CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Captain9Dragons
Three and Out
SanAntonioCock
Spur's Addiction
rt3891
dreammachine
wildwes
TastyLicks
COCKDIESEL
FurmanCock
Dickerson medically (1681)
Gamecock Receivers (327)
We Can Beat Them (206)
College football pod (17)
College football podcast?
Danny Sheridan: No way U
SEC Media Days
2018 Prediction Thread -
Jovaughn Gwyn is strong
Can Carolina and Tennesse
Discussion: 2019 Recruiti
Gamecock Receivers
Gamecock Jordan brand?
We Can Beat Them

Old 01-12-2016, 09:34 AM   #21
Blackland
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 5200
Blackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot material
Default Re: Freshmen Contribution

If we had 5 star talent they would start immediately, like Clowney and Lati did. We have not recruited this level of talent in a while.
Old 01-12-2016, 09:45 AM   #22
bmurphy
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
bmurphy has earned his spursbmurphy has earned his spursbmurphy has earned his spursbmurphy has earned his spursbmurphy has earned his spursbmurphy has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sporkgod50 View Post
can't take a joke?
They hurt my feelings. Feelings are king these days. Is that right?
bmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 09:46 AM   #23
Ace Dilcock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 13862
Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackland View Post
In 2015 taters had 3 five star and 8 four star recruits. The taters have been out recruiting us for several years now, and it does show. We really need to recruit well for several years to even be competitive with the taters. In the SEC we are way behind the top their in talent quality. We are years away from being competitive for any championship. At least we have better coaching to look forward to.
The big talent discrepancy is largely a myth. Clemson had 3 - 5* and 8 - 4* players in 2015? Well, we had 10 - 4* stars in 2015. Of the Tigers' 3 -5*players, two were Wide Receivers (one of whom is currently on suspension), which was already one of their deepest positions. You can only play so many at one time. Even with all of their 4* and 5* WRs, their best WR last night was a walk-on - remember all of the complaints about how bad out talent was, because we had to resort to using walk-ons at WR?

I watched the game and it reinforced what I already thought: Clemson is a good team with one great player. He just happens to be the QB, which is a position that greatly magnifies his impact. Outside of QB, our talent levels are similar. I was not impressed with their defense (38 points and a lot of big plays given up), offense except for QB (18 rushes for 82 yards, poor pass blocking that would have resulted in a lot of sacks if not for Watson's escape ability), and their special teams were just plain bad.

I welcome your comments, but try rational thought and analysis rather than something along the lines of "What are you smoking???"
Ace Dilcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 09:52 AM   #24
manic5_2001
Banned

Male

manic5_2001 is USC mascot materialmanic5_2001 is USC mascot materialmanic5_2001 is USC mascot materialmanic5_2001 is USC mascot materialmanic5_2001 is USC mascot materialmanic5_2001 is USC mascot materialmanic5_2001 is USC mascot materialmanic5_2001 is USC mascot materialmanic5_2001 is USC mascot materialmanic5_2001 is USC mascot materialmanic5_2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:
If we had 5 star talent they would start immediately, like Clowney and Lati did. We have not recruited this level of talent in a while.
Clowney wasnt a starter he was a passing situation only his first year........

Again you have been proven wrong about the talent lvl of this team.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
manic5_2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 09:56 AM   #25
Ace Dilcock
1st Team All-American

Male

Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by manic5_2001 View Post
Yeah....... recruiting has pretty much stayed the same what changed was the lvl of coaching.

Yes, coaching and schemes were lacking. But a lot of the problem was inexperience and injuries, especially at QB and WR. Think about it - Orth was a 3rd team walk-on, and he was held back on running the ball because we did not have another healthy QB that could throw. Mitch was totally shot, Nunez could not throw due to his shoulder. And our WRs -outside of Pharoh - were all Freshmen and 2 of the 3 RS Freshman were hurt, as well as some of the true Freshmen.

A little coaching, some newer schemes, staying healthy, a few new guys and a little experience - and we should be there.
Old 01-12-2016, 10:02 AM   #26
Robert006
Recruit

Male

Robert006 is making other chickens nervousRobert006 is making other chickens nervousRobert006 is making other chickens nervousRobert006 is making other chickens nervousRobert006 is making other chickens nervousRobert006 is making other chickens nervousRobert006 is making other chickens nervous

Ace, All perspective talent, recruited from HS, is a shot in the dark. Many variables contribute to an athletes success in HS. The star ranking simply reduces your risk of a potential bust. I heard many cheerleaders say rankings dont matter...that is simply not True. Is it the catch-call to recruiting success..No..but more often than not the team with the most 4*..5* recruits is always in the hunt..Alabama is a prime example..
Robert006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 10:08 AM   #27
manic5_2001
Banned

Male

manic5_2001 is USC mascot materialmanic5_2001 is USC mascot materialmanic5_2001 is USC mascot materialmanic5_2001 is USC mascot materialmanic5_2001 is USC mascot materialmanic5_2001 is USC mascot materialmanic5_2001 is USC mascot materialmanic5_2001 is USC mascot materialmanic5_2001 is USC mascot materialmanic5_2001 is USC mascot materialmanic5_2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert006 View Post
Ace, All perspective talent, recruited from HS, is a shot in the dark. Many variables contribute to an athletes success in HS. The star ranking simply reduces your risk of a potential bust. I heard many cheerleaders say rankings dont matter...that is simply not True. Is it the catch-call to recruiting success..No..but more often than not the team with the most 4*..5* recruits is always in the hunt..Alabama is a prime example..
We have recruited 32 4*s yet we are lacking in talent.......... it's coaching pure and simple.

http://southcarolina.247sports.com/S...otball/Commits

https://rivals.yahoo.com/southcaroli...nts/2012/69-70

We had 10 4* 2015 ranked 19th
We had 10 4* 2014 ranked 19th
We had 4 4* 2013 ranked 20th
We had 8 4* 2012 ranked 19th

manic5_2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 10:16 AM   #28
sporkgod50
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000003846
sporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurphy View Post
They hurt my feelings. Feelings are king these days. Is that right?
i guess. it just seemed like a harsh reaction to an at least moderately funny joke.

a bison.
sporkgod50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 10:23 AM   #29
CockyGuy
One Varsity Letter

Male

CockyCash: 200
CockyGuy rules the CockPitCockyGuy rules the CockPitCockyGuy rules the CockPitCockyGuy rules the CockPitCockyGuy rules the CockPitCockyGuy rules the CockPitCockyGuy rules the CockPitCockyGuy rules the CockPitCockyGuy rules the CockPitCockyGuy rules the CockPitCockyGuy rules the CockPit

Quote:
I agree.. Stars matter. They always did in every college sport. It's how Bama is always in the convo for a natty every year, or Duke/Kentucky is in the picture every year in men's basketball. If you read the background of what stars/ratings mean on 247sports, the five stars actually project to be first round draft picks in either the NFL or NBA for that draft class.
Old 01-12-2016, 10:50 AM   #30
Ace Dilcock
1st Team All-American

Male

Quote:
I agree - my point is that the big recruiting gap is not there - we had 10 - 4*, Clemson had 8 - 4* (two less)and 3 - 5* (three more). And that is after 4* Mark Fields de-committed from us and committed to Clemson. And one of Clemson's 5* WRs is currently suspended and will have to stay clean to continue his career - he has two strikes in his Freshman year. Clemson has an edge but it is pretty damn close based on the stars.

The funny thing to me is that people complain about our poor recruiting and use team rankings/star ratings as gospel proof, with the "stars matter, it is better to get higher rated players" mantra . But when those star ratings show that our recruiting is actually pretty good, they get confused. Can't have it both ways.

Our recruiting has actually been pretty consistent from before our 11 win seasons until now. So....Spurrier Junior is not the Great Satan, our staff did not suck at recruiting, we do not have a huge talent gap with Clemson because of Saint Dabo, etc. We need to do better with recruiting, we need to coach em up better, the schemes need to be inmproved and we need for some youngsters to get experience. And all that is happening.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:01 AM   #31
Gamecocks111
4-Star

Male

Gamecocks111 is developing his combGamecocks111 is developing his combGamecocks111 is developing his combGamecocks111 is developing his combGamecocks111 is developing his combGamecocks111 is developing his combGamecocks111 is developing his combGamecocks111 is developing his combGamecocks111 is developing his combGamecocks111 is developing his comb

Let's put this in perspective. Deshaun Hand the #1 player in his high school class is not even a starter for Bama. That's how deep they are with experienced talent. Bama has been top 3 in recruiting rankings the last 5 years. Not saying stars are everything but they clearly have substance
Old 01-12-2016, 11:10 AM   #32
TKE226
Damn Yankee

Male

CockyCash: 1593234
TKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot material

Bama freshman + coaching > our previous coaching staff

Too early to tell what impact coaching will have on our newbies.
TKE226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 11:12 AM   #33
bmurphy
Walk On

Male

bmurphy has earned his spursbmurphy has earned his spursbmurphy has earned his spursbmurphy has earned his spursbmurphy has earned his spursbmurphy has earned his spurs

Hopefully maximizing whatever freshman talent we are able to bring in, *'s or not, will be a focus of the new staff. Making the freshman class an asset instead of a liability.
bmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 12:28 PM   #34
Blackland
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 5200
Blackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot material

I forgot about 5 Star Shaq Rolland.
Old 01-12-2016, 02:22 PM   #35
Senior Rooster
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 7800
Senior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot material

My money is on 2 Freshmen at least starting next year:
McIlwain
Edwards
very possibly others.
Senior Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 12:01 PM   #36
2k15
Music Lover

Male

CockyCash: 2016201620162000
2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material

It's obvious we'll be a very young team next year regardless how many freshmen we play. It does help we have guys like Keir, McIlwain, and Edwards EE because they all have a real shot at being a constant starter, but there's probably a bunch of Freshmen not EEing I can see start all year.

I'm looking for

Brandon McIlwain
Keir Thomas
Brian Edwards
TJ Brunson
Mark King
Rico Dowdle
Tyren Jones (If he does commit)
Kiel Pollard (not committed yet)
Sam Bruce (bit of a longshot, but in top 3)
Old 01-18-2016, 12:35 PM   #37
LuckyCharm
Clowney's huge sack

Male

LuckyCharm has developed his gaff and talonsLuckyCharm has developed his gaff and talonsLuckyCharm has developed his gaff and talonsLuckyCharm has developed his gaff and talonsLuckyCharm has developed his gaff and talonsLuckyCharm has developed his gaff and talonsLuckyCharm has developed his gaff and talonsLuckyCharm has developed his gaff and talonsLuckyCharm has developed his gaff and talonsLuckyCharm has developed his gaff and talonsLuckyCharm has developed his gaff and talons

Rico has already stated that he'll see the field at RB next year.
LuckyCharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 12:54 PM   #38
TwoNotch Dreams
Hot Up In The Met

Male

CockyCash: 5500
TwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot material

Obviously, we're not Alabama.
TwoNotch Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 12:56 PM   #39
SC Tag
Casual Basketball Viewer

Male

CockyCash: 2700
SC Tag is USC mascot materialSC Tag is USC mascot materialSC Tag is USC mascot materialSC Tag is USC mascot materialSC Tag is USC mascot materialSC Tag is USC mascot materialSC Tag is USC mascot materialSC Tag is USC mascot materialSC Tag is USC mascot materialSC Tag is USC mascot materialSC Tag is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyCharm View Post
Rico has already stated that he'll see the field at RB next year.
Old 01-19-2016, 05:34 PM   #40
Cornerback
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 2000
Cornerback has developed his gaff and talonsCornerback has developed his gaff and talonsCornerback has developed his gaff and talonsCornerback has developed his gaff and talonsCornerback has developed his gaff and talonsCornerback has developed his gaff and talonsCornerback has developed his gaff and talonsCornerback has developed his gaff and talonsCornerback has developed his gaff and talonsCornerback has developed his gaff and talonsCornerback has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Actually, Clowney did not start most games as a freshman. He played a good deal and contributed, but he didn't start. He mainly came in situationally and they moved Ingram inside to DT and put Clowney at DE.

For that matter, Lattimore was not scheduled to start either. He did so due to injuries. Of course he was sensational so was always the starter, when healthy, thereafter.
Cornerback is offline   Reply With Quote