CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
2k15
TaySC
Order 66
thumpin big
GAMEKEM
COCKYWOOD
Ironfan
taylorssc
SheckWes
AmonRa777
Ty’son Willians to x (2401)
Bianca Cuevas-Moore (644)
Jake Bentley progres (593)
2020 - Vershon Lee (503)
*** USC MBB (9-8, 4- (494)
2019 Preferred Walk (478)
Transfer Portal (443)
2020 - Jerrold Pough (426)
2020 - Jacyais Credl (369)
Tech question (290)
*** USC MBB (9-8, 4-1) vs
2019 - Shilo Sanders
Unanimous
WBB won't lead the nation
Ty’son Willians to xfer
Jake Bentley progression
Tech question
2020- Zykevious Walker
2018 College Head Coachin
Gamecock Baseball Fan App

Old 01-01-2019, 10:15 PM   #1
ffstreetdoc
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
ffstreetdoc rules the CockPitffstreetdoc rules the CockPitffstreetdoc rules the CockPitffstreetdoc rules the CockPitffstreetdoc rules the CockPitffstreetdoc rules the CockPitffstreetdoc rules the CockPitffstreetdoc rules the CockPitffstreetdoc rules the CockPitffstreetdoc rules the CockPitffstreetdoc rules the CockPit
Default How far from the top are we. And do we care?

Prior to our bowl game I had heard several media outlets and national sports guys state their concern about us and our "not caring about this game. nothing to prove" theory. The ones who stated that all picked UVA to win.

Then I read posts on the game thread giving the excuse "we didn't want to be there"! I will NEVER accept that as a valid reason for losing.

Every player on every team is programmed to win. Find me a player at this level that is out there playing just to be out there. That is what they do.

I have watched most of the important bowl games. Including games that involved team's that thought they should have been in better games. OSU played their asses off to win a game after they felt they should have been in the playoff. UK rose to the occasion in the 4th quarter to seal their win.

UGA just started, we will see how they do. In the 10 or so bowl games I have seen, I can say we had the worst performance.

My point is NO Carolina fan should ever accept that a game was not important enough to win as a reason for a loss. Every coach and player should be playing to win every time they play.

Are we so bad we can't beat a mid level ACC team or did the team and coaching stiff really not care about this game? Either way it is very concerning.
Old 01-01-2019, 10:32 PM   #2
Championshipcock
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
Championshipcock has hatched from the shell
Default Re: How far from the top are we. And do we care?

Couldn’t agree more! Not one team I have watched looked as unprepared and unmotivated as our team did!
Championshipcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 10:32 PM   #3
roosterdude21
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 3211936517
roosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot material

Yeah I’d like to hear from the coaches about why they think we did so piss poor in this bowl game and what they plan to do to try and fix it. In the beginning, that’s what I really liked about this staff —- very open and willing to take ownership for problem areas. I don’t hear much of that anymore.

Terrible bowl performance, I think we all can agree on that. But, I’m not quite ready to join the ‘blow it all up’ crowd, yet. I’m fine with giving the staff more time, I’d just like to know what the plan is going forward.

Also injuries sucked a nut this year. Not a crutch (all of those are taken), just a fact.
roosterdude21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 10:59 PM   #4
CockNJersey
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 5533
CockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot material

At this point, the words "Carolina" and "top" don't even belong in the same sentence.
CockNJersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 11:59 PM   #5
GSC2013
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
GSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot material

We are a LONG way from the top. And I dont know if the gap can be closed, maybe ever.

I care a lot, nothing makes my family (parents especially) happier than all of us cooking a meal and watching the Gamecocks win. Best memories with my Dad are Saturdays watching the Gamecocks.

But Im very realistic. The planets just arent gonna line up for an SEC championship at USC. Theres too much talent outside of this state that we cant get. The other team IN this state is getting too strong for us to win most in state battles for the limited 5-star types around here.

We are a program tbat can and should win 7/8 games consistently, with an occasional fall to 3-5 wins and an occasional surge to 9-11 wins. Thats it.
GSC2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 12:01 AM   #6
GSC2013
Banned

Male

GSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot material

And watching Texas currently mauling Georgia reminds me that hey, as big as the gal is between us and UGA is, they may be a 3 loss team.
Old 01-02-2019, 12:43 AM   #7
AikenRooster
Most hated poster.

Male

CockyCash: 5399
AikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to AikenRooster

I hope I'm wrong, but, the way things look right now, we're about to hit bottom, again, as a program, and we've been there at least twice in my lifetime.
Show me something positive. Please.
Old 01-02-2019, 12:45 AM   #8
GSC2013
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by AikenRooster View Post
I hope I'm wrong, but, the way things look right now, we're about to hit bottom, again, as a program, and we've been there at least twice in my lifetime.
Me too. I see 5-7 next year. Recruits will start bailing, players will stop believing and then everything gets stale. Tanner will give another year because of the 2019 schedule being so hard.

Not sure 2020 will be any easier. We draw LSU in 2020. Oh and its AT LSU. Sooo in 2020 we get @ Clemson, UGA, @ LSU, A&M, @ Florida etc etc etc

So back to back 5-7 seasons is highly likely
Old 01-02-2019, 12:46 AM   #9
gotrice?
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 57070
gotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to gotrice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AikenRooster View Post
How about our roster has improved each year and with this recruiting class it looks to be more of the same, an improved roster in 2019. We had an awful bowl game, that doesn't mean we're heading towards a 3-4 win season. We had a crap bowl game against UCONN and won our only East title the next year, people blow bowl results out of the water. People (including myself) got too high on the team after Michigan and tons of people are getting way too low on this team after UVA.
gotrice? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 12:48 AM   #10
gotrice?
Heisman Candidate

Male

gotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSC2013 View Post
Me too. I see 5-7 next year. Recruits will start bailing, players will stop believing and then everything gets stale. Tanner will give another year because of the 2019 schedule being so hard. Not sure 2020 will be any easier.
Wow you're up to a 5 win season prediction now? I thought that was our ceiling if things broke right according to you
Old 01-02-2019, 12:57 AM   #11
GSC2013
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotrice? View Post
Wow you're up to a 5 win season prediction now? I thought that was our ceiling if things broke right according to you
Um yes. 5 then. 5 now. Thats our ceiling and its likely what we’ll win. We will beat Vandy, CSU and UNC. I think we beat Missouri. And we’ll split App State/Tennessee. One of those we lose one we win.

Find me a 6th win.

Oh and in 2020 we trade Alabama for @LSU, so go ahead and find me 6 wins in that schedule too.
Old 01-02-2019, 12:59 AM   #12
GSC2013
Banned

Male

Sure glad we didnt get that Tom Herman idiot am I right!?
Old 01-02-2019, 01:01 AM   #13
gotrice?
Heisman Candidate

Male

Quote:
Um yes. 5 then. 5 now. Thats our ceiling and its likely what we’ll win. We will beat Vandy, CSU and UNC. I think we beat Missouri. And we’ll split App State/Tennessee. One of those we lose one we win.

Find me a 6th win.

Oh and in 2020 we trade Alabama for @LSU, so go ahead and find me 6 wins in that schedule too.
I must say I'm surprised you mark UF who we barely lost to in the Swamp with the walking wounded on defense or A&M who we lost to by 3 after a god awful 1st half as losses. I'm also not marking UK as a loss. There's definitely a 6th win in there.
Old 01-02-2019, 01:08 AM   #14
GSC2013
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotrice? View Post
I must say I'm surprised you mark UF who we barely lost to in the Swamp with the walking wounded on defense or A&M who we lost to by 3 after a god awful 1st half as losses. I'm also not marking UK as a loss. There's definitely a 6th win in there.
Well Florida is on the upswing. Just blew out Michigan and recruited better than us. Year 1 coach so they will get better year 2.

A&M we’ve never beat em. And its on the road. Jimbo Fisher will be in year 2. They will be better. I see NOTHING to suggest we win that.

Kentucky? They lose Snell and a handful of NFL guys on D. So in theory we should have a chance. BUT we’ve lost 5x in a row. And they can just run the Wildcat all day for 400 yards and we havent stopped it in half a decade.

So “definitely” a 6th win? No. Maybe? Maybe. But we also MAY lose to both App and Tennessee.
Old 01-02-2019, 01:08 AM   #15
wincocks84
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 5775
wincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot material

One bright spot is our recruiting this year. We need somebody to become a leader on the team though. We'll have plenty of chances to make a statement win, and all it takes is one to get momentum. 5 or 6 wins is probably the best bet, but like I said, get an upset and you never know.
wincocks84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 01:09 AM   #16
Old_School
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 200
Old_School is developing his combOld_School is developing his combOld_School is developing his combOld_School is developing his combOld_School is developing his combOld_School is developing his combOld_School is developing his combOld_School is developing his combOld_School is developing his comb

Quote:
Sure glad we didnt get that Tom Herman idiot am I right!?
He would have been gone by now anyways.
Old_School is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 01:18 AM   #17
gotrice?
Heisman Candidate

Male

Quote:
Well Florida is on the upswing. Just blew out Michigan and recruited better than us. Year 1 coach so they will get better year 2.

A&M we’ve never beat em. And its on the road. Jimbo Fisher will be in year 2. They will be better. I see NOTHING to suggest we win that.

Kentucky? They lose Snell and a handful of NFL guys on D. So in theory we should have a chance. BUT we’ve lost 5x in a row. And they can just run the Wildcat all day for 400 yards and we havent stopped it in half a decade.

So “definitely” a 6th win? No. Maybe? Maybe. But we also MAY lose to both App and Tennessee.
I posted in a different thread about UGA feeling snubbed, Michigan feels like they let the CFP slip through their fingers so I'll take it with a grain of salt. We'll see on UF, I like our chances in WB.

I'd mark A&M as a more likely loss than UF due to location, but I'm not sold on Jimbo unless he has a big time QB on his roster. He left a shitshow at FSU with nothing but top 5 recruiting classes, I'll leave it at not sold on A&M.

Kentucky loses 13 starters this year including their best players. If you mark that as a probable loss fair enough, I'll gladly put in a bet with you.

And I as for the App St and UT, I think we have better odds of sweeping those two than losing to those two. I certainly wouldn't be surprised at 1-1 but if I had to bet on a 2-0 vs 0-2 it'd be 2-0 all day.
Old 01-02-2019, 01:50 AM   #18
BrutusJ
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 5500
BrutusJ is USC mascot materialBrutusJ is USC mascot materialBrutusJ is USC mascot materialBrutusJ is USC mascot materialBrutusJ is USC mascot materialBrutusJ is USC mascot materialBrutusJ is USC mascot materialBrutusJ is USC mascot materialBrutusJ is USC mascot materialBrutusJ is USC mascot materialBrutusJ is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_School View Post
He would have been gone by now anyways.
Yep. He would be at Texas as soon as it opened.
BrutusJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 01:59 AM   #19
ACPhilson
Really hates Orange Teams

Male

CockyCash: 899700
ACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot material

Quote:
Me too. I see 5-7 next year. Recruits will start bailing, players will stop believing and then everything gets stale. Tanner will give another year because of the 2019 schedule being so hard.

Not sure 2020 will be any easier. We draw LSU in 2020. Oh and its AT LSU. Sooo in 2020 we get @ Clemson, UGA, @ LSU, A&M, @ Florida etc etc etc

So back to back 5-7 seasons is highly likely
You think we win 5?? I see 2 positive wins, 2 maybe wins. Total of 4 max. Tennessee a maybe. UK a maybe. If anyone thinks we kick the shit out of App State, might want to rethink that.

Bama, UGA, Clemson, a&m, Florida, Missouri (Kelly Bryant will kill us), Vandy is a maybe... UNC is a maybe. They’ll have that new QB that flipped from FSU, and we have a way of making Freshman QBs look like Heisman contenders. And if rumors are correct, and Justin Fields transfers to Tenn, we gonna have problems with them in the future. So, I just don’t see how we win more than 4 games. I think if we have a great season, it will be 6 wins at most. But I just don’t see it unfortunately.

https://i.imgur.com/oXRPWTA.gif
ACPhilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 07:49 AM   #20
GratefulCock
4-Star

CockyCash: 200
GratefulCock is crowing loudlyGratefulCock is crowing loudlyGratefulCock is crowing loudlyGratefulCock is crowing loudlyGratefulCock is crowing loudlyGratefulCock is crowing loudlyGratefulCock is crowing loudlyGratefulCock is crowing loudlyGratefulCock is crowing loudlyGratefulCock is crowing loudlyGratefulCock is crowing loudly

We are really far from the top. The peak cannot even be seen at this point. After watching our bowl game and then the Alabama playoff game, it doesn't even seem like the same sport. We're very far from the top...
GratefulCock is offline   Reply With Quote