CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
2k15
Three and Out
Cockygaming
Captain9Dragons
Ace Dilcock
6pack
rabid cock
TKE226
AtlantaSportsGuy
U-Dub Gamecock
Bowl Talk.... (1628)
What Phases of Our G (1371)
NO BLACKOUT!!!! Or A (1187)
Gamecocks Ranked 28t (1110)
2017 Puerto Rico Tip (1038)
**USC Women (3-0) vs (912)
BE THERE (665)
Will USC Score >2 (653)
Cocks vs Taters Bett (542)
Bentley's Footwork (364)
**USC Women (3-0) vs. Wof
NO BLACKOUT!!!! Or Any Ot
Bowl Talk....
2018 - Dax Hollifield
Cocks vs Taters Betting L
Clemson
Will USC Score >21 vs
What Phases of Our Game M
My favorite Justin King w
2 Tater Game tickets

Old 04-19-2017, 09:27 AM   #41
Gamecocks0197
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 5500
Gamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot material
Default Re: USC backs out of 2019 road trip to ECU

Quote:
Originally Posted by conwaycock2 View Post
I do know who winsipedia.com is but this I can tell you. I've watched us play WVA, OK St, & Baylor. Beat Baylor in Columbia, Beat WVA in Columbia, Lost to OK ST in Gator Bowl. Maybe somehow I'm misreading this, if so I stand corrected. Unless the idea is that they were not in what's called the Big 12 when we played them. eg OK ST was in the Big 8, Baylor the Southwest Conference, etc. That must be what they're getting at.
It's a college football data base. Lots of interesting college football stats and history. You can compare two teams and it gives you series history, results of each game, how both teams have individually fared over time. etc. It's a good way to procrastinate.

But yes - only counting the current Big 12 teams.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:33 AM   #42
CoastCocky
Banned

Female

CockyCash: 500
CoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot material

It's football, big deal. They'll get a nice paycheck for nothing and have plenty of time to schedule a new opponent.
CoastCocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 09:59 AM   #43
WeCocky2001
Banned

Male

WeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock Rob View Post
have a bunch of ECU grad friends
Are they ok?
WeCocky2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:01 AM   #44
WeCocky2001
Banned

Male

WeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talonsWeCocky2001 has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Dilcock View Post
That is what they are saying. Another way to put is that "we have not played a team from the Big Howevermany Conference since they had a number in their title that matched their actual number of teams".

They need to get with the program and change their name to an accurate non-numerical title so they are not continually incorrect, like the B1G.

I would go with the BOC - Big Over-rated Conference. Or the NDC - No Defense Conference.

But that's just me.
This is great.

WeCocky2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:14 AM   #45
M.C.
Gamecock4Life

Male

CockyCash: 10149643
M.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to M.C.

http://www.fbschedules.com/2017/04/s...east-carolina/

All you Clemson Tigers Can Kiss My Garnet Ass -M.C.
M.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:14 AM   #46
cockinraleigh
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 78700
cockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocks0197 View Post
We've played enough ACC and Big 10 teams. Would love a Big 12 or Pac 12. When was the last team we played a team from either of those conferences?

Update: According to winsipedia.com, we have never played a current Big 12 team, and the last time we played a Pac 12 team was Southern Cal in 1983.
I think Missouri was in the Big 12 when we played them in the Independence Bowl during SOS's tenure. Damn you Tyrone Nix.

Edit: I see you changed it to current Big 12 team.
cockinraleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:28 AM   #47
CoastCocky
Banned

Female

CoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot materialCoastCocky is USC mascot material

At some point we need to reach out and schedule someone big from out of conference. I know the rationale for not doing it up to this point (the SEC presents enough difficult opponents, we already have Clemson on our OOC schedule). But our conference brethren play the likes of OU, VaTech, SoCal, FSU (Bama...not UF), Wisconsin, etc. We need to stretch our legs a little bit.

Of course, it may very well be that we are not a big enough non-conference draw for some those types of programs.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:33 AM   #48
EAtMoRTaYtErz
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 7500
EAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastCocky View Post
At some point we need to reach out and schedule someone big from out of conference. I know the rationale for not doing it up to this point (the SEC presents enough difficult opponents, we already have Clemson on our OOC schedule). But our conference brethren play the likes of OU, VaTech, SoCal, FSU (Bama...not UF), Wisconsin, etc. We need to stretch our legs a little bit.

Of course, it may very well be that we are not a big enough non-conference draw for some those types of programs.
We play Clemson every single year. If Clemson was just mediocre I could understand where you are coming from. But we always have a top 10 strength of schedule. We don't need Out of Conference sos, we need to start winning the SEC East. That is the only thing that really matters.
EAtMoRTaYtErz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:33 AM   #49
CapitolCock
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000002258
CapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot material

Quote:

I think other SEC schools are able to schedule a more fun OOC game is because of the fact that their rivals are already in-conference anyways. With Clemson, we have nine Power 5 games guaranteed each year. Alabama has to schedule another big game each year, or they would have four non-Power 5 games, and that wouldn't be a good look.

If we went out and added another Power 5 game, we would only be hurting ourselves.
CapitolCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:47 AM   #50
CoastCocky
Banned

Female

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAtMoRTaYtErz View Post
We play Clemson every single year. If Clemson was just mediocre I could understand where you are coming from. But we always have a top 10 strength of schedule. We don't need Out of Conference sos, we need to start winning the SEC East. That is the only thing that really matters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitolCock View Post
I think other SEC schools are able to schedule a more fun OOC game is because of the fact that their rivals are already in-conference anyways. With Clemson, we have nine Power 5 games guaranteed each year. Alabama has to schedule another big game each year, or they would have four non-Power 5 games, and that wouldn't be a good look.

If we went out and added another Power 5 game, we would only be hurting ourselves.
It's not accurate to say we always have a top 10 SOS. We currently sit at 28 for 2017.

As I said, I know the arguments for not adding a notable OOC opponent, but it's just something that most big programs do. Instead of scheduling an NC State, we should have gone for some other notable program out of the region. If you lose the first game of the season to a strong OOC opponent, it doesn't hurt. Could still win the SEC East, and make it to the SECCG, which is basically a play-in game for the playoffs.

Based on that, you could argue there's no downside to it.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:48 AM   #51
CockySpaniel
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 2997000000
CockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot material

We play teams in our recruiting area. Making our team stronger could expand the recruiting area and could bring in opponents from farther away, but playing long distance teams right now is simply not good for the teams growth.
Fanservice for the sake of fanservice is suicidal.
Dabo helped his Uncle jack off his horse...

Only clemson fans would know Dabo doesn't have an Uncle Jack so everbody else might not understand..
CockySpaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:55 AM   #52
CapitolCock
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000002258
CapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
It's not accurate to say we always have a top 10 SOS. We currently sit at 28 for 2017.

As I said, I know the arguments for not adding a notable OOC opponent, but it's just something that most big programs do. Instead of scheduling an NC State, we should have gone for some other notable program out of the region. If you lose the first game of the season to a strong OOC opponent, it doesn't hurt. Could still win the SEC East, and make it to the SECCG, which is basically a play-in game for the playoffs.

Playing 10 Power 5 teams is actually not what most teams do.

EDIT: Well, I just realized you said "most big programs." I don't know how to figure that statistic out without going through and looking at each individual program.

I"ll add this - it really only makes sense for the Big 12 to play an additional Power 5 game because they don't have a conference championship game, and they could benefit from an additional OOC opponent.
CapitolCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:00 AM   #53
CoastCocky
Banned

Female

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockySpaniel View Post
We play teams in our recruiting area. Making our team stronger could expand the recruiting area and could bring in opponents from farther away, but playing long distance teams right now is simply not good for the teams growth.
Fanservice for the sake of fanservice is suicidal.
Well, we didn't do it when we were a top 10 team either.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:31 AM   #54
DJ35
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 5500
DJ35 is developing his combDJ35 is developing his combDJ35 is developing his combDJ35 is developing his combDJ35 is developing his combDJ35 is developing his combDJ35 is developing his combDJ35 is developing his combDJ35 is developing his combDJ35 is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterdog View Post
This is a dick move on our part IMO. You have a contract and have agreed to play than there is no reason to back out. And I really hope we are not backing out from fear of losing. Than that would REALLY be a dick move. We need to develop the mentality that we are not afraid to play anybody, anywhere.
Agree.
DJ35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:34 AM   #55
CoverTwo
If C2 doesn't trust you..

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

This needed to happen. We have no business going and playing Group of 6 schools on the road. Get a home game against a Go6 school or schedule a home & home w/ a Power 5.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:48 AM   #56
M.C.
Gamecock4Life

Male

CockyCash: 10149643
M.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to M.C.

without this we would of had one less home game because of the game in charlotte vs UNC

All you Clemson Tigers Can Kiss My Garnet Ass -M.C.
M.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:52 AM   #57
CoastCocky
Banned

Female

Quote:
This is a dick move on our part IMO. You have a contract and have agreed to play than there is no reason to back out. And I really hope we are not backing out from fear of losing. Than that would REALLY be a dick move. We need to develop the mentality that we are not afraid to play anybody, anywhere.
How is it a dick move to honor the contract?
Old 04-19-2017, 11:56 AM   #58
Roosterdog
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Roosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot material

Quote:
How is it a dick move to honor the contract?
How is paying our way out of our commitment honoring the contract? Gutless move, especially if we are doing it because we are afraid of losing. If that's the case, may as well quit playing competitive sports altogether.
Roosterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:59 AM   #59
sandstorm2001
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 50700
sandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:

If we win our games and win the SEC championship we'll be in the playoffs. Not expecting that to happen in the next couple years, but you don't have to have a top 10 schedule and win out to get there. The only teams that need to boost their schedule to make an argument are teams in weak conferences. Beating UGA, UT, Florida, Clemson, the 1 or 2 strong teams we'd play from the West in the regular season, and whoever the West Champion was in the SECCG would be plenty to earn a spot in the playoffs assuming we weren't losing games we shouldn't.

Not that I expect we'll have a team capable of this in the near future.
Old 04-19-2017, 12:01 PM   #60
sandstorm2001
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 50700
sandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:
How is paying our way out of our commitment honoring the contract? Gutless move, especially if we are doing it because we are afraid of losing. If that's the case, may as well quit playing competitive sports altogether.
The contract says if we don't play we gotta pay. We paid. Contract honored.

I think we are doing it because losing the $mill to to them will be more than made up for by getting the additional home game. If we lost a home game it would be a huge blow financially for the team and the city.

Whoever screwed the pooch on the scheduling in the first place is to blame.