CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
thekob
RGHoskins
Captain9Dragons
MountainCock
Wisercock
TastyLicks
Gamecockman12
SanAntonioCock
kingofnerf
Spur's Addiction
OKST MBB dismisses t (594)
Gamecock Baseball Fa (237)
400 evacuated after (205)
*** USC MBB (9-7, 4- (132)
Total lunar eclipse (43)
*** #15 UofSC WBB (12-4,
Coaching changes
*** USC MBB (9-7, 4-0) @
I wonder if Muschamp and
How Good Can Frank's Team
*** UofSC MBB (8-7, 3-0)
CBB: GAMECOCKS @ COMMODOR
Cannot navigate Gamecocks
No longer USC
OKST MBB dismisses three

Old 12-30-2018, 05:54 PM   #41
Hoganman1
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
Hoganman1 has developed his gaff and talonsHoganman1 has developed his gaff and talonsHoganman1 has developed his gaff and talonsHoganman1 has developed his gaff and talonsHoganman1 has developed his gaff and talonsHoganman1 has developed his gaff and talonsHoganman1 has developed his gaff and talonsHoganman1 has developed his gaff and talonsHoganman1 has developed his gaff and talonsHoganman1 has developed his gaff and talonsHoganman1 has developed his gaff and talons
Default Re: Bright spots from Belk Bowl...for real

No question that this was an embarrassing loss. How do you score 35 on Clemson, but 0 on UVA? However, I'm not ready to give up on Muschamp and staff as yet. I was concerned that Scar and DJ didn't get some snaps. I'm not sure having Jake's dad on the staff is a good idea. It makes it harder to pull him when he's having a bad game. My guess is Bobby will leave when his son leaves next year. Clearly, it's a process. If things don't improve next season, then there probably needs to be some changes.
Hoganman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 06:16 PM   #42
Old_School
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 200
Old_School has earned his spursOld_School has earned his spursOld_School has earned his spursOld_School has earned his spursOld_School has earned his spursOld_School has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrZyn View Post
Roderick can’t cover his man and gets lost in zone defense
I don’t think he is man coverage often, but yeah I never said he could cover. DJ Swearinger can’t cover great either that’s the main reason he keeps getting cut.
Old_School is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 06:34 PM   #43
willyb's hotdogs#1
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 5800
willyb's hotdogs#1 is USC mascot materialwillyb's hotdogs#1 is USC mascot materialwillyb's hotdogs#1 is USC mascot materialwillyb's hotdogs#1 is USC mascot materialwillyb's hotdogs#1 is USC mascot materialwillyb's hotdogs#1 is USC mascot materialwillyb's hotdogs#1 is USC mascot materialwillyb's hotdogs#1 is USC mascot materialwillyb's hotdogs#1 is USC mascot materialwillyb's hotdogs#1 is USC mascot materialwillyb's hotdogs#1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_School View Post
I donít think he is man coverage often, but yeah I never said he could cover. DJ Swearinger canít cover great either thatís the main reason he keeps getting cut.
i thought he got cut because he was continually badmouthing the coaching staff after a couple warnings. he was an alternate for the pro bowl..

willyb's hotdogs#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 06:34 PM   #44
DrZyn
El Logical

Male

CockyCash: 201562
DrZyn is USC mascot materialDrZyn is USC mascot materialDrZyn is USC mascot materialDrZyn is USC mascot materialDrZyn is USC mascot materialDrZyn is USC mascot materialDrZyn is USC mascot materialDrZyn is USC mascot materialDrZyn is USC mascot materialDrZyn is USC mascot materialDrZyn is USC mascot material

Bright spot: none of our 3 star recruits have pulled their commitment as of today
Old 12-30-2018, 06:50 PM   #45
TaySC
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 4621444
TaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post
I'm not going to sunshine pump what sucked from the Belk Bowl...vent thread and game thread have pretty much covered it...but there were some positives.

1-The defense.
I know, a tad controversial...but held UVA to 28 points (team average) and the last TD given up I pin on the lack of possession by the offense, and lack of not putting points on the board after getting deep into UVA territory twice, and throwing a BAD interception. In today's football, holding the opponent to a TD per quarter ain't too bad...your offense can't score 30, there is not much more you can ask a defense to do, not including all the injuries.

Agreed, a depleted defense got enough punts that we should have made this a game and had a chance to win.

I would have loved to have seen what they would have done with a few less injuries.

Quote:

2-RJ Roderick...guy played his butt off. Caused a fumble, played with energy and emotion.

A TRUE FR that was the absolute lowest rated recruit in the entire 2018 class, according to 247Sports. That 2018 class seems to have a ton of potential All Americans on it.

Quote:

3-Hank Manos...played pretty well in his first start. A few off center snaps, but for the most part, not a bad outing.

I realize it is hard to tell from a 28-0 loss, but I think this kid will be special for us. He was only a 3 star, BUT the coaches seem to really love him and I believe he is definitely the Center of the future. He has to work on being consistent with snaps, but I think that will come.

Quote:

4-Bryan Edwards...overall, a solid game. Caught passes when they were catchable. NO TDs, but I don't put that on him.

I don't remember what his stats looked like, but I felt like the skill position players on the offense really let us down. Fans can claim it was the gameplan, but 90% of it was poor execution, be it dropped passes or simply bad throws.

Quote:

5-Jaycee Horn...tough injury, but was playing fairly well.

Dude will be a beast for us. He started the season #2 on the depth chart behind Nixon. Personally, I think Horn is an upgrade at the position and shows that we are headed in the right direction with some solid recruiting.

Quote:
6-Mon Denson...not used enough, when he got the ball, made a play. Can't ask much more that that.

Not used enough for sure....

Quote:
7-Offensive gameplan...hear me out. With UVA averaging 28 per game, and a depleted defense, the right call is to turn it into a shootout and overwhelm. Against UF, team came out hot...against Clemson, lit up the board...first half of Akron got scores quick.

The plan was clear to try to air it out and get UVA down early. Nice strategy, but the offense did not execute. That is on the players.

I actually agree. The gameplan wasn't perfect, but had players made plays (i.e. caught simple passes) and the QB not missed on several easy throws, I think the momentum would have been completely different and possibly the outcome of the game. At least we would have had a solid chance IMO.
TaySC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 07:14 PM   #46
Old_School
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 200
Old_School has earned his spursOld_School has earned his spursOld_School has earned his spursOld_School has earned his spursOld_School has earned his spursOld_School has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyb's hotdogs#1 View Post
i thought he got cut because he was continually badmouthing the coaching staff after a couple warnings. he was an alternate for the pro bowl..

That doesnít help your job security when you blow your coverage often.
Old_School is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 07:16 PM   #47
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 1472263
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
How?
What qualitative or quantitative argument do you have to support that?
Why does Bama almost always execute? Why does Clemson execute so well?

Are you saying execution as a whole is left to pure chance and that coaches have no control over it? If that is the case, then why does Oklahoma execute so well on offense consistently? Why does Trevor Lawrence and his receivers execute so well consistently? How come we don't see Trevor Lawrence and the Clemson offense pull a Bentley and forget how to play football for a game?

Or do they just have better players? Perhaps we need better players so we can execute better. But who recruits the players?

Here is my theory. The better your coaching is, the more often you execute. The better your players are, the more often you execute. It is a combination of both. Coaches are responsible for coaching and recruiting. But to say it's left up to pure chance like you're suggesting is nonsense.
Old 12-30-2018, 08:29 PM   #48
SterlingBrooks
Lock Down Corner

Male

CockyCash: 260386
SterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot material

Quote:
Mostly yes...watch the game...gameplan and strategy on O was sound...players did not execute.

BMAC didn't throw an interception, or throw into triple coverage....guys were open underneath all day.

D, can't ask much more than to hold a team a TD a quarter.

You can argue coach should get the guys motivated to play...but from being in lockerrooms, sometimes no speech will get a team focused if the players don't want to be there. No halftime rah-rah speech will wake guys up sometimes.
If in year 3 of the rebuild your players aren't interested in playing the bowl game that is on the coach. It's an extreme example but imagine Saban was our coach, same players, same everything. Do you imagine his team losing by 4 tds? The answer is we would of trounced UVA. Instead we put up a goose egg.

Last edited by SterlingBrooks; 12-30-2018 at 08:43 PM..
SterlingBrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 08:51 PM   #49
Roosterboy
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1 View Post
Why does Bama almost always execute? Why does Clemson execute so well?

Are you saying execution as a whole is left to pure chance and that coaches have no control over it? If that is the case, then why does Oklahoma execute so well on offense consistently? Why does Trevor Lawrence and his receivers execute so well consistently? How come we don't see Trevor Lawrence and the Clemson offense pull a Bentley and forget how to play football for a game?

Or do they just have better players? Perhaps we need better players so we can execute better. But who recruits the players?

Here is my theory. The better your coaching is, the more often you execute. The better your players are, the more often you execute. It is a combination of both. Coaches are responsible for coaching and recruiting. But to say it's left up to pure chance like you're suggesting is nonsense.
Where you getting chance from.
Execution falls on the players. The coach can't execute...they can teach execution, they can't do it for them.

Also, having better players help. Great players can make an average coach look great...see Bellichek before Tom Brady.

No question coaches teach HOW to execute, but if the players can't make a play, even if there talent says they can, that is on them.

The only other thing a coach can do is cover up waekness, and run what the players can actually do. If they can only execute two plays, those are the two plays you run.

The only arguement you have is the coach is asking too much of the players, which may be true, and if so, that is on the coaches.

But as far as throwing, running, blocking the right guy, tackling s guy one on one or making the right read and throwing in the correct window, that is on the players once they have been shown.

If the coaches have not shown them how to execute, that is on them. That is not true though because the team has looked good at times.

We clearly are never going to agree on this.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 09:28 PM   #50
Flameout12
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Well not sure if the is a bright spot or not, but the game showed on ABC in Phoenix and people were watching.

Quote:
Execution falls on the players.

Get your head out of your butt. UVA had 4 weeks to prep. We got outcoached.
Happens all the time on Sundays.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 09:38 PM   #51
AikenRooster
Most hated poster.

Male

CockyCash: 5399
AikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to AikenRooster

Quote:
I'm not for pulling schollies, but benching poor performances can do wonders. Riding the pine is an excellent motivator for competitors.

I think you and I agree on more than the threads may show.
Appreciate the input.
We all want the same thing, brother: to see ONE SEC championship before we die.
Old 12-30-2018, 09:45 PM   #52
Wisercock
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 20000
Wisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot material

Behind Deebo, Bryan, and Shi we have no wide receivers worth a hoot. With Deebo out we had to play Vann, Dawkins, and Terrell (did he even play?) and while Vann has showed some flashes all the WR subs played pretty bad yesterday. We stopped throwing the ball to Crosby.

Not having reliable receivers affects Bentley's play a lot.
Old 12-30-2018, 10:43 PM   #53
11SWU10
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 1120
11SWU10 rules the CockPit11SWU10 rules the CockPit11SWU10 rules the CockPit11SWU10 rules the CockPit11SWU10 rules the CockPit11SWU10 rules the CockPit11SWU10 rules the CockPit11SWU10 rules the CockPit11SWU10 rules the CockPit11SWU10 rules the CockPit11SWU10 rules the CockPit

None! No bright spots.
We lost to an ACC team!
Two ACC teams.
- TEAM ONE - a bunch fudge miners for players
- TEAM TWO - Virginia, we embaraessed the SEC

The Future is NOW. (George Allen, Redskins)

Note to WM and FM, it is about winning. Out play, Out tough, Out smart just win. Find a way to get the ball to the best players nomatter the sport.
11SWU10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 11:00 PM   #54
Roosterboy
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by AikenRooster View Post
We all want the same thing, brother: to see ONE SEC championship before we die.
That would be nice.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 11:24 PM   #55
carolinamyke
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 5500
carolinamyke is USC mascot materialcarolinamyke is USC mascot materialcarolinamyke is USC mascot materialcarolinamyke is USC mascot materialcarolinamyke is USC mascot materialcarolinamyke is USC mascot materialcarolinamyke is USC mascot materialcarolinamyke is USC mascot materialcarolinamyke is USC mascot materialcarolinamyke is USC mascot materialcarolinamyke is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1 View Post
That is nonsense
Actually for most part itís the truth
carolinamyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 02:15 AM   #56
Schark
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 11400
Schark is USC mascot materialSchark is USC mascot materialSchark is USC mascot materialSchark is USC mascot materialSchark is USC mascot materialSchark is USC mascot materialSchark is USC mascot materialSchark is USC mascot materialSchark is USC mascot materialSchark is USC mascot materialSchark is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by SterlingBrooks View Post
Virginia, the France of college football pushed our shit in...I just want to die.
I would have no problem with every player being required to wear a t-shirt with this on it before they are allowed in the weight room during the entire offseason.

"Virginia, the France of college football pushed our shit in"
Old 12-31-2018, 05:34 AM   #57
Copperhead
Fight, Win, Kick Ass

Male

CockyCash: 204080
Copperhead is USC mascot materialCopperhead is USC mascot materialCopperhead is USC mascot materialCopperhead is USC mascot materialCopperhead is USC mascot materialCopperhead is USC mascot materialCopperhead is USC mascot materialCopperhead is USC mascot materialCopperhead is USC mascot materialCopperhead is USC mascot materialCopperhead is USC mascot material

1st Qtr- 15:00 Kickoff

4th Qtr- 0:00 (or in my case, turning that embarrassing crap off and taking down outside Xmas decorations after 1st JB int)
Old 12-31-2018, 09:35 AM   #58
Ace Dilcock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 128944
Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material

Bright spot.....

In 2008, we followed up a average 7-5 season with an embarrassing loss to Iowa in the Papa Johns Bowl. In 2009, more of the same - an even more embarrassing loss to UCONN in the Outback, second 7-6 record in a row.

In 2010, we won the East en route to a 9-5 season, then had three straight 11-2/Top Ten seasons. It is always darkest before the dawn.

I would put the game on continuous loop at the practice facility. Use it as motivation. Maybe, someone can realize that playing a DT QB is like playing an option team - play your assignment. You cannot let the QB escape containment on EVERY 3rd and long.

The other positive is that the injuries forced us to use a lot of young players. That will pay off with experienced depth is 2019.

I am very disappointed in the finish to 2018 - but that means there is even more reason to be positive for 2019.
Ace Dilcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 09:49 AM   #59
crow0328
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
crow0328 is developing his combcrow0328 is developing his combcrow0328 is developing his combcrow0328 is developing his combcrow0328 is developing his combcrow0328 is developing his combcrow0328 is developing his combcrow0328 is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Dilcock View Post
Bright spot.....

In 2008, we followed up a average 7-5 season with an embarrassing loss to Iowa in the Papa Johns Bowl. In 2009, more of the same - an even more embarrassing loss to UCONN in the Outback, second 7-6 record in a row.

In 2010, we won the East en route to a 9-5 season, then had three straight 11-2/Top Ten seasons. It is always darkest before the dawn.

I would put the game on continuous loop at the practice facility. Use it as motivation. Maybe, someone can realize that playing a DT QB is like playing an option team - play your assignment. You cannot let the QB escape containment on EVERY 3rd and long.

The other positive is that the injuries forced us to use a lot of young players. That will pay off with experienced depth is 2019.

I am very disappointed in the finish to 2018 - but that means there is even more reason to be positive for 2019.
I like the positive things you say but we still have a coach that doesnít have the balls to bench Bentley and our coordinators are too predictable
crow0328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 09:54 PM   #60
PalmettoG27
Kryptonian

Male

CockyCash: 5500
PalmettoG27 is USC mascot materialPalmettoG27 is USC mascot materialPalmettoG27 is USC mascot materialPalmettoG27 is USC mascot materialPalmettoG27 is USC mascot materialPalmettoG27 is USC mascot materialPalmettoG27 is USC mascot materialPalmettoG27 is USC mascot materialPalmettoG27 is USC mascot materialPalmettoG27 is USC mascot materialPalmettoG27 is USC mascot material

Great bright spot there. All is excused for being completely and utterly dominated.
PalmettoG27 is offline   Reply With Quote