CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
NAGamec0ckFan
kingofnerf
The Yancey
Captain9Dragons
Spurticus
Rooster'srule
Spur's Addiction
Senior Rooster
GregoryHouse
TKE226
Uniforms vs Clemson (2282)
South Carolina (991)
Mike Leach on CFP (790)
GameDay Kickoff: The (507)
This Egg Bowl might (369)
FCC to end net neutr (333)
Tailgating with dogs (243)
Do you feel awkward (225)
Star Wars game day t (177)
HAPPY TURKEY DAY MY (172)
New Smart TV
2018 Commitment - Dakereo
NFL: GIANTS @ REDSKINS Th
2018 - Dorian Gerald
NCAAF: VIRGINIA TECH @ VI
South Carolina
Uniforms vs Clemson
24 in the CFP rankings
Happy Thanksgiving!!!
Can we run the ball?

Old 06-26-2017, 10:38 AM   #21
Gamecocks0197
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 5500
Gamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot material
Default Re: We Don't Use Star Ratings - Will Muschamp

The best quarterback in school history was a three star. It helps to have 4 and 5 stars, but that doesn't equals success. On the flip side, a two star doesn't mean he will for sure suck in college. That's all this is.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:47 AM   #22
Lonnie
Band

Male

CockyCash: 250200
Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emery View Post
Not trying to single you out, but this is coach speak. You'll never hear someone admitting the opposite, but you'll see it time and again in action.
I know, I just thought it was funny/ironic.

Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 10:58 AM   #23
cjerickson
5th Year Transfer

Male

CockyCash: 200
cjerickson is crowing loudlycjerickson is crowing loudlycjerickson is crowing loudlycjerickson is crowing loudlycjerickson is crowing loudlycjerickson is crowing loudlycjerickson is crowing loudlycjerickson is crowing loudlycjerickson is crowing loudlycjerickson is crowing loudlycjerickson is crowing loudly

I've always thought that if the evaluators were that good at what they did, then school's would pick them up as analysts/coaches.
cjerickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 11:01 AM   #24
henmania
Bowl MVP

Male

henmania is USC mascot materialhenmania is USC mascot materialhenmania is USC mascot materialhenmania is USC mascot materialhenmania is USC mascot materialhenmania is USC mascot materialhenmania is USC mascot materialhenmania is USC mascot materialhenmania is USC mascot materialhenmania is USC mascot materialhenmania is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjerickson View Post
I've always thought that if the evaluators were that good at what they did, then school's would pick them up as analysts/coaches.

Evaluators are eunuchs at an orgy. They see a lot but don't know how to do a damn thing.
henmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 11:05 AM   #25
cjerickson
5th Year Transfer

Male

CockyCash: 200
cjerickson is crowing loudlycjerickson is crowing loudlycjerickson is crowing loudlycjerickson is crowing loudlycjerickson is crowing loudlycjerickson is crowing loudlycjerickson is crowing loudlycjerickson is crowing loudlycjerickson is crowing loudlycjerickson is crowing loudlycjerickson is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by henmania View Post
Evaluators are eunuchs at an orgy. They see a lot but don't know how to do a damn thing.
Exactly, in my mind they weigh offers and coach speak more than any actual scouting they do. Its still useful that they aggregate all the info but I definitely don't live and die by their rankings.
cjerickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 11:28 AM   #26
92Pony
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1332476
92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material

Quote:
People are making too much of this, and I'll never understand why people are either 'it's about the rankings' or 'rankings don't matter'.

The facts are, by the vast majority, really good football players get higher rankings and statistically have a higher chance of success. The stars, again for the most part, result from stats and camps and offer lists. So, yeah, it's a safe bet that if a recruit has offers from Bama and LSU and Florida and Ohio State they'll be ranked higher, and may get a 'bump' in the rankings, because those are really good programs that feel like the kid deserves a scholarship. But take away those stars, I would still love to win recruiting battles consistently with those teams instead of NC State or Western Carolina or Kentucky.

And if a coach recruits based on stars alone, it won't work out. Ask Miami. The reason Bama and FSU and Clemson now are so good is because they recruit the stars but also had a focus on the non-skill positions. It's also the reason that Freeze could cheat like a MF and still fail.

Finally, don't delude yourselves. Muschamp would trade our roster with Bama or Clemson or FSU in a second. Maybe there would be some kids who 'don't fit system', but sometimes, as in all areas of life, natural talent supersedes work ethic or attitude. I think Cam Newton was the biggest d-bag in the history of college athletics, and I would trade him for every single starting QB we've had a USC save one.

Excellent post!
92Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 11:39 AM   #27
sully1
Blue Chip

Male

sully1 is crowing loudlysully1 is crowing loudlysully1 is crowing loudlysully1 is crowing loudlysully1 is crowing loudlysully1 is crowing loudlysully1 is crowing loudlysully1 is crowing loudlysully1 is crowing loudlysully1 is crowing loudlysully1 is crowing loudly

This same thing over and over again. Muschamp could care less about rivals, 247, etc. But that doesn't mean just because they have a guy a 4 star or 5 star he isn't going to offer them.

He just states that they offer kids and rate kids based on their own evaluation and not some internet, computer nerd's assessment. He doesn't care how rivals, 247, etc. have them rated. He cares about getting the guys they want based on their evaluation which might agree with rivals, 247, etc. evaluation or might not.

I agree with him....
sully1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 11:54 AM   #28
CapitolCock
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000002258
CapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockyMBA View Post
Wasn't there a study of the current players in the NFL. The majority of them were 2 and 3 star players. That simply says there is NO WAY of determining a recruits success in college or NFL. Stars are essentially recruiting services evaluation. WM just seems to trust his own evaluations. I'm that way in my job too. If it's my job, I'm evaluating the people myself for what I'm trying to do
The fact of the matter is that there are a lot less 4 and 5 star players than there are 3 and 2 star players. NFL teams still have to fill out their rosters, so naturally they will have to find 3 and 2 star players to do so.

To me, all the stars do is provide a platform for players to be recognized by programs. You can find a couple 5-star players each year that just won't be a good fit for the program, even if they are highly rated. I'm sure Muschamp and company use the star system to find recruits, but they eventually do an independent analysis to figure out if that player would do well in our system.

The same is also true for a player that may only have 2 stars or even no stars. It could be a player that doesn't get a lot of attention based on the program they are in or the fact that they don't get their name out often. If Muschamp hears about a guy that could be a diamond in the rough, he and the staff will watch the tape or invite them to a camp. If an offer is extended, the ranking sites will take notice and do their own evaluation to see if that player is worthy of another star or whatever the case may be.

I don't think there is a single coach out there who says, "we need an LB and this guy has 5 stars so we will offer him." Instead, that coach may say, "we need an LB and this guy has 5 stars so let's take a look and see if he would be a good fit for our system." Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think even Alabama actively recruits every single 5-star player.
CapitolCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 12:04 PM   #29
sandstorm2001
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 50700
sandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockyMBA View Post
Wasn't there a study of the current players in the NFL. The majority of them were 2 and 3 star players. That simply says there is NO WAY of determining a recruits success in college or NFL. Stars are essentially recruiting services evaluation. WM just seems to trust his own evaluations. I'm that way in my job too. If it's my job, I'm evaluating the people myself for what I'm trying to do
If you take percentages of recruits that make it to the NFL, kids that were 5 stars coming out of high school end up drafted at a higher rate than 4 stars and on down the line. Stars aren't perfect, but iirc if you get a 5* player it's statistically a coin flip whether or not they'll get drafted. If they get drafted they were probably pretty good in college. 3* get drafted at a 12% rate or something. 4* is somewhere in the middle. Maybe my percentages are off, but the idea is the same regardless.

The stars aren't perfect, but they're a reasonably good indicator.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:14 PM   #30
Emery
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 11950
Emery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocks0197 View Post
The best quarterback in school history was a three star. It helps to have 4 and 5 stars, but that doesn't equals success. On the flip side, a two star doesn't mean he will for sure suck in college. That's all this is.
Ummm, I'm not sure that's making the point you want to make. The best QB we've had in our history was a three star because the vast majority of our QBs are three stars. Maybe if we consistently recruited and developed 4-5 star QBs, Shaw wouldn't be remembered as the best that ever was.

And not trying to discount how good Shaw was, and a few bounces this isn't true, but as successful as he was--we've got a few rings the coach made to hand out and trophies from bowl games only fans remember.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 05:20 PM   #31
cocky2007
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 100796
cocky2007 is developing his combcocky2007 is developing his combcocky2007 is developing his combcocky2007 is developing his combcocky2007 is developing his combcocky2007 is developing his combcocky2007 is developing his combcocky2007 is developing his combcocky2007 is developing his combcocky2007 is developing his comb

Quote:
Ummm, I'm not sure that's making the point you want to make. The best QB we've had in our history was a three star because the vast majority of our QBs are three stars. Maybe if we consistently recruited and developed 4-5 star QBs, Shaw wouldn't be remembered as the best that ever was.

And not trying to discount how good Shaw was, and a few bounces this isn't true, but as successful as he was--we've got a few rings the coach made to hand out and trophies from bowl games only fans remember.
Not true. Since the scouting services started in 2002, we've started the following 4 star Qbs:

1. Newton
2. Mitchell
3. Smelley
4. Garcia
5. Mitch
6. Nunez
7. McIllwain
8. Bentley
cocky2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 05:41 PM   #32
wincocks84
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 5275
wincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot material

Quote:
we've got a few rings the coach made to hand out and trophies from bowl games only fans remember.
Ouch. The truth does hurt sometimes.
wincocks84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 05:42 PM   #33
wincocks84
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 5275
wincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot material

I think Newton, Nunez, and Smelley were all 3 stars.
wincocks84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 06:01 PM   #34
6pack
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 10500
6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material

Quote:

Thankfully we won't have this problem going forward. The past is the past and dwelling on it isn't worth it. At least that's how I view our previous seasons.
6pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 06:13 PM   #35
carolina_corpsman
2nd Team All-American

Male

carolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot material

Let's pull this thread back up in about 3 years and lets see where the team is then.
carolina_corpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 06:50 PM   #36
Blackland
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 5200
Blackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot material

It is interesting that our coaches do not care about the ratings, however, it does seem like the teams who consistently sign the highest rated players have the most success. So their must be some relationship between having a lot of highly rated players on your team and winning championships?
Old 06-26-2017, 06:52 PM   #37
willyb's hotdogs#1
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 2700
willyb's hotdogs#1 rules the CockPitwillyb's hotdogs#1 rules the CockPitwillyb's hotdogs#1 rules the CockPitwillyb's hotdogs#1 rules the CockPitwillyb's hotdogs#1 rules the CockPitwillyb's hotdogs#1 rules the CockPitwillyb's hotdogs#1 rules the CockPitwillyb's hotdogs#1 rules the CockPitwillyb's hotdogs#1 rules the CockPitwillyb's hotdogs#1 rules the CockPitwillyb's hotdogs#1 rules the CockPit

Quote:
People are making too much of this, and I'll never understand why people are either 'it's about the rankings' or 'rankings don't matter'.

The facts are, by the vast majority, really good football players get higher rankings and statistically have a higher chance of success. The stars, again for the most part, result from stats and camps and offer lists. So, yeah, it's a safe bet that if a recruit has offers from Bama and LSU and Florida and Ohio State they'll be ranked higher, and may get a 'bump' in the rankings, because those are really good programs that feel like the kid deserves a scholarship. But take away those stars, I would still love to win recruiting battles consistently with those teams instead of NC State or Western Carolina or Kentucky.

And if a coach recruits based on stars alone, it won't work out. Ask Miami. The reason Bama and FSU and Clemson now are so good is because they recruit the stars but also had a focus on the non-skill positions. It's also the reason that Freeze could cheat like a MF and still fail.

Finally, don't delude yourselves. Muschamp would trade our roster with Bama or Clemson or FSU in a second. Maybe there would be some kids who 'don't fit system', but sometimes, as in all areas of life, natural talent supersedes work ethic or attitude. I think Cam Newton was the biggest d-bag in the history of college athletics, and I would trade him for every single starting QB we've had a USC save one.
taneyhill!!

My other qb is a Bentley
willyb's hotdogs#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 07:01 PM   #38
6pack
1st Team All-SEC

Male

6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackland View Post
It is interesting that our coaches do not care about the ratings, however, it does seem like the teams who consistently sign the highest rated players have the most success. So their must be some relationship between having a lot of highly rated players on your team and winning championships?
Yes. No one's disputing that. However you need to still be able to find those players who fit your system. Even Bama, bad example I know, has some 3 star players lying around. They're not 5 stars top to bottom like everyone would have you believe. Where do you think Champ learned how to properly evaluate and recruit talent? Saban was a huge influence on him during his time at LSU.
Old 06-26-2017, 07:03 PM   #39
6pack
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_corpsman View Post
Let's pull this thread back up in about 3 years and lets see where the team is then.
Agreed. Let the man put his system completely into place before judging him.
Old 06-26-2017, 07:58 PM   #40
Three and Out
Bowl MVP

Male

Three and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocky2007 View Post
Not true. Since the scouting services started in 2002, we've started the following 4 star Qbs:

1. Newton
2. Mitchell
3. Smelley
4. Garcia
5. Mitch
6. Nunez
7. McIllwain
8. Bentley
At least 4 of these should have been 2*
Three and Out is offline   Reply With Quote