CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
thekob
RGHoskins
Captain9Dragons
MountainCock
Wisercock
TastyLicks
Gamecockman12
SanAntonioCock
kingofnerf
Spur's Addiction
OKST MBB dismisses t (609)
Gamecock Baseball Fa (246)
400 evacuated after (213)
*** USC MBB (9-7, 4- (152)
Total lunar eclipse (61)
Coaching changes
*** #15 UofSC WBB (12-4,
*** USC MBB (9-7, 4-0) @
I wonder if Muschamp and
How Good Can Frank's Team
*** UofSC MBB (8-7, 3-0)
CBB: GAMECOCKS @ COMMODOR
Cannot navigate Gamecocks
No longer USC
OKST MBB dismisses three

Old 01-01-2019, 04:09 AM   #21
gotrice?
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 20020
gotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to gotrice?
Default Re: Offense

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmettoG27 View Post
I have been emotionally invested as a Carolina fan for 38 years through and through. Thought about slapping my mother for raising me as one at times. I cared for the program way before Muschamp thought of Carolina and will way after Muschamp moves on and forgets of SC. So I am invested. Invested to the point that if Muschamp is going to be the second coming of Brad Scott or Sparkey Woods then he needs to just leave now. I’m proud of what we can be and want it to happen.
Im am very pantient and willing to see what happens in 2019. spurrier left the muschsmp an absolute mess to take over. I think he has done great. But his actions in this bowl game rose giant red flag saying this guy probably
Isn’t the guy we need and is probably going to be another brad Scott or sparky woods where we win one or two games a year.

I don’t care if we play only too 1 a 12 teams next year. We better beat them. If we can’t out talent then then. I thing beats ruthless aggression and/or superior calls on coaching.

I work night shifts. I didn’t get to see the game. But I had the honor of waking up and checking ESPM scores- and having to double take that SC is losing by 28 points. And to top it off they haven’t scored a point! ThAt is what I woke up to before work. So yes, I’m piss... and don’t have much faith in the direction we are going anymore.
I know your pain on the night shift part. I stupidly set my alarm and woke up to watch that shit show. Needless to say that day and my shift in the following hours did not make me overly happy...
gotrice? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 08:30 AM   #22
JoeMorrisonLives
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 3000
JoeMorrisonLives is crowing loudlyJoeMorrisonLives is crowing loudlyJoeMorrisonLives is crowing loudlyJoeMorrisonLives is crowing loudlyJoeMorrisonLives is crowing loudlyJoeMorrisonLives is crowing loudlyJoeMorrisonLives is crowing loudlyJoeMorrisonLives is crowing loudlyJoeMorrisonLives is crowing loudlyJoeMorrisonLives is crowing loudlyJoeMorrisonLives is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockyboy View Post
We had a top 40 offense with the most inconsistent QB play I've ever seen, and some of you still think we have an OC problem? Lol
You're right, it's sense B-Mac kinda learned to call plays better as the test went on though. He was way better at the end of the year than earlier on.
JoeMorrisonLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 09:40 AM   #23
gotrice?
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 20020
gotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to gotrice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMorrisonLives View Post
You're right, it's sense B-Mac kinda learned to call plays better as the test went on though. He was way better at the end of the year than earlier on.
I think the next step for McClendon and Bentley is to get better at making methodical drives down the field. Both McClendon and Bentley like the kill shot and against defenses like UK and UVA that take that away at all costs but can still get some pressure on the QB the play calls and the execution have been poor. They both seem to excel against more risk oriented defenses but the ones that make you dink and dunk seem to make both impatient, plus the lack of a consistent running game hurts this as well. If they can figure that out our streak against UK ends in 2019.
gotrice? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 09:53 AM   #24
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 1472263
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Redzone playcalling was atrocious this year.
Old 01-01-2019, 11:34 AM   #25
CocksRgood
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 29340
CocksRgood is USC mascot materialCocksRgood is USC mascot materialCocksRgood is USC mascot materialCocksRgood is USC mascot materialCocksRgood is USC mascot materialCocksRgood is USC mascot materialCocksRgood is USC mascot materialCocksRgood is USC mascot materialCocksRgood is USC mascot materialCocksRgood is USC mascot materialCocksRgood is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotrice? View Post
I think the next step for McClendon and Bentley is to get better at making methodical drives down the field. Both McClendon and Bentley like the kill shot and against defenses like UK and UVA that take that away at all costs but can still get some pressure on the QB the play calls and the execution have been poor. They both seem to excel against more risk oriented defenses but the ones that make you dink and dunk seem to make both impatient, plus the lack of a consistent running game hurts this as well. If they can figure that out our streak against UK ends in 2019.
I agree. While most fans seem to believe its all about QB, I think the answer is a Marcus Lattimore caliber running back. Once the opposing defenses have to focus on a legitimate running game the pressure comes off the QB. Bentley, Hilinski or whoever with a hot arm can look like a Heisman candidate. We have legitimate receivers. Mon Denson showed signs at times this year when he was allowed, and we moved the chains. WE NEED A RUN GAME.
CocksRgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 11:39 AM   #26
roosterdude21
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 3211936517
roosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CocksRgood View Post
I agree. While most fans seem to believe its all about QB, I think the answer is a Marcus Lattimore caliber running back. Once the opposing defenses have to focus on a legitimate running game the pressure comes off the QB. Bentley, Hilinski or whoever with a hot arm can look like a Heisman candidate. We have legitimate receivers. Mon Denson showed signs at times this year when he was allowed, and we moved the chains. WE NEED A RUN GAME.
Sooooooo badly.
roosterdude21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 12:18 PM   #27
JoeMorrisonLives
Blue Chip

Male

JoeMorrisonLives is crowing loudlyJoeMorrisonLives is crowing loudlyJoeMorrisonLives is crowing loudlyJoeMorrisonLives is crowing loudlyJoeMorrisonLives is crowing loudlyJoeMorrisonLives is crowing loudlyJoeMorrisonLives is crowing loudlyJoeMorrisonLives is crowing loudlyJoeMorrisonLives is crowing loudlyJoeMorrisonLives is crowing loudlyJoeMorrisonLives is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotrice? View Post
Good observation. It always seems if Bentley's play breaks down it's late against a team that is getting on the pass. Our OL was highly uncharacteristically bad against the pass rush vs UVA which hurt him going through progressions. Don't know how you fix how game if he doesn't have time for progressions unless you're using deep patterns for decoys and have the underneath routes be hot, if that's what would open it up a bit I'm sure they'll see it in film review.
JoeMorrisonLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 12:32 PM   #28
Wisercock
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 20000
Wisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot material

We were outcoached in the Bowl game and at several other crucial times this year. We were rarely outcoached under Spurrier.
Old 01-01-2019, 12:41 PM   #29
Wisercock
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 20000
Wisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cack View Post
It's hard to get a grip on how I feel about the Offense. Even while under Roper I felt we had tools all over the field, but a lot was being left out there due to lack of execution. Plays would be there, but Jake would over throw the receiver. Holes would be open, but the back would run into the line.

When he named BMac the OC I was very skeptical. I thought it was an awfully ballsy move to promote a first time coordinator after the Offense was the main issue for him losing his first job. I believe we had Werner on the line when that move was made which made it a lot easier decision.

Looking at total Offense though ... maybe it wasn't a terrible promotion after all.

2016 - rank 104, total yards 4,518, avg per game 348, points per game 20.8
2017 - rank 102, total yards 4,382, avg per game 337, points per game 24.2
2018 - rank 40, total yards 5,543, avg per game 426, points per game 30.1

Just looking at the numbers, you can't really be upset with the changes made from Roper to Bmac. It's just again, you saw so many plays and so many chances missed. Now, was it bad passes by Bentley, was it drops by the receivers, was it missed gaps by the backs? We have some talent on Offense, but the consistency was just still not there.

Hell, those numbers are with crapping the bed against Virginia, not doing hardly anything against Akron, and a bazillion dropped passes against Kentucky and aTm.

Since everybody is comparing him to Spurrier ... we'll take a look at Spurrier's peak seasons Offenses. Again, this is Steve Spurrier, Offense Guru.

2011 - rank 61, total yards 4,856, avg per game 374, points per game 30.1
2012 - rank 76, total yards 4,895, avg per game 377, points per game 31.5
2013 - rank 34, total yards 5,880, avg per game 452, points per game 34.1
2014 - rank 36, total yards 5,754, avg per game 443, points per game 32.6

The main and biggest difference is the final column and where I believe the problem with these (Muschamp's) Offenses has been ... points per game.

When Spurrier's Offenses got down in the Redzone, they scored touchdowns. He even said time and time again, the reason we won ball games is because when we got down there we got 7 and not 3s.

The play calling, no matter who's called the plays the last 3 years, in the redzone has been absolutely mind blowing at times. Saturday we kept trying to run this toss play that took forever to happen and was obvious to anyone with eyes. Every single time we ran it they had 3 guys on the back immediately. We got down in the redzone, and that was the first play we ran for a negative 3. We just get down there and seem to have absolutely no creativity whatsoever.

For me, that should be the biggest focus going into the Offseason for 2019. Develop redzone plays.
I wonder if Joyner is going to get a legitimate chance to win the starting QB job next year or the year after? I've heard people say move him to RB for the spring and he would immediately improve our running game. But is his passing ability such a lost cause that his elusiveness would add nothing to the offense as a QB? My biggest complaint about Bentley is he is too slow. When opposing defenses put pressure on him more times than not they had a sack.
Old 01-02-2019, 06:14 PM   #30
cockyboy
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 3111
cockyboy rules the CockPitcockyboy rules the CockPitcockyboy rules the CockPitcockyboy rules the CockPitcockyboy rules the CockPitcockyboy rules the CockPitcockyboy rules the CockPitcockyboy rules the CockPitcockyboy rules the CockPitcockyboy rules the CockPitcockyboy rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1 View Post
Redzone playcalling was atrocious this year.
I agree with this, but part of the problem is we have no real running threat at the qb position like elite teams do.
cockyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 06:21 PM   #31
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
CockyCash: 20200
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisercock View Post
I wonder if Joyner is going to get a legitimate chance to win the starting QB job next year or the year after? I've heard people say move him to RB for the spring and he would immediately improve our running game. But is his passing ability such a lost cause that his elusiveness would add nothing to the offense as a QB? My biggest complaint about Bentley is he is too slow. When opposing defenses put pressure on him more times than not they had a sack.
Actually ... Jake is really good at avoiding pressure when someone breaks loose in the backfield. Of course, if someone comes in from the blind side or just gets there in a flash, yeah, but Jake is probably one of the better ones at maneuvering away from pressure when it gets to him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoovecock View Post
I agree with Cack.
cack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 06:23 PM   #32
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
CockyCash: 20200
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockyboy View Post
I agree with this, but part of the problem is we have no real running threat at the qb position like elite teams do.
So Trevor Lawrence and Jake Fromm are more running threats than Bentley?

The problem is, instead of a quick slant, screen, curl, out route, we run "go to the back of the endzone and we're just going to throw it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoovecock View Post
I agree with Cack.
cack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 07:02 PM   #33
Senior Rooster
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 151240000
Senior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CocksRgood View Post

We do not have a RUN game or a RB. DENSON when sent in usually rips off 1 run but then is stuffed over and over. We do NOT have a RB.
The new RB Harris coming next year and Pickens our new DL who can be used at Goal to Go and short yards may give us a shot.
Old 01-06-2019, 12:17 PM   #34
Absfract
World Traveler

Male

Absfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisercock View Post
We were outcoached in the Bowl game and at several other crucial times this year. We were rarely outcoached under Spurrier.
No one outcoached Spurrier IMHO... ever. If we could somehow get Spurrier as the OC calling plays and personnel changes, we could expect to be SECe champs with this staff.

Spurrier would have pulled Bentley more than once this year and better managed the clock, we would have had at least one more win... maybe 3.
Absfract is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 04:40 PM   #35
Flameout12
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absfract View Post
No one outcoached Spurrier IMHO... ever..
UConn (Frozen Pizza Bowl) and Bobby Johnson/Vandy ('08 & '09) for sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absfract View Post
Spurrier would have pulled Bentley more than once this year and better managed the clock, we would have had at least one more win... maybe 3.
Agree. MS would have started the TAMU game & maybe more. HBC would also have played DP.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 06:05 PM   #36
803scdantes
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 5200
803scdantes is USC mascot material803scdantes is USC mascot material803scdantes is USC mascot material803scdantes is USC mascot material803scdantes is USC mascot material803scdantes is USC mascot material803scdantes is USC mascot material803scdantes is USC mascot material803scdantes is USC mascot material803scdantes is USC mascot material803scdantes is USC mascot material

Sc ranked 91st this year in rushing yards per game on average at 152 yards a game. Only 15 rushing tds for the whole year.

Ranked 26th in passing offense.

Ranked 117th in red zone offense

Think running offense is the handicap on our offense.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:28 PM   #37
Goofyboy
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

Stats don't tell anywhere near the whole story. Teams are often able (and do) crowd the box and stop the run because the QB does't make them pay with accurate passes. If a QB is inconsistent or dink plays are not called, defenses don't have to respect the pass. If receivers and backs drop easy open catches, the defense can clog running lanes and fly to the ball carrier. On the other hand, an anemic rushing game puts pressure on the passing game and often forces 2nd or third and long. We had a few team losses this year where a couple of key plays on either side of the ball could've turned the tide, especially A&M and Florida.
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote