CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
thekob
RGHoskins
Captain9Dragons
MountainCock
Wisercock
TastyLicks
Gamecockman12
SanAntonioCock
kingofnerf
Spur's Addiction
OKST MBB dismisses t (600)
Gamecock Baseball Fa (239)
400 evacuated after (209)
*** USC MBB (9-7, 4- (143)
Total lunar eclipse (52)
*** #15 UofSC WBB (12-4,
Coaching changes
*** USC MBB (9-7, 4-0) @
I wonder if Muschamp and
How Good Can Frank's Team
*** UofSC MBB (8-7, 3-0)
CBB: GAMECOCKS @ COMMODOR
Cannot navigate Gamecocks
No longer USC
OKST MBB dismisses three

Old 01-08-2019, 03:35 PM   #21
sosfan812
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 5500
sosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Championships Start Here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiscoCocky View Post
I see a lot of “well we’re improving on recruiting trail”. Which is better than failing outright, but just a reminder Muschamp ain’t the coach that Spurrierr was. So we can’t expect to win anymore than 8 games with top 20 classes. Hate to be a pessimist (or an actual realist/Tater fan according to sunshine pumpers) but even if we do somehow get top 10 classes that might not be a cure all. Our current coach had a couple of top 3 classes at UF and was gone in under 5 years. Quite honestly until champ proves he can beat the big boys uga/UF/Clemson we’re stuck at 8-9 wins tops (and those will be schedule dependent wins).
Best case scenario they exceed your expectations.
Worst case scenario the cupboard has talent for the next coach.
sosfan812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 03:42 PM   #22
BiscoCocky
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 5500
BiscoCocky is USC mascot materialBiscoCocky is USC mascot materialBiscoCocky is USC mascot materialBiscoCocky is USC mascot materialBiscoCocky is USC mascot materialBiscoCocky is USC mascot materialBiscoCocky is USC mascot materialBiscoCocky is USC mascot materialBiscoCocky is USC mascot materialBiscoCocky is USC mascot materialBiscoCocky is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosfan812 View Post
Best case scenario they exceed your expectations.
Worst case scenario the cupboard has talent for the next coach.
I’ll sctually take that to be quite honest.
BiscoCocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:31 PM   #23
kacrosinsc
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 89145
kacrosinsc rules the CockPitkacrosinsc rules the CockPitkacrosinsc rules the CockPitkacrosinsc rules the CockPitkacrosinsc rules the CockPitkacrosinsc rules the CockPitkacrosinsc rules the CockPitkacrosinsc rules the CockPitkacrosinsc rules the CockPitkacrosinsc rules the CockPitkacrosinsc rules the CockPit

Quote:
We saw our future in the two high school all star games. Pickens was one of the top 4 performers at the ua game, in which he was often doubled team in the game, and Cam was observed as one of , if not the best, corner backs in the aa game. Along with Cam, in the aa game, our QB recruit, Hilinski, finished as one of the top 2 QB during the practice week. If you want to look for any positives and hope for our program then start right here. 3 of our recruits are also 3 of the best in the nation.

For all those that say Muschamp isn't bringing in any elite talent then explain the above.
Can he or his staff effectively coach them? We shall see.
kacrosinsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 10:28 PM   #24
RedneckCPA
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 800
RedneckCPA rules the CockPitRedneckCPA rules the CockPitRedneckCPA rules the CockPitRedneckCPA rules the CockPitRedneckCPA rules the CockPitRedneckCPA rules the CockPitRedneckCPA rules the CockPitRedneckCPA rules the CockPitRedneckCPA rules the CockPitRedneckCPA rules the CockPitRedneckCPA rules the CockPit

Fkn A, people. Can we stop with all the bashing of Boom and our team?!?

It took Dabo how many years to build Klempson? Who thought he was a good hire? Who would have retained him after his first few average seasons. Who had confidence that he had the right assistants in Scott/Elliott? Who thought he was a completely dorky Opie Taylor bumfck (actually - maybe I still think that with no disrespect to Ron Howard)? But his AD left him alone and gave him some time. I would argue the greatest "thing" that has happened at Klempson is that they have been given time to build and they have had consistency in their assistants. Other than Venerables (who was no big deal before he got to Klempson), who have they hired that has been flashy? No one. But they have had continuity.

Don't get me wrong - I don't want Dabo and I don't want to be Klempson. But they have built their program well with a strong foundation.

We have hired good assistants. We got rid of the worst performer last year and maybe another this year. We have kept some high-profile assistants when they had opportunity to go else. The BOT has stepped up to pay competitive assistant salaries. We are recruiting really well. Our freshmen were beasts this year and give great hope for the next 2-3 years. We pulled in some really highly rated players that appear to have the leadership qualities we want. Our facilities are competitive. The intensity of our team and the "never quit" of our team (disregard UVA game!) has increased dramatically under Muschamp. They are playing better fundamental football (other than when they forget how to tackle and catch balls!). We don't have major discipline issues. We made a lot of on-field coaching adjustments this year.

Maybe we don't win a natty soon. Maybe Boom doesn't ultimately pan out. But our trajectory is good. It is really good. We need to calm the fk down and quit acting like a bunch of spoiled brats who haven't gotten immediate gratification. We need to support this team and quit pretending that we know more than the people that get paid millions do run programs. And for those whose opinions are the loudest, put your money where your mouth is and contribute to the program instead of just spewing venom.

I am not suggesting we settle for mediocrity. But let's give these guys some time to sustain success.
RedneckCPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 10:32 PM   #25
gAmkok
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 4000
gAmkok is USC mascot materialgAmkok is USC mascot materialgAmkok is USC mascot materialgAmkok is USC mascot materialgAmkok is USC mascot materialgAmkok is USC mascot materialgAmkok is USC mascot materialgAmkok is USC mascot materialgAmkok is USC mascot materialgAmkok is USC mascot materialgAmkok is USC mascot material

Quote:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...xezKLBGqIY3gAl

As you can see our team ranking is 21st but if you look at the avg player ranking we are better than the 13th ranked team.
Using the avg player ranking our team would go from 21st to tied with Tenn at 16th.
Bumps us from 9th in SEC to 8th.
(also we're not better than the 13th team, we are better than the 19th team though)

While I like the job Muschamp is doing recruiting (I really do), more than half the teams in our conference are doing better. Maybe it's early and maybe we're climbing the ladder and maybe we can do more with less and maybe we're starting to build momentum. I hope we're doing all those things, but TODAY, we're average (mediocre) compared to our peers. Maybe that's ok right now, but I'd sure like to know when it won't be. My target is 2020.
gAmkok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 10:40 PM   #26
Garnet&BlackOp
Provacateur

Male

CockyCash: 420
Garnet&BlackOp has developed his gaff and talonsGarnet&BlackOp has developed his gaff and talonsGarnet&BlackOp has developed his gaff and talonsGarnet&BlackOp has developed his gaff and talonsGarnet&BlackOp has developed his gaff and talonsGarnet&BlackOp has developed his gaff and talonsGarnet&BlackOp has developed his gaff and talonsGarnet&BlackOp has developed his gaff and talonsGarnet&BlackOp has developed his gaff and talonsGarnet&BlackOp has developed his gaff and talonsGarnet&BlackOp has developed his gaff and talons

So since Mushcamp took over, national recruiting rankings (per 247) are 25, 21, 18 and 21. I'd say the first step is to getting a poll rating that matched one of those.
Garnet&BlackOp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 12:36 AM   #27
sandstorm2001
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 50700
sandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckCPA View Post
Fkn A, people. Can we stop with all the bashing of Boom and our team?!?

It took Dabo how many years to build Klempson? Who thought he was a good hire? Who would have retained him after his first few average seasons. Who had confidence that he had the right assistants in Scott/Elliott? Who thought he was a completely dorky Opie Taylor bumfck (actually - maybe I still think that with no disrespect to Ron Howard)? But his AD left him alone and gave him some time. I would argue the greatest "thing" that has happened at Klempson is that they have been given time to build and they have had consistency in their assistants. Other than Venerables (who was no big deal before he got to Klempson), who have they hired that has been flashy? No one. But they have had continuity.

Don't get me wrong - I don't want Dabo and I don't want to be Klempson. But they have built their program well with a strong foundation.

We have hired good assistants. We got rid of the worst performer last year and maybe another this year. We have kept some high-profile assistants when they had opportunity to go else. The BOT has stepped up to pay competitive assistant salaries. We are recruiting really well. Our freshmen were beasts this year and give great hope for the next 2-3 years. We pulled in some really highly rated players that appear to have the leadership qualities we want. Our facilities are competitive. The intensity of our team and the "never quit" of our team (disregard UVA game!) has increased dramatically under Muschamp. They are playing better fundamental football (other than when they forget how to tackle and catch balls!). We don't have major discipline issues. We made a lot of on-field coaching adjustments this year.

Maybe we don't win a natty soon. Maybe Boom doesn't ultimately pan out. But our trajectory is good. It is really good. We need to calm the fk down and quit acting like a bunch of spoiled brats who haven't gotten immediate gratification. We need to support this team and quit pretending that we know more than the people that get paid millions do run programs. And for those whose opinions are the loudest, put your money where your mouth is and contribute to the program instead of just spewing venom.

I am not suggesting we settle for mediocrity. But let's give these guys some time to sustain success.
This. We seem to forget that we were laughing at Dabo for 5 years while they put things together up there. Yeah we got blasted by Virginia, but they got embarrassed by WVU on their climb to the top. Muschamp took over a worse team in a worse situation and for some reason we expect him to have it all figured out after 3 seasons. Clemson's success felt like it happened overnight, but if you go back and look at everything that happened that's not even close to reality.
Old 01-09-2019, 12:49 AM   #28
2k15
Music Lover

Male

CockyCash: 2016201620162000
2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lankey62 View Post
Honestly, screw doing things the "right way." Pay whatever you have to pay to these recruits and get them here! Lord knows everyone around us is doing it, so why don't we?
I agree. Ethics is what the world currently makes of itself. If you stick with tradition for the sake of tradition, everyone else is going to think you're stupid.

College football is a business now. If we don't start making some sales like Kirby, Saban, Mullen, and Yabo Dabo Doo, we're going to go bankrupt.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:40 AM   #29
BringBackGarcia
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 1000
BringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k15 View Post
I agree. Ethics is what the world currently makes of itself. If you stick with tradition for the sake of tradition, everyone else is going to think you're stupid.

College football is a business now. If we don't start making some sales like Kirby, Saban, Mullen, and Yabo Dabo Doo, we're going to go bankrupt.

I like Muschamp. I think he's a good fit for our program and from everything I've read and his history, a nice guy.

That being said, if people don't think Muschamp knows how to cheat or work the system or whatever you want to call it coming from the teams and coaches he's come from, you're completely naïve.

My thoughts on this--a little success on field, a little back slapping and money frees up. As money frees up, a Florida pipeline may open up a bit more.
BringBackGarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 02:29 AM   #30
Three and Out
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 20500
Three and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiscoCocky View Post
I see a lot of “well we’re improving on recruiting trail”. Which is better than failing outright, but just a reminder Muschamp ain’t the coach that Spurrierr was. So we can’t expect to win anymore than 8 games with top 20 classes. Hate to be a pessimist (or an actual realist/Tater fan according to sunshine pumpers) but even if we do somehow get top 10 classes that might not be a cure all. Our current coach had a couple of top 3 classes at UF and was gone in under 5 years. Quite honestly until champ proves he can beat the big boys uga/UF/Clemson we’re stuck at 8-9 wins tops (and those will be schedule dependent wins).
Muschamp blows the doors off any defensive coach we had while Spurrier was here.
Three and Out is offline   Reply With Quote