CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Blitzkrieg
smoovecock
thekob
GuyInTheGreenHouse
Master Bedroom
Spur's Addiction
TastyLicks
Three and Out
Captain9Dragons
MountainCock
2017 NBA Draft Night (1916)
Dozier Signs With th (1418)
SI 10 coaches under (873)
Thornwell To The Cli (758)
I have a new grandda (307)
Mizzo to rent out do (183)
Oh, Hello on Netflix (137)
SEC Football Coaches (108)
SI 10 coaches under the m
Mizzo to rent out dorm ro
2018 - Jaycee Horn
2018 - Stephon Wynn
Butch Jones can't be happ
2018 - Dorian Gerald
Dozier Signs With the Lak
SEC Football Coaches Appr
Thornwell To The Clippers
Official Baseball Coachin


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2017, 02:48 PM   #21
carolina_corpsman
Household Name
 
carolina_corpsman's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 5,460
CockyCash: 500
carolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot material
Default Re: 2018/2019 opponents Coastal and Charleston Southern

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yancey View Post
I despise this type of asininity. We have absolutely everything to lose and nothing to gain. This hurts our brand and that of the SEC as well. We are far better served both in recruiting and in strength of schedule by replacing these type of teams with mid majors from areas that we would like to expand our recruiting footprint into.
Personally, as a paying fan, I agree. I would much rather play a big name school and watch a good game than open the season with a nooner with a half empty stadium.

On the other hand, it is nice to keep money in the state and start the season with a fairly easy (we hope) win.
carolina_corpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 11:13 PM   #22
Gamecocks0197
Blue Chip
 
Gamecocks0197's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: May 2016
Location: Cola
Posts: 922
CockyCash: 500
Gamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot material
Default Re: 2018/2019 opponents Coastal and Charleston Southern

As a fan: it's (usually) an "easier" opponent, but when it's closer than expected it's a win that kinda feels like a loss. When it's 2015 Citadel, it's downright embarrassing.

However, I see the financial benefits from this. Plus, it's nice to keep the money in state. I'm currently in a sports management course at USC and we touched on this earlier in the semester.
__________________
University of South Carolina '19
Gamecocks0197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 12:12 AM   #23
GSC2013
Two Deep
 
GSC2013's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Charleston
Posts: 1,162
CockyCash: 1000000
GSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot material
Default Re: 2018/2019 opponents Coastal and Charleston Southern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocks0197 View Post
As a fan: it's (usually) an "easier" opponent, but when it's closer than expected it's a win that kinda feels like a loss. When it's 2015 Citadel, it's downright embarrassing.

However, I see the financial benefits from this. Plus, it's nice to keep the money in state. I'm currently in a sports management course at USC and we touched on this earlier in the semester.
What were some of the comments in class? Id like to hear them. These FCS games also guarantee an extra home game which is great.

I just honestly dont know why anyone would want to play someone like Houston or Boise or Northern Illinois in the week between Florida and Clemson instead of someone like Furman or CSU. UNLESS we wanna not recover from the brutal SEC schedule before we play Clemson.
GSC2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:26 AM   #24
carolina_corpsman
Household Name
 
carolina_corpsman's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 5,460
CockyCash: 500
carolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot material
Default Re: 2018/2019 opponents Coastal and Charleston Southern

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSC2013 View Post
What were some of the comments in class? Id like to hear them. These FCS games also guarantee an extra home game which is great.

I just honestly dont know why anyone would want to play someone like Houston or Boise or Northern Illinois in the week between Florida and Clemson instead of someone like Furman or CSU. UNLESS we wanna not recover from the brutal SEC schedule before we play Clemson.
I don't know why anybody would schedule a option team ever.

I get what you are saying though. I would rather open the season with a big name opponent than some small school.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
carolina_corpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:35 AM   #25
Ace Dilcock
2nd Team All-American
 
Ace Dilcock's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mt. Pleasant
Posts: 7,699
CockyCash: 650
Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material
Default Re: 2018/2019 opponents Coastal and Charleston Southern

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSC2013 View Post
What were some of the comments in class? Id like to hear them. These FCS games also guarantee an extra home game which is great.

I just honestly dont know why anyone would want to play someone like Houston or Boise or Northern Illinois in the week between Florida and Clemson instead of someone like Furman or CSU. UNLESS we wanna not recover from the brutal SEC schedule before we play Clemson.
Kinda funny how basketball and football are handled exactly opposite by the NCAA. Basketball is all about RPI and Strength of Schedule, and we were locks for the NCAA this year because we upgraded our OOC slate (but had a worse record!).

In football, playing Cupcake U. for an OOC game is standard, and gives huge advantages - home game, no stress, like a week off to rest and heal, PT for back-ups so they can develop, etc.

And you never hear anyone say "yeah, but they played a weak OOC schedule" when picking the play-off teams.
Ace Dilcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:44 AM   #26
Fear#5
New and Improved
 
Fear#5's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Columbia, SC/North Augusta, SC
Posts: 3,557
CockyCash: 249940200
Fear#5 is USC mascot materialFear#5 is USC mascot materialFear#5 is USC mascot materialFear#5 is USC mascot materialFear#5 is USC mascot materialFear#5 is USC mascot materialFear#5 is USC mascot materialFear#5 is USC mascot materialFear#5 is USC mascot materialFear#5 is USC mascot materialFear#5 is USC mascot material
Default Re: 2018/2019 opponents Coastal and Charleston Southern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Dilcock View Post
Kinda funny how basketball and football are handled exactly opposite by the NCAA. Basketball is all about RPI and Strength of Schedule, and we were locks for the NCAA this year because we upgraded our OOC slate (but had a worse record!).

In football, playing Cupcake U. for an OOC game is standard, and gives huge advantages - home game, no stress, like a week off to rest and heal, PT for back-ups so they can develop, etc.

And you never hear anyone say "yeah, but they played a weak OOC schedule" when picking the play-off teams.
I mean, the basketball team did play Lander but I do get your point. The Lander game was an outlier and it's probably because we couldn't get another game.

But OOC schedules have mattered in the picking the playoff teams. Wasn't it the first year of the playoffs where TCU and Baylor were both jumped late in the season? I remember their OOC schedules, especially with Baylor, were huge factors in them being jumped. I'm sure the fact that the Big 12 didn't have a title game was a reason as well but I specifically remember their OOC schedules were a huge talking point.
__________________
Fear#5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:46 AM   #27
GSC2013
Two Deep
 
GSC2013's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Charleston
Posts: 1,162
CockyCash: 1000000
GSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot material
Default Re: 2018/2019 opponents Coastal and Charleston Southern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Dilcock View Post
Kinda funny how basketball and football are handled exactly opposite by the NCAA. Basketball is all about RPI and Strength of Schedule, and we were locks for the NCAA this year because we upgraded our OOC slate (but had a worse record!).

In football, playing Cupcake U. for an OOC game is standard, and gives huge advantages - home game, no stress, like a week off to rest and heal, PT for back-ups so they can develop, etc.

And you never hear anyone say "yeah, but they played a weak OOC schedule" when picking the play-off teams.
Oh, i have to disagree a bit. In 2014 Ohio St got in over Baylor. 50% of the argument was how pathetically weak Baylors OOC schedule is. And in 2004 Auburn got snubbed for OU/Southern Cal. They ripped Auburn because they played The Citadel OOC.

There are many more but thats just 2 examples.
GSC2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 10:06 AM   #28
Gamecocks0197
Blue Chip
 
Gamecocks0197's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: May 2016
Location: Cola
Posts: 922
CockyCash: 500
Gamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot material
Default Re: 2018/2019 opponents Coastal and Charleston Southern

Now playing weak OOC teams in football is starting to hurt you. It's an important factor in the CFP and there have already been instances where teams have been left out because of it (2014 Baylor).

It's a good thing revenue wise for the school, but it's something that's looked at more closely in the college football world. It's something that teams need, but you have to be careful not to have too many of these cupcakes.

It's one reason why these opening weekend games in Atlanta, Charlotte, and Dallas are becoming so popular. Because it's a neutral site game, both teams get huge payouts and it's against another big name team so it boosts your OOC schedule.
__________________
University of South Carolina '19
Gamecocks0197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Provided by SLB Development