CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
thekob
RGHoskins
Captain9Dragons
MountainCock
Wisercock
TastyLicks
Gamecockman12
SanAntonioCock
kingofnerf
Spur's Addiction
OKST MBB dismisses t (594)
Gamecock Baseball Fa (237)
400 evacuated after (205)
*** USC MBB (9-7, 4- (132)
Total lunar eclipse (43)
*** #15 UofSC WBB (12-4,
Coaching changes
*** USC MBB (9-7, 4-0) @
I wonder if Muschamp and
How Good Can Frank's Team
*** UofSC MBB (8-7, 3-0)
CBB: GAMECOCKS @ COMMODOR
Cannot navigate Gamecocks
No longer USC
OKST MBB dismisses three

Old 01-01-2019, 02:16 PM   #1
Hoganman1
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
Hoganman1 has developed his gaff and talonsHoganman1 has developed his gaff and talonsHoganman1 has developed his gaff and talonsHoganman1 has developed his gaff and talonsHoganman1 has developed his gaff and talonsHoganman1 has developed his gaff and talonsHoganman1 has developed his gaff and talonsHoganman1 has developed his gaff and talonsHoganman1 has developed his gaff and talonsHoganman1 has developed his gaff and talonsHoganman1 has developed his gaff and talons
Default Bryan Edwards

Has anyone heard whether Edwards is going pro or staying for his senior season? I sure hope he decides to stay. With Deebo leaving, he'll be our number one receiver next year. We really need him and his big body.
I like having tall wide receivers. I watched Texas A&M play last night. Their receivers are all 6'2" or taller and NC State had a hard time covering them.
I haven't checked to see how tall our wr recruits are, but here's hoping they're tall too. If Jake is our qb next year he'll need some big targets when he starts throwing high like he sometimes does when he's under pressure.
Hoganman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 02:27 PM   #2
CoverTwo
If C2 doesn't trust you..

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material
Default Re: Bryan Edwards

He has been our number 1 receiver for 3 years.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 02:39 PM   #3
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

CockyCash: 7994501
CockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post

True.
CockyLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 02:42 PM   #4
crowcutta
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 6000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

the deadline for anyone to declare is january 14th. though i have no insight to his decision making process, i think he'll take a few days and decide well before then. obviously a lot goes into making a decision like this, but one train of thought based on the last 5 games is he'll stay. he didnt have his biggest games to end the season with the 3 fbs opponents in particular the most yardage he had was 41. if he had put up bigger numbers over that stretch it may have made him more likely to leave. then theres the competing thought shared a lot as of late around here that the undesirable end to our season will push him out the door.
crowcutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 02:43 PM   #5
Hoganman1
Walk On

Male

Hoganman1 has developed his gaff and talonsHoganman1 has developed his gaff and talonsHoganman1 has developed his gaff and talonsHoganman1 has developed his gaff and talonsHoganman1 has developed his gaff and talonsHoganman1 has developed his gaff and talonsHoganman1 has developed his gaff and talonsHoganman1 has developed his gaff and talonsHoganman1 has developed his gaff and talonsHoganman1 has developed his gaff and talonsHoganman1 has developed his gaff and talons

You're right. My bad. I guess it just seemed like Deebo got all the publicity.

I assume no one has heard what he's planning to do.
Old 01-01-2019, 02:47 PM   #6
ccured
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 25200
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

Quote:
I don't know why so many people can't accept this
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 02:51 PM   #7
Ace Dilcock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 128944
Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material

Edwards had a good year but was dealing with an ankle injury, so he could have done even more. He can come back with no Deebo and really shine, put up big numbers for the season and career, and make more money in the NFL.
Ace Dilcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 02:52 PM   #8
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

CockyCash: 7994501
CockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoganman1 View Post
You're right. My bad. I guess it just seemed like Deebo got all the publicity.

I assume no one has heard what he's planning to do.

All good Deebo's big plays were more flashy when he was playing but he never did play much as Gamecock even when he was healthy. Bryan is our most consistent with playing time and production our QB just has some issues that prevent him from having gaudy numbers as well as his own drops this past year.
CockyLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 03:01 PM   #9
sosfan812
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 5500
sosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Dilcock View Post
Edwards had a good year but was dealing with an ankle injury, so he could have done even more. He can come back with no Deebo and really shine, put up big numbers for the season and career, and make more money in the NFL.
The uva cb shut edwards down. That should tell him he isn't ready for the nfl.
sosfan812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 03:07 PM   #10
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 118025146
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
His freshmen year in 2016, Deebo was clearly our #1 receiver. He didn't score as many receiving TDs as Edwards, but led the team in rushing TDs by being utilized in the jet sweep, which was a play for a WR, so he contributed to the offense in that capacity. Had more rec. yds than Edwards in 2 fewer gms. But then, Edwards was a true freshman, and he also contributed.

In 2017, Deebo was lost for the season after 3 games, but he gave glimpses of how much of a contributor he would be on offense and special teams before going down. Edwards stepped up in Samuel's absence and became the top WR for us.

This past season, Deebo again led the team in receiving yds despite playing in 1 fewer game, and also led in receiving TDs with 11. First season of a WR with 10+ rec. TDs since Alshon in 2010.

I would say, 2016: Deebo was our #1
2017: Edwards was our #1, with Deebo out due to injury
2018: I would say it was more of a #1-A and #1-B, but if I had to put someone in the #1-A slot, it would be Deebo over Edwards. But Edwards is clearly a #1 caliber WR for us, and he should be our clear top WR for 2019 if he chose to return.

With the offense showing signs of improvement this season - the bowl game notwithstanding - and some depth of talent at the QB and OL positions, unless Edwards reeeally wants to get out of CFB - he's got family/advisors in his ears constantly working him to go for the money - he should be excited about having the best chance he's had thus far to elevate his draft position into the top 2 rounds for the 2020 draft....
ConwayGamecock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 03:21 PM   #11
InletCock1989
5th Year Senior

Male

CockyCash: 400
InletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot material

He needs to work on those drops but he is someone who could benefit from a successful more efficient year.
InletCock1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 03:32 PM   #12
Hoganman1
Walk On

Male

You can't blame these kids for taking the money, but as a fan I like to see them stay for all four (or five) years. At least it's better than college basketball where "one and done" is becoming the norm. While I feel sure Edwards will eventually play on Sunday, I agree with those that think his stock will go up next year. Plus he'll get to showcase his talents against the Number One and Number Two teams in the country from this year and probably next year too.
Old 01-01-2019, 03:37 PM   #13
dreammachine
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 20500
dreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot material

As good as he has been at times, another year of outstanding play would benefit his draft status greatly and get him more money. I just don't think he is ready yet?
dreammachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 03:53 PM   #14
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 118025146
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosfan812 View Post
The uva cb shut edwards down. That should tell him he isn't ready for the nfl.
The bowl game was very disappointing, for many ways. But lets put it where it belongs: it wasn't supposed to be this way, but the bowl game ended up like being a game against a FCS opponent - the team wasn't focused on playing it at a high level, and therefore what production that came out of it - good or bad - has to be taken with a huge handful of salt.

It was a bad showing by our coaching staff that the team was prepared in the way it was, and they obviously played how they were prepared to play. It wasn't the best representation of how the team played this past season, and hopefully the staff won't let that happen ever again while they are employed at USC.

But having said all that, Edwards had one season where he was looked to as the clear #1 WR, and he had an above-solid season. Not great: not a 1,000+ yard season, or 10+ TD one. One issue that played against him in 2017 was ineffective play-calling, and inconsistent QB play.

We've seen signs of improvement in both areas: Edwards now has his best chance to have one of those seasons in 2019. I think he should take it, but I am a bit biased as a fan....
ConwayGamecock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 08:58 PM   #15
GSC2013
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
GSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot material

If hes smart he’ll go. Next year our schedule is all time brutal. No Deebo means those 6 top 12 teams we play will focus on him.

If Im was his advisor Id say go, nothing to gain.
GSC2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 09:00 PM   #16
gotrice?
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 20020
gotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to gotrice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSC2013 View Post
If hes smart he’ll go. Next year our schedule is all time brutal. No Deebo means those 6 top 12 teams we play will focus on him.

If Im was his advisor Id say go, nothing to gain.
Plenty to gain, his drop issues this year will cost him a couple rounds. If he comes back and has a big season he could go 1st or 2nd round. Currently he's probably a mid round draft pick, that's a few million dollars to gain.
gotrice? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 09:03 PM   #17
GSC2013
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
GSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotrice? View Post
Plenty to gain, his drop issues this year will cost him a couple rounds. If he comes back and has a big season he could go 1st or 2nd round. Currently he's probably a mid round draft pick, that's a few million dollars to gain.
Maybe, but that’s something he can show in individual team workouts and the combine that was an anomaly. His 2017 film didnt show it either. His agent can drum up a hand injury that was “never brought up” bc of the old team spirit rah rah college days etc but is fine now.
GSC2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 09:07 PM   #18
gotrice?
Heisman Candidate

Male

gotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSC2013 View Post
Maybe, but that’s something he can show in individual team workouts and the combine that was an anomaly. His 2017 film didnt show it either. His agent can drum up a hand injury that was “never brought up” bc of the old team spirit rah rah college days etc but is fine now.
And if that only comes from the agent then it'll be considered full of shit. You realize these teams will talk to our staff about players they're thinking about drafting right? So basically a phantom hand injury won't work. And I do agree he can excel in workouts, it's why him coming back can elevate him to a very high draft pick next year. He can go top 2 rounds in the 2020 draft, he won't go that high this year and it's a big financial difference especially if he finds a way to sneak into round 1.
Old 01-01-2019, 09:13 PM   #19
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

If I were on the fence I would rather go now than to face next year's brutal schedule with this suspect staff.

I miss Old Cocky Talk

The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 09:15 PM   #20
gotrice?
Heisman Candidate

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yancey View Post
If I were on the fence I would rather go now than to face next year's brutal schedule with this suspect staff.
I'd want the brutal schedule, it's a huge selling point to stay. Go out and dominate a couple of future NFL CBs and you elevate your draft stock. It's why kids flock to the SEC, the competition gives you plenty of opportunities for massive statement games against future NFLers.