CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Blitzkrieg
Ironfan
GregoryHouse
rioninusc
Ace Dilcock
GuyInTheGreenHouse
Flameout12
donbgamecock
GamecockSuperFan
cockinraleigh
#Game #2 USC (24-16) (744)
The Shining (270)
British Food, Explai (240)
Kitchen life hacks t (204)
Baseball: Kentucky @ (157)
2018 - Azeez Ojulari
#Game #2 USC (24-16) vs.
NFL Draft 2017
2018 - Rosendo Louis
Game #1 USC (24-15) vs. K
2018 - Demarcus Gregory
2018 - Stephon Wynn
*** 2017 Carolina Panther
Dale Earnhardt Jr. Retiri
Discussion: 2018 Recruiti

Old 04-18-2017, 12:36 PM   #21
uscgmck
I'm Baaacck

Male

CockyCash: 100500
uscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot material
Default Re: Picked to lose 1st game of the year

Anther way for the letter network to get more press. With all the firings and other stuff going on over there and in the house of the mouse they need all the pub they can get.
Old 04-18-2017, 12:41 PM   #22
TKE226
Damn Yankee

Male

CockyCash: 1668234
TKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot material

too early to be worrying. still have to go through fall practice, etc. Yes we rarely blow anyone out so I suspect a close game.
TKE226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 12:44 PM   #23
cockymac
I was the white shadow.

Male

CockyCash: 200
cockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by jch81 View Post
Doesn't matter how good of a qb you have if you can't keep him upright. Gotta have better line play on both sides of the ball to be successful. Giving up the most sacks in the country almost and barely having any sacks last year is a lot of your problem
100% agree. Our offensive line will be better (much better coach there now), but I don't know how much better. The DL will also be better, but again I don't know how much. I like Kinlaw coming in, but we have to get some guys that can pressure the QB. We haven't had a stud DL since Clowney.
cockymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 01:37 PM   #24
sandstorm2001
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 50700
sandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscgmck View Post
Anther way for the letter network to get more press. With all the firings and other stuff going on over there and in the house of the mouse they need all the pub they can get.
They picked a 6-7 team to lose to a 7-6 team in an effort to generate press? Man their marketing department really needs to get it together.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:47 PM   #25
LawyerLarry
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
LawyerLarry is crowing loudlyLawyerLarry is crowing loudlyLawyerLarry is crowing loudlyLawyerLarry is crowing loudlyLawyerLarry is crowing loudlyLawyerLarry is crowing loudlyLawyerLarry is crowing loudlyLawyerLarry is crowing loudlyLawyerLarry is crowing loudlyLawyerLarry is crowing loudlyLawyerLarry is crowing loudly

Weren't we also supposed to lose to Vandy in the opening game last year? We won that game with a team that was the drizzling sh!ts. I expect our team to be much better to open this season.
LawyerLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 01:48 PM   #26
conwaycock2
Bowl MVP

Male

conwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinthropGamecock31 View Post
Idk about them not being very good. They return 8 offensive starters and 9 defensive starters off a team that almost beat Clemson in DV and made quick work of a Vandy team we struggled with. Can we beat them with a much improved offense and (we hope) defense? Sure, but let's not downplay them because they were 7-6 like we weren't 6-7 last year.
Truth. I'll admit right up front that I did not watch them much at all last year but when I did their QB impressed me quite a bit. Maybe I caught him on his best game (don't know) but he looked very good in the limited time I watched him. We're in for a dog fight, I'd almost guarantee that.
conwaycock2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 02:07 PM   #27
uscGRAD04
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 833
uscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Doesn't matter how good of a qb you have if you can't keep him upright. Gotta have better line play on both sides of the ball to be successful. Giving up the most sacks in the country almost and barely having any sacks last year is a lot of your problem

Solid point. (See FSU)

I think our Offense will run more efficiently this year, so I expect Jake Bentley to take less sacks. Hopefully by year two, he will be able to get us out of bad plays, call out blitzes, throw the ball away...whatever it takes to stay off the ground. B/c especially this year, we can't afford him getting knocked around.

Also, I hope we have gotten a little more athletic at the Tackle positions. Hopefully the changes there will help.

As far as defensive pressure, that's a big question mark. Hopefully, help is on the way. Really excited to see what Javon Kinlaw can do. He'll be on campus in a few weeks, so he will get a little extra time to get acclimated. But it sounds like we're counting on him to step in fill the middle. “I’m just excited to have a damn three-technique that looks like a three-technique so when they double team him they won't be able to move him,” Thompson said in February. http://southcarolina.247sports.com/A...ll-fo-52356725

Just gotta find pressure off the edges.

I will agree with you. Biggest question marks this year for Gamecocks is both sides of the LOS and the kicking game.
Old 04-18-2017, 03:18 PM   #28
Ironfan
2nd Team All-SEC

CockyCash: 0
Ironfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscGRAD04 View Post
Solid point. (See FSU)

I think our Offense will run more efficiently this year, so I expect Jake Bentley to take less sacks. Hopefully by year two, he will be able to get us out of bad plays, call out blitzes, throw the ball away...whatever it takes to stay off the ground. B/c especially this year, we can't afford him getting knocked around.

Also, I hope we have gotten a little more athletic at the Tackle positions. Hopefully the changes there will help.

As far as defensive pressure, that's a big question mark. Hopefully, help is on the way. Really excited to see what Javon Kinlaw can do. He'll be on campus in a few weeks, so he will get a little extra time to get acclimated. But it sounds like we're counting on him to step in fill the middle. Im just excited to have a damn three-technique that looks like a three-technique so when they double team him they won't be able to move him, Thompson said in February. http://southcarolina.247sports.com/A...ll-fo-52356725

Just gotta find pressure off the edges.

I will agree with you. Biggest question marks this year for Gamecocks is both sides of the LOS and the kicking game.
For what it is worth the Defensive guys are all saying this is blackshear's year to arrive
Ironfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 04:05 PM   #29
PalmettoCockZ71
Recruit

Male

PalmettoCockZ71 is developing his combPalmettoCockZ71 is developing his combPalmettoCockZ71 is developing his combPalmettoCockZ71 is developing his combPalmettoCockZ71 is developing his combPalmettoCockZ71 is developing his combPalmettoCockZ71 is developing his combPalmettoCockZ71 is developing his combPalmettoCockZ71 is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironfan View Post
For what it is worth the Defensive guys are all saying this is blackshear's year to arrive
Please Jesus let that be true!
I didn't see him in the spring game or hear muschamp talk about him much so I'm not too optimistic...
PalmettoCockZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 04:05 PM   #30
HHess
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 7382743
HHess is crowing loudlyHHess is crowing loudlyHHess is crowing loudlyHHess is crowing loudlyHHess is crowing loudlyHHess is crowing loudlyHHess is crowing loudlyHHess is crowing loudlyHHess is crowing loudlyHHess is crowing loudlyHHess is crowing loudly

Quote:
You're on the wrong message board. Head over to tigernet and give advice please.
Old 04-18-2017, 04:45 PM   #31
Gamecocks0197
Blue Chip

Male

Gamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot material

If I remember correctly, we were picked to lose to Vanderbilt. We were picked to lose to East Carolina. We were picked to lose to Tennessee. We were picked to go as bad as 2-10.

I think it will be an even matchup, and both sides will have the first game jitters. However, I think we have slightly better athletes.
Old 04-18-2017, 04:54 PM   #32
GamecockSuperFan
Gun N' Run

Male

CockyCash: 666
GamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinthropGamecock31 View Post
Idk about them not being very good. They return 8 offensive starters and 9 defensive starters off a team that almost beat Clemson in DV and made quick work of a Vandy team we struggled with. Can we beat them with a much improved offense and (we hope) defense? Sure, but let's not downplay them because they were 7-6 like we weren't 6-7 last year.
Wow I didn't realize they returned that many starters. Our offense will be fine, but wouldn't be surprised if the defense looks like the one fielded gainst USF all season. Can see both teams trying to run early and often, but when it doesn't quite work the 2nd half will become a shootout. Could see us being down a few scores at half. Bentley will will us to a win like he almost did in the bowl game. This is no easy game but none of them ever are.

it's going to take a few years folks. I just hope the defense turns around while Bentley is still here. Otherwise as normal we will have one side of the ball better than the other.
GamecockSuperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 04:56 PM   #33
GamecockSuperFan
Gun N' Run

Male

CockyCash: 666
GamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHess View Post
You're on the wrong message board. Head over to tigernet and give advice please.
Well you can't argue with his assessment. It was
Dead on.
GamecockSuperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 05:09 PM   #34
Ace Dilcock
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 400
Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
The "line play" is a major over-simplification for both sacks and sacks given up.

Giving up sacks had more to do with inexperience/talent at skill positions - QBs holding on to the ball too long, not going with the hot reads, not changing the blocking scheme, WRs not getting open, running the wrong routes, RB (we played a true and RS Freshman), TE (converted Sophomore WR was our starter) were learning how to block. None of that has anything to do with O Line play and will get corrected with experience and coaching.

Our D Line lacks quick twitch athletes and I don't know if we have that on the roster or coming in. But you can generate a pass rush with schemes, stunts, blitzes and use other positions to generate a rush. At LB, BAW and Skai are good at it, newcomers Bowen and Staley are supposed to be strong as well. But Boom has been a little conservative with his D - not a lot of risks being taken - and unless that changes, I don't see a lot of sacks.

Clemson is more of a fast break/attacking D - stack the box, come from different angles, use a lot of man to man coverage, and hope the pressure gets to the QB before the coverage breaks down. High risk, high reward. Lots of sacks and TFLs, but if the immediate pressure does not get to the QB, it allows chunk plays.
Ace Dilcock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 05:17 PM   #35
TaySC
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 200
TaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot material

Seems like every time we pay UNC or NCS we are considered the underdog. When is the last time we actually lost to either of these teams in football though?

I went back through 2006 and unless I missed one, we are 5-0 against UNC and NCS over that time frame.
TaySC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 05:27 PM   #36
conwaycock2
Bowl MVP

Male

conwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot material

I believe the last time we lost to NC State was Lou's 1st year in a monsoon. We beat them both times with Wilson at QB. They scored a grand total of 3 pts in those two games. (I Think)
conwaycock2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 05:35 PM   #37
Ace Dilcock
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 400
Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockSuperFan View Post
Wow I didn't realize they returned that many starters. Our offense will be fine, but wouldn't be surprised if the defense looks like the one fielded gainst USF all season. Can see both teams trying to run early and often, but when it doesn't quite work the 2nd half will become a shootout. Could see us being down a few scores at half. Bentley will will us to a win like he almost did in the bowl game. This is no easy game but none of them ever are.

it's going to take a few years folks. I just hope the defense turns around while Bentley is still here. Otherwise as normal we will have one side of the ball better than the other.
Totally different team from USF. NC State's O can be good but they don't have the dual threat guy that gives us fits, more of a pro-style attack that we can limit. Their D is better than USF, but we will have a much improved O and should score some points.

They are a hard team to figure, though. They were 7-6 and should have beat Clemson, then lost to Louisville 54-13 the next week. They also lost to East Carolina (who we beat) and Boston College. Up and down. Unless whey are playing their best, we will win.

And then add in that it is the first game, when strange things happen and you don't see the real teams.
Ace Dilcock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 05:59 PM   #38
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

CockyCash: 1000062845361251
Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

If our offense is as good as I think it will be, we will win that game by 14.

Vendable Bow Youtube

Vendable Bow Twitter
Gamecocks1137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 06:33 PM   #39
wjmfour1
Recruit

Male

wjmfour1 has feathers coming inwjmfour1 has feathers coming in

I will be happy when we schedule a warm up game for the first week out... I know playing on Thursday night gives us the national spotlight.. but it would be nice to work the kinks out without having a stressful game as well.
wjmfour1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 07:10 PM   #40
GSC2013
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
GSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot material

NC State is gonna be a sleeper in the ACC this year. They truly had Clemson beat. They have top 25 talent on that roster.

We'll look back at 2017 and I think NC State will be one of the 6 best teams we played for sure. Maybe one of the 4 best. Florida, Clemson and Georgia will be better than them. Maybe Texas A&M or Arkansas also. But I dont see anyone else being better than them.

We could very well lose this game....but still finish over .500 and win a bowl.
GSC2013 is offline   Reply With Quote