasn't changed that.
WeCocky2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 10:51 AM   #49
CoastCocky
Banned

Female

Quote:
They're mediocre.
And have always been, Football hasn't changed that.
Bama has won 4 football titles since 2009. The basketball team has made the tournament once during that span. Not sure I see the connection...
Old 03-30-2017, 11:08 AM   #50
WeCocky2001
Banned

Male

WeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Bama has won 4 football titles since 2009. The basketball team has made the tournament once during that span. Not sure I see the connection...
Exactly.

Bama is very good at football. 4 national titles and 5 SEC Titles under Saban.

Basketball has gone through 3 coaches and 1 appearance in the NCAA title game (a loss)

Football hasn't helped them much.
Old 03-30-2017, 12:34 PM   #51
cockykarma
Banned

Male

Quote:
Exactly.

Bama is very good at football. 4 national titles and 5 SEC Titles under Saban.

Basketball has gone through 3 coaches and 1 appearance in the NCAA title game (a loss)

Football hasn't helped them much.
This isn't really an argument just a very narrow and anecdotal statement.

When I coached, the youth football players were always talking about basketball. The youth basketball players didn't seem as interested in football.

No idea if that is relevant.
Old 03-30-2017, 01:10 PM   #52
EvilC
Starter

Male

EvilC is USC mascot materialEvilC is USC mascot materialEvilC is USC mascot materialEvilC is USC mascot materialEvilC is USC mascot materialEvilC is USC mascot materialEvilC is USC mascot materialEvilC is USC mascot materialEvilC is USC mascot materialEvilC is USC mascot materialEvilC is USC mascot material

NO.
EvilC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 03:06 PM   #53
WeCocky2001
Banned

Male

Quote:

When I coached, the youth football players were always talking about basketball. The youth basketball players didn't seem as interested in football.

It's not was just using one example.

I really don't think it matters.

Imo majority of highly recruited kids aren't going to schools to win titles, they want to go to the school that best gets them ready for the pros.
Old 03-30-2017, 03:27 PM   #54
Roosterboy
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

From a recruiting standpoint...some.
It gets the schools name out there and gives players an idea what the football following will be like.

Outside of that, not much.
What is really going to help is recruits seeing improvement in the football team and coaches continuing to improve the talent...very cyclical thing that.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 03:36 PM   #55
cockykarma
Banned

Male

Quote:
It's not was just using one example.

I really don't think it matters.

Imo majority of highly recruited kids aren't going to schools to win titles, they want to go to the school that best gets them ready for the pros.
Hey. My apologies. My last post was poorly handled. I didn't intend it to be a reply to yours. I can see how it looked like that. The entire post was intended to be just a anecdote from my experience. Sorry!
Old 03-30-2017, 03:48 PM   #56
WeCocky2001
Banned

Male

Quote:
The entire post was intended to be just a anecdote from my experience. Sorry!
I don't know what that means.
Old 03-30-2017, 05:20 PM   #57
cockykarma
Banned

Male

Quote:
I don't know what that means.
I posted this:

Quote:

When I did, I quoted your post which appeared to indicate that the post I made was a reference to your post. It wasn't.

This line:

Quote:
Was a preface to this line:

Quote:
It was not a reference to your post that I quoted.

This line:
Quote:
Was referring back to this line:
Quote:
When you responded, I realized that I didn't reply properly and you thought I was attacking your post. I wasn't but I could see how you thought that.

When I wrote this:

Quote:
Hey. My apologies. My last post was poorly handled. I didn't intend it to be a reply to yours. I can see how it looked like that. The entire post was intended to be just a anecdote from my experience. Sorry!
I was apologizing for making a poorly formed post.
Old 03-30-2017, 05:32 PM   #58
Senior Rooster
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 11999363
Senior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot material

Anything that puts the school's name out there in a GOOD way helps recruiting. Football players are sports fans they WILL be paying attention.
Old 03-30-2017, 06:11 PM   #59
WeCocky2001
Banned

Male

Quote:
I posted this:

When I did, I quoted your post which appeared to indicate that the post I made was a reference to your post. It wasn't.

This line:

Was a preface to this line:

It was not a reference to your post that I quoted.

This line:

Was referring back to this line:

When you responded, I realized that I didn't reply properly and you thought I was attacking your post. I wasn't but I could see how you thought that.

When I wrote this:

I was apologizing for making a poorly formed post.
Too much reading

Can you sum it up for me in Pictures or emojis?

or maybe a hashtag.
Old 04-03-2017, 11:16 AM   #60
cockykarma
Banned

Male

Quote:
Too much reading

Can you sum it up for me in Pictures or emojis?

or maybe a hashtag.
#nah