CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
carolina_corpsman
Blitzkrieg
gotrice?
RGHoskins
Master Bedroom
Three and Out
TastyLicks
cockybusiness2
Ace Dilcock
SanAntonioCock
2018 - Ronnie Jamiso (1296)
Ohio Replaces Lethal (425)
2019 - Ahdarrious Ge (297)
Splatoon 2 (225)
CFN Era Top 20 Coach (215)
2017 Team USA U19 Wo (162)
Beach Volleyball nab (152)
Discussion: 2019 Rec (129)
Nice addition for be (101)
2018 - KJ Henry
Nice addition for beach v
Discussion: 2018 Recruiti
2018 - Tyquan Johnson
2018 - Channing Tindall
2018 - Josh Vann
Beach Volleyball nabs a T
2019 - Ahdarrious Gee
Discussion: 2019 Recruiti
Hugh Freeze about to be f

Old 06-30-2017, 02:29 PM   #1
Darth Visor
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 1000866
Darth Visor is USC mascot materialDarth Visor is USC mascot materialDarth Visor is USC mascot materialDarth Visor is USC mascot materialDarth Visor is USC mascot materialDarth Visor is USC mascot materialDarth Visor is USC mascot materialDarth Visor is USC mascot materialDarth Visor is USC mascot materialDarth Visor is USC mascot materialDarth Visor is USC mascot material
Default Hit Stick: South Carolina's Three Most Underrated Defensive Players

https://armchairallamericans.com/hit...nsive-players/

Let me know if you guys agree! Anyone who should have made this list?
Old 06-30-2017, 02:57 PM   #2
davisd9
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 200
davisd9 is USC mascot materialdavisd9 is USC mascot materialdavisd9 is USC mascot materialdavisd9 is USC mascot materialdavisd9 is USC mascot materialdavisd9 is USC mascot materialdavisd9 is USC mascot materialdavisd9 is USC mascot materialdavisd9 is USC mascot materialdavisd9 is USC mascot materialdavisd9 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Hit Stick: South Carolina's Three Most Underrated Defensive Players

Would not consider Wonnum under rated as he has been mentioned by the media and coaching staff as someone expected to play a big role. Hard to say about Johnson as he came in with some hype but who knows how much he will even play to make a big difference. I can agree with Fenton, he should be mentioned more.

I will say that I think Blackshear will turn some heads this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
davisd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 03:01 PM   #3
Ace Dilcock
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 650
Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material

I believe that we have the potential for a much improved D. Everyone is back in the secondary with nice adds. We lose a couple of veteran LBs but return our best (BAW) and get Skai back, who is even better if 100%. And we return enough on the D Line to be as good against the run.

The weakness was the pass rush, and our best (English) is gone. So if this is right - if Brad Johnson will make a big splash as a Freshman and Wonnum steps up as a Sophomore - even the pass rush could be improved.

And, of course, another big advantage will be not having to be on the field so damn much because of our improved Offense. Oh, and having the premier D Coordinator in college football as our head coach helps. Boom!
Ace Dilcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 05:10 PM   #4
Goofyboy
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

I've been interested in Johnson since before signing, but seeing his size as more buck-like or linebacker than DE. He certainly has the height for DE, but seems a pass rush DE or coverage-capable linebacker coming in. The reports of his playmaking ability are outstanding. Wherever he goes, he should definitely add speed on the edge. We've got 3 coming in who could make some noise on the outside - Johnson, Bowen, and Greene. Staley is a little smaller than these guys, but the coaches think highly of him.
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 10:35 AM   #5
USCBASEBALL1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 311755
USCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyboy View Post
I've been interested in Johnson since before signing, but seeing his size as more buck-like or linebacker than DE. He certainly has the height for DE, but seems a pass rush DE or coverage-capable linebacker coming in. The reports of his playmaking ability are outstanding. Wherever he goes, he should definitely add speed on the edge. We've got 3 coming in who could make some noise on the outside - Johnson, Bowen, and Greene. Staley is a little smaller than these guys, but the coaches think highly of him.
Brad can play either Buck or DE. He is 6'4" and over 250 lbs. By time the season starts he will be 260 range and its all muscle.
USCBASEBALL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 12:25 PM   #6
sully1
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
sully1 has developed his gaff and talonssully1 has developed his gaff and talonssully1 has developed his gaff and talonssully1 has developed his gaff and talonssully1 has developed his gaff and talonssully1 has developed his gaff and talonssully1 has developed his gaff and talonssully1 has developed his gaff and talonssully1 has developed his gaff and talonssully1 has developed his gaff and talonssully1 has developed his gaff and talons

I think our dl is our weakness for sure. We couldn't stop the run and we had no inkling ass rush. Concerned it is going to be a huge weakness again this year.
sully1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 12:48 PM   #7
6pack
1st Team All-SEC

Male

6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1 View Post
I think our dl is our weakness for sure. We couldn't stop the run and we had no inkling ass rush. Concerned it is going to be a huge weakness again this year.
With the new guys coming in I'll reserve my judgment.
6pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 03:02 PM   #8
LegalCock
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 1000
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

Kier Thomas is going to be good. Kobe Smith is a promising young guy too.

Brad Johnson, I am optimistic but I don't think I would call him underrated as a highly touted prospect with zero snaps; it's 100 speculation on him.

Fenton got a ton of snaps in spring and spring game (and was trotted out for interviews a lot). Wouldn't be shocked if he takes a starting corner job from one of the other guys, so I don't see him as underrated.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 04:13 PM   #9
Lil Jerry_Seinfeld
Recruit

Male

Lil Jerry_Seinfeld is sharpening his clawsLil Jerry_Seinfeld is sharpening his clawsLil Jerry_Seinfeld is sharpening his clawsLil Jerry_Seinfeld is sharpening his clawsLil Jerry_Seinfeld is sharpening his claws

Do we have any highly rated players on defense, I know Moore is good but he's kind of a question mark due to injury and time off. And please don't list King as someone to be excited about this preseason.
Lil Jerry_Seinfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 04:21 PM   #10
6pack
1st Team All-SEC

Male

6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Jerry_Seinfeld View Post
Do we have any highly rated players on defense, I know Moore is good but he's kind of a question mark due to injury and time off. And please don't list King as someone to be excited about this preseason.
Brad Johnson and Aaron Sterling to name a couple. Why not get excited about King? Don't let his last game of the regular season fool you. The kid will be ferocious this year.
6pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 04:23 PM   #11
gotrice?
1st Team All-American

Male

gotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to gotrice?

Quote:
I don't understand why you wouldn't be excited about King in the preseason. He had 10 really strong games and closed the season out poorly in the final 3. I tend to believe we get more of the first 10 game version of King.

As for highly rated players Lammons, King, BAW, Kinlaw, Brad Johnson, and Skai are a few that come to mind.
gotrice? is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 04:24 PM   #12
Goofyboy
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

I'm thinking Dickerson, the DB, has really impressed the coaches as a newcomer with a potent amount of aggression and ball sense. He may get a chance to "turn some heads" at safety. I wouldn't be surprised to see him become a well-known name before long.
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 05:38 PM   #13
Lil Jerry_Seinfeld
Recruit

Male

Lil Jerry_Seinfeld is sharpening his clawsLil Jerry_Seinfeld is sharpening his clawsLil Jerry_Seinfeld is sharpening his clawsLil Jerry_Seinfeld is sharpening his clawsLil Jerry_Seinfeld is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotrice? View Post
I don't understand why you wouldn't be excited about King in the preseason. He had 10 really strong games and closed the season out poorly in the final 3. I tend to believe we get more of the first 10 game version of King.

As for highly rated players Lammons, King, BAW, Kinlaw, Brad Johnson, and Skai are a few that come to mind.
I'm not excited about King because of the last Clemson game. But I hope your right and he has an awesome season. It seems like we have a lot of stars on offense, but I couldn't think of any players on defense other than Moore that I thought were going to go to the League. But I also remember I thought we were going to stink in 2000 and the defense ripped Quincey Carter a new one. So I'm hoping for another season like that one.
Lil Jerry_Seinfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 05:42 PM   #14
gotrice?
1st Team All-American

Male

gotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot material

Quote:
I'm not excited about King because of the last Clemson game. But I hope your right and he has an awesome season. It seems like we have a lot of stars on offense, but I couldn't think of any players on defense other than Moore that I thought were going to go to the League. But I also remember I thought we were going to stink in 2000 and the defense ripped Quincey Carter a new one. So I'm hoping for another season like that one.
He got owned by arguably the top WR in the country last year. Mike Williams made the entire Bama secondary look bad in the CFP Final so it wasn't like he didn't just beat up on King, he beat up on basically everyone he faced. There was no shame in getting dominated by Williams.
Old 07-09-2017, 06:21 PM   #15
Legalman72
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 30000000000
Legalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot material

To follow a few other comments...

In defense of King, he was in very good position on many of Williams' catches. Williams was bigger, stronger and just better. I recall one TD where King was in perfect position but Watson put the ball up high and Williams went and got it.

King is pretty good and has very good potential. Hope he's muscled up a little.
Legalman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 06:39 PM   #16
Three and Out
Starter

Male

Three and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legalman72 View Post
To follow a few other comments...

In defense of King, he was in very good position on many of Williams' catches. Williams was bigger, stronger and just better. I recall one TD where King was in perfect position but Watson put the ball up high and Williams went and got it.

King is pretty good and has very good potential. Hope he's muscled up a little.
I hope his broken wrist he got during the spring game doesn't cause him to regress this year. Also, the comments on his inability to handle Mike Williams. Yes he wasn't strong enough, but Williams was the first WR drafted so a lot of NFL corners are going to struggle with him.
Three and Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 06:40 PM   #17
Three and Out
Starter

Male

Three and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCBASEBALL1 View Post
Brad can play either Buck or DE. He is 6'4" and over 250 lbs. By time the season starts he will be 260 range and its all muscle.
As I recall, you were the guy that brought Brad to the attention of CT two years ago. By the way, there was a nice piece in the paper on him.
Three and Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 06:44 PM   #18
sandstorm2001
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 50700
sandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotrice? View Post
He got owned by arguably the top WR in the country last year. Mike Williams made the entire Bama secondary look bad in the CFP Final so it wasn't like he didn't just beat up on King, he beat up on basically everyone he faced. There was no shame in getting dominated by Williams.
People seem to forget that King saved the Tennessee game for us. If he doesn't track that ball and break off his assignment to defend the pass there's a good chance they score on that drive. Not only did he defend it, he picked it off to help seal the game.
Old 07-09-2017, 06:47 PM   #19
gotrice?
1st Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three and Out View Post
I hope his broken wrist he got during the spring game doesn't cause him to regress this year. Also, the comments on his inability to handle Mike Williams. Yes he wasn't strong enough, but Williams was the first WR drafted so a lot of NFL corners are going to struggle with him.
I've heard he has gotten a bit stronger due to 5-10 pounds of extra muscle, which means still rail thin but every bit helps. I also think our safeties not being a big liability in coverage this year would go a very long way towards helping our CBs have better performances across the board.
Old 07-09-2017, 06:50 PM   #20
gotrice?
1st Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandstorm2001 View Post
People seem to forget that King saved the Tennessee game for us. If he doesn't track that ball and break off his assignment to defend the pass there's a good chance they score on that drive. Not only did he defend it, he picked it off to help seal the game.
Yep through the first 8-9 games of the season he was in contention for making ALL-SEC, the rest of the season didn't go as well.