CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
thekob
RGHoskins
Captain9Dragons
MountainCock
Wisercock
TastyLicks
Gamecockman12
SanAntonioCock
kingofnerf
Spur's Addiction
OKST MBB dismisses t (600)
Gamecock Baseball Fa (239)
400 evacuated after (209)
*** USC MBB (9-7, 4- (143)
Total lunar eclipse (52)
*** #15 UofSC WBB (12-4,
Coaching changes
*** USC MBB (9-7, 4-0) @
I wonder if Muschamp and
How Good Can Frank's Team
*** UofSC MBB (8-7, 3-0)
CBB: GAMECOCKS @ COMMODOR
Cannot navigate Gamecocks
No longer USC
OKST MBB dismisses three

Old 12-31-2018, 06:01 PM   #21
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

CockyCash: 7994501
CockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot material
Default Re: Blackshear gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockyboy View Post
Exactly, he was always in position, but hardly ever made the play.

Yes this points to some other posters points about the coaching might not be the only problem we are dealing with you have to football instincts and know how to make plays regardless of what coaches teach you.
CockyLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 12:12 PM   #22
sc455
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 50200
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockyLifer View Post
Yes this points to some other posters points about the coaching might not be the only problem we are dealing with you have to football instincts and know how to make plays regardless of what coaches teach you.
dl coaching will be addressed..quickly..
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 01:18 PM   #23
TucockShakur
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 3000
TucockShakur is USC mascot materialTucockShakur is USC mascot materialTucockShakur is USC mascot materialTucockShakur is USC mascot materialTucockShakur is USC mascot materialTucockShakur is USC mascot materialTucockShakur is USC mascot materialTucockShakur is USC mascot materialTucockShakur is USC mascot materialTucockShakur is USC mascot materialTucockShakur is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc455 View Post
Based upon what?
TucockShakur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 02:05 PM   #24
pitchcock
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 29698000
pitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSC2013 View Post
Not knocking him, he was a solid player, 1000x better than I ever was haha. But in context, he was hyped to be Clowney 2.0, a 5* JUCO. Like almost all our 4/5 stars he didnt play up to expectations. He did play solid though. Many of our star recruits severely underperform.
Lewis was a very solid player.

It’s not his fault the fans and media hyped him up as the next Clowney.

Biggest issue he had was poor players alongside him. From 2010-2013 we signed 2 quality DL...Clowney and Quarles. The other guys we signed would’ve struggled to start for a SoCon team. Pure laziness on the part of Jr and Lawing.
pitchcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 02:09 PM   #25
pitchcock
1st Team All-SEC

Male

pitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc455 View Post
I would imagine Lance is leaving. He tried jumping to UT last year when Pruitt got the job, it wouldn’t surprise me if he’s actively job shopping.

Hopefully Muschamp already has a young, aggressive, top notch recruiter on speed dial.
Old 01-01-2019, 02:16 PM   #26
pitchcock
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockyLifer View Post
Like him as a person but BAW was a bust as a player on the field. Can't tackle a pillow that is laying down in front of him.
Nice kid, good representative of the program, but unfortunately one of the most overhyped kids I can remember.

As noted, it was frustrating for 5 years seeing him in position to make a play, then either whiff completely or jump on the runner’s back and get dragged 7-10 yards downfield.

It’s why some people don’t believe totally in the star rating system...even the “experts” rated him high.
Old 01-01-2019, 02:52 PM   #27
crowcutta
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 6000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

i still held out hope before the season he would make an impact here over his final 2 years, but i guess he ultimately decided he wanted to go a place where hes most likely to start. we shall see, wish him the best. looking forward for us i wonder if we'll do anything different up front as far as personnel and philosophy. do we start a bigger group up front and maybe kick sterling out to buck/situational de?
crowcutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 09:45 AM   #28
thekob
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 100700
thekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot material

Quote:
TRue but we have SO many. Just in contrast, Clemsons 4/5 star guys always seem to live up to the hype. Same for UGA, Bama, etc. Ours seem like 50% hit or miss. What was the 5* JUCO DE in 2015 who was supposed to be our next Clowney? He ended up having a couple sacks and not much impact.
So somehow clemson recruits way more 4/5 star guys than us, and their guys "always" live up to the hype?

I get that the bowl loss (and especially the way we lost) stings, but this is silly.
thekob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 09:46 AM   #29
thekob
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 100700
thekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchcock View Post
I would imagine Lance is leaving. He tried jumping to UT last year when Pruitt got the job, it wouldn’t surprise me if he’s actively job shopping.

Hopefully Muschamp already has a young, aggressive, top notch recruiter on speed dial.
Lance always seems to be moving around looking for the next best thing if you look at his employment history.
thekob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 09:51 AM   #30
BringBackGarcia
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 1000
BringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot material

Big miss and really hurt our progress. Blackshear was supposed to the dude, and then nothing. Another case in point why we are so far behind other east schools right now--when the studs don't work out and you're banking on developing 3 star talent and freshman to line up against SEC lines, it's not going to go well.
BringBackGarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 10:04 AM   #31
RedneckCPA
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 800
RedneckCPA rules the CockPitRedneckCPA rules the CockPitRedneckCPA rules the CockPitRedneckCPA rules the CockPitRedneckCPA rules the CockPitRedneckCPA rules the CockPitRedneckCPA rules the CockPitRedneckCPA rules the CockPitRedneckCPA rules the CockPitRedneckCPA rules the CockPitRedneckCPA rules the CockPit

I hate to see anyone leave but to say it is a big miss that really hurts our progress seems like a overstatement to me. He hasn't done much for the past 3 years and I don't have a ton of confidence he would do much next year. He seemed to pick it up some this year but he wasn't lighting the world on fire. I was excited to see what he could do but I think he only leaves if he realizes he won't be playing much.

I am glad that he appears to have gotten his life turned around - and I am a little frustrated that he wouldn't be more loyal to a staff that shepherded that turn around. There does not appear to be any animosity on his part so I have to assume he is leaving because he felt like he won't play a lot next year. That suggests to me that even he sees that he is not a big part of the future.
RedneckCPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 10:33 AM   #32
BringBackGarcia
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 1000
BringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckCPA View Post
I hate to see anyone leave but to say it is a big miss that really hurts our progress seems like a overstatement to me. He hasn't done much for the past 3 years and I don't have a ton of confidence he would do much next year. He seemed to pick it up some this year but he wasn't lighting the world on fire. I was excited to see what he could do but I think he only leaves if he realizes he won't be playing much.

I am glad that he appears to have gotten his life turned around - and I am a little frustrated that he wouldn't be more loyal to a staff that shepherded that turn around. There does not appear to be any animosity on his part so I have to assume he is leaving because he felt like he won't play a lot next year. That suggests to me that even he sees that he is not a big part of the future.

I didn't mean him leaving, I meant his lack of contribution. He was supposed to be the next big thing on the line, and there were a lot of those guys around the same years signing, that really didn't do anything but we were counting so much on them.
BringBackGarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 10:47 AM   #33
RedneckCPA
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 800
RedneckCPA rules the CockPitRedneckCPA rules the CockPitRedneckCPA rules the CockPitRedneckCPA rules the CockPitRedneckCPA rules the CockPitRedneckCPA rules the CockPitRedneckCPA rules the CockPitRedneckCPA rules the CockPitRedneckCPA rules the CockPitRedneckCPA rules the CockPitRedneckCPA rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackGarcia View Post
I didn't mean him leaving, I meant his lack of contribution. He was supposed to be the next big thing on the line, and there were a lot of those guys around the same years signing, that really didn't do anything but we were counting so much on them.

Ahhh - that makes more sense. I think we have a lot of "unmotivated" guys from that era. It is disappointing that we either misread or miscoached so many guys. Maybe it is natural for the "old coach's guys" to fade out.

That said, I think the quality and contribution of our sophomores and especially our freshmen this year tells me that we are better reading and/or better coaching the guys were are getting now.

When we get 4 years' worth of guys fighting like the freshmen did this year, I think we will be a pretty tough opponent for anyone.
RedneckCPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 10:53 AM   #34
Lonnie
Band

Male

CockyCash: 2001
Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Good luck young man.

Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 01:03 PM   #35
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 118025146
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

I don't have an issue with Blackshear not panning out: he was shot all to pieces, for heaven's sake, so really that IMO was what busted him. And we hyped him up, along with Lewis, Sawyer, Lamin, and Wideman, because we all knew how much impact a dominant DL had on the team's success during the 11-win years and 5-win streak versus Clemson, and we saw the DL depth drop off, and how the team's success dropped off as a consequence. And we knew we needed to replenish that DL depth, to maintain that success (which honestly is still true today)....

And those players were highly rated, in our own defense. That group was as highly rated by the services as any other group of DL we recently brought into the program, not counting Clowney. They just never developed into great players for us. I don't know about what will happen with Thompson, but I have always wondered if he is a true DL position coach, and not just a recruiting coach that gets stuck somewhere on a staff so that staff can capitalize on his recruiting strengths. Seems he's been a LB coach more often than he's been a DL coach. I'd much more prefer to have a dedicated DL coach that knows how to coach strong DLs, and has a wealth of experience in developing DL players. But I'd also like to keep the recruiting strong too....

Thompson was twice voted the top recruiter in the nation during his career, but both times were when he was on Nick Saban's staff at Alabama, and that kind of program support can skew the curve a bit, if you know what I mean.....

As to Blackshear, I always hoped he would regain his footing and become a major player for us, in part because the team needed someone along the DL to step up. I thought he was closer to becoming a contributor this season, and would help depth for next season, but really on a list of expected depth production, I had him pretty well down the line. We should have really strong DL depth in terms of numbers for the next 2-3 seasons....

Congratulations on getting your degree young man, and good luck in your future endeavors....
ConwayGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 01:52 PM   #36
hank scorpio
Yellow Bellied Sapsucker

Male

CockyCash: 3300400
hank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot material

I'm always the type of guy to wish the kid luck and thank him for what he's done, but having met this particular kid recently and him trying to pick a fight with me, all I can say is good riddance. I don't think he's a good kid at all.
Old 01-05-2019, 04:49 PM   #37
Ace Dilcock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 128944
Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material

Shameik had two injuries in HS that dropped his stock and impacted his future. He was not close to a 5* buy the time he left HS, but we were focused on the rating pre-injury and got our hopes up a little too high. The shooting did not help either, but the ceiling had been lowered before then.

Qua Lewis was never a 5* DE. He was totally off the radar coming out of HS but was the #3 JUCO, and was a solid player for us. Just not Clowney.

Pickens is the highest rated D Linemen since Clowney - a 5*. Webb, Kinlaw, Anderson, Johnson, Sandidge, Enagbare, Belk are all 4* players, so the future is bright.
Ace Dilcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 11:15 PM   #38
AtlGamecock3307
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 5500
AtlGamecock3307 is USC mascot materialAtlGamecock3307 is USC mascot materialAtlGamecock3307 is USC mascot materialAtlGamecock3307 is USC mascot materialAtlGamecock3307 is USC mascot materialAtlGamecock3307 is USC mascot materialAtlGamecock3307 is USC mascot materialAtlGamecock3307 is USC mascot materialAtlGamecock3307 is USC mascot materialAtlGamecock3307 is USC mascot materialAtlGamecock3307 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Not knocking him, he was a solid player, 1000x better than I ever was haha. But in context, he was hyped to be Clowney 2.0, a 5* JUCO. Like almost all our 4/5 stars he didnt play up to expectations. He did play solid though. Many of our star recruits severely underperform.
I think our hit/miss rate on highly rated recruits is the same as every school. It might have more to do with you expecting more from them because they play for “your” team. Or that you build them up into something they are not. Case in point M Lewis who you are talking about wasn’t a five star on any recruiting network. He was a four star on all of them.
AtlGamecock3307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 11:57 PM   #39
zcoop
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1001405007
zcoop rules the CockPitzcoop rules the CockPitzcoop rules the CockPitzcoop rules the CockPitzcoop rules the CockPitzcoop rules the CockPitzcoop rules the CockPitzcoop rules the CockPitzcoop rules the CockPitzcoop rules the CockPitzcoop rules the CockPit

Kid's been through a lot, hope he catches on wherever he goes and uses that degree.
zcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 12:09 PM   #40
Absfract
World Traveler

Male

CockyCash: 3000
Absfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPitAbsfract rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by hank scorpio View Post
I'm always the type of guy to wish the kid luck and thank him for what he's done, but having met this particular kid recently and him trying to pick a fight with me, all I can say is good riddance. I don't think he's a good kid at all.
That type of behavior pretty much got him were he is then IMHO. He's lucky to have a degree and hope he changes over time to avoid stupid situations.
Absfract is offline   Reply With Quote