CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
thekob
RGHoskins
Captain9Dragons
MountainCock
Wisercock
TastyLicks
Gamecockman12
SanAntonioCock
kingofnerf
Spur's Addiction
OKST MBB dismisses t (594)
Gamecock Baseball Fa (237)
400 evacuated after (205)
*** USC MBB (9-7, 4- (132)
Total lunar eclipse (43)
*** #15 UofSC WBB (12-4,
Coaching changes
*** USC MBB (9-7, 4-0) @
I wonder if Muschamp and
How Good Can Frank's Team
*** UofSC MBB (8-7, 3-0)
CBB: GAMECOCKS @ COMMODOR
Cannot navigate Gamecocks
No longer USC
OKST MBB dismisses three

Old 01-01-2019, 07:03 PM   #41
BrutusJ
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 5500
BrutusJ is USC mascot materialBrutusJ is USC mascot materialBrutusJ is USC mascot materialBrutusJ is USC mascot materialBrutusJ is USC mascot materialBrutusJ is USC mascot materialBrutusJ is USC mascot materialBrutusJ is USC mascot materialBrutusJ is USC mascot materialBrutusJ is USC mascot materialBrutusJ is USC mascot material
Default Re: Muschamp decided less practice was better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandstorm2001 View Post
Muschamp probably works twice as many hours as I do during the season. "Decompress" probably means something very different to him than it does to me.

It sounds like you must think Muschamp lied and he didn't go recruit and the players didn't work out. If you're going to make that kind of claim you need more evidence than "we lost real bad."
I don't care what he says. I've learned that is meaningless. You can make excuses for him, but the product speaks for itself.

And neither of the excuses he claimed are reasons for not practicing, especially considering how completely lost the entire team looked most of the game. I'd rather we just declined than give a half-assed effort before and during the game resulting in a loss to a crappy mid-pack ACC team.

We already have to take a ton of shit from Clemson fans because they are routinely beat our ass. Now we get to hear it from them about how a crappy ACC team also beats our ass.

I've never been more embarrassed of disgusted with a Carolina coaching staff, and that's bad considering what happened a few years ago.
BrutusJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 07:05 PM   #42
Wisercock
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 20000
Wisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutusJ View Post
I don't care what he says. I've learned that is meaningless. You can make excuses for him, but the product speaks for itself.

And neither of the excuses he claimed are reasons for not practicing, especially considering how completely lost the entire team looked most of the game. I'd rather we just declined than give a half-assed effort before and during the game resulting in a loss to a crappy mid-pack ACC team.

We already have to take a ton of shit from Clemson fans because they are routinely beat our ass. Now we get to hear it from them about how a crappy ACC team also beats our ass.

I've never been more embarrassed of disgusted with a Carolina coaching staff, and that's bad considering what happened a few years ago.
It will only change if we have more fans who demand better instead of so many making excuses.
Old 01-01-2019, 07:09 PM   #43
Wkrice91
Game MVP

Male

Wkrice91 is USC mascot materialWkrice91 is USC mascot materialWkrice91 is USC mascot materialWkrice91 is USC mascot materialWkrice91 is USC mascot materialWkrice91 is USC mascot materialWkrice91 is USC mascot materialWkrice91 is USC mascot materialWkrice91 is USC mascot materialWkrice91 is USC mascot materialWkrice91 is USC mascot material

As the old saying goes "when it's all said and done, there's more said than done".
Wkrice91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 07:18 PM   #44
Nureye
White helmets rule

Male

CockyCash: 6465
Nureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot material

Quote:
I wanted to, but I was banned for referring to Muschamp as a big, obese non-winner. Probably a good thing, seeing as how things went down. I was about to flip out during the game.
You might need another time out. Sheeesh.
Old 01-01-2019, 07:19 PM   #45
crow0328
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
crow0328 is developing his combcrow0328 is developing his combcrow0328 is developing his combcrow0328 is developing his combcrow0328 is developing his combcrow0328 is developing his combcrow0328 is developing his combcrow0328 is developing his comb

His assumption was bullshit. The team showed no desire to be there. The thing about the game that pissed me off the most was Muschamp proved he does not have the balls to bench Bentley. The damn waterboy could have played better. Nesxt year will be the first time in 53 years that I will boycott all football games until Bentley is benched or Muschamp is gone
crow0328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 07:43 PM   #46
Wkrice91
Game MVP

Male

Wkrice91 is USC mascot materialWkrice91 is USC mascot materialWkrice91 is USC mascot materialWkrice91 is USC mascot materialWkrice91 is USC mascot materialWkrice91 is USC mascot materialWkrice91 is USC mascot materialWkrice91 is USC mascot materialWkrice91 is USC mascot materialWkrice91 is USC mascot materialWkrice91 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by crow0328 View Post
His assumption was bullshit. The team showed no desire to be there. The thing about the game that pissed me off the most was Muschamp proved he does not have the balls to bench Bentley. The damn waterboy could have played better. Nesxt year will be the first time in 53 years that I will boycott all football games until Bentley is benched or Muschamp is gone
I'm not yet on the fire Muschamp train but i won't be investing any more money or emotion into this program until i see some improvements. I'm sick of mediocrity. Hell, based on the bowl game mediocrity would be a step up.
Wkrice91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 07:43 PM   #47
TaySC
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 4621444
TaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nureye View Post
You might need another time out. Sheeesh.

TaySC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 07:48 PM   #48
USCBaseball
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 690
USCBaseball is USC mascot materialUSCBaseball is USC mascot materialUSCBaseball is USC mascot materialUSCBaseball is USC mascot materialUSCBaseball is USC mascot materialUSCBaseball is USC mascot materialUSCBaseball is USC mascot materialUSCBaseball is USC mascot materialUSCBaseball is USC mascot materialUSCBaseball is USC mascot materialUSCBaseball is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaySC View Post
USCBaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 07:52 PM   #49
sandstorm2001
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 50700
sandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flameout12 View Post
What consensus? Did you take a poll?

Seems you're missing the point....the guy makes $4.2 mil/yr and gets out-coached in CLT by a team that in fact did use the extra practice time.

Criticism is warranted and perhaps more.
I read the variety of threads and that's the read I got on how the fans generally felt about it. Go read the Deebo thread(s). On the extreme end a poster was saying they should essentially get rid of bowl games.

No, that's not "the point" of this thread. That would actually be a legitimate criticism. OP said that Muschamp didn't have as many practices because he would rather "goof off". That's factually incorrect based on the linked article.

I made the trip to Charlotte for the game and didn't have a great time, so I'm all for criticism. I just take exception to a factually incorrect hitjob on our coaches.

Quote:

He laid out his plans before the game. You can't make an excuse for a game that hasn't happened. I'm saying it's not "goofing off" to go recruit. Also not an excuse, that's just an opinion on what constitutes working. As stated, I think "we should have practiced more" is a valid viewpoint, and you happen to have a lot of evidence to support that viewpoint. Instead the argument you've chosen is that Muschamp is lazy and just wanted to goof off instead of work. That's just an assault on his character and you have no evidence to back that up.
Old 01-01-2019, 08:02 PM   #50
Gaichon
Chartreuse Microbus, 10-4

Male

CockyCash: 999980500
Gaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot material

Meanwhile, I just read that Mendenhall lead a UVa practice Christmas day. Apparently they had "intense" practices all the way up to the game. Contrast in styles, I suppose.

Gaichon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 08:07 PM   #51
Roosterboy
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Can't say I agree with Champs idea. The main reason to going to a bowl is the extra practice time you get with your younger players.

Complete whiff by the staff on this one, and the lack of practice showed.

Hopefully it is a lessoned learned.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 08:14 PM   #52
Wisercock
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 20000
Wisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot material

Question: How many practices do you get to prepare for a bowl game. I know there is a limited number. (except for CFP teams) Second, how many did we use?
Old 01-01-2019, 08:14 PM   #53
gocockswyn
Bowl MVP

Female

gocockswyn is USC mascot materialgocockswyn is USC mascot materialgocockswyn is USC mascot materialgocockswyn is USC mascot materialgocockswyn is USC mascot materialgocockswyn is USC mascot materialgocockswyn is USC mascot materialgocockswyn is USC mascot materialgocockswyn is USC mascot materialgocockswyn is USC mascot materialgocockswyn is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecock88 View Post
More comedy from the program. We clearly didnít need to practice. When working hard to improve becomes something you need time off from you embrace sucking and mediocrity.
When we beat Alabama, they did the same thing that week and we had a bye week. Lol not too good
gocockswyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 08:39 PM   #54
Legalman72
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 19800000000
Legalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot material

We will not be outworked.
Legalman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 08:43 PM   #55
Jerseygator
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
Jerseygator is crowing loudlyJerseygator is crowing loudlyJerseygator is crowing loudlyJerseygator is crowing loudlyJerseygator is crowing loudlyJerseygator is crowing loudlyJerseygator is crowing loudlyJerseygator is crowing loudlyJerseygator is crowing loudlyJerseygator is crowing loudlyJerseygator is crowing loudly

That's just an awful plan for a bowl game. The coaches come across as soft. Spurrier was always criticized for spending "too much time" on the golf course, but I don't think he ever took this approach.
Jerseygator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 08:58 PM   #56
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 118025146
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

Very disappointing.....it's bad enough for a USC team to perform in a contest as if they do not care to give optimal effort, but it's totally unconscionable for the coaching staff to encourage such a poor showing. I would hope that the coaching staff was so concerned about the depth of the team due to injuries that they gave the time off to simply allow those players to heal, but it appears that the health of the team was good enough to hold full practices. And anyways if the health of the team was the real reason, I'd rather Muschamp explained it like that, instead of talking about decompressing.

Very disappointing indeed....
ConwayGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 09:15 PM   #57
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

Another nail in the coffin. The new prez/AD/coach can't get her soon enough.

I miss Old Cocky Talk

The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 09:22 PM   #58
BrutusJ
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

BrutusJ is USC mascot materialBrutusJ is USC mascot materialBrutusJ is USC mascot materialBrutusJ is USC mascot materialBrutusJ is USC mascot materialBrutusJ is USC mascot materialBrutusJ is USC mascot materialBrutusJ is USC mascot materialBrutusJ is USC mascot materialBrutusJ is USC mascot materialBrutusJ is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandstorm2001 View Post

He laid out his plans before the game. You can't make an excuse for a game that hasn't happened. I'm saying it's not "goofing off" to go recruit. Also not an excuse, that's just an opinion on what constitutes working. As stated, I think "we should have practiced more" is a valid viewpoint, and you happen to have a lot of evidence to support that viewpoint. Instead the argument you've chosen is that Muschamp is lazy and just wanted to goof off instead of work. That's just an assault on his character and you have no evidence to back that up.
Here what Saban said last week about recruiting and preparing.

"Thereís no question it is a little fragmented in trying to do all of these things at once. I think that any coach could probably tell you that. Youíre practicing during signing day, when people are signing. Youíre preparing for a game when youíre trying to wind up recruiting and manage your team as well as all of the things that are happening in recruiting. Itís a challenge. Thereís no question that itís a little fragmented in trying to do all of these things at once but I still think that you do the best you can. Now we have one thing to focus on and thatís the game.Ē

I don't see anything about "decompressing" and "getting away from the season" or "too many practices are like punishment and not a reward". The great coaches know the reward is winning. Compared to Saban, yes, he was goofing off.
Old 01-01-2019, 09:29 PM   #59
BrutusJ
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Meanwhile, Virginia was practicing on CHRISTMAS DAY.

“We had to,” said junior quarterback Bryce Perkins, perhaps the key on-field protagonist for the Cavaliers’ quick turnaround. “We had a goal out here, and the goal was to come out here and win. And for us to be successful, we had to practice on Christmas. And that’s what we did, and it definitely paid off.”

“I (wasn’t) too happy about that,” senior linebacker Chris Peace, a former star for Denbigh High in Newport News, admitted after going out a winner with two tackles and 1 1/2 sacks in his final college game. “I might not have showed it, but I was pretty upset. But I’m happy now. He said that’s the best gift he could give us, and he was right.”

https://www.dailypress.com/sports/dp...102-story.html
Old 01-01-2019, 09:30 PM   #60
CockNJersey
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 5533
CockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot material

I hate to break it to you, but if you think Champ's approach to the bowl game was a departure from the norm, you're very likely mistaken. You don't suddenly change your approach for game preparation for a bowl game. Numerous times this season I commented on here that we just looked unprepared. I couldn't put my finger on it, of course, because I don't know what goes on behind the scenes, but the best way I could describe it was just looking unprepared. Now, however, Champ has pulled back the curtain and exposed the dirty secret. We looked totally unprepared for UVA because we were unprepared. I now have SERIOUS SERIOUS concerns about how Champ is running the program. If you just decide not to maximize practice time for your bowl game, then how are you managing practices during the rest of the season.

Champ will get his time to turn this thing around, but this may be a comment that ultimately comes back to bite him.
CockNJersey is offline   Reply With Quote