CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
CockNJersey
thekob
Flips
BringBackGarcia
LegalCock
Flameout12
Lonnie
Wisercock
JDStud6
TastyLicks
Cause of WR issues? (604)
The critique of the (587)
Serious Question to (483)
Gator Fan's Perspect (474)
Worst case scenario (457)
Where are the tight (331)
Man run over by lawn (318)
The Chefs vs the Pat (225)
Thoughts/Prayers App (210)
Aja gets a Mountain (148)
The Legend of Jadeveon Cl
Discussion: 2019 Recruiti
Bentley or Scarnecchia ?
Gator Fan's Perspective o
The critique of the offen
2019 Commitment - Ryan Hi
I knew we were going to l
Just Mediocre
Texas A&M Vent Thread
Bowl eligible?

Old 09-20-2017, 03:20 PM   #41
Kazak
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 5500
Kazak is USC mascot materialKazak is USC mascot materialKazak is USC mascot materialKazak is USC mascot materialKazak is USC mascot materialKazak is USC mascot materialKazak is USC mascot materialKazak is USC mascot materialKazak is USC mascot materialKazak is USC mascot materialKazak is USC mascot material
Default Re: What was your original prediction for the season, revised?

The OP and others on this site love to denigrate all who see potential in our team or program as "sunshine pumpers."

In fairness then, the OP and others of his ilk are sewage pumpers, and it's a label that should stick.

If a single coach or player wallowed in that brand of hopeless negativity, they'd be booted from the program, and for good reason...because it's toxic and cancerous.

Thank goodness our coaches and our young men are cut from a different cloth than many who post on this site.
Kazak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 03:45 PM   #42
gotrice?
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 20020
gotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to gotrice?

7-5 and still think 7-5. Every team is going to have a bad game or two during the season, we had one this past Saturday that doesn't mean the season is lost by any stretch of the imagination. I'll break down how the rest of the schedule looks compared to how I felt coming into the year. Most of the games on this schedule are tossups.

La Tech - Still a should win game. I'm hoping this is a game that gets our offense some confidence.
@ A&M - Looks much more winnable than I thought it would be. It won't be an easy game but it's one of those games that shouldn't surprise anyone if we do win. Sumlin looks to be a dead man walking.
Arky - Looks much more winnable as well. They've got some serious issues on both sides of the ball. Bielema may be in dead man walking mode as well.
@ Tenn - They've got more pure talent than us but it's still a winnable game on the road because Butch Jones is a master of wasting talent.
Vandy - Talk about a game that has taken a 180. I had this is as almost locked up win, now it's a legit tossup and wouldn't be shocked if they're favored in Columbia. Bravo to Derek Mason for turning them around. That's going to be a good battle.
@ UGA - About the same as I thought they would be. That's going to be extremely tough to win on the road. That defense is strong.
UF - This one could easily get tougher depending on if Franks makes some strides but coming in I thought we had a really solid chance to win and I still see it that way.
Wofford - Beat them
Clemson - I wanted to see what their offense looked like and now I have, this looks like a pistol whipping. Not going to be a fun game for us, I just don't see how we stack up in the trenches and Bryant is doing a good job which was the big question mark I had.

Last edited by gotrice?; 09-20-2017 at 03:59 PM..
gotrice? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 07:09 AM   #43
GratefulCock
4-Star

CockyCash: 200
GratefulCock is crowing loudlyGratefulCock is crowing loudlyGratefulCock is crowing loudlyGratefulCock is crowing loudlyGratefulCock is crowing loudlyGratefulCock is crowing loudlyGratefulCock is crowing loudlyGratefulCock is crowing loudlyGratefulCock is crowing loudlyGratefulCock is crowing loudlyGratefulCock is crowing loudly

6-6 or 7-5
GratefulCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 07:43 AM   #44
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 101850400
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotrice? View Post
7-5 and still think 7-5. Every team is going to have a bad game or two during the season, we had one this past Saturday that doesn't mean the season is lost by any stretch of the imagination. I'll break down how the rest of the schedule looks compared to how I felt coming into the year. Most of the games on this schedule are tossups.

La Tech - Still a should win game. I'm hoping this is a game that gets our offense some confidence.
@ A&M - Looks much more winnable than I thought it would be. It won't be an easy game but it's one of those games that shouldn't surprise anyone if we do win. Sumlin looks to be a dead man walking.
Arky - Looks much more winnable as well. They've got some serious issues on both sides of the ball. Bielema may be in dead man walking mode as well.
@ Tenn - They've got more pure talent than us but it's still a winnable game on the road because Butch Jones is a master of wasting talent.
Vandy - Talk about a game that has taken a 180. I had this is as almost locked up win, now it's a legit tossup and wouldn't be shocked if they're favored in Columbia. Bravo to Derek Mason for turning them around. That's going to be a good battle.
@ UGA - About the same as I thought they would be. That's going to be extremely tough to win on the road. That defense is strong.
UF - This one could easily get tougher depending on if Franks makes some strides but coming in I thought we had a really solid chance to win and I still see it that way.
Wofford - Beat them
Clemson - I wanted to see what their offense looked like and now I have, this looks like a pistol whipping. Not going to be a fun game for us, I just don't see how we stack up in the trenches and Bryant is doing a good job which was the big question mark I had.
Pretty much agree with your assessments here. We also can't afford to be zombies like this past week vs KY. We need to nut up as an entire team (coaches, players, etc.) and focus on each game and give it our best shot.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 08:03 AM   #45
usc1rules
Walk On

Male

usc1rules is learning to peck

I didn't make a prediction but wanted to see what would happen after the first three games. Even though we beat a good N.C. State team and a sub-par at best Missouri team and lost to Kentucky; if someone at the beginning of the season would have told me that we would be 2-1 I would be thankful. I am still ecstatic that we are 2-1. Now as for the rest of the season I will take into consideration that we lost one of the best players on offense for a lengthy bit of time. 1 of our lineman is currently banged up and hope that he returns soon. Also consider the fact that we still lack depth on defense, I would also like to point out that this is only year 2 of the Muschamp era and we are still a very young ball club and we only have 75 scholarship players: I would like to think that we could win them all but in the real world that will not happen. I see us going at least 2-1 in our next 3 games(La. Tech, Texas A&M and Arkansas), but possibly 3-0 can be achieved. The next 4 games are the meat of our schedule (Tenn, Vandy, Georgia and Florida) and possibly going 2-2 if the football gods are with us. If not then possibly 1-3 or even 0-4. Will have to see how healthy we are and what type of confidence we have from the previous three games. Wofford should be a win but we all know how we play against that darn triple option crap. Then the last game of the season against our arch nemesis, state rival and defending national champs: I honestly hope that we don't get too embarrassed and just play our hardest. Again a lot will depend on if we can stay healthy and get Deebo back.
usc1rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 08:13 AM   #46
Ace Dilcock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 13324
Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material

In the 11-2 years, there was always one loss that should not have happened. Hopefully, UK was the one for this year.

I just think that no one was ready or focus, from the coaches to the players. Maybe it was the peripheral stuff that distracted us (first home game in 10 months, stadium changes), or overconfidence from winning the first two as underdogs away from home, I don't know.

I do know that we are better that what we showed and we still have 9 games left (or 10 or 11 or 12.....) to show that we are a good team.

Sticking with 8-9 wins.
Ace Dilcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 08:29 AM   #47
Senior Rooster
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 72900000
Senior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Dilcock View Post
In the 11-2 years, there was always one loss that should not have happened. Hopefully, UK was the one for this year.

I just think that no one was ready or focus, from the coaches to the players. Maybe it was the peripheral stuff that distracted us (first home game in 10 months, stadium changes), or overconfidence from winning the first two as underdogs away from home, I don't know.

I do know that we are better that what we showed and we still have 9 games left (or 10 or 11 or 12.....) to show that we are a good team.

Sticking with 8-9 wins.
ME TOO!!! Think positive hope for the best, what other way is there to be a gamecock fan. Doom and Gloom is no fun, where is the joy or excitement in that???
Old 09-21-2017, 08:31 AM   #48
wincocks84
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 5775
wincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot material

6-6 to 7-5 I believe. With a shot at 8- 9. 6-6 is prob more likely now, but 7 wins is possible. Then again so is 5.
wincocks84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 09:11 AM   #49
Emery
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 11950
Emery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCgamecock9 View Post
I was being facetious with oh em gee. Back to real discussion, I partly blame having to face two conference opponents within the opening three weeks of the season. NO OTHER Power 5 team did that, and not even from the lower conferences from what I can tell. Why do we get these retarded schedules? It's a clear disadvantage.
But without it, we'd still be a nonfactor. Replace the NC State win with Northwest Carolina Tech and no one nationally would care about USC. I doubt anyone would know who Deebo was.

We had a chance with UK after the first three games to garner national focus again, be a dark horse in the east, and likely be a top 25 team with a non-conference game and 2 'easier' SEC games. Win UK and we may have been projected at 6-0 at midseason.

I think the middle tier power 5 opening games are a good idea. I don't like neutral sites and I don't like Thursday, but otherwise not a whole lot of people outside our fanbase would've watched any of our games.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 11:18 AM   #50
Dizzy01
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 10900
Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

I thought 8 was a reasonable goal coming into the season. I still think 6 is a worst case scenario. None of the other games I thought were winnable have significantly changed but even in the wins the offense hasn't looked as good as one would have hoped. 6 wins might still be a slight step backwards but it isn't a complete collapse either.
Dizzy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 11:41 AM   #51
Wisercock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 20000
Wisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot material

Without Samuel, and if Bailey misses more than one game, then 6 wins will be difficult. I am still hopeful for 6 wins though. 7 wins is unreasonably optimistic based on what we have seen so far.
Old 09-21-2017, 12:03 PM   #52
ColaCock
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 6800
ColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot material

I was predicting 5-7 for our record initially. Once we beat NC State and Mizzou, I was surprised and figured we could be an 8-4 team or better.

With the loss to Kentucky, I'm back to 5-7 if I'm honest. LaTech and Wofford are our only "sure wins" left on the schedule, and I really can't even call them that confidently.

If you look at our first two wins, they were helped by turnovers and special teams tremendously. Our offense didn't have to do a lot of work (we were outgained on all facets of the game against both opponents). Against Kentucky, the defense provided the same cushion but offense fell completely flat. Now without a big playmaker on the team, the offense will suffer more.

In short, I think our defense will keep us in games and give us a chance to win a couple more- but overall, I think our playcalling and lack of offensive firepower holds us back. Muschamp's "defense first" mentality plays into that as well and will promote a conservative approach to most things we do.

I'm going to say we beat LaTech this weekend, Arkansas at home, and won't win another game until Wofford.

ColaCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 12:17 PM   #53
Ace Dilcock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 13324
Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material

If we lost to UK because they are a better and more talented team, then yeah - 6 wins might be optimistic.

But if we lost to a less talented team because the players and coaches did not take UK seriously enough - which I believe to be the case - then we are still on track for 8-9 wins.

You learn more from your losses than from your wins, and we were overdue for a loss. Boom will correct the short yardage issues, the RB rotation will get tweaked, TJ will learn not to let up on spying the QB (just like he learned the lesson of sticking with the TE during the Mizzou game), we will un-sheath some new weapons at WR, and the players will actually stay focus in the future when the coaches say to stay focus.

Git dat La Tech!
Ace Dilcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 01:42 PM   #54
LegalCock
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 8000
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

Lots of our upcoming opponents look pretty poor to mediocre so far, so that is good.

Then again, I can't remember the last time we had a good season and got knocked around on the line of scrimmage.

Probably lost best offensive player for the season and best OL probably for most, if not all of it.
LegalCock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 02:18 PM   #55
Gamecocks0197
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 5500
Gamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotrice? View Post

Wofford - Beat them
Pretty much how I feel as well. The UK loss was unacceptable, but I wouldn't say the season is over. After the Missouri game, I was leaning towards 8-4. Now I'm back to 7-5, which is consistent with what I said over the summer.
Old 09-22-2017, 03:55 PM   #56
NAGamec0ckFan
Proverbs 14:12

Male

NAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot material

I think I predicted 6-7 wins, but I was pretty optimistic that we could win more. I would say now it would be 5-6, and I'm really not that optimistic about winning any more than that.
NAGamec0ckFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 03:57 PM   #57
Carolina4eva
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
Carolina4eva is crowing loudlyCarolina4eva is crowing loudlyCarolina4eva is crowing loudlyCarolina4eva is crowing loudlyCarolina4eva is crowing loudlyCarolina4eva is crowing loudlyCarolina4eva is crowing loudlyCarolina4eva is crowing loudlyCarolina4eva is crowing loudlyCarolina4eva is crowing loudlyCarolina4eva is crowing loudly

I'm going to be optimistic and say 8-4. Losses to Clemson and Georgia and another bad one

Army National Guard

Last edited by Carolina4eva; 09-22-2017 at 05:48 PM..
Carolina4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 04:07 PM   #58
GamecockUltimate
BIGGER. STRONGER.LONGER

Male

GamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot material

i still think we beat A&M, La tech, Wofford, vandy, pull and upset no either UT or UF, and i think we beat Arkansas. sooo 7 wins. id take that.
GamecockUltimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 04:11 PM   #59
jseal777
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 800
jseal777 rules the CockPitjseal777 rules the CockPitjseal777 rules the CockPitjseal777 rules the CockPitjseal777 rules the CockPitjseal777 rules the CockPitjseal777 rules the CockPitjseal777 rules the CockPitjseal777 rules the CockPitjseal777 rules the CockPitjseal777 rules the CockPit

I think we find 8 wins. Only games we don't have a chance are Clemson and UGA
jseal777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 06:00 PM   #60
wincocks84
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 5775
wincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot material

Good thing we are playing LaTech this weekend. After losing deebo we will need this week to find out who our other playmakers will be.
wincocks84 is offline   Reply With Quote